tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

I’m not a Dictator, I’m a Communicator!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.11.2015 10:38

21 November, 2015
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
I’m not a Dictator, I’m a Communicator!

"God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us."
Ephesians 3:20, MSG

During a period of disharmony amongst the Manchester United football team, their manager came under some criticism and is reported to have defended himself, saying, “I am not a dictator, I am a communicator”. I don’t know anything about Louis van Gaal’s leadership style, but what a great description of Jesus, who, as our verse for today says, doesn’t push us around, but, by His Spirit working deeply and gently within us, communicates the Father’s love to us.

Sometimes it can be as if we see, or even want, Jesus to be a dictator. I remember, in my longing for healing, crying out to Him for the agenda, the plan, and the instructions. I pleaded with Him, “Please, just give me the passage to read, the prayer to pray, whatever it is I have to do!” It seemed logical to me. If He could give me a tick list, however long it was, however hard it was, I’d be determined, I’d set my will to work hard and achieve all that was on that list and tick off all the boxes. Then I’d be fixed! Healed! A fully transformed person!

I didn’t understand how confused my perceptions were: that the truth was that healing wasn’t dependent on me working hard and ‘getting it right’, and that, by His amazing grace and mercy, Jesus was much more interested in communicating God’s love than dictating any agenda, or even ministering the healing I was so desperate for. I have to admit that, at times, I found it all utterly frustrating, and would keep coming back to railing at Him, “I just want the agenda!”

Over the years I’ve come to realise that there are many of us who try to relate with Jesus in this way: pleading, cajoling, trying, and demanding. Even though it’s true, He never thunders back at us, “I’m not a dictator, I’m a communicator!” Instead, graciously and patiently, by His Spirit working deeply and gently within us, He communicates Father God’s love to us.

It takes time. It’s not the quick fix perhaps we’re crying out for. We have to be humbly willing to play our part: yielding to His way, that really isn’t our way. But it produces His very best. Gradually our eyes are opened.

By the very fact that Jesus doesn’t respond with the harshness we perhaps expect, His Holy Spirit begins to do His deep and gentle work of melting our defences. By the fact that He remains patient with us, is kind and gentle and doesn’t get irritable or touchy with us, He does His work of opening our hearts to the Father’s love. And by the fact that He believes in us and never gives up on us, perseveres with us and never fails us, bit by bit, He does His work of helping us to truly receive in our hearts what we’ve needed all along: His all compassionate, deep and unconditional love. And, far greater than simply receiving the healing of debilitating symptoms, then we have the greatest gift of all.

Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, I’ve tried and tried, and wanted agendas and tick lists, but I’m frustrated and weary of it all. Please help me to let go of trying to do it my way, which has become so ingrained in me. I want to see You as You really are – not a dictator god who wants to push me around. I want to allow You to work deeply in my mind, to melt my defences and do Your deep and gentle work of opening my heart and communicating Father God’s true love to my innermost being. Amen.
Today's Writer : Julie Smith
Annukka

Write It Down

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.11.2015 10:57

22 November, 2015
Write It Down

"Then the LORD said to Moses, "Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.""
Exodus 34:27, NIV

Recently, whilst visiting Kenya, I had a conversation with a dear friend. We’d spent time praying together on many occasions and writing down our prayer requests and also any words or scriptures the Lord gave us. After seven years of living in separate countries we’d both been keeping separate records, and now we thought about how faithful the Lord had been, not only answering our prayers but fulfilling the promises He gave us!

Every time the Lord wanted to do something new and significant He asked that the hearer should write it down. The Lord instructed Moses to write down the words of the Law. These words, written on a tablet of stone, were the instruction for the children of Israel on how to live a holy life. Later the Lord instructed them to write them down on the doorposts of their house, so they wouldn’t forget them, and also to bind them on their arms!

When we write down, it helps us to remember, to look back, and see a clear picture of how things were! The Old Testament was a shadow of the New Testament. If it hadn’t been written down for us we could hardly have understood the words of the New Testament. Also the prophets and scribes wrote down prophetic words about events and things that would come to pass so we’d know what to expect in the future.

It was so important to write things down that the Lord instructed kings to write down the words of the Law for themselves. ‘When he takes the throne of his kingdom, he is to write for himself on a scroll a copy of this law, taken from that of the priests, who are Levites. It is to be with him, and he is to read it all the days of his life so that he may learn to revere the LORD his God and follow carefully all the words of this law and these decrees and not consider himself better than his brothers and turn from the law to the right or to the left. Then he and his descendants will reign a long time over his kingdom in Israel (Deuteronomy 17:18-20).

Isn`t it great to look back and see what the Lord’s done? His faithfulness and truth! The prophecies are coming to pass even in our day and time.

Another amazing thing is that we can look back at His written Word and draw great faith through Scripture that was documented thousands of year ago! The Bible gives us an account of the deeds of God, for ‘All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness’ (2 Timothy 3:16).

Prayer: Thank You, Lord Jesus, for Your Word, given to us by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, so that by reading and studying we can understand You better! Give me understanding of Your Word, and help me to draw encouragement and instructions from Your word. Amen.

Today's Writer : Joan Rono
Annukka

Fathering

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.11.2015 10:28

23 November, 2015
Fathering

"But for those who are righteous, the way is not steep and rough. You are a God who does what is right, and you smooth out the path ahead of them."
Isaiah 26:7, NLT

When I reflect on what it is to be a father of four, I seem to focus on the times when I was imperfect in my fathering, but then I recall the other times when I went on adventures with my children, and was delighted when I saw the world anew through their eyes. One such time was when I took my oldest two and the youngest one on a climbing excursion in the Austrian Alps.

Our friend and guide took us to a location, which he and his adult friends climbed in a couple of hours. In my sense of adventure, I was taking my three children up the side of the hill that turned out to be a 1,230-metre mountain. My children at the time were 9,7, and 4 years old, and it didn’t take me long to figure out that my guide hadn’t calculated their smaller legs in his estimation of us completing the climb in 3-4 hours!

We were half-way up the mountain when my son needed me to encourage him to traverse a 50-metre long talus slope that slid under our feet, and was very hard going. As I stood behind him, encouraging him to take the next step, and always ready to catch him if he fell, I realised we weren’t going to make it back to the car in the daylight. At this stage, we had no choice but to continue going up to gain the easier descending trail back to the parking lot, now so far away. We reached the top with three exhausted children, and as soon as we stopped, my youngest began to fall asleep in my arms. I knew she’d need to be carried down the mountain. While sharing our meagre rations, I looked into my children’s eyes and saw the sense of pride in them as they thought about what they’d conquered. As their father, I was both glad and apprehensive that we’d embarked on this adventure together, because I knew we still had to go down the mountain in the dark!

Being their father, I had to give them hope of a successful journey, so I rallied them to their feet, and my guide and friend strapped my youngest, who was fast asleep by now, to his chest. He then produced a penlight for me to carry, as I took the rear of our troop, to help light our way. I was so thankful that the path was a series of gentle slopes with stairs on the steeper sections, rather than the cliffs that we’d ascended.

We still proceeded forward with caution, as we descended in the dark. At one point, we came upon a section where the designer hadn’t continued the handrail all on one side of the stairs, but rather switched for some reason to the other side, half-way down. At this time I had the penlight in my mouth, so that my hands could be free. I saw my oldest daughter was heading for that section where the handrail switched sides, and she hadn’t seen that it had. I suddenly foresaw that as she reached out for the handrail that wasn’t there she’d fall off of the stairs into the darkness below. Being unable to shout a warning, I quickened my pace to time myself to be there when she began to fall, and grabbed her jacket pulling her back to safety. I still remember her words to this day. “Thank you, Papa!” uttered in a barely audible whisper as I held her tightly.

How often our Father in heaven rescues us from falls into the darkest depths, as we traverse the slopes in our lives. Even as a fallible father, I was able to save my daughter from a dangerous fall. How much more is our heavenly Father able to rescue us? Our heavenly Father is always with us, encouraging us to go through those difficult sections, to give encouragement, and always ready to catch us if we slip. He even smooths out the path, removing the stones that would cause us to trip as we continue along in obedient trust of Him.

Are you held back from fear of what’s before you, even though you know it’s the way God has for you to go? Trust your Father to be there to save you from any possible slip you may encounter. His timing is perfect. His ability is unmatched. He never leaves us, nor forsakes us. His hand is steady and strong!

Prayer: Oh Father, how I need Your hand on me now, as I begin to move out on the path set before me! Show me the way! Help me to depend on You! I trust You to lead and protect me as I move along step by step. I will listen for Your encouraging words, and Your words of caution, knowing You’re with me! Your unfailing love is the foundation of my hope and success in this adventure You have for me. Thank You, Lord, for fathering me! Amen.
Today's Writer : Jim Person
Annukka

The Antidote to Disappointment

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.11.2015 11:11

24 November, 2015
The Antidote to Disappointment

"So it was, while they conversed and reasoned, that Jesus Himself drew near and went with them."
Luke 24:15, NKJV

In the busyness of our days we sometimes forget that Jesus the King of kings is waiting to be invited into all our momentary decision making. If you haven’t yet spoken personally with Him today, He’s standing in the doorway of your day, waiting for an invitation to come into the busyness of your life, concerns, cares, and even your conversations.

Scripture records that on the first day of the week, after the resurrection of Jesus, two disciples were making their way to the village of Emmaus. They were so engrossed in their conversation about the events of the previous few days, and in the sadness and disappointment of how things had turned out (‘But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel’ - verse 21), that they didn’t realise the man who came alongside them was, in fact, Jesus Himself.

Instead of battling in the flesh to work things out, we can make life so much easier for ourselves, if we learn to develop the habit of including Jesus in the detail of our day. When challenges arise that we don’t know how to handle, or when difficulties cloud our thoughts, Jesus is immediately present waiting for us to ask “Lord Jesus, what is the best way to go about this?” or simply “Jesus, help me”. He never fails to guide our thoughts to the best solutions, if we ask Him.

When the two arrived at their destination, He indicated that He was going further, but they urged him to stay on with them, as it was getting dark. As they communed with Him, and He broke bread with them, their eyes were opened, and they knew who He was.

Similarly, as we press in in prayer, coveting His presence, as the spiritual darkness in the world around us increases, we too will come into a deeper relationship with our Saviour. Then He can manifest His presence to us in a way we haven’t seen before.

Our heavenly Father watches over us constantly, day and night, and thus the nearness of the Lord’s presence is wonderfully reassuring. No matter the circumstances, Jesus makes the difference.

He turned the sadness of Cleopas and the other disciple to joy. He was in the burning fiery furnace with Shadrach, Meschach and Abednego. He came in the early morning mist to the disciples in the boat on the stormy waves. He came in the heat of the day to the lonely woman at the well. He shared in the joy of the wedding feast at Cana in Galilee. He still follows, and watches over the prodigal son’s wayward descent into the pig pen, and guides him on his journey home. He is with each one of us today, waiting for us to invite Him into our circumstances. Jesus makes all the difference.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, help us to be always mindful of the abiding presence of Jesus in our lives. Lord Jesus, we need You. Please help us, for without You we can do nothing. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Today's Writer : Patricia Lake P
Annukka

Testing

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.11.2015 11:22

27 November, 2015
Testing

"No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."
1 Corinthians 10:13, NIV

Have you ever looked at someone going through a really difficult time and thought to yourself, “I don’t think I would be able to cope with those circumstances?” Our key scripture speaks about this.

The word ‘temptation’ is translated from the Greek word, ‘peirasmos’, which means being tempted to sin, but also includes the idea of a time of trial, or a time of testing. It’s the same Greek word used in 1 Peter 4:12-13: ‘Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy’.

There are some wonderful truths and promises wrapped up for me in 1 Corinthians 10:13. First of all, the God who created me knows me best. This scripture promises me that, as a child of God under His covering, He will never allow anything to touch my life which He’s not confident I can handle.

Secondly, this scripture says GOD IS FAITHFUL! That means He can be trusted. He won’t bail out on me. He can be relied on and leaned on. I don’t have to doubt His presence and His character.

Lastly, He’ll always make a way for me to handle any temptation or fiery trial, escape it, or, when needed, stand up under it! Psalm 18:33 (Amplified) says, ‘He makes my feet like hinds feet [able to stand firmly and tread safely on paths of testing and trouble]; He sets me [securely] upon my high places’. What a comfort! God is the One who enables me to stand and make progress, even in the troublesome situations.

I’m encouraged that the tough stuff of life that may come my way will never be such that I can’t handle it. I believe that, if it crosses my path, it means it’s already passed God’s ‘filter’, and He’s confident that I’m up for the challenge.

Prayer: Lord, I’m so grateful that You know me well, and that You’ll never allow me to be tested beyond what I can handle. Thank You for Your kindness and Your faithfulness towards me. I choose to trust You, and rest in Your Word. Amen.
Today's Writer : Christel Baxter
Annukka

Why Shuffle?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.11.2015 10:49

28 November, 2015
Why Shuffle?

"The man who had died came out, his hands and feet bound with linen strips, and his face wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unbind him, and let him go."
John 11:44, ESV

Reading the story of the death of Lazarus (John 11), I pondered over Martha’s comment ‘Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world’ (John 11:27). I wondered where this declaration of who Jesus was would fit on a timeline with Peter’s comparable statement (Matthew 16:7, Mark 8:29).

I started investigating, then realised it wasn’t important for my walk with the Lord, or what He’s called me to do. What was important was that they each clearly understood who Jesus was!

I re-read the chapter and reached our Lord’s declaration ‘I am the resurrection and the life’ (John 11:25). Truth resonated within me. Jesus is my resurrection and my life right now, not just in the future when He ‘is coming into the world’.

I‘ve been resurrected and I’m alive now. I don’t have to wait to be raptured from this dark sinful world when Jesus comes again. I don’t mean I was just revitalised, or re-worked, in the sense that the media may describe a plan, policy, derelict area or building being resurrected. I was dead … and now … I’m ALIVE!

When Lazarus shuffled out of the tomb Jesus said, ‘Unbind him, and let him go’ (John 11:44). We can assume Lazarus then lived life for the Lord to the full, because later on the authorities sought to kill him (John 12:9-11). But at first he needed others to unbind him.

I know that Jesus called out to me, and I shuffled out of the dark tomb of death, and into new eternal life in Him. Praise Him! But as I contemplated this truth, Jesus revealed that, although I’d joyfully responded to Him, I hadn’t fully removed the grave clothes.

I’d shaken off enough of them to see Him and His glory, but sufficient remained to keep me bound to past sin, pain and desperation. My walk with Him was a shuffle, as I strived to ‘keep up’, with all these bindings and baggage that remained. As a result, some fruit of the Spirit in my life couldn’t ripen.

On a Healing Retreat, and the Modular School, with God’s grace, the most obvious grave clothes had been removed. But, either some remained, or I picked some back up again, out of habit, or for false comfort.

I could have spent a lot of time trying to understand it but it wouldn’t have been any real benefit to my walk with the Lord. I would have been distracted from His purpose; from what He wanted to say to me at that time. The important thing was a few more, scrappy, threads left from the grave clothes were then removed.

If, like me, you too sometimes shuffle, when you know you should stride forward with the Lord, ask Him to reveal any scraps of grave clothes that hinder your progress.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for calling me out of death to resurrection and life in You. Lord, I don’t want my walk with You to be hindered in any way. I don’t want to shuffle anymore. Reveal anything in my life that binds me in any way, however small, and help me to remove it. I want to be ‘let go’, so I can stride forth with You, into the plans and purpose You have for me. Amen.
Today's Writer : Andrew White
Annukka

The Voice of the Good Shepherd

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.11.2015 11:01

29 November, 2015
The Voice of the Good Shepherd

"The gatekeeper opens the gate for him and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them and his sheep follow him, because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger, in fact they will run away from him because they do not recognise a stranger’s voice."
John 10:3-5, NIV

This passage is telling us about Jesus the good shepherd and how we respond to Him as His sheep.

On a tour in Israel the coach stopped at a coffee stop which was near to a field of sheep.
As I looked over the wall, I was excited to see the Israeli shepherd leading the sheep and calling them by name. “Mary, Abby, Salome”.

As I watched, completely enthralled, the sheep were jumping up after him, and, if sheep can smile, they had really happy faces. The coach driver was standing there, and I said to him how fantastic the scene was for me, because it was exactly depicting the message of John Chapter 10 .

I was sad that I didn’t have my video camera with me, and could only take still shots, which didn’t fully capture this wonderful scene. But the coach driver told me not to worry, as he would stop here again tomorrow on our way to a different destination.

The next day, with video camera at the ready, I ran to the same wall, but, to my sheer horror, this time the shepherd had a stick and was whacking the legs of the sheep, and they were crying and running away as he shouted at them.

I called out to the coach driver "Look what’s happening today. The shepherd is hitting the sheep. It’s awful.” But he replied, “O no. That’s not the shepherd. That’s the butcher. He’s just bought them!"

What an amazing illustration of our Good Shepherd and the butcher of our souls. Jesus said Satan only came to steal, kill and destroy us (John 10:10). We’d better believe it.
Are you being driven? Then it’s not Jesus. He leads us out, calls us by name, and we choose to follow happily.

Prayer: Thank You, Jesus, for calling me by name and leading me out. Help me today to listen for Your voice, to recognise it and to never follow the enemy, but to run away from him. I’m so glad that You’re the good shepherd who laid down Your life for me. Help me always to only follow You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Today's Writer : Jill Southern-Jones
Annukka

Psalm 69:30

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 30.11.2015 20:41

Today's Verse for 11/30/2015
I will praise God's name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving. — Psalm 69:30

Thought

When was the last time you sang praises to God outside a church or devotional service? Why not open up the Psalms and find several verses that reflect your own praise and thanks to God and give them a tune — your own tune! God doesn't care if your spiritual gift is music or not; he's just listening for your heart to be full of joy as you share your praise and thanksgiving with him.
Prayer

O gracious Father, giver of every good and perfect gift, forgive me for relegating my thanksgiving and praise to special days and special places. I praise you for creating your human children with the capacity to celebrate goodness, to rejoice in your creation, and to have the capacity to for praise and thanksgiving. Thank you for making our world so full of reasons to offer thanks to you, our Abba Father and Creator. As you continually fill me with your Spirit, may my heart overflow with songs of praise and words of thanksgiving. In Jesus' holy name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Today's Verse Illustrated
Annukka

“Should Have Gone to Specsavers!”

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.12.2015 10:49

01 December, 2015
“Should Have Gone to Specsavers!”

"Jesus told them this parable: “Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they both not fall into a pit? A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.”"

It is a fact that students learn from and grow to be like their teachers. What their teachers teach becomes the knowledge which is the foundation of their lives. For that reason, teachers are specially accountable before the Lord for ensuring that what they teach is faithful to God’s Word and need to check their spiritual eyesight regularly!

When Paul was training Timothy to be an apostolic leader, he told Timothy, “Watch your life and your doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers” (1 Timothy 4:16). Paul was making it clear that good teaching will save Timothy’s hearers, but implying that bad teaching (from blind teachers) will lead them astray.

So, back to the blind man – if a leader is blind to God’s truth and is going astray, then their blindness will become the blindness of those who hear and follow. If someone is teaching false doctrine, then those who hear are in danger, because they are likely to believe the same way as their teachers. It is absolutely vital, therefore, that we learn how to use the gift of discernment, through which the Holy Spirit can warn us of beliefs that are wrong and of spiritual pits that we are in danger of being led into.

In these very testing days, when there are so many un-scriptural beliefs gaining ground and influence inside various sectors of the church, we need to be very much on our guard – for things are being taught that are not true to the Word of God. We need to look carefully at what the Word of God says, so that we will have a true plumb line against which to measure whether or not what we are being taught and what we believe is faithful to God’s truth or otherwise.

These are severely testing days and Jesus warned us twice in Matthew 24 about the dangers of deception from false prophets. In our Scripture for today He warns us against being led by a blind man into a pit. How important it is to check out the spiritual sight of those who lead us! There is a popular series of advertisements on British television from a firm of opticians which shows people making huge, and sometimes very funny, mistakes because their sight was defective. The adverts always end with the words ‘Should have gone to Specsavers’.

The plumb-line of truth in the Scriptures is God’s equivalent to Specsavers! It’s important that we all have our spiritual eyesight tested against God’s Word. But the mistakes we can make when we can’t see properly are not funny, they can be of eternal consequence - none of us want to hear the equivalent of words such as these spoken over our own life at the end of time - ‘should have gone to Specsavers!’

Prayer: Thank You, Lord, for warning us against being led astray by blind leaders. Help me to discern truth from error in my own life and to regularly check out my spiritual eyesight against the sight chart of God’s Word. In Jesus’s Name. Amen.
Today's Writer : Peter Horrobin
Annukka

Psalm 35:22-23

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 02.12.2015 19:49

Today's Verse for 12/02/2015
O LORD, ... be not silent. Do not be far from me, O Lord. Awake, and rise to my defense! Contend for me, my God and Lord. — Psalm 35:22-23

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse
Thought

God sometimes seems to be distant and not to be listening to us. Think of the hundreds of years Israel was in bondage praying for God's promised Deliverer. "Isn't God listening?" they must have repeatedly wondered. Yet at the right time, God sent his Son and brought deliverance. Thankfully, God doesn't ask us to pretend that everything is okay when it isn't. He filled the Psalms with cries for deliverance and help. You may find yourself in a position where these words are yours. If you are, realize that thousands of Today's Verse participants are praying today for God's immediate and powerful deliverance of you.
Prayer

Almighty God, may your name be revered in all the earth just as it is among the angels of heaven. Show the power and might of your Kingdom in our day. Deliver your Church and your children from the hands of the evil one. Bring deliverance to your children who are crying for your help with spiritual, family, health, or financial problems they are having. May our lives be lived to your glory, now and forevermore. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum