tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

John 3:17

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.12.2013 20:23

Today's Verse for 12/11/2013

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. — John 3:17

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

God is not the big Scrouge in the sky, criticially looking down on his flawed children waiting to condemn those who mess up. Instead, he saw how broken, flawed, and messed up we were and entered our world to save it... to save us. God's purpose in sending Jesus is our life and our salvation.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, deliver me from the sin that entangles my actions and pollutes my heart. Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit in me through your Holy Spirit. Thank you for your forgiveness and grace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

Small Steps

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.12.2013 20:25

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional December 11, 2013

Small Steps

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Galatians 5:25

A friend of mine who suffers from migraine headaches tells me that on some mornings she wakes up thinking, How can I do this? I don't have the will to even get out of bed. Lord, help me just make it to the shower. On days like this, she says she's doing great if she can make it to lunch time without collapsing back in bed from pain.

When you're hurting, life is lived in steps. Very small steps. The sufficiency of Christ is more than enough to meet the needs of a lifetime, but life can only be lived one day, one moment, at a time.

This is why today's verse is one of my friend's favorites. Especially the part about keeping "in step with the Spirit." The meaning here is not about keeping pace, as if the Spirit were racing ahead and we'd better keep up with Him; it has to do with measuring one's moments in a slow and circumspect way. God's strength is available one day at a time (Lamentations 3:22-23). And frankly, when you're suffering like my friend, you are only able to take one day at a time -- often, one hour at a time.

Contentment comes from many great and small acceptances in life. What is there in your life right now that is slowing you down? Can you thank God for it, knowing that it makes you gear down to a slower speed? Discontented people are always rushing ahead to escape the 'now' of their circumstances. The environment in which to learn how to be content is the environment of moments and small steps. When life isn't the way you like it, like it the way it is one day, one hour at a time... with Christ. And you will be blessed.

There are things in my life, Lord, which are slowing me down. Help me to see these 'problems' as opportunities to keep in closer step with the Spirit.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

A “Murmuration” of Christians!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.12.2013 20:27

11 December, 2013
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
A “Murmuration” of Christians!

“How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity! It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron’s beard, down upon the collar of his robes. It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the Lord bestows His blessing, even life for evermore.”
Psalm 133, NIV

Murmuration is a word describing a vast flock of starlings as they gather together each evening to find a roost for the night. Each murmuration can consist of hundreds of thousands of birds all swirling together in the evening sky. It may begin with a small flock of birds, but gradually other flocks arrive, and more and more, until they all join together in one massive flock. As they move they form incredible patterns, sometimes dense black patches, sometimes looser circles or trails, until after a while they all plunge to earth and “disappear” in whatever patch of reed-bed or undergrowth they have chosen. What is so amazing is that while they are swirling about, they never seem to bump into each other. They twist and turn in tight formation but it is always smooth and graceful and the patterns are never broken by a couple of birds colliding.

How wonderful it would be if we could live together in the same kind of unity! Sadly as Christians we can often be unkind to one another, ruffling another person’s feathers or taking a peck in the form of an unkind remark. So often that remark is out of our mouths before we have had time to check it.

Where we dwell together in unity, God commands a blessing, and we will all have experienced the times when the blessings have flowed. Of course the opposite is also true: that where we are not in unity God withholds His blessing.

Prayer: Dear Father God, Please forgive me for the times that I hurt others and help me to forgive others when they hurt me. Please help me to check myself before I say or do something hurtful or unkind. Help us to put our unity in You above selfish considerations, in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Today's Writer : Angela Weir
Annukka

One Man (Part One)

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.12.2013 12:10

12 December, 2013
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
One Man (Part One)

"For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Matthew 6:14-15, NIV

Nelson Mandela has died. He was ninety five; it was his time to die. The legacy this one man leaves behind has touched the world.

Yet, when he finally died, it rocked the nation of South Africa and indeed the world. God raised this one man for a purpose. Once he found his purpose on earth, he was single minded, nothing would stop him in his vision to rid South Africa of the scourge of apartheid. He was even prepared to die for his convictions.

His purpose reminds me of both Joseph and David. Joseph suffered a lengthy jail sentence for doing something right. David was a fugitive for years because his popularity was a threat to the king. Maybe God had to build character in them before he could use them for His good purpose. Madiba (the name of his Xhosa clan) spent twenty seven years in prison for inciting violence. That’s a long prison sentence. But the ruling government at the time was fearful of releasing him from prison as it would mean the end of their minority rule. The hope the nation was putting in this one man was turning the nation of South Africa upside down. Because of the violence in the country and isolation from the world, he was finally released. The White minority feared the worst; the Black majority were ready for war. There would be no winners, only losers.

But God was working in this one man, Nelson Mandela. God was molding him, restoring him, teaching him about that all important law, a law above all laws, forgiveness!

Forgiveness, the only way towards a win: win victory for the people of South Africa. However, ‘… there is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins. (Ecc 7:20) Godly forgiveness was the only answer.

Today's Writer : Derek Puffett
Annukka

John 4:14

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.12.2013 18:35

Today's Verse for 12/12/2013
...but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. — John 4:14

Thought

Water! That precious gift for the tired and thirsty. Water! That essential refreshement we all need. Jesus, however, offers water we don't have to carry or purify. No, this is water that wells up within us. This is the water that the Holy Spirit brings us. This is the water that gives us eternal life that starts now and lasts forever!
Prayer

Father, I know Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to live in me when I became a Christian. I ask that my stubborn will and that my sinful desires can be overcome with the Spirit's power, and that my life will display the joy and confidence that your refreshing presence brings. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Annukka

The Welfare in His Name

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.12.2013 18:36

The Welfare in His Name

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Therefore being justified by faith we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” Romans 5:1

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
The thing your heart is yearning for is peace. Jesus is called “The Prince of Peace.” The Bible says, “Let the peace of God rule your heart” (Philippians 4:7). You see, God, through Jesus, came to give you peace.

Has anyone ever left you anything in a will? Jesus did. Just before He went to the cross He said, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid” (John 14:27).

This is the legacy Jesus left for you. Jesus willed His body to Joseph of Arimathea for burial. Jesus gave the care of His mother to the apostle John. Jesus yielded up His spirit to God the Father. But Jesus gave His peace to you. And there’s no lawyer on earth that can break that will. It is yours. It is your throne gift.

ACTION POINT:
If you don’t have peace, it’s because you don’t understand what you have in the name of Jesus. There’s welfare in His name. Call upon Him today. Ask Him to help you receive the peace He has provided.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message

FacebookTwitter
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Detours

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.12.2013 18:39

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional December 12, 2013

Detours

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
Matthew 6:34

There's an old saying that goes, "A contented man is the one who enjoys the scenery along the detours." We usually think of detours as interruptions in an otherwise well-charted path. True, detours can be viewed as problems which slow us down (we learned that yesterday). However, sometimes the detour doesn't involve problems, but people. In order to build contentment, God places people in our path; but God never considers people as interruptions.

For instance, my 84-year-old mother once came to California to visit Ken and me. Arthritis and a heart condition had shortened my mother's stride, so I set aside all the deadlines, the demanding appointments, and the commitments screaming for my undivided attention in order to keep in step with her. She wasn't an interruption; she was more important than all my commitments stacked together.

For those few weeks, I was on a "detour." But I enjoyed the scenery along the way. That said something for me! I live with my wheelchair in high gear. The way I figured it, the staff meetings and production schedules would worry about themselves. Over those weeks, I measured my days more slowly. The secret of being content is to take one day at a time. Not five years or ten, but one day. Like the manna that fell fresh from heaven each morning, God supplies the needs of his children with the dawning of each day. "... his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness" (Lamentations 3:23).

Bill Gothard has said, "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but the realization of how much you already have. It is realizing that God has already given me everything I need for my present happiness." My 84-year-old mother is my reminder of this wonderful truth. What person has God placed in your life to remind you to be content?

There are people in my life, Lord, who 'slow me down.' Help me not to be anxious or worried about that. Help me to be content to live at their pace.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends
Annukka

The Good Land

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.12.2013 09:04

The Good Land

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“For the LORD your God is bringing you into a good land — a land with brooks, streams, and deep springs gushing out into the valleys and hills.”
(Deuteronomy 8:7, NIV)

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

Are you facing an area of lack in your life? Lack in your finances, lack in your relationships, lack in your physical health? The good news is that’s not the place God wants you to stay. He wants to bring you into a new land with no lack, no shortage, no defeat and no mediocrity. He wants you to live in a place where you will have more than enough so you can be a blessing to others. He wants to lift you up and keep you up. He wants you to remain stable and strong in Him.

The key is, in order to get God’s results, we have to do things God’s way. His love is unconditional; His access is unlimited, but our obedience is what opens the door to His blessings. We have to do our part and humble ourselves before Him and keep pressing forward with an attitude of faith and expectancy.

Remember, promotion doesn’t come from people, it comes from the Lord. When we follow Him, He leads us into the land of blessing, the land of more than enough, the land of opportunity. Today, put Him first, follow His commands and let Him lead you into the good land!

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father, thank You for Your goodness and faithfulness in my life. Thank You for restoring my soul and leading me beside still waters. Today, I recommit my life afresh and anew. Help me follow Your commands and leading in every area of my life in Jesus’ name! Amen.

— Joel & Victoria Osteen
Annukka

Romans 8:38-39

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.12.2013 18:15

Today's Verse for 12/13/2013

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. — Romans 8:38-39

Thought

Nothing could keep Jesus from coming to save you — not the distance between heaven and earth, not the difficulty of an unexpected pregnancy, not a city fully of travelers and parents tired from a long journey, certainly not a maniacal king who sought to snuff out his life, not jeering mobs crying crucify him, not disciples that abandoned him, not soldiers that mocked him, not a whip that raked his flesh, and not a cross that claimed his physical life. So what makes you think he would let you go or give up on you after his love has captured your heart?

Prayer

Abba Father, help me understand your love more fully. Give me strength to overcome the doubts Satan has tried to plant in my heart. Bless me with your gracious power and transform me out of my own weakness into a useful tool for your service. Keep my eyes fixed on the Lord whose hand will not let the waves claim me nor let my own doubts detroy me. In Jesus' mighty name I pray. Amen.

Annukka

Jesus, the Savior

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.12.2013 18:16

Jesus, the Savior

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for He shall save His people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
One day I drove my car off the hot pavement out into a grassy area because I knew where there was a persimmon tree. I love persimmons and I thought, “Well, this is about the time those persimmons would be ripe.” But I got impossibly stuck in the mud. I got a board and tried to dig myself out. I found a piece of carpet there in the woods and put that under the tires. My tires only sunk deeper.

I prayed, “Lord, I’m in the mud. I need your help. I’m helpless here. Lord, get me out.” And almost at the same time, a man came by in a four-wheel vehicle. With that mighty truck he pulled me slowly out of the mud. I was back on solid ground.

I was so grateful. I hadn’t known what to do, but God sent someone in a four-wheel truck with a cable. That’s so much like salvation. We’re looking for the things of this world and sinking in the mud. We say, “Well, I can get myself out of this.” And the more we try to handle it, the deeper and deeper we sink. We need somebody who will see us, care for us, come to us, and get us out. Jesus is a Savior. He has what it takes to extricate us from the mud we’ve gotten in.

When I got home, my car was covered with mud. I got out the hose and began to get the mud off. That man got me out of the mud, but it was up to me to deal with the mud that was still on there. When I got saved I was covered with mud. But since then I’ve been letting Jesus, the water of life, clean me up.

ACTION POINT:
You can struggle all you want, but all you’re going to do is sink deeper. Stop the struggle. Surrender to Christ. You do not have what it takes to get out unless someone takes you out. And that one is Jesus. His name is wonderful. He is the mighty God, the everlasting Father, the Prince of peace.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message

FacebookTwitter
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum