tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Matthew 11:28

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.08.2015 12:40

Today's Verse for 08/21/2015
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. — Matthew 11:28

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse
Thought

Where do you go when you are exhausted and in need of rest? No bed, no vacation, no retreat can give us a truly refreshing rest if that rest doesn't involve coming to Jesus. So what are you waiting for? Come to Jesus and and enjoy the blessings of his presence, his love, his forgiveness, his grace, and his rest!
Prayer

Almighty God, your Son Jesus is my strength and hope. I look forward to the day when he returns in triumph for me and all of your children. But Father, I want to know him better and to live for him with an undivided heart. I want to find rest in his presence, meaning in his service, and significance in his acceptance. Please bless me as I journey toward a deeper relationship with you and as I gain a more profound knowledge of your Son. In the name of Jesus Christ my Lord, I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Today's Verse Illustrated
Annukka

Two Days that Will Steal Your Joy

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.08.2015 19:22

Two Days that Will Steal Your Joy

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:13-14

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
There are two days that can steal your joy and the fulfillment of today. One is tomorrow and the other is yesterday. Both are days in which we as Christians should refuse to live.

So many of us have never learned how to separate ourselves from yesterday. We are still dragging it around with us and it is stealing our joy. Paul could have lived there in the realm of guilt, but he refused.

ACTION POINT:
Maybe you, like Paul and countless others, have committed some horrible sins. But friend, what God has called cleaned, let no man call unclean. If you have confessed that sin and given it to God, it is buried in the depths. Don’t let it contaminate your day. Learn to live in the present.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message
facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Ready To Strike

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.08.2015 09:22

23 August, 2015
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Ready To Strike

"Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour."
1 Peter 5:8-9 , New Living Translation

I went fishing recently, the-sitting-by-a-lake-with-a-rod-and-line type of fishing. Some people think that it is very boring and just an excuse to do nothing. I must admit that I had heard of a pastor who went fishing regularly, without a hook or bait on his line, in order to get away from his congregation! That’s not my style though, I like to be active when I am fishing. In my case the activity entailed getting the tackle set up correctly for the type of water I was fishing, casting my line and then watching intently for that little movement of the float which means ‘get ready to strike’. Unfortunately my reactions are not so quick as they used to be and several fish got away (you should have seen the size of them!). However I did land a few decent fish.

It reminded me of Peter’s exhortation that we should stay alert for the devil. I don’t know if you have ever thought of the devil as a fisherman? Jesus referred to his disciples as fishermen, but not the devil. The fishing in Jesus’ day involved nets and so on rather than rod and line which is perhaps the more usual concept of a fisherman for us today. Peter’s picture of a prowling lion was however familiar to Christians in the first century and that analogy reminds us that the devil is a wily being using subtlety and stealth, just like a fisherman.

I had a picture in my mind of the enemy sitting over our lives with his baited hook waiting for the unsuspecting believer to grab at the bait so he could strike and ‘hook’ us. In fact the Scripture is telling us that he (the enemy) is always ready to strike, so we need to stay alert and watch out all the time.

I wonder how often we have taken hold of one of his deceptions (remember the worm on the hook is a deception to get the fish) by not being alert or discerning as we go through our daily lives? I certainly have fallen prey to his temptations lots of times!

As we go through today, maybe we need to remember that the enemy hasn’t taken a lunch break and gone away just because all seems peaceful, but he is still there dangling his tempting hook over us getting ready to strike. Stay on guard, be alert, watch out for the evil one on the prowl or just sitting still near us waiting.

Thank God His Holy Spirit can warn us and keep us ready to respond by standing firm and resisting in the power of Jesus’ name.

Prayer: Father God, thank You for providing us with life pictures of our spiritual walk. Thank You that You can speak to us in the most ordinary of things. Help us to be ever watchful and alert for the devil’s schemes and recognise the deceptions and temptations that could trap us and disable us from effective Christian living, Amen.
Today's Writer : John Berry
Annukka

Be Vigilant—You Have an Enemy

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.08.2015 23:11

Be Vigilant—You Have an Enemy

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.” 1 Peter 5:8

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Your adversary the devil is prowling about like a roaring lion. Don’t underestimate his power.

Satan is an enemy you need to respect like an electrician who has respect for the wires that carry deadly voltage. He knows where the insulation is and he knows how to handle electricity. If an electrician loses his respect for this power, he is going to be in serious trouble.

ACTION POINT:
Everything may be going great for you right now. You’ve got money in the bank, a good job, good health. You’re dancing through the forest and picking wildflowers. But behind a bush is a lion so deadly, he can pounce on you and swallow you whole. You’ve got to be vigilant.

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Philippians 4:12

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.08.2015 11:54

Today's Verse for 08/28/2015
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. — Philippians 4:12

Thought

Contentment! Mmmm, I'd like to have a little of that; how about you? I find it hard to be contented about almost anything. My performance is not up to par. My weight isn't where it should be. My words were a little insensitive in the last conversation. It's even easier to slip into recognizing what we don't have financially and then pursue that. But before money, possessions, health, or any other thing can be truly enjoyed, we first have to learn that contentment is not based on our circumstances but our salvation.
Prayer

Almighty and generous God, you are the giver of all good gifts, so now I would like your help in finding the gift of contentment. Bless me as you choose, for I know deep in my heart that no blessing can compare to being your child and being loved and known personally by you. In Jesus' name I thank you. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Annukka

Not to Dicide Is to Decide

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.08.2015 20:52

LWF Daily Devotion
Today at 11:30 AM

Not to Decide Is to Decide

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live.” Deuteronomy 30:19

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Years ago I was witnessing to a young lady in Florida. I asked her if she had received Jesus as her Lord and Savior. She became teary-eyed and said, “I just don’t seem…no…I can’t do it today.” I asked her, “Don’t you realize that if you don’t receive Him, that you’re going to deny Him?” She said, “Oh, I wouldn’t deny Him for anything.” I said, “But there’s no middle ground.” And yet she refused.

I said, “Before you go, would you shake hands with me?” And she said, “Well, certainly.” And so I said, “If you’ll take Christ as your Savior, take my right hand. If you’ll take hell and refuse Christ, take my left hand.” She refused to take either of my hands.

ACTION POINT:
Every person has a choice. There is no neutral ground. You are either crowning Jesus as Lord of your life or you are not. Which is it my friend?

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers
Annukka

God Has Spoken - Be Ready!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.09.2015 09:18

Seeds of the Kingdom - Today's

01 September, 2015

God Has Spoken - Be Ready!

"Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy and blessed are
those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time
is near."
Revelation 1:3, NIV

The book of Revelation is full of mysteries. But while the details are
sometimes difficult to follow, the overall message is unmistakeably clear -
get ready, for Jesus is coming back!

The first coming of Jesus was clearly and extensively prophesied throughout
the Old Testament, but the moment of His coming was a surprise event, around
which the rest of history has been enfolded. In just the same way the second
coming of Jesus has been clearly and extensively prophesied throughout both
the Old and the New Testaments, but the moment of his coming will once
again be a surprise and an unmistakeable event. All of future history will be
measured by a new date on all the world`s calendars as the rule and reign of
King Jesus begins on earth!

The constant message of Scripture is that none of us know when that date of
His coming will be and that we should be ready for His coming at all times.
In His parable about the wise and the foolish virgins, Jesus made it clear that
there needs to be oil in our lamps at all times. It`s no good seeing the day
come and then trying to find some oil at the last minute out of desperation.
To love Him, to know Him and to serve Him is the only process by which our
lamps can be filled with the holy oil of God`s Spirit. This oil can never be
bought from a trader in spiritual blessings!

So do not worry if you find the detail of the book of Revelation difficult
to understand, but do make sure that you are ready to welcome the Saviour
when He comes, with oil in your lamp. As our Scripture for today says,
"blessed are those who hear and take to heart what is written in it, because
the time is near." And as we look at the escalating pattern of world events,
who can doubt that the clock is ticking loudly and the armies of Heaven are
getting ready for the greatest ever day of future history!

Prayer: Thank you Lord, that you tell us clearly in Your Word to listen carefully to the message of the book of Revelation. I am so blessed to know
that one day soon You are coming back . Help me always to have oil in my
lamp as I look forward to welcoming Your rule and reign. In Jesus`s Name,
Amen.
Today's Writer : Peter Horrobin Peter Horrobin is the Founding and International Director of Ellel Ministries.
Annukka

Re: Devotional

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 06.09.2015 09:52

06. September, 2015

The Isaiah Scroll

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners."
Isaiah‬ 61:1, NIV‬‬

A copy of the book of Isaiah was written on animal skin and carefully put into an earthenware pot and buried in a cave. It must have lain undisturbed for more than 2000 years before it was discovered in 1948 in a cave in Israel near the Dead Sea. Until then the earliest versions of Isaiah we had were written 1100 years later than that. So the miracle is that there’s hardly any difference between these versions.

When Jesus chose to read from the book of Isaiah it must have been pretty well identical to this ‘Dead Sea scroll’. A modern scholar has recently translated the scroll into word for word literal English and here is what Isaiah 61:1-4 says:

‘The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because YHWH has anointed me to preach good tidings to the weak; to bind up the brokenhearted, to call to the captives liberty, and to the imprisoned the opening of prison. To announce the favourable year of YHWH, and the day of vengeance for our God; to comfort all who mourn; To appoint to the mourners in Zion, to give to them beauty instead of dust, the oil of joy instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of the spirit of heaviness; and they shall call to them oaks of righteousness, the planting of YHWH, for glory. And they shall build the ancient ruins, the desolations of the beginning shall they raise, and they shall renew the ruined cities, the desolations of generation to generation. They shall raise them up’.

It’s interesting to note that there is an extra sentence in this version, which doesn’t appear in any of the later versions. It says the words ‘They shall raise them up’.

I’m not sure what this all meant to the listeners in the synagogue that day. Jesus said that He was now fulfilling the prophecy given by Isaiah so long ago. But what I am sure of is that it means the promise of healing and deliverance is for the believers in Jesus today.

There are many of us who are weak, broken-hearted, captive in prisons, in mourning, or burdened with a spirit of heaviness. Jesus still brings us good news, binding up our broken hearts, calling us to liberty and opening our prison cages, giving comfort, beauty and a garment of praise.

The promise is that we shall become oaks of righteousness, planted by the Lord, for His glory. We shall restore ancient ruins, desolated places, and the ruined cities, which have been desolated for generations. We will raise them up again. They will be restored. Praise the Lord!

On a trip to Finland we met some people who were encountering Ellel Ministries for the first time. One of them asked how healed we had to be before we could bring the healing and deliverance ministry of Jesus to others.

It’s an interesting question and my husband referred to this promise, noting that it is the ones who have been so needy who rebuild the ruins. At the start of an Ellel Ministries Modular School some people don’t seem as if they could do much to help others, but by the end of the course they are eager to take the healing they themselves have received to others.

Prayer: Dear loving heavenly Father, we come to You in the name of Jesus. Thank You for the promise of Jesus, Messiah, that He would not only heal us and set us free from oppression, but that He would make us strong to help others with the help that we ourselves have received. Amen.
Today's Writer : Liz Griffin
Annukka

What Are You Drinking?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.09.2015 10:50

Seeds of the Kingdom - Today's Devotional

09 September, 2015

What Are You Drinking?

"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God."
Psalm 42:1, NIV

I was recently taking our dog for a walk when, towards the end, he took a drink from the dirtiest, murkiest puddle around. I thought to myself, “Oh, for goodness sake, you couldn’t wait the five minutes to get home where I would pour you a fresh bowl of clean water to drink,” and then wondered if I was going to soon have some dog sick to clear up!

This situation reminded me of this scripture and all the biblical concepts of ‘streams of living water’ and ‘a fountain of life’. It made me wonder if I was a little like our dog ... settling for the expediency of a quick, not quite right, drink of something, and then wonder why I find I’m struggling with things a little later on.

It’s so easy in the busyness of life to settle for a quick and familiar portion of encouraging words of Scripture to make us feel good. Or to ignore the Scriptures and assume that some worship music or a quick prayer will do the trick instead. Yet these are temporary solutions that have no long-lasting effects, because our goal is to feel better. God’s goal is to deepen our love and understanding of Him. The difference is vitally important!

The streams of water talked about in Psalm 42 are what the psalmist longs for. His heart cry is a deep, deep, thirst for answers; a heart cry of pain and anguish. The answers are not to be found in the stagnant waters of head knowledge and past understanding. The answers are in the torrents (referred to later in the psalm as waterfalls, and breaking waves of the sea) of love and hope in God, regardless of the situation we find ourselves in.

If we allow ourselves to take the time to delve deeper into the deep, life source of the Bible, and allow the continuous flow of the Holy Spirit to speak to us through it, I’m sure we’d find the answers to the deep cries of our hearts. It would open up the heart of God to us in new and fresh ways.

Prayer: Father God, teach me more about Your Word. Help me to understand the fullness and depth of Your love and hope for my life through the Scriptures. Convict me of w
Annukka

Hebrews 12:2

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.09.2015 20:19

Today's Verse for 09/10/2015

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. — Hebrews 12:2

Thought

Who is your hero? I'm not asking for the Sunday school class answer, but the person you most actively admire! It is hard to "fix our eyes on Jesus" because he is not here where we can see him like other heroes. But he was the ultimate adventurer and trailblazer. He faced the horrific penalty and shame of the cross, taking away our sin! He did it so that we could have a hero that death and sin could not destroy, mar, or taint. He did it so that we could be confident that if we follow in his footsteps, the trail he blazed wasn't just for him, but for us, too!
Prayer

Holy God, forgive me when I chase what is false and let my focus shift from Jesus as my ultimate hero. I want to honor and serve him, having his life come alive in me, so that others may know the confidence that comes in having Jesus as their Lord. Words cannot express my gratitude to my Lord for his sacrifice and the horrible price he paid for my sins. Neither can words express my jubilation at his trailblazing victory that assures that I will someday be with you forever! It is in his name, Jesus Christ, that I pray. Amen.

Today's Verse Illustrated
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum