tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Psalm 10:12

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.04.2015 19:23

Today's Verse for 04/29/2015

Arise, LORD! Lift up your hand, O God. Do not forget the helpless. — Psalm 10:12

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

We are very much aware that we live in a broken world. Unfortunately, our broken world is also filled with broken people. In days of pain and anguish, in days when those who hurt know their helplessness, we have no other source than God to whom we can turn. The LORD, the covenant God of Israel, who kept his promises, preserved his people and produced his Messiah, is also the God who stands by us. In the short run, there are moments when he appears to not be watching or listening or caring. What do we do in those moments? Pretend we don't have our feelings and doubts? No, we honestly cry out to our LORD who has redeemed, saved, and liberated in the past and call on him to do the same in our day!

Prayer

God of hope, do not be far from us in days that are dark and menacing. Restore to us the joy of living and the hope of good things; give us comfort in our times of pain and anguish. Lift up your hand and act to bring repentance and renewal to our time, our families, our culture, and your Church. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.

Today's Verse Illustrated
Annukka

Show Me Your Ways, Lord.

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.05.2015 09:11

Seeds of the Kingdom - Today's Devotional

01 May, 2015
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Show Me Your Ways, Lord.

“Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Saviour, and my hope is in you all day long.”
Psalm 25:4-5, NIV

I recently visited the bridge of a ship and listened to the captain explaining the intricacies of navigation. Ultimately, however, the safe passage of the ship did not only depend on the navigators who plotted the course of the ship through the seas, but also on the crew who were responsible for acting on the information supplied by the navigators. Obedience to the instructions was the absolute key to the safety of the vessel and to reaching the ship’s expected destination.

In our Scripture for today we are encouraged to come to the Lord for his navigational instructions – we want to know what path He has set out before us for the next season of our lives. Without His guidance we will always finish up a long way away from His best plan for the direction of our lives.

But, and this is a big BUT, we may know exactly what the Lord would have us do, but if we choose not to follow His navigational instructions, then we will soon be in trouble and make a shipwreck of our lives. After making an amazing cross-Atlantic voyage in his ship Santa Maria, Christopher Columbus and his key crew members were exhausted and in need of sleep. They left the ship in charge of a young boy, but he did not follow his instructions and, as a result, the ship foundered on a sandbank and was lost!

We cannot afford to allow anyone other than the Lord to be the navigator who shows us the direction we need to go. And we cannot allow anyone else to take control of our lives and take us to places God never intended for us. Learning to always trust Him and to always be obedient to His directions is the ultimate key to having the blessing of God on each and every area of our lives.

Prayer: Thank You, Lord, that you rejoice to be the navigator of our lives. Help me, Lord, to not only listen to Your voice but to obey Your instructions. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Today's Writer : Peter Horrobin
Annukka

God’s Word – Our Only Sure Guide

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 02.05.2015 18:00

02 May, 2015
God’s Word – Our Only Sure Guide

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
Psalm 119:105, ESV

Last year I was saddened and dismayed when I heard of a well known Christian publicly disputing what the Bible said about a particular issue that she had struggled with secretly for many years. Instead of looking for God’s help in her struggle, she embraced the message of the world, and, sadly, some parts of the Church, that she should just accept and express herself as ‘she really is’.

The media were quick to report her statements, and she became a prize for those who had long denied and opposed biblical teaching about the issue she’d battled with for so long.

One morning, during that time, my wife and I were reading a daily devotional by Charles Spurgeon and the text for that day was ‘Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path’ (Psalm 119:105). With his usual childlike faith Charles Spurgeon affirmed God’s Word as wholly reliable – a true guide for our steps through life.

As we prayed after reading I felt the Lord spoke to me, reminding me that I’d read this blog by the young woman above where she’d declared that the Bible isn’t infallible or inerrant. I realised that she held such an opinion in common with others who’d gone astray from clear Christian teaching.

It’s a symptom of our human pride that we can set ourselves up as a judge of God’s Word, when, actually, it’s that very Word, sharper than any two-edged sword, that judges the thoughts and intentions of our hearts.

The Lord spoke quite simply into my heart saying that, when someone declares that something the Bible clearly says isn’t true, or declares it’s no longer relevant to us today, then that part of Scripture ceases to be a light for them, and their feet begin to stray into dark and dangerous paths. In the book of James we read: ‘For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it’ (James 2:11).

If I boasted that I obeyed every road sign, except those warning me of roads that only allowed one-way traffic, I would still experience the possible disastrous consequences. In the same way we can’t pick and choose parts of God’s Word to obey.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for Your inspired Word, the Bible. Help me to allow all that You’ve written to be a lamp to my feet and a light to my path, and to hold out Your truth, in love, to Christians who’ve stumbled and fallen, and to those who’ve never known You. Amen.

Today's Writer : Dean Gardner
Annukka

Unconditional Love

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 03.05.2015 11:32

03 May, 2015
Unconditional Love

"We love because he first loved us."
1 John 4:19, NIV

It’s amazing how God created us human beings to be loved in our families and how, during the first part of our lives, we’re completely helpless. Whereas lambs are up on their feet and walking soon after they’re born, it takes us a year. We have to be fed, as we can’t find food for ourselves. We have to have clothes put on to keep us warm. We need shelter, and protection from danger.

On the 8th March I held my grandson Joel in my arms. He was just two days old. It was the first time I’d held a new born baby since his mother was born so many years ago. I was overawed at his utter innocence and helplessness as he was starting on the adventure of life.

My daughter and son-in-law had spent nine months preparing for Joel’s arrival. Now he was here he received all the care and attention they could lavish on him. But they weren’t the only ones who wanted to show love to him. On Facebook we received many photos of Joel being cuddled, prayed over and blessed by a great number of people in the hospital, his home and two different churches. He was bought lots of gifts. Generosity flowed out towards him.

The next time we saw him at two weeks old I was struck by how unaware he was of all this love. He woke up and cried for food, spent some time feeding and then dropped asleep again, exhausted. Nobody expected anything from him. He was given unconditional love. He was loved for who he was, not for what he could do.

I knew that, as time went on, Joel would realise that he had a relationship with his parents and all these others, and he’d begin to respond to them. He would deliberately smile at them and then eventually begin to communicate with his first attempt at speech. But at two weeks old his world was still somewhat confined and limited.

In the same way God loved me before I knew anything at all about Him, when I wasn’t particularly interested in Him and when I wasn’t searching for a relationship with Him. God is a perfect loving, heavenly Father. He loves us before we’re born. He loves us all the days of our life, and beyond that, into eternity.

The Bible tells us that God loved us while we were still sinners; ‘but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us’ (Romans 5:8 ). This means that He prepared the way of salvation for us before we even came to be created, before we were conceived in our mother’s womb. God’s love takes the initiative, and He shows His love to us above all by allowing His Son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins.

Our love for God is a response to His love. ‘We love because he first loved us’ (1 John 4:19). In imitation of Him we start to love others. The apostle John explains that this is what God requires of us ‘And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother’ (1 John 4:21).

Just as a baby should change and develop from a self-centred state of only receiving love, food and protection to one of giving love and affection in some way, so we must grow up as Christians and start to give love to others.

Prayer: Dear loving, heavenly Father, thank You that You first loved us and yearned for us to come to know You and love You in response. Help us to grow more and more like You and to love others when they don’t even seem to be interested in us or want to know us. Give us some of Your sacrificial, unconditional love that we can give it out to others. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Today's Writer : Liz Griffin
Annukka

Luke 3:8

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 04.05.2015 21:23

Today's Verse for 05/04/2015

Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. — Luke 3:8

Thought

Grace is given to us as a free gift. It cannot be earned or merited. But salvation that does not move us out of our self-destructive and rebellious ways is counterfeit. Repentance is a life change. It is a realization that we have been going the wrong way on a one-way street. It is an acknowledgement that trying to guide our own lives is always going to end in disappointment, disaster, and death without Jesus being Lord of both our lips and our lives. We know that God's grace is marvelous, but let's also learn that his will is gracious. As we do, we will change our behavior to reflect the character of the Father who sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins!

Prayer

Loving and merciful God, I realize that you saved me from my past sins and also want to save me from the consequences of future sins by calling me to obedience. Please help me as I turn my life over to your will. Please strengthen me with your Spirit so that I may resist temptation and reflect your holiness. Bring to life in me the fruit that reflects your salvation and your character in me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Annukka

Not “Faith in Faith,” But All by Grace

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 05.05.2015 15:18

Not “Faith in Faith,” But All by Grace
BIBLE MEDITATION:
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
The devil is very clever when it comes to our faith. Here is a tactic he may use on you: he will start agreeing with you so he can trip you.

He’ll say, “Sure, you’re saved by faith in Christ. But how do you know that your faith is good enough or strong enough to save you? What if your faith is too weak? What if you don’t make it?” He will try to cause you to put your faith in your faith, rather than your faith in Christ.

ACTION POINT:
Have you ever heard someone mention the phrase “saving faith”? There’s no such thing. You are saved by grace through faith. You’re not saved by faith. Only Jesus saves.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Battle For the Mind - Part 2

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 06.05.2015 12:00

06 May, 2015
Battle For the Mind - Part 2

"The weapons we use in our fight are not the world`s weapons but God`s powerful weapons, which we use to destroy strongholds. We destroy false arguments; we pull down every proud obstacle that is raised against the knowledge of God; we take every thought captive and make it obey Christ."
2 Corinthians 10:4-5, GNB

Yesterday we looked at these verses that Paul wrote to the Corinthians about the spiritual battle over our life, and especially the battle in the mind. Paul explains that these thoughts may originate from two sources. Firstly, arguments and ideas against God and His ways may have been planted in our minds by others. Secondly we may have had our own proud thoughts that we’ve elevated above God’s truth. These will probably have come from our past sin or wounding, but they’re now entrenched in our thinking, and seem more true to us than God’s truth.

Wherever such ungodly thoughts have originated, if we allow them to dwell and grow in our mind, they can become infected with enemy power and will become an ungodly stronghold. Our thoughts need to be liberated from the enemy and taken captive by us so we can bring them to agree with God’s truth.

Paul explains how to fight in this spiritual battle. He doesn’t tell us to try harder. Clearly this battle isn’t won with our own strength. Many of us have tried to block out those unwanted thoughts by our own mental effort and we know it doesn’t work. No, since our mind has become a spiritual stronghold we need spiritual weapons to defeat each thought that doesn’t agree with God’s truth.

So what are these spiritual weapons? Philippians 2:10 tells us that the name of Jesus is a mighty weapon. As a new believer with almost no Scripture knowledge God led me to use this weapon. When an unwanted thought came to my mind and I couldn’t get rid of it I would shut my eyes, stamp my feet and shout out “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus”. I didn’t really know what I was doing, but it proved amazingly successful at pulling down a thought stronghold. Sometimes I called on Jesus’ name many times before the unwanted thought was cleared from my mind, but it always worked, and after time the thoughts were defeated and never came again.

Hebrew 4:12 tells us the Word of God is such a weapon. It’s a living and powerful means of spiritual warfare. Words from Scripture will be an effective weapon against ungodly thoughts that inhabit our minds. Because of my past experience, I suggest the weapon is even more powerful if you speak the Scripture out loud (stamping your feet is optional), repeating it as many times as is necessary to obliterate the unwanted thought. Each person needs to find a suitable verse, or verses, that speak God’s truth in opposition to the particular negative thought they want to fight. If you feel worthless then maybe Psalm 139:14 will be suitable for you to use as your weapon. Whatever the verse is it becomes your own special weapon. But prepare your weapon by learning the verse and ‘sharpening’ it by saying it often to yourself, so it is ready for the moment of intense battle when that thought that doesn’t agree with God comes back to torment you. Remember too that a war isn’t won in one battle, so the process may have to be repeated a few times. With God nothing is impossible.

Prayer: Father God, thank You that Jesus defeated Satan once and for all at Calvary. I praise You for the name of Jesus and the living word of Scripture, which are the weapons by which we can appropriate all of that victory into our lives, and especially into our minds. I pray this in Jesus’ mighty name. Amen.

Today's Writer : Denise
Annukka

Psalm 108:3

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 08.05.2015 19:06

Today's Verse for 05/08/2015
I will praise you, O LORD, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples. — Psalm 108:3

Thought

Songs go where evangelism, witnessing, and planned outreach sometimes cannot go. Songs tell a story, offer praise, and deliver truth in a package that opens the heart and stirs the emotions. Songs give life to the soul and stir something primal, buried deep inside by God. When you are around friends you are trying to reach with the Gospel, listen for the kind of music they like. Then when the time is right, point them to songs that share the message of the Gospel with a melody and beat that can stir their hearts. God wants us to praise him, not just in our sanctuaries and churches, but with our friends and across cultures. He wants us to sing in ways that help other people know the "heart song" of our Redeemer's love.
Prayer

Almighty God and righteous Father, thank you so much for the gift of song. Thank you for lyricists that capture the mood of our hearts and the word of your grace and help move others closer to faith. Please bless all those involved in bringing Christian songs to the public and making your Word more understandable to the masses. Empower singing in your Church, and help us to sing of your salvation in ways that reach all peoples on the earth. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Phil Ware.
Annukka

It’s An Inside Job

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.05.2015 19:35

It’s An Inside Job

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.” Matthew 23:26

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
What happens when we try to help others? We start on the outside, thinking if we can change the environment of a man (his home, clothes, food, education), then we can create a new man. It cannot be done. It was in the Garden of Eden that man got into trouble in the first place.

Cleaning up the outside is just reformation. When you clean up the inside, you are regenerated. Jesus is telling the Pharisees that they don’t need another bath, they need a new birth.

ACTION POINT:
It’s not that we ought not to help others. We should do these things. But men need more than soap and soup; they need salvation. They need a birth from above, not merely a boost from below.

facebook.pngtwitter.png
Annukka

Consulting First with God

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.05.2015 17:36

Consulting First with God

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
If Jesus Christ is Lord of your life, you are going to give Him the first consideration in every decision you make. You will ask, “What is the will of God? What is the purpose of Jesus? What will glorify my Father?”

Have you ever worked for a company and they decided to transfer you? So many people, because of their financial obligations, discuss it a little with family and friends, then make plans for the move. Sometimes the transfer happens so quickly, prayer has sometimes been forgotten.

ACTION POINT:
Friend, if God wants you to go, then go. If God doesn’t want you to go, then you need to stay. But you’ll never know until you get alone with God and let Him tell you what He wants.

facebook.pngtwitter.png
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum