tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Are you Limiting God?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.06.2015 19:45

Are you Limiting God?

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty.” 1 Corinthians 1:27

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
People say, “Well, I don't believe God can use me.” You’re insulting God. You’re limiting Him. “Well,” you say, “all right then, I'll just serve God in my poor little old weak way.” Quit it! He doesn't want you to serve him in your “poor little old weak way.” God wants to take ordinary people and do extraordinary things through them! This is the kind of people God wants to use.

It's not your fame; it's your faith. It's not your scholarship; it's your relationship. It's not your ability; it is your availability. It's not who you know; it's Whose you are that counts.

ACTION POINT:
God takes what the world calls a foolish message, then God takes a weak messenger, and then God compounds these two in the crucible of His love and wisdom. The result is glory to God.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message
facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Father`s Response

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 25.06.2015 09:38

25 June, 2015
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Father`s Response

`Now all of us can come to the Father through the same Holy Spirit because of what Christ has done for us`
Ephesians 2:18 NLT

A few weeks ago my husband was approaching one of those milestone birthdays that have a nought on the end! As my daughter and I were contemplating how to make the celebration special, she said, `Mum, the best thing for Dad would be if Dan came home!` Dan is her brother, our son, who lives in Australia. I knew she was right. And so began a series of secret Skype calls to Dan, and covert planning for him to make a surprise visit home on the big day.

Roger wasn’t particularly looking forward to his birthday, but I’ll never forget the look of utter disbelief, unexpected joy and pure delight all rolled into one, that immediately spread across his face the moment he opened the door and saw his son standing there smiling broadly, having come all the way from the other side of the world! Sam was right – absolutely nothing else could or would have blessed Roger more.

It’s not a complete reflection of the story Jesus told of the prodigal son, since Dan had never left us in rebellion and, unlike the father in the story, Roger wasn’t looking out, waiting expectantly for him to come home. But I did see something of the same `father heart of God` response as I looked at his face and watched him fling his arms round his son, and they stood and hugged each other again and again.

I’ve pondered a lot on that scene. It was a one-off: it took a lot of planning and was a special occasion with a surprise element. Yet because of what Jesus has done for every single one of us, we can come to our heavenly Father (Ephesians 2:18) again and again at any time, knowing that undiluted welcome is always waiting for us. His arms are forever open wide to greet us, and His response is one of complete joy and pure delight – simply because we have come. It’s what He made us for and nothing blesses Him more.

In reality, there are times when we wonder if He’s really there, we wonder if He hears us … if He’s interested. Does He really care? Will He answer if I pray? But our fears are unfounded. Just as there was never any doubt in Dan’s mind about how his Dad would respond when he saw him (and, of course, his Dad’s love is only a very watered down version of our Father God’s love) there need never be any doubt in our minds about how our Father God will respond to us when we come to Him. We only have to look at the story of the prodigal. He waits for us, looks for us, runs towards us with His arms open wide to greet us, with compassion, mercy, unfailing love and faithfulness (Exodus 34:6). What a privilege. What a comfort to belong to Him.

Prayer: Father God, I’m sorry for the times I’ve doubted you and your love for me. Thank you for the truth that every time I come to you, you’re already waiting for me, you welcome me, you accept me, take joy in me and love me so much. Please help me to grow in my relationship with you, so that those doubts lose their ground and I become truly confident in who I am as your adopted child, through the shed blood of Jesus. In His precious Name, Amen.

Today's Writer : Julie Smith
Annukka

Letting God Give Us Voice

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 26.06.2015 10:52

26 June, 2015
Letting God Give Us Voice

"What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also."
1 Corinthians 14:15, KJV

The gift of tongues allows believers to express words to God in a language directed by their human spirit, rather than from the mind. While mankind awaits the return of Jesus, this gift of the Holy Spirit gives an opportunity to dialogue with God when our own language seems insufficient, not least in times of intercession, spiritual warfare and prayer ministry. The language God gives can be completely unknown to us, or, on occasions, be a known earthly language, as on the day of Pentecost.

In our daily lives it’s common for the human soul within us to take a dominant position, as we seek to comfort and protect ourselves, often neglecting the One who wants to direct us. This was something that Jesus never did (John 14:10). Our exercising the gift of tongues enables God to give followers of Jesus a voice, by the direction of the Holy Spirit through our human spirit. Interestingly a research project in 2006, at the University of Pennsylvania, was apparently unable to pinpoint any part of the brain controlling the behaviour of Christians who were speaking in tongues.

Such Spirit-led dialogue often seems to release other divine gifts such as prophecy, wisdom and faith. Speaking or singing in tongues is not a measure of spiritual maturity, but rather an aid to our fellowship with God. He knows also that it’s helpful, when tongues are used in a public setting, particularly where unbelievers are present, for there to be an understanding of the essence of what’s being spoken. For this reason He frequently gives others the gift of interpreting the tongue, so His purpose can be revealed more clearly, and the Body of Christ can be built up.

If you have been seeking the gift of tongues, may I encourage you not to give up! As with all the gifts of the Holy Spirit, speaking in tongues should be earnestly desired by every believer (1 Corinthians 14:1), and then exercised as He leads, whether for personal edification (1 Corinthians 14:4), for exalting God (Acts 10:46), or for use in the fellowship of believers (1 Corinthians 14:26), so we may increasingly walk in the fullness of God.

Of course there’ll be human excesses and abuses connected with speaking in tongues, and many have had poor teaching or bad experiences, but let’s graciously help one another not to neglect this significant and supernatural gift of God. It can be a precious, daily door-opener to exploring more of God’s will for our lives.

Prayer: Father God, thank You for all the gifts of the Holy Spirit that enable me to walk more powerfully in line with Your plans and purposes. I choose to let You regularly give me a voice to speak things that may be beyond my full understanding, but are just what You want me to say. Amen.
Today's Writer : David Cross
Annukka

Good News

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.06.2015 08:55

Good News

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!” Isaiah 52:7

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
I once heard of a pastor who received word from the war department that a young soldier, reported missing in action and presumed dead, was found alive! His mother had already been informed of his death. And now they asked this pastor to be the one to tell her that her son was alive.

Do you think this pastor said, “Well, I've got a little vacation I'm going to take first, and I want to play a round of golf or do some other things”?

What a thrill, going to tell that message! I want to tell you, there ought to be that thrill and urgency in my heart and yours every time we tell a poor, sin-sick, lost, and undone sinner there is good news that Christ died for our sins.

ACTION POINT:
If you know the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and you're not interested in sharing it, I sincerely doubt you've ever been saved. How could a person know the Gospel and not want to share it?

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message
facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Seek His face

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.06.2015 09:47

29 June, 2015
Seek His face

"My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face Lord, I will seek."
Psalm 27:8, NIV

Perhaps a good question for us to ask ourselves is, “what is it that I seek?”

Do we seek a higher education to further our career, so we can earn more money to buy a house and a nice car? Will that make us feel secure?

While these things in themselves aren’t wrong, they won’t ultimately fulfil the deepest desire of the human heart. Our deepest desire is to have a relationship with our Creator.

Whether we realise it or not God has created us to live in relationship with Him, and those around us. The psalmist understood this when he said, ‘my heart says of you – “Seek his face”’ (Psalm 27:8).

Do we seek the face of the Lord, to be in His presence and to be in communion or fellowship with Him?

While the world offers many things to try to fill our hearts, there’s only one thing that will truly satisfy - that deep intimate relationship with God the Father through His precious Son Jesus.

Let’s seek His face today.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, my heart’s desire is to seek Your face and to sit in Your presence. Help me put time aside today to seek You, as You are my help and strength, in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Today's Writer : Diane Watson
Annukka

It’s Not My Fault!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 30.06.2015 10:13

30 June, 2015
It’s Not My Fault!

Moses said to Aaron, “What did these people do to you, that you led them into such great sin?” “Do not be angry, my lord,” Aaron answered. “You know how prone these people are to evil. They said to me, ‘Make us gods who will go before us. As for this fellow Moses who brought us up out of Egypt, we don’t know what has happened to him.’ So I told them, ‘Whoever has any gold jewelry, take it off.’ Then they gave me the gold, and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf!”
Exodus 32:21-24, NIV

Aaron makes an incredible statement in Exodus 32:24. “They gave me the gold, and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf!” If you read the first 4 verses of the same chapter you’ll find that Aaron, under pressure from the people, asked for gold jewellery, melted it down and fashioned the idol himself. Yet, now under pressure from Moses, he pretends to be incredulous as to how it all happened. “It’s not my fault”, is the heart of his response.

It’s quite amazing what we (and I include myself here) will do when put under pressure. We can look and sound good when all is going well. We can be a church leader, elder, Life Group leader, or worship leader, we can have seen first hand some amazing miracles from God (as Aaron had done), but when things start to get difficult and we have to make a decision whether to stand up for God or not, the true character of our heart is made known. Then we can compound the sin by trying to pretend it wasn’t really our fault. How many golden calves have ‘just emerged’ from the fires of our own making?

Sadly, in the process of deceiving others, we deceive ourselves. We believe the lie that “it’s not my fault”. We blame-shift and can sometimes (like Aaron) not stop to think how ridiculous we’re sounding.

Aaron didn’t fool Moses. We may fool others, but we can’t fool God. If we really want to face the truth, if we really want to serve God wholeheartedly, without fear of what others might say or do or think, we have to go to the heart of the matter. It all comes down to really knowing God personally.

Maybe Aaron’s relationship with God was piggy backing on the one that Moses had. The problem is that never really works. We can’t have a real relationship with God through our parents, a good Christian friend, great Bible expositors, or wonderful church leaders. We have to know God for ourselves.

Daniel, talking about the last days, writes ‘With flattery he will corrupt those who have violated the covenant, but the people who know their God will firmly resist him’ (Daniel 11:32). It comes down to whether we really, really know God in the depth of our being. If we do, then we’ll be able to say as David(Psalm 62:6).

Prayer: Dear Lord, please forgive me for letting You down when the going gets tough. I realise that many times I have said or thought, “It’s not my fault”, when many times it has been. I realise that, in trying to fool others, I’ve often fooled myself. I want to change. I want to become the person You’ve chosen and called me to be. I want a deeper personal relationship with you, to know that I really know You for myself, not through others, but personally. Holy Spirit, I turn my whole life over to You and ask that You change me from within, so that my will becomes Your will. Amen.
Today's Writer : Philip Asselin
Annukka

God Reigns, Rules, Overrules and Overrides

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.07.2015 21:54

God Reigns, Rules, Overrules and Overrides

LWF Daily Devotional

Today at 11:31 AM

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“The king’s heart is in the hand of the Lord as the rivers of water. He turneth it whithersoever He will.” Proverbs 21:1

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
God can change a ruler, God can remove a ruler, and God can overrule a ruler.

You ask, “Should I pray for my leader if he’s wicked?” You ought to pray all the more for him. Why? Because the Bible says, “I exhort therefore, that first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men; for kings and for all that are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior.” 1Timothy 2:1-3

The greatest responsibility in America is not in the White House but in the church house. We’re to pray for our government. Pray for those who are in authority.

ACTION POINT:
Would you pray for America right now? You might pray, “Oh God, bless America. Lord, we deserve judgment, but we need mercy. Bring this nation, Lord, back to You. The troubles that we see in our land are tokens of Your love to bring us to our knees. Lord, it’s beyond us. God, we need You in America.”

Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Ezekiel 36:23

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 02.07.2015 12:08

Today's Verse for 07/02/2015
I will show the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, the name you have profaned among them. Then the nations will know that I am the LORD, declares the Sovereign LORD, when I show myself holy through you before their eyes. — Ezekiel 36:23

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse
Thought

Ever wondered what would happen if all of God's people from every nation would humble themselves in repentance and ask God to reveal his holiness to the nations?
Prayer

Almighty and holy God, I am so sorry for my sins that have tarnished your witness through me to my friends. I am sorry for the sins of my nation and how we have turned from your way. Please forgive us and move in a mighty way to reveal yourself in our day, in all your holiness. In the name of Christ Jesus I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Today's Verse Illustrated
Annukka

Psalm 106:6

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 03.07.2015 19:46

Today's Verse for 07/03/2015
We have sinned, even as our fathers did; we have done wrong and acted wickedly. — Psalm 106:6

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse
Thought

Sin is nothing new. The candor of Scripture allows us to see the stupidities and rebelliousness of God's people in the past. We can be convicted by their lost opportunities and the disasters they brought upon themselves. We can also be reminded how little difference there often is between them and us.
Prayer

Father, I know my sin, my rebellion, and my unfaithfulness have hurt you and your cause today every bit as much as the sins of those in the Bible hurt in the past. Please forgive and strengthen me as I seek to live a life holy and pleasing to you and a blessing to those around me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum