Valvoja: Annukka

Eight Words that can Save Your Life!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.12.2014 10:50

15 December, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Eight Words that can Save Your Life!

“To fear the Lord is to hate evil.”
Proverbs 8:13, NIV

I’ve recently been casting my mind back over the years of Ellel Ministries and thinking of all the stories I would want to put in a book about what God has done since the work began back in 1986. As I did so, I found myself also thinking back about some people who we would love to have helped more than we were able – people for whom the key to their situation lay within the eight words of our short Scripture for today!

They were people who said they really loved the Lord. People who had been touched by Him at different times of their lives, but people, nevertheless, who were still struggling with issues that seemed to overwhelm them at regular intervals. They found that the temptations of the world were too often greater than they were able to handle and kept on slipping back into a variety of sinful behaviours. Some came back several times – each time deeply repentant, but at the core of their being there was something out of order.

When talking about healing I often say that the best definition of healing principles that I know is “the restoration of God’s order in a person’s life”. This doesn’t mean living life according to how I would like things to be, but living according to how God has said they should be. On this rock many people stumble. They want God to fit in with their ideas and desires – not the other way round! And at the end of the day, for some of these dear people, the real issue is not the size or the nature of their problem, but the simple fact that while they say they love the Lord, but they haven’t yet learned to hate evil!

Many of our daily Seeds of the Kingdom have touched on the simple relationship there is between the fear of the Lord and love for the Lord. If you really love someone you naturally don’t want to do things that grieve them. And so it is that if you REALLY love the Lord, the last thing you will want to do is to embrace any of the evil which separated man form God, and which Jesus died on the cross to set us free from. If we are struggling with temptation of any form today let’s ask ourselves the hard question - have we fallen into the trap of loving this particular evil thing more than we love the Lord? If so, it may be time to repent – not so much of the sin associated with your problem, but of thinking it’s OK not to hate evil, which is so often the real issue that underpins the problem of temptation! Loving evil will always separate us from God!

Prayer: Thank You, Lord, that You loved men and women such as me, so much, that you sent Jesus to die for our sins, in spite of the evil that separated You from mankind. Help me, Lord, to recognise evil when I see it, before it becomes a temptation and a trap I can fall into. Help me, also, Lord to hate evil and to choose to walk in the opposite direction when I am faced with ungodly choices. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Today's Writer : Peter Horrobin
Annukka

Eternal Life

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 16.12.2014 10:33

16 December, 2014
Eternal Life

"Whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."
John 3:16, NIV

I was reading a history of the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramesses II, who was probably ruling in Egypt around the time of the Exodus. I was fascinated to see how he and other kings of Egypt spent so much of their time and effort in building amazing monuments and extensive tombs in which they hoped to rest after death. Their hope was of a continuing existence in the afterlife which could be achieved if the gods were kind to you, and the deceased had to prepare for the journey to the afterlife by taking all manner of practical helps and of course gifts to give to the god in question when they arrived. The body was to be preserved by a process involving mummifying the human remains so that the king could really live for ever.

Consequently the tomb that Ramesses built was amazing in design and dimensions, extending back into the rock face hundreds of metres until the actual burial chamber was reached. The walls of the tombs and the temples of the Pharaohs (Ramesses proclaimed himself divine) were covered with the story of their prowess in war, their amazing physique, their huge families and generally how wonderful they were.

The sad thing is that it was all a waste of time, effort and money! Not many years after his death, Ramesses’ tomb was raided, some of the materials that were used in the construction were reused by his successors in the building of their tombs, and often the great stories of his heroics were painted over with the new king’s story. Ramesses’ mummified body ended up in someone elses coffin, stacked with others in a side room of a storage facility before finally being put on display in a museum following much ‘plastic surgery’ to correct the effect of 3000 years of neglect.

All this goes to show that eternal life is nothing we can achieve by our own effort, however well-connected we are. The most influential and wealthy are no more able to manipulate their way into eternity than the lowest and least. What an amazing God we have who makes it possible for all who have faith in Jesus to enter into the promise of Life for ever, without any effort on our part (other than repentance and whole-life obedience!). Jesus said ” I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:10) and John the Apostle reminds us in that wel- known verse that whoever believes in Jesus will have eternal life. (John 3:16)

Like Ramesses my body will one day decay, no matter how well made the coffin could be. However, the real me will live for ever in eternity with my Lord. No mega monument or stupendous sarcophagus can possibly equal the grace and love of God which assures us of our eternity.

Prayer: thank you Father God for giving us the privilege of eternal hope as we trust in you. Thank you for doing what we could never do, making a way, through Jesus, into heaven simply because you love us and want us to be with you. Please forgive us for often trying to achieve eternal life by our own efforts. Amen.

Today's Writer : Margaret Silvester Margaret Silvester
Annukka

Houses Built of Cards

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 17.12.2014 10:52

17 December, 2014
Houses Built of Cards

"For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is
Jesus Christ."

I Corinthians 3:11, NKJV

Firstly, a correction to yesterday`s devotional. The writer was actually John Berry, not Margaret Silvester.

Life is full of challenges! Some are easy to overcome. We’re able to handle them and even learn something from our experiences. We see them as stumbling blocks that come along during our daily lives, small things that get sorted out quickly.

Other times we face challenges that seem overwhelming, from our point of view. These times feel more like boulders coming down on us. We may have prayed and hoped for a quick fix, or a fast way out, but there was none. Slowly we came to realise that the road is one that has to be walked. And then the questions, doubts and fears arise. Why did this happen to me? Why does it seem as if the Lord isn’t answering my prayers? What did I do wrong to allow this to happen to me? How long will this go on? Questions without answers.

The enemy comes like a flood, sweeps us off our feet, and suddenly his schemes and plans surround us like giants. The Bible warns us: ‘Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour’ (1 Peter 5:8, NKJV). It’s during this time of darkness in our lives that we need to hold on to the Lord; to the light that always shines with hope and comfort.

I realised recently that the enemy’s plans are actually like houses built of cards. Sometimes they seem very impressive and overwhelming. For a while we’re even blinded by the deceptive nature of his attack on our lives.

But I realised the enemy’s plans aren’t built on a foundation. He has no foundation to build on to in our lives. We belong to our Lord Jesus Christ. Our God doesn’t need a foundation to build on, because He IS the foundation! Our lives are built on His plans and purposes for us.

Whatever the enemy throws at us is like crumpled paper. His card houses have no substance; no glue to even hold the cards together. A mere breath from our Father, and the cards fall apart. The light shines through, and we find ourselves actually standing on ‘the Rock’ - Jesus Christ, our Foundation.

Prayer: My Lord and Father, thank You for bringing light into my life and for showing me that my feet are actually upon a rock. Thank You for being my hope and giving me strength for the road I’m on. Hold me close to You, please, so I can hear Your heartbeat when things seem overwhelming. Breathe on me, dear Lord. Breathe on me, and make me whole. Amen.

Today's Writer : Annalene Holtzhausen
Annukka

A Lesson from Jonah

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 18.12.2014 10:10

18 December, 2014
A Lesson from Jonah

"Now, Lord, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live."
Jonah 4:3, NIV

Jonah had an attitude from the very beginning. He heard God’s voice but he didn’t want to do what God said. So he ran away. Then God caught up with him in a storm. I imagine when Jonah told them to throw him overboard that he figured his life was over, but God didn’t let him go that easily! He sent a giant fish to swallow Jonah and keep him alive! I can imagine Jonah sitting there, feeling sorry for himself, saying, “This day has gone from bad to worse!” Finally he repented and decided to do what God told him to do. But he still seems to have had an attitude! He gave God’s message and people repented! This is what every evangelist wants! But not Jonah. He wasn’t an evangelist. He was a prophet! God showed mercy on the city because of their repentance, but Jonah was sitting waiting for their destruction. I’ve always found it strange that he was angry about God’s compassion, so I asked God recently about it and I feel He gave me a revelation. I thought about what would happen if this story were current. What if Jonah lived today? What would people in his home nation say if they heard that he’d prophesied destruction and it didn’t happen? He’d be called a false prophet! So it seems to me that perhaps Jonah was more concerned with his reputation than he was with bringing God’s heart to people.

How about us? Do we know what God’s telling us to do? Do we do it immediately, or do we spend time trying to do something else? Do we eventually give in and do what He said to do, but with the wrong attitude? And, most importantly, are we concerned more with the outcome, and how we will look to others, than with obeying the Lord?

One of our teachers said when God tells you to pray for healing for someone you don’t have to worry about nothing happening. Your responsibility is obedience, and God’s responsibility is the outcome. God can take care of His own reputation and we need to care more about what God thinks than what man thinks about us!

Wherever you are in this process, surrender yourself to God. Give Him your attitudes. Allow Him to lead you, and walk in obedience to Him.

Prayer: Lord, please forgive me for the times I’ve been afraid to do what You’ve told me to do, because I was worried about what people would think. Help me to look only to You, and to obey You wholeheartedly. Amen.

Today's Writer : Tanya Person
Annukka

Jesus will come back

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 19.12.2014 10:14

19 December, 2014
Jesus will come back

"For the Scriptures say, “‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bend to me, and every tongue will declare allegiance to God.’” Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God."
Romans14 v11-12, NLT

I was in London on that last Friday in November which seems, recently, to have become known as Black Friday; thankfully I was not shopping although in the main shopping area. I felt a bit sad about it as I normally quite like the buzz and the lights in London before Christmas but it was so busy. I was pondering on what Black Friday meant as I hadn’t heard of it before and I discovered it comes from the financial term of being in the ‘black’ ie in credit as opposed to being in the ‘red’, in debt. The retailers are trying to make a profit to be ‘in the black’

We are now in Advent, the time when Christians think about the coming of Jesus and are encouraged by church leaders to check that they are ready should the time of His return be today. I was thinking of the advent calendars that I had as a child. They weren’t about the second coming but about the birth of Jesus, but at least they were about Jesus. The little windows were hiding pictures relating to the nativity and we all knew that the last window would have the baby Jesus behind it. Now it is hard to find one with a nativity scene on it; they are all about the latest superhero or television character. They are usually hiding chocolate and I even heard that there is one that has a miniature bottle of whiskey or gin behind every window.

How does any of this help us to think about the coming of Jesus whether it be for the first or second time? There was certainly no sense in London on that Friday that the people, who were battling into the shops and standing in long queues, were at all concerned about the possibility that Jesus might return today.

The verses for today, which were originally written by Isaiah and are quoted several times in the New Testament, assure us that Jesus most certainly will return and when He does everyone will have to acknowledge Him.

Christmas and Advent may well have been hijacked, to a large extent. The enemy’s strategy is to distract as many as possible from the truth of what they are all about but as God’s people lets us resolve not to be distracted.

Prayer: Dear Father help us to keep our eyes fixed on our Lord Jesus Christ this Advent and Christmas and may the joy of knowing Him flow out from us to those who have been caught up in the deception. Amen.

Today's Writer : Dotty Cockcroft
Annukka

God’s Provision, A Living Testimony

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 20.12.2014 15:04

God’s Provision, A Living Testimony

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
What is it about your life that you cannot explain apart from God? Do you know that’s the only part of you that is believable? Let me illustrate. If your neighbor can explain you, then you are just like him—only you’re religious.

Friend, your life as a religious person is not going to convince him of the power of God. But when he sees God supernaturally meeting your needs, then, you’re going to be believable.

ACTION POINT:
How is your life radiating the light of our Lord in your neighborhood? Invite your neighbors over for a night of fellowship and share with them the Good News of the divine birth of Jesus.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Luke 2:6-7

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.12.2014 20:58

Today's Verse for 12/21/2014

While [Joseph and Mary] were [in Bethlehem], the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. — Luke 2:6-7

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

I've always been amazed at how God chose to place his Son into our world. He could have done it any way he wanted. But he chose this way — to enter the world in difficult times under difficult circumstances as a helpless infant who must be cared for by parents who were vulnerable to so many frailties. Yet in spite of the challenges that lay ahead and the bewildering mystery that confronted them, Joseph and Mary — along with everyone around them — were caught up in the great joy of this new child. Thank God for such new hope!

Prayer

Give me a heart of faith, O God, so that I might always see your sovereignty and grace being poured out on me in special ways. I am thrilled that you, the Creator and Sustainer of the entire universe, chose to enter my world as a child. Thank you for trusting your wonderful salvation to human flesh so we could know that you deemed us worthy of entering our world to make us right for yours. In the name of your Son, Jesus. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Annukka

Loneliness During the Holidays

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.12.2014 21:01

Loneliness During the Holidays

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“For Thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.” Psalm 116:8

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
I believe that the holidays are the loneliest time of the year. Everywhere you look, people are told they’re supposed to be happy and they realize they’re not. They see everybody else acting happy, and they feel so lonely. Just walking down the mall can make you feel lonely.

But Jesus has said, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee” (Hebrews 13:5). When I’m discouraged, His presence sees me through. When I’m lonely His presence cheers me up. When I’m worried, His presence calms me down. And when I am tempted, His presence will help me out.

ACTION POINT:
Write down the last portion of this devotional thought and personalize it. Now use it as a prayer of faith and trust.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

How Seriously Do We Take God’s Word?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.12.2014 12:46

22 December, 2014
How Seriously Do We Take God’s Word?

"Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son … Zechariah asked the angel, “How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.” The angel said to him ... “I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their appointed time”."
Luke 1: 11-12 & 18-20, NIV

This part of the Christmas story is only found in Luke’s gospel, and his source must have been Mary, the mother of Jesus. In reading it again, it struck me that despite Zechariah seeing an angel standing before him, and then speaking directly to him, he didn’t believe the words he heard. In case you might think I’m being unfair on Zechariah, because it would indeed have taken a miracle for his wife Elizabeth to conceive, just think of Mary and Joseph. Mary had the same angel appear to her, and with an even more amazing promise – she, a virgin, would conceive God’s own son, yet she believed. And Joseph, to whom she was betrothed, only had a dream to go on to convince him to marry Mary, yet he did.

Of the three individuals, Zechariah (a priest of many year standing), Mary (a young girl) and Joseph (a carpenter), who would you have felt most likely to believe what they had been told? I would have chosen Zechariah the priest every time, yet he didn’t or couldn’t believe God’s word to him.

This made me ponder on a few things I’d like to share with you. Firstly, being a follower of God for many years doesn’t mean we have greater faith to believe the things we read in His word than a more recent believer – does familiarity breed complacency (rather than contempt!)? Secondly, God takes His word very seriously indeed. Because of the doubt or unbelief in Zechariah’s heart he was struck dumb until his promised son (John) arrived. Since God takes His word that seriously, shouldn’t we do the same? But, God’s word is not just contained in the messages to Zechariah, Mary and Joseph. The Bible is God’s word and contains many precious promises, words of encouragement, challenge, warning and blessing. Am I, or are you, guilty of doubting them? Has that ‘weed of doubt’ crept into our Christian lives unnoticed? As we read God’s word do we hold on to the truth of each and every one of them, or are we saying in our hearts “How can I be sure?”

Prayer: Dear Lord. I am truly sorry for doubting Your precious word to me. If any ‘weed of doubt’ or unbelief has crept into my life then I choose to ask You now to dig it out. I want nothing to do with it! Your word is truth to me because You are the way, the truth and the life. Let my focus be clear and my faith in You be fixed and firm this Christmas time. Amen.

Today's Writer : Philip Asselin
Annukka

God with Us

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.12.2014 07:19

God with Us

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“Behold, the virgin shall become pregnant and give birth to a Son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel — which, when translated, means, God with us.”
(Matthew 1:23, AMP)

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

In scripture, Jesus was called by many names according to His attributes. In today’s verse, He is called Emmanuel, which means God with us. He’s not far away; He’s looking down on us; He is closer than the air we breathe. That means you never have to be alone or feel afraid. You never have to wonder where God is! But, we have to do our part. In the natural, you can have someone sitting right next to you and never really know them. It’s the same way with God. We have to take time to acknowledge Him as Lord and talk to Him throughout the day. When you draw near to God, He will draw near to you!

Today, take some time to meditate on this verse. Be aware of His presence around you. Praise Him and thank Him for being Emmanuel — God with us!

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father, thank You for being close to me today and giving me Your comfort and peace. I acknowledge You and yield my heart to You so that I can bring You glory in everything I do in Jesus’ name. Amen.

— Joel & Victoria Osteen
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum