Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Moving Home

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.03.2015 11:35

Seeds of the Kingdom

13 March, 2015
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Moving Home

"For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come."
Hebrews 13:14, NLT

For many months Anna and I have been waiting for the sale of our house and anticipating moving. Finally the time has come, our house has sold, we’ve chosen another and we’re on the move. With only a few days to go now before the removal van arrives at the door we’re busy sorting, discarding, donating, or burning all the stuff we no longer have a use for, or won’t have room for, in our new house (we are downsizing). All that remains, those items which we’ll have a use for and those which have particular significance to us, are being packed into boxes of all shapes and sizes.

Other preparations for our move have included things like notifying service providers such as the Council Tax office and the Post Office for redirection of mail. Those who’ve passed this way will know all that’s involved with moving house.

The verse above is a reminder that whether we face further moves here on earth or not, we all have one final move to make. However pleasant and comfortable we may feel where we are at present, earth is not our permanent home. When Jesus was leaving the earth to return to heaven He said that He was going back there to prepare an everlasting home for us (John 14:1-4).

As Jesus is preparing a home in heaven for all those who believe in Him, are we ready to go there? It doesn’t matter how young or old we are. We just don’t know when Jesus will call us to our new home in heaven.

Just as Anna and I have been sorting out, we all need to have a spiritual sort out and get rid of the baggage we so often carry. Fears, anxieties, hurts, pains, mistrust, guilt, and pride are things we carry, which we were never meant to. Jesus came and died on the cross to relieve us of carrying unnecessary loads. He wants us to bring all these things to the cross and acknowledge our need of healing. He made our healing possible through His death, and we need to ask Him to help us appropriate it for ourselves.

For months Anna and I have eagerly anticipated our move to a new home. Shouldn’t we eagerly anticipate our new heavenly home? Paul writing to the church at Colossae says this: ‘Since then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things’ (Colossians 3:1).

And Paul says this to the church at Phillipi: ‘Our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Saviour from there, the Lord Jesus Christ’ (Philippians 3:20).

As a Jim Reeves’ song of old puts it: ‘This world is not my home. I’m just a passing through. My treasures are all laid up, somewhere beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from heaven’s open door, and I can`t feel at home in this world anymore’.

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank You for the home in heaven that You’re preparing for me. Please help me to be ready to go there whenever that may be. Amen.

Today's Writer : Malcolm Wood
Annukka

When Tempted, You Have a Choice

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.03.2015 19:55

When Tempted, You
Have a Choice

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.” 1 John 5:18

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Do you know why the devil couldn’t get to Jesus in the midst of a 40-day fast when He was starving? He was already satisfied. You see, Jesus didn’t have an itch that the devil could scratch.

Temptation really comes down to this: A temptation is an inducement by the devil to satisfy a legitimate desire in an illegitimate way. That’s all there is to it. Take a God-given desire and satisfy it in a God-forbidden way. The devil says, “Hey you’ve got a need, and I can satisfy it.”

When tempted, you are given a choice. Do you get that need satisfied by the devil, or by the Lord? You see, the devil is a pervert. He has no raw material. All he can do is take what God has created and pervert it.

ACTION POINT:
Do you want to overcome temptation? Find out the legitimate way to satisfy that desire, and then you will not need the illegitimate way.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Psalm 80:7

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 14.03.2015 19:50

Today's Verse for 03/14/2015

Restore us, O God Almighty; make your face shine upon us, that we may be saved. — Psalm 80:7

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

This passage makes me want to cry out to God: "Please restore us God! Restore us, your people, O God, who have lost their sense of wonder! Restore our old withered hearts to their innocence. Restore our lives to their unsoiled perfection and intention. Restore us to yourself, O God Almighty!" While not every Christian has lost his or her sense of wonder and while not everyone of us has an old withered heart, we all need God's presence to shine upon us and renew us!

Prayer

O God, the maker of new things, sometimes I feel so old and worn; my soul is weary from the fight. I need your presence and strength to restore me. Please restore me to your side and make your grace alive in me. Please restore me to your love and share it with others through me. Please restore me to your righteousness so others can see your character in me. Please restore me, and not just me, please restore all those who call on your mighty name so that the world may see you in us and come to know your saving grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Annukka

Re: Devotional

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.03.2015 20:40

Today's Verse for 03/15/2015

Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death — that is, the devil. — Hebrews 2:14

Thought

Did you know that Jesus is not only our Savior, but he is also our brother! "He had to be made like his brothers" the Holy Spirit says in a few verses. We were God's lost children so Jesus came and shared our mortality, our human skin with all its limitations, so that he could defeat our worst enemy, the evil death-maker Satan. Death no longer has its hooks in us or its hold on us, because our big brother has defeated it and has gone to prepare our place at the Father's side!

Prayer

Almighty God, thank you for sending Jesus to be like me and live among people like me. As I think of your sacrifice and his love, I am overwhelmed to insignificance and then I realize that Jesus' gift has now made me your child and Jesus is now my older brother. Some days, Abba Father, it is hard for me to wait for our family reunion. Until that great reunion day, please use me to help others know about your family, your gift, and your Son! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Annukka

2:14 Hebrews

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.03.2015 20:41

Today's Verse for 03/15/2015

Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death — that is, the devil. —2:14 Hebrews

Thought

Did you know that Jesus is not only our Savior, but he is also our brother! "He had to be made like his brothers" the Holy Spirit says in a few verses. We were God's lost children so Jesus came and shared our mortality, our human skin with all its limitations, so that he could defeat our worst enemy, the evil death-maker Satan. Death no longer has its hooks in us or its hold on us, because our big brother has defeated it and has gone to prepare our place at the Father's side!

Prayer

Almighty God, thank you for sending Jesus to be like me and live among people like me. As I think of your sacrifice and his love, I am overwhelmed to insignificance and then I realize that Jesus' gift has now made me your child and Jesus is now my older brother. Some days, Abba Father, it is hard for me to wait for our family reunion. Until that great reunion day, please use me to help others know about your family, your gift, and your Son! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Annukka

Being a Disciple

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 16.03.2015 22:23

Seeds of the Kingdom

Daily Devotional for 16 March, 2015

Being a Disciple

"And now I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. If you have love for one another, then everyone will know that you are my disciples."
John 13:34, GNB

A disciple is someone called and willing to follow the teaching of Jesus. Of course people can be disciples of any teacher, but Christians have made a choice to believe that Jesus is the only person who has ever walked this earth teaching nothing but absolute truth.

His disciples desire to live in accordance with His teaching and example, and so discover more and more truth about themselves and God. They believe that following Jesus is the way to abundant life now, as well as in eternity.

They believe Jesus is the only way to really know God, and that He alone has saved mankind from the effects of sin, by His death on the cross.

Jesus initially called twelve disciples to follow Him, and He gave them instructions to proclaim the kingdom of God and heal diseases, by His authority and power. He then appointed seventy others to do the same.

Finally, as He was about to return to His Father, Jesus instructed the first disciples to continue to making more disciples, who in turn would make others. These would all continue doing the same work until the time of His return in the last days.

‘Go, then, to all peoples everywhere and make them my disciples: baptise them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and teach them to obey everything I have commanded you. And I will be with you always, to the end of the age’ (Matthew 28:19-20).

True disciples of Jesus will be recognised, primarily, not by their powerful ministry, nor by their eloquent words, nor by their place in the Church. They’ll be recognised by how they demonstrate the gracious, loving character of Jesus through the presence of the Holy Spirit, in ways that surprise and challenge the world around them.

Prayer: Father, I’m open for You to continue to change me, so it’s clear to those around me that I must be a disciple of Jesus. Amen.
Today's Writer : David Cross
Annukka

What We Want and What We Need

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 17.03.2015 12:22

17 March, 2015

What We Want and What We Need

"He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD."
Deuteronomy 8:3, NIV

“What you want and what you need are two different things”- how many times have we heard that said to us? Perhaps too many to count! This punchy truth has never hit home more powerfully for me than now as I’m parenting. It’s clear that if my wife and I would give our children what they want (every toy they see in the shops, unlimited screen-time and chocolate for each meal!) we would not be doing them any favours.

As God is the perfect Father with a faultless parenting style it’s obvious that He doesn’t always give us the things we want, the things we ask for - the things we believe are right for us. As a matter of fact, if the Lord were to give us over to our desires, which are very much influenced by our sinful nature, it would be a rather painful treatment, not a blessing. The Greek myth of King Midas should help to remind us of this!

Of course we all have right desires and valid requests. We want to be set free from oppression, delivered from difficult situations and we generally like to feel whole and healthy. Nothing wrong with that - we would be strange people if it weren’t so! Yet sometimes, when we’re seeking deliverance from these difficult situations, the Lord’s directions to us might not be what we want to hear at all.

When Jesus appeared as Israel’s Saviour the nation was being oppressed by cruel and unjust rulers. Naturally the Jews placed their hopes in their Messiah to deliver them from this oppression, as the Scriptures indicated He would do. Jesus’ response must have been quite surprising - if not upsetting! Though He never rubbished their hopes and dreams, He did consistently point out that the people’s greatest need was not freedom from Roman rulers, but freedom from the oppression of sin. Time and time again He made clear that His primary mission was to save both Jew and Gentile from their sins. This probably wasn’t exactly the message the nation was waiting for!

As we help people in Ellel Ministries a lot of the time we find the Lord working in a similar way. People may be in difficult situations and they’re crying out to God to deliver them. Though these requests might be completely valid, and God certainly cares, many times He turns our direction to matters relating to our personal relationship with Him instead. This too can be surprising and even difficult for us to bear. Yet we can trust our Father. What He wants for us is for our (eternal) good. He doesn’t always give us what we want, but that which He knows we truly need. He’s a kind, wise and perfect Father!

Prayer: Father in heaven, You know all the things I want even before I ask them. Please would You help me to understand Your heart and will for me, and follow Your agenda. I choose to trust that You know best! Thank You for loving me in a perfect way! Amen.

Today's Writer : Peter Brokaar
Annukka

The Wisdom You Need Is There for the Asking

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 18.03.2015 21:41

The Wisdom You Need Is There for the Asking

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: He is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.” Proverbs 2:7

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
In Christ there is soundness, strength, security, and satisfaction. When you come to Him with urgency, fervency, persistency, and expectancy, you will hear from Him. He is not going to think you are pestering Him; He is pleased when you ask Him for His wisdom.Annie Johnson Flint, that blessed hymn writer, wrote: “His love has no limit, His grace has no measure, His power no boundary known unto man; For out of His infinite riches in Jesus, He giveth and giveth and giveth again.”

ACTION POINT:
Ask Him, “Lord, I need to make a decision. What college do I choose? Should I marry this man or not? Is this the job You want me to have? What mechanic do I use to repair my car? Where do you want me to live? Do I rent or own?” Cast all your cares upon Him today, for He longs to fill you with Himself.

facebook.pngtwitter.png
Annukka

How Far Does His Forgiveness Reach?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 20.03.2015 19:28

How Far Does His Forgiveness Reach?

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind. Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.” 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
People have the idea today that it is okay to live in immorality and that God is going to overlook their little indiscretions. Is that so?

“Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap” (Galatians 6:7). God doesn’t miss a beat of our lives. He is the righteous judge and will judge accordingly (see Hebrews 13:4).

“Well Pastor, does that mean that if I have done any of these things, I can’t be saved?”

No! 1 Corinthians 6:11 promises: “And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.” Hallelujah! There is no sin so awful that the blood of Christ cannot cleanse. He makes the vilest sinner clean.

ACTION POINT:
Nothing—not your worst offense—stands between you and the Cross. . .between you and forgiveness. . .between you and a loving Heavenly Father—nothing but your hesitation. Come to Him. He longs to receive you.

facebook.pngtwitter.png
Annukka

The Old Life is Gone; a New Life Has Begun!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.03.2015 21:00

21 March, 2015
The Old Life is Gone; a New Life Has Begun!

"Anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!"
2 Corinthians 5:17, NLT

I love springtime in the UK, when the temperature begins to rise and the days begin to get longer. It’s my favourite time of year. Everything begins to feel and look different. The garden begins to burst forth with the vibrancy of spring flowers and the tender green leaves appear on the trees. It even begins to sound different with the dawn chorus of the birds and their loud chirruping throughout the day, as they swoop backwards and forwards, busily collecting twigs and moss to build their nests.

As I was looking out of the window at all these unmistakable signs of new life and the promise of summer to come, I remembered a notice board I saw outside a church over the New Year period. It simply said: ‘New Year, Jesus offers new life’. It was an evangelistic message of hope to the many people for whom a new year isn’t enough. Their need is for a new life: the miracle of rebirth that’s possible through Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection to life again.

As I pondered how radically different spring looks, feels and sounds to the winter that precedes it, I also thought about the challenge that lies in that message on the notice board for us, as born again Christians. We’ve been reborn into the Kingdom of God, and we’ve received the gift of new life. Does your life, or mine, look as different from the old as spring does to winter?

When we look at a daffodil or a tulip, we see its colourful bloom. It doesn’t look anything like the bulb it came from, which was hidden underground all through the winter cold and frosts. When we see a beautiful tree, covered in a cloud of delicate pink blossom or quivering new leaves, we know it’s been utterly transformed from its stark black-brown skeleton of winter. What do people see when they look at you or me?

Of course we can have unresolved issues in our lives even when we’ve received Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross for us, and His gift of new life. Everything isn’t instantly perfect. There’s an ongoing walk of being open to His Holy Spirit convicting us of sin, then confession and receiving His forgiveness and cleansing, and bringing our wounds to Him for healing. But as vital as dealing with these areas is, they’re not things that need to utterly consume us. For even as we walk this walk, if our focus is upwards to Him and not downwards and inward looking to ourselves, and if we’re yielding day by day to the enabling power of His Holy Spirit, our lives will be the ‘living letter’ that Paul talks about (2 Corinthians 3:1-3). Our lives will be a witness to those who’ve come to the end of themselves and the old life. We’ll show that a new life is possible, through the saving love and grace of Jesus. A notice board outside a church is one thing, but how much more powerful it is when the Spirit of God touches another, as the new life we have in Jesus radiates from us?

Prayer: Thank You, Lord Jesus, for the price You paid on the cross for me, and thank You for Your resurrection life. Thank You that I’ve been reborn into Your kingdom. The winter is past and the rains are over and gone, the flowers are springing up, and the season of singing birds has come. Even as I face difficult issues in my life, with You, may they not eclipse the love, grace and mercy You`ve poured out for me. May my thankfulness radiate out so that others will be pointed to You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Today's Writer : Julie Smith
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum