tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Deuteronomy 13:4

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.10.2014 19:08

Today's Verse for 10/09/2014

It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. — Deuteronomy 13:4

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

So many people want us to follow their lead and obey their voice. Only God alone has proved himself faithful and loving through the ages. In his might he is to be revered. But rather than seeing reverence as a "church thing," we are reminded by Moses it is a "life thing." We are to obey and keep his commandments, we are to serve him and depend upon him in our daily lives. Rather than silence in the assembly, reverence is action to his glory!

Prayer

Holy and Righteous Father, help me take my worship outside the church building into my day to day life as I try to live what I sing, practice what I say, and pursue what I pray. In Jesus' name. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Annukka

A "Know-So" or a "Hope-So" Salvation?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.10.2014 16:59

A "Know-So" or a "Hope-So" Salvation?

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God; Not of works, lest any man should boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
If you think you’re going to get to heaven by your good works, I guarantee you will always wonder if you’ve done enough. You will not have a “know-so” salvation. You will have a “hope-so” salvation. Rather than standing up straight in confidence like an exclamation point, you will be bent over and wondering like a question mark. That is, until you understand that it’s all by grace.

Suppose everybody who wanted to be saved had to run around the block. Some can’t run. What if you had to read a chapter in the Bible to be saved? Some can’t read. But there is one thing that can make the promise sure, and that is grace.

ACTION POINT:
Who can you share this Good News with today? Think of at least one person, and ask God to give you a bold love and a divine opportunity to do just that. We also invite you to read “You Can Be Sure” for more insights on the eternal security of the believer. Just visit us at: You Can Be Sure

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

I Want it Now!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.10.2014 09:56

11 October, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
I Want it Now!

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens."
Ecclesiastes 3:1, NIV

There`s great excitement in our house whenever we prepare to go to visit Nana and Grandee`s house for the school holidays. Kyle, aged 6, knows the days of the week and is able to count how many days we have to go and understand that a lot needs to happen before we reach Saturday morning, when we leave. On the other hand Zoe, aged 2½, can`t understand why it doesn’t just happen now...for her there`s no reason at all why we just can’t go immediately and enjoy ourselves. Zoe’s way of handling her frustration is one of a typical two year old... stamping her feet and demanding (in a very loud voice) to know why it can’t be her way!

I`m fairly convinced that most of us can relate to Zoe`s attitude. We all want our desires met and met, “Now!” It takes a more mature outlook to be able to see that many other things need to happen before we reach the goal, and an even more mature attitude to recognise that we don`t know all of the things that have to happen ... but trust that someone will make them happen by doing one job after another.

When I consider life, I could very happily list all the things I would like God to resolve and resolve them, “Now!” However, I must allow myself to take a step back and recognise that a lot needs to happen before then, and also that some of those things are not for me to understand or worry about, but to trust God to do His work in His time.

We need to make our daily walk one of step-by-step obedience. Of course, we can look forward to what we would like to see as our future, but there`s no use in living our lives thinking it`s going to happen `now` if we just stamp our feet and make demands. We need to live knowing that the way to the desires of our heart is to just take the next step of obedience, however trivial or inconsequential that step may seem to be.

Prayer: Father God, You have a perfect plan for my life; You have a time for everything and a path for me to walk. Help me to take life one step at a time, being obedient to Your voice, even in the small things. Help me find the desires of my heart, and Yours, this way. Amen.

Today's Writer : Lindsey Hanekom
Annukka

Thankful in Trials

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.10.2014 20:31

Thankful in Trials

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Give thanks unto the Lord, call upon His name, make known His deeds among the people.” 1 Chronicles 16:8

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
If you are a child of God, you ought to be able to thank God every moment of every day no matter what happens to you.

Have you ever stopped to thank God for the water that you drink? Did you know that in some countries in the world, the majority of the population doesn’t have reasonably pure drinking water? Millions of people die annually just from water-related diseases.

If you wear a hearing aid, do you ever thank God for that? Some people wish they had a hearing aid.

If you are a student in the midst of final exams, do you thank God that you have an exam to take? There are many who wish they could afford college.

Do you thank God for your next breath?

ACTION POINT:
Take whatever it is that looks like a trial in your life today and thank God for it! Thank Him every time the thought enters your mind to grumble or complain.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Proverbs 3:5-6

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.10.2014 20:10

Today's Verse for 10/12/2014

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. — Proverbs 3:5-6

Thought

When things are tough, I find it easy to call on God and lean on his mercy and grace. He's my ripcord Savior. But I must confess, when I'm reveling in his blessings and things are going well, I am so much like the Israelites and forget to acknowledge that all the blessings I have and all the opportunities I have received come because of his grace. In my joy and success, I need to learn to acknowledge him and not trust on my own wisdom and strength when things appear to be going well!

Prayer

Gracious Father, every good thing I have in my life has come because of you. The family I have been blessed with, the protection I have received, the values that I hold, the successes I have enjoyed, the hope I have, the salvation I have received, and the future I anticipate are all mine because of your grace and not my goodness. Thank you! Thank you! In the name of Jesus I thank you more! Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.

Today's Verse Illustrated
Annukka

Renewable Energy

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.10.2014 09:07

13 October, 2014
Renewable Energy

`Those who wait on the Lord will find new strength, They will fly high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.`
Isaiah 40:31, NLT

The other day I was looking at a leaking kettle. I began to think how we, as Christians, `leak` and how Paul encourages the Ephesians to be filled with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:18).

Bible scholars tell us that the original meaning of the term `be filled`, as used here by the Apostle, means to be continually being filled. As we daily operate in the power of the Holy Spirit, seeking to be the light and salt in the world that Jesus requires us to be, and endeavouring in some way to demonstrate the character of Jesus, we expend spiritual energy, which needs to be replenished.

Paul explains to the Christians at Corinth why this is so, when he says that, `the light and power that now shines within us – is held in perishable containers, that is in our weak bodies` (2 Corinthians 4:7). Is it any wonder, then, that we need regular refilling? Paul, at another time, prays for the church at Ephesus, when he says `I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will give you mighty inner strength through the Holy Spirit` (Ephesians 3:16).

As Christians, we have continual access to a limitless resource of power for fulfilling God`s purposes here on earth. Another of Paul`s prayers describes this power- `I pray that you will begin to understand the incredible greatness of his power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honour at God`s right hand in heavenly realms` (Ephesians 1:19-20).

I recently saw a video clip of an aircraft being refuelled in flight. This operation enables the plane to continue its journey and extends the range of its mission. We have a similar facility available to us in the spiritual realm as we regularly pray the words of that familiar chorus:

`Spirit of the Living God fall afresh on me. Melt me, Mould me, Fill me, Use me`. Amen.

Today's Writer : Malcolm Wood
Annukka

Whose Side Are You On?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 14.10.2014 09:53

14 October, 2014
Whose Side Are You On?

"Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked, `Are you for us or for our enemies?` `Neither,` he replied, `but as commander of the army of the Lord I have now come`"
Joshua 5:13-14a

Joshua had led the children of Israel across the river Jordan as God parted the waves of the river in full flood. He had taken over from Moses as God’s chosen leader, and tomorrow he was to lead them into battle against the heavily fortified city of Jericho. As I read Joshua 5 I see Joshua unable to sleep, restless, concerned. He knew in his heart that God had promised victory, but in his mind he was weighing up the possibilities of success and failure. These are the inevitable ‘what if’ scenarios that cause us to lose sleep if we take our focus off God.

So we find Joshua outside his tent, late at night on the eve of battle. As he walks around the camp of sleeping men and women he encounters a striking figure, standing ready for battle with sword drawn. Joshua didn’t run, or call for help, or even try to fight. He finds himself approaching this person with a single question. He asks, "whose side are you on?" (desperately hoping he is on the side of Israel!). The man`s response is a disarming one. He states that he`s on God`s side.

I find myself challenged by those words. So often I want God to do what I want Him to do, to be on my side in every situation I`m faced with. It`s about getting God to rubber stamp my plans, to follow my ideas. Joshua saw things in stark terms – if you`re not for us you have to be against us. But God is showing Joshua that He`s looking at things the wrong way round. It has to be whether we`re on God`s side, following His plans or not. The man was declaring that God was going to do what He planned to do, and Joshua and the children of Israel had to choose to be on that side or not.

So, today I need to realign my plans, hopes and aspirations. I need to turn away from trying to get God on my side and being concerned if He isn`t or doesn`t seem to be. I need to start saying, ‘Lord I want to be on Your side in whatever situation I am facing`. I need to realise it`s not about me. It`s always about Him.

Prayer: Dear Lord, please forgive me for often trying to get You on my side; in work situations, church situations, relationships, problems and in my hopes and plans. Please show me what You`re wanting to do in every situation, and then help me, by Your Holy Spirit, to align myself that way. In doing so I know I`ll be taking Your side, and can rest in the knowledge that it`s the safest place to be. Amen.

Today's Writer : Philip Asselin
Annukka

Get Your Joy Back

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.10.2014 08:08

Get Your Joy Back

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy.”
(1 Peter 1:8, NIV)

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

If the circumstances of life have taken away your joy, today is the day to get it back. You weren’t meant to live this life feeling drained, depressed and down. God wants you to be excited about your future and learn to enjoy each and every day.

If you don’t make the conscious effort to keep your joy, year after year you’ll get more and more solemn. Not only will the enemy rob you of the joy that belongs to you, but he’ll rob your family and friends of the gift that you have to give them. When you have joy, you can use that joy to influence the people around you for good. Joy is strength, and when you have joy, you can offer strength to the people God has placed in your life.

Today, draw the line in the sand and say, “That’s it. I’m not going to live another day negative, discouraged, sour and grumpy. I’m going to put a smile on my face. I’m going to live my life happy.” Choose to hold on to joy which is your strength so you can offer strength to people everywhere you go.

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father in heaven, thank You for Your love. Thank You for choosing me and molding me into Your image. Today, I invite You to fill me with Your inexpressible, glorious joy so that I can be a blessing to the people You have placed in my life in Jesus’ name. Amen.

— Joel & Victoria Osteen
Annukka

Samuel 7:22

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.10.2014 18:20

Today's Verse for 10/15/2014

How great you are, O Sovereign Lord! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears. — 2 Samuel 7:22

Thought

"I am Yahweh, who saved you out of Egypt. You must never have any other god, but me!" The Lord God Almighty at the beginning of the Ten Commandments reminded us of this central, seminal, and consummate truth. What else is there to say?

Prayer

Holy, Righteous, and Only Living God, I hold you in the highest place in my heart. Forgive me when I do not hold you in the highest place in my life. Empower me with your Holy Spirit to give up all the little things that distract my allegiance to you and interfere with you being the Supreme and Sovereign God in my day to day life. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Annukka

The Currency of Heaven

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 16.10.2014 09:14

16 October, 2014
The Currency of Heaven

“Wealth is worthless in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death.”
Proverbs 11:4, NIV

I just love the book of Proverbs! Ever since I was a child I have enjoyed delving into the pithy wisdom of this most amazing of books. In just one sentence a whole wealth of truth can explode into your spiritual understanding, that might take a catalogue of other books or sermons to understand.

Our Scripture for today contains just one of those explosive truths that cuts right through so much religious positioning and gets to the very heart of the matter. The fact is, our time on Planet Earth is short and will one day come to an end. This morning I watched as a funeral procession went by - something that every single one of us has seen many times. And each one we see is a reminder that one day it won’t be someone else’s funeral we’ll be watching – it will be ours, and we will be the central figure in the event!

It’s a fact that whatever wealth we have when we die is only then of relevance to those who are left behind. Money can pay for a splendid funeral, but earthly wealth can buy nothing beyond the grave. So what is the currency of Heaven, when we move from time to eternity? What is it that we can take with us that will be precious and valuable in the life that is to come? In just four words our Scripture says it all – “righteousness delivers from death.” But in whose righteousness can we trust?

Jesus never sinned. His relationship with His Father was never broken. And for those of us who are in Christ, His righteousness becomes our eternal clothing. What a miracle it must be to pass through the gates of death and then experience that incredible changing room at the gates of Heaven! That amazing moment when the consequences of all our sins are replaced by that robe of righteousness in which we will be able to stand with all the redeemed and enjoy the presence of God for eternity. Or, as the old hymn puts it, “Ransomed, Healed, Restored, Forgiven!”

There is a day that all will have to face – will it be a day when, outside of Christ, we have to face the consequences of our choice? Or will it be clothed in righteousness, delivered from death, and rejoicing in our eternal inheritance? When we die we may leave behind an earthly inheritance for our family and friends, but in Christ, death is the moment when we enter fully into our eternal inheritance, paid for by the currency of Heaven – the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. Hallelujah! What a Saviour!!

Prayer: Help me, Lord, to remember that earthly wealth is of no value in eternity. Thank You, Lord, that your shed blood is the currency of Heaven and that because you died for me, I will be able to enjoy eternity with all the redeemed, clothed in your righteousness! Thank You, Jesus. Amen.

Today's Writer : Peter Horrobin
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum