tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Passover Lamb

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.03.2015 19:54

March 22, 2015

Passover Lamb

"Tell the whole community of Israel that on the tenth day of this month each man is to take a lamb for his family, one for each household... The animals you choose must be year-old males without defect, and you may take them from the sheep or the goats. Take care of them until the fourteenth day of the month, when all the people of the community of Israel must slaughter them at twilight."

Exodus 12:3; 5-6

When I was on the farm growing up, I once helped take care of a little lamb. Cute, warm and fuzzy, he captured and melted my heart. I loved to hug him and feel his soft, white fleece. This precious lamb was the picture of innocence. You can imagine my horror on the day he was taken to the slaughter house!

For Passover preparations, God wanted a family to choose a lamb, bring it into their house, and take care of it for four whole days before killing it. How awful! They were required to slaughter the little lamb they had grown to love. This heart-wrenching sacrifice demonstrated the exacting demands of God's justice, as well as how destructive and awful sin really is. It was the perfect background to "the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world" (John 1:29). God wants our hearts to sincerely break over the sacrifice of His perfect Lamb. We were the ones who put Jesus Christ to death. Our sin led Him to the slaughter. It leads us to grief and repentance.

A Passover lamb was the picture of innocence, but the Lamb of God is the perfect picture of righteousness. Isaiah 53:7 says "He was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth." Meditate on how a lamb is a biblical "type" of the life of Christ. Remember, Jesus went to His cross as your sacrificial lamb.

Jesus, thank You for being the Lamb who bore my sins!

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

“Wash Me, Savior, Or I Die”

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.03.2015 20:31

Today at 10:31

“Wash Me, Savior, Or I Die”

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works.” Romans 4:6

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
The same year America declared its independence from England, Augustus Toplady wrote a song declaring complete dependence upon God. He penned, “Rock of Ages.” The third verse declares, “Nothing in my hand I bring, Simply to the cross I cling; Naked, come to Thee for dress; Helpless, look to Thee for grace; Foul, I to the fountain fly; Wash me, Savior, or I die.”

It’s hard sometimes to let go of our sins AND our righteous deeds in order to completely trust in God for our salvation.

Did you know there is something about human nature that doesn’t want to do this? We want to somehow help God with our good deeds. And yet “all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6b).

ACTION POINT:
Lay your knapsack of righteous works at His feet. Pray, “God makes us righteous. Wash me, Savior, or I die.”

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message
facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

The Heart (2) Our Hearts of Self Protection

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.03.2015 12:06

Seeds of the Kingdom - Today's Devotional

24 March, 2015
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International

The Heart (2) Our Hearts of Self Protection

"Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name."
Psalm 86:11, NIV

In yesterday`s seed on the heart we established that God’s heart towards us is love and He woos us to love Him too. His heart is FOR us and He seeks that same devotion from us.

However, if we look at our hearts, we’ll see that we aren’t 100% for the Lord, as much as we want to be, and think we are. Our hearts often have walls in them; hidden compartments and places.

What’s in these hidden compartments and places? There may be sin, fear, rejected parts of ourselves, insecurity, abandonment, pain, false beliefs about ourselves or others, or inadequacies. As a result of these things, we may have felt we needed to look after ourselves, or perhaps we couldn’t bear some aspect of ourselves and we’ve pushed it away, or we don’t want God to see that aspect, because it’s messy. We may have built up walls to hide these parts of ourselves. The Lord knows this and He desperately wants to help us with those bits of our hearts.

That’s why we have scriptures like Proverbs 3:5-6; ‘Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight.’

It says ‘Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart’. The Lord’s saying “trust me with every part of your heart – not only the bits that are healed or the bits that are cleaned up or the bits that you can expose, but all of your heart”.

Many of us struggle with trust. We’re able to trust in certain circumstances, or we may be able to trust certain people, but we may not be good at trusting other people, or able to trust in other contexts. This might be because people have let us down in the past, or because, at some point, we made the decision that we needed to look after ourselves, because we didn’t feel safe growing up, or maybe we were made to take on false responsibility. But those reasons mean that we don’t trust the Lord with all of our heart.

You see, the next part says – ‘lean not on your own understanding’. This addresses self-protection. Our own way of fixing it, of protecting ourselves, is being challenged by the Lord. He says, “trust me – lean on my understanding. Let me protect you and lead you and guide you”.

These walls are what make up our ways. They are the things we hide and not just our specific sins. Maybe because of this, the Psalmist said ‘Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name’. In Psalm 86:11 (ASV or NIV) we read ‘Give me an undivided heart’.

This is a recognition that our hearts can be divided; that we can have these walls. The Psalmist is saying, “Lord, please bring all these parts of my heart together, so I can be fully toward You, and not only parts of me”. That prayer may well lead us on a journey, as the Lord reveals to us those parts of our hearts which have been hidden. But it’s a journey to greater wholeness and fullness of life, and greater intimacy with Him. So let’s come before the Lord and acknowledge any walls we have.

Prayer: Father, thank You for Your heart which is for me. I really want to have an undivided heart. Lord, please show me if there are any walls in my heart and what’s behind them. Lead me to the place where I can surrender those things to You and trust You to protect me, lead me and guide me. I truly want to honour You with all that I am. In your name Jesus, Amen

Today's Writer : Anne Lawrence
Annukka

Psalm 69:6

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.03.2015 21:04

Today's Verse for 03/24/2015
May those who hope in you not be disgraced because of me, O Lord, the LORD Almighty; may those who seek you not be put to shame because of me, O God of Israel. — Psalm 69:6

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse
Thought

What a beautiful prayer for any Christian! In a world that is so self-absorbed, isn't it refreshing to be reminded of the powerful impact for good and bad that we can have? Let's not only be reminded of the devastating impact of our hypocrisy and rebellion, let's also pray that our failures will not be destructive to the Kingdom's increase nor to our brothers and sisters in Christ as they seek to serve and honor the Lord!
Prayer

O gracious and mighty God, I do not want to sin. I know it is rebellion against you and it breaks your heart. I do not want to sin because I know it diminishes me and makes me even more vulnerable to Satan's attacks in the future. I don't want to sin and bring disgrace upon your cause O God. And Father, I don't want to sin and be the cause of those seeking you to stumble. Please forgive my sins, but please Father, strengthen me and help me not stumble in my time of temptation. In the name of the one who conquered temptation and sin, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Annukka

Proverbs 20:22

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 25.03.2015 22:25

HEARTLIGHT

Today's Verse for 03/25/2015

Do not say, "I'll pay you back for this wrong!" Wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you. — Proverbs 20:22

Thought

Revenge is Satan's way of destroying both the innocent and the offender. Once vengeance becomes the motivation, the wounded party can suddenly be swept up in rage and hatred. This poison spreads to everything the vengeful person touches. On earth, we can see that we will never find perfect and complete justice, no matter the "goodness" of the judicial system in place at the time. But God will not only bring justice; he will deliver us: deliver us from the hands of the oppressor and deliver us from the poison of hatred.
Prayer

Forgiving Lord, God of all justice and steadfast love, I ask you to be at work in the justice system of my land. Make it more equitable and true. Expose those who buy and sell justice and remove them from power. Deal with the violent and the oppressor with your hand. Please Lord, by the power of your Spirit, stir me to forgive others and to wait on your justice. Guard me from the poison of an unforgiving and vengeful heart. May my attitude, behavior, and response to those who wrong me help lead them to know your Son as their Savior. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Annukka

The Captain Comes to Take Over

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 26.03.2015 13:14

The Captain Comes to Take Over

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.” James 4:8

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Joshua had an encounter with the pre-incarnate Christ in the Old Testament near Jericho (see Joshua 5). His first words to Him were, “Art Thou for us, or for our adversaries?” (v.13). Joshua was on his guard, not wanting anyone to harm God’s people. Notice the Lord’s response, “Nay; but as Captain of the host of the Lord am I now come” (v. 14). Basically, He didn’t come to take sides, He came to take over.

Jesus is the Captain of the host of heaven, and this Conqueror with the drawn sword came to give Joshua a message of victory.

ACTION POINT:
You will never know victory until you lay your sword at His feet, bow yourself

Adrian Rogers
Annukka

God Never Takes His Eyes from You

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.03.2015 13:20

God Never Takes His Eyes from You

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“O Lord, Thou hast searched me, and known me.” Psalm 139:1

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
God sees everything you do. God knows all about you. God loves you. It is an amazing thing that the Lord would feel this way about any of us, when we are about the size of a grain of sand compared to the universe that He created.There is no more reason for God to be interested in us than for the President of the United States to be interested in an ant floating on a piece of cheesecake in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. And yet God is interested...very interested.

The sun that stays in the sky and warms the earth will ripen a bunch of bananas like it has nothing better to do. In the same way, Almighty God runs the universe and is concerned about you as though you were His only concern.

ACTION POINT:
Don’t close this email until that sinks deep into your heart.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

John 13:21

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.03.2015 20:00

Today's Verse for 03/28/2015

After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me." — John 13:21

Thought

I can still remember my friend saying it in church one Sunday: "We think so badly of old Judas for betraying the Lord for 30 pieces of silver, but how many times do we betray him for nothing?" Ouch! What makes this so difficult for us to bear is Jesus' anguish knowing one of his own would betray him. Let's make every effort and call upon God's strength so that such betrayal can never be true of us! And if it ever is, let's make sure we run toward his grace with an honest desire to escape sin and come back to him!

Prayer

Jesus, I am sorry for the times I have broken your heart with my rebellion and neglect. Father God, I apologize for my lack of passion and zeal for your Son's sacrifice that saved me from sin and death. I want to live more vibrantly for Jesus so others may see him and come to know him. It is in his precious and holy name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to
Annukka

Idols

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.03.2015 11:04

29 March, 2015
Idols

"You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself
an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath
or in the waters below."
Exodus 20:3-4, NIV

I grew up in East Germany during communism. One thing you did at that time, if you had enough space in your house or flat, was to keep almost everything, because you never knew when you would need it. This was because a lot of things were in short supply, and so it was handy to keep things, just in case you needed to improvise. So storing things actually was very useful. I remember keeping lots of things in the attic at my parent’s house, and then I ended up not even looking at the items for many years. Eventually I didn’t even know what was stored there.

At one of the Modular A courses I attended last year the Lord reminded me of all these stored boxes. In these boxes were hidden things from and about the Communist era and the Lord asked me to deal with them. My hidden idols were things like schoolbooks, certificates, and awards from that time. I kept them as mementos of that period in my life. Even though I didn’t agree with communism and what it represented, I still kept all the items. Most of the items were from the Communist ideology, which meant they weren’t pleasing to God at all.

I started to understand that Communism isn’t just a political system. It’s a false religion. What I didn’t realise was that, by keeping all those things, I was giving the enemy a foothold in my life. I had to get rid of everything, and the Lord asked me to destroy them. By doing this I was proclaiming into the heavenly realms that the idols have gone.

The Lord is very clear in His Word. ‘You shall not have other gods, and you shall not make idols or keep idols’. For me it was things from my growing up years. But idols can be different things in people’s lives that they’re holding on to. Certainly they can be everything that’s related or connected to false religions. Yet even hero worshipping celebrities or musicians can become an idol too.

My question today is: “Have you got some hidden idols in your life kept in
boxes or on shelves that you need to get rid of? Ask the Lord to speak to you about that today. ‘You shall have no other Gods before me’ is a very clear commandment.

Prayer: Thank You, Lord, for Your commandments that are given to us for guidance in our life. Lord, I ask You to show me if I`ve any hidden idols in my life that I have to deal with. Help me to make a clear proclamation into the spiritual realms by destroying everything that’s not pleasing to You. In Your name, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Today's Writer : Katrin Huehne
Annukka

Passion for Jesus

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 30.03.2015 20:24

30 March, 2015
Passion for Jesus

"Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame."
Song of Songs 8:6, NIV

Jesus has a passion for His Father and a passion for His people. He was willing and passionate enough to obey His Father, even to death on the cross. Often His death on the cross is called ‘the Passion of Christ’.

He was passionate for the cause He came for, to defeat the power of death and disarm the principalities and powers of this dark age.

We also need to be passionate for Jesus; otherwise our Christian lives will be mediocre, with no power. Are we passionate about Jesus, enough to die to self and live for Him?

The verse from Song of Songs above speaks of the passion of a lover, but Jesus is also likened to this lover. I want that type of passion for my Lord. I want to be sold out for Him, to live for Him, and spend time with Him and His Word. I don’t want to live for myself any longer. I want to be obedient, walk with Him, talk with Him, hear His voice, and spend time listening to Him. That’s my heart’s desire.

How much do we miss out on in our relationship with Jesus because of the enemy robbing and deceiving us, making our senses dulled. Let’s make a stand against the powers of darkness in our lives and live an abundant life with our Lover Jesus, who loves our very souls, which are usually the darkest part of us.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I desire to be more passionate for You. Help me, Holy Spirit, to die to self and live for Jesus, the author and perfector of my faith. Amen.

Today's Writer : Diane Watson
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum