tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Faith of a Child

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 30.09.2014 09:21

Faith of a Child

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”
(Matthew 18:3, NIV)

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

Think about the faith of a child. They believe whatever they are told. They have a constant expectancy in their hearts. They keep on asking for what they desire and believe they will receive it!

Scripture says that we must become like little children in our faith. What does that mean? That means we need to have complete reliance on God. We need to trust what He says. We should wake up every day with expectancy in our hearts thinking, “I can’t wait to see what God is going to do today...Today, I could get a good break...Today, I could be a blessing to someone in need.”

When you go out with the faith of a child, you stay determined no matter what happens. No matter what things look like, you know that God will be faithful to His Word. You keep asking until you get an answer, and you are filled with joy until you see it come to pass!

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father, I come to You with the faith of a child asking in faith because You are faithful. I believe and receive every good and perfect gift which comes from You in Jesus’ name. Amen.

— Joel & Victoria Osteen
Annukka

Warnings

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.10.2014 09:15

01 October, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Warnings

"But immediately Elisha, the man of God, would warn the king of Israel, “Do not go near that place, for the Arameans are planning to mobilize their troops there.”"
2 Kings 6:9, NLT

It`s imperative that we understand that God has the bigger picture at all times, and knows what`s happening in the spiritual realm even when we, mere mortals, don`t always realise what`s at stake!

Warnings, if heeded, can save us from impending disaster. Traffic lights, for instance, guide us into making the right decisions on the road, so we`re not at the mercy of traffic coming from the wrong direction. This same principle applied in other areas of our lives, will help us to make the right decisions for whatever circumstance we find ourselves in, particularly when we`re intending to take a particular course of action.

In today`s scripture, the enemies of Israel were making plans to attack, but God saved the nation each time, as the prophet gave God`s instructions to the King of Israel, who then promptly obeyed. This thwarted the enemies` plans, and as frustration set in, in the enemy camp, the prophet Elisha (and his servant) then found themselves in the line of fire. This was the time when Elisha’s servant was to learn for himself that obedience and trust in God meant God’s protection was ensured. `And (Elisha) answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha` (2 Kings 6:16-17).

It`s also important for us to understand that God has different strategies for different occasions, and He issues instructions accordingly. So it doesn`t automatically follow that the strategy for one battle will be the same for another, hence the importance of listening to what God is saying for each individual situation. Joshua learned that the instructions God gave him for the Battle of Ai were quite different from those for the battle of Jericho.

In the journey of life, God wants us to depend on Him, because His plans are always the best, and in our best interest, no matter how unusual they may seem. He can see the danger that`s ahead and knows the best strategy to adopt. So as we develop the habit of constantly checking with the Lord, He promises `I will instruct you and teach you in the way you shall go, I will guide you with my eye`. (Psalm 32:8). As long as we heed the warnings the Lord gives, in any given situation, we`ll be safe. We`ll then have the reassurance and comfort of knowing His presence with us as we journey with Him.

Proverbs 3:5-6 encourages us to `Trust in the Lord with all thy heart, and lean not on thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He will direct thy path`. Victory lies in obedience, once we`ve heard the Word of the Lord. Therein lies the secret of success. Whatever your situation today, you can be sure that your loving Heavenly Father is looking out for your welfare.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, Help us to heed the warnings You give us in life and to be obedient to Your word at all times, that You may be glorified in our lives. In Jesus` name. Amen.

Today's Writer : Patricia Lake
Annukka

The Perfect Reflection

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 02.10.2014 09:07

02 October, 2014
The Perfect Reflection

"So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord--who is the Spirit--makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image."
2 Corinthians 3:18, NLT

When Paul wrote this verse he was talking about the confidence and freedom that we have in Christ when the veil was torn, enabling us (like Moses) to see and reflect the glory of God. Unlike Moses, we don’t need to hide the glory!

My husband and I lived in the Highlands of Scotland for a few years and never grew tired of the amazing scenery, which constantly changed with the seasons and weather conditions. The Highlands have magnificent mountains, glens, beautiful beaches, picturesque lochs, rivers and forests. Being Scottish, I may be biased, but for me there are few places in the world more beautiful.

On a recent day out we travelled across to Inverness via the Moray Firth, and headed further north via the Cromarty Firth and the Dornoch Firth, cutting across some of the quieter roads with wonderful viewing points. The views were far-reaching. The sky was blue, the sun shone and the sea and lochs were like glass. The fields had been harvested and were adorned with hay bales, the heather was turning purple on the surrounding hills, the views of the forest, lochs and glens towards the coastline all added to the beautiful mix of stunning scenery. Because of the flat calm and mirror-like quaity of the water, the reflection on the water was almost a perfect mirror image of this glorious scenery. It was breathtaking.

Whilst this was an exceptional day, yet this verse promises us access to a perfect reflection every day. It is awesome to know that because of Jesus, we too can reflect the glory of the Lord and furthermore ‘we are being changed into His glorious image’. Our lives are being transformed by the Spirit as we grow in trust, obedience and faith, even if the ‘waters’ around us are troubled and the way ahead is not so clear.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank You that You have removed the veil and we can have access to You through Jesus Christ. Thank You that we can reflect Your love and glory each day and rejoice, despite all the trials and difficulties a day can bring. Help us to become more like Christ each day through the power of Your Holy Spirit transforming us. We ask it in Jesus`name and for Your glory, Amen.

Today's Writer : Gwen Thompson
Annukka

Shalom

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 03.10.2014 10:42

03 October, 2014
Shalom

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11, ESV

In English we struggle to convey the meaning of the beautiful Hebrew word shalom used in Jeremiah Chapter 29:11. Various bibles have used ‘peace’, ‘good’ ‘prosperity’, or ‘welfare’.

Jeremiah’s writing his letter to the exiles in Babylon to give them God’s message of encouragement. ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce. Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease. But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare’ (Jeremiah 29:4-7).

Many of these exiles wouldn’t live to see the return to the land of Israel, but they needed to understand there was a promise from God which would be fulfilled in the generations to come. ‘For thus says the LORD: When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will visit you, and I will fulfil to you my promise and bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the LORD, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the LORD, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile’ (Jeremiah 29:10-14).

God’s people were in exile because of turning their back on God, but they could still choose to repent and come back into close relationship with Him. His heart towards them had never stopped being full of compassion and love. He had compassion on all their frailties, wrongdoing and mistakes, and even on their rebellion against His authority. He longed to be a Father to them. His plans for them were for shalom not for evil.

Before His crucifixion, death and resurrection Jesus also spoke to His disciples of shalom, and said that it was possible for them to have it in the midst of trouble. This is shalom that comes from having a close personal relationship with Him as Lord and Saviour. ‘Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid’ (John 14:27). The Greek word eirene is used in the New Testament, but it follows the meaning of the Hebrew word ‘shalom’, and alternative English words such as ‘grace’, ‘righteousness’, ‘life’, or ‘blessing’ could have been chosen. I think of the phrase ‘fullness of life’, which Jesus said He came to bring to us (John 10:10). Jesus assures His disciples that they will be able to have ‘shalom’ even when they go through the worst times of suffering. ‘I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).

Prayer: Dear heavenly Father, we want to thank You for the promise to the exiles I Babylon so long ago. We know that Your heart towards them was full of love and compassion. You promised to bless them and give them Your shalom, right where they were, and that there was a hope for the future of things to come that would be far better. Thank You that, in Your Son Jesus, we too belong to You and can be certain that You have blessings in store for our future, and a shalom in the midst of any present trouble. Amen.

Today's Writer : Liz Griffin
Annukka

Search and Rescue Mission!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 04.10.2014 09:51

04 October, 2014
Search and Rescue Mission!

“Search me, O God, and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”
Psalm 139:23-4, NIV

None of us can look at ourselves with a totally pure and objective heart. Our motives are easily diverted from truth and reality. The natural instinct of fallen mankind is always to put a gloss on anything that’s less than savoury in our lives and pretend there’s nothing wrong! In order to really know ourselves, therefore, we need help – and what better help could we get than that which David asked the Lord for?

God will always tell us the truth, however unpalatable it may be. It takes quite a lot of courage to pray this prayer of David with a totally open heart, when we realise that there is absolutely nothing that is hidden from God. We may find out some things about ourselves, and how we relate to others, which we would rather not know about!

When, for example, we take offense over something or someone, we break relationship with whoever we think has offended us. And when we break relationship, we lose the blessings that could be ours through that particular relationship. And when we wrongfully take offense against a fellow human being, we not only break relationship with that person, but we put a barrier between ourselves and God!

No wonder the Psalmist was keen to ask the Lord to show him if there was anything in his behaviour which had its root in offense. He didn’t want to be out of fellowship with the only one who could forgive sins. So he comes before God with his whole life on an open palm, and gives God full permission to share with him anything about himself that God knows about and which needs remedial attention.

David’s prayer, which forms the scripture for today, is one of the most profound and effective prayers that anyone can pray. For if we really mean the prayer, God WILL answer it. And as we listen carefully to the things that he shows us, we have a wonderful opportunity for getting our lives back on track – not our track, but God’s – His track for our lives. I once passed a railway siding in which there were hundreds of old and rusting goods vehicles. That picture in my mind reminds me of the dangers of not praying a prayer such as this at regular intervals. None of us want to finish up in a siding, rusting away and going nowhere! God has much more for us than that. When we truly pray the “Search me” prayer, it can be the beginning of God’s “rescue mission” for our lives!

Prayer: Search me, O God, examine my heart, test my motives, show me my sins and help me to know the things I can’t see for myself, so that I might change and be led by You in the way everlasting. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Today's Writer : Peter Horrobin
Annukka

A Firm Foundation

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 05.10.2014 10:34

05 October, 2014
A Firm Foundation

"He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge."
Genesis 37:10–11, NIV

Our first house was a small cottage in the country that had been built without foundations. It was fine for most of the time, but whenever there was a drought the house tended to move as the clay soil beneath it subsided, resulting in wide cracks appearing in the walls.

Similarly our lives can appear fine on the surface until we go through times of change and difficulty, and it is in those times that cracks can occur. It is then that we are most aware of our need for a firm foundation, and it is only Jesus Christ who can provide it. The promise in this verse is ‘for our times’, which includes the difficult days of shaking and financial insecurity that we are facing now, and it includes every tough time that you will go through. How wonderful to have Jesus as our sure foundation during these times!

Our stability is in the assurance that in Jesus we have everything we need - a rich store of salvation, wisdom and knowledge. When the Bible speaks of salvation, it’s not only eternal salvation from sin and death that is referred to; it’s also healing and deliverance in whatever area of our lives we need it – spiritually, emotionally, and physically. Colossians 2:3 reminds us too that ‘in Christ are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.’ Human wisdom cannot provide answers to the world’s problems, and we are told that people are destroyed for lack of knowledge(Hosea 4:6), but in Jesus we have a rich store of both, as well as salvation. Will you come to the store today, and trust Jesus as the only sure foundation for our times?

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you that you are my sure foundation for these times and a rich store of salvation, wisdom and knowledge. Help me not to look for worldly solutions but to trust you completely and come to you for everything I need. Amen.

Today's Writer : Jilly Lyon Taylor
Annukka

More Than Enough

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 06.10.2014 09:47

06 October, 2014
More Than Enough

"When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming towards him, he said to Philip, “Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?” He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do."
John 6:5-6, NIV

As I travel around Europe, I see great need and meet many brokenhearted people, who have sad tales to tell. If I’m not careful, my heart can easily become overwhelmed when I compare my own personal inadequacy with their great need. Jesus, on the other hand, wasn’t filled with feelings of inadequacy, but rather with compassion, and out of that compassion He taught the multitudes, and healed those who needed healing. He was vitally united to his heavenly Father, and as a result of that relationship all the riches of heaven were at His disposal. Even in his human frailty and physical weariness He was still able to access `God`s much`, which was more than enough.

This really encouraged me, because there are days when my little seems even less adequate than other times. I ask, “What can i possibly give in face of such need”. I`m learning from experience that my little, plus God’s much is more than enough! What amazes me is that my little has value in the eyes of God, and it actually delights His heart when I surrender it to Him. He doesn’t despise my seemingly meagre offering, but instead says “thank you”, blesses it and adds His much to it.

I look back at these times in wonder and celebration because it`s obvious to whom all the glory, honour and praise belongs. Perhaps you`ve been holding back from God `your little`. You want to make a difference in this world, but when you look down at your meagre offering, your heart despairs and cries out “It`s not enough!” God’s challenge to you today is to surrender your little to Him and He’ll then add His much. When He does this the blind will see, the lame will walk, the brokenhearted will be healed and the captives will be set free. God`s kingdom will come and His will will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

Prayer: Father God, my heart’s cry to You is “let it be! Let it be! Let it be! in Jesus’ name”. Amen.

Today's Writer : Sue Dare
Annukka

Know His Kindness

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 06.10.2014 16:31

Know His Kindness

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“...God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance.”
(Romans 2:4, NIV)

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

In the natural, when we’ve wronged someone, sometimes it’s easier to avoid them than to face potential rejection. People unconsciously do the same thing to God. They think He’s mad at them or disappointed in them or that He is waiting to punish them because of their past sins and mistakes. But God isn’t like that. He’s not mad at you; He’s madly in love with you! He won’t reject anyone who comes to Him! He’s not waiting to punish you — Jesus already took your punishment on the cross 2,000 years ago! Now, He’s waiting for you to receive His gift of grace. He’s waiting with arms wide open today.

It doesn’t matter who you are or what you’ve done, His kindness leads us to repentance. Don’t let fear or condemnation hold you back. That’s a lie from the enemy. Turn to Him. Experience His goodness. Trust His faithfulness. He’s promised that He’ll never leave you nor forsake you. Don’t wait another minute — He is ready and waiting for you to come and know His kindness today!

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father, thank You for loving me today. Thank You for Your kindness. I come to You and let go of anything that stands in the way of You. Draw me close to You and have Your way in my heart in Jesus’ name. Amen.

— Joel & Victoria Osteen
Annukka

No One Cares as Jesus Cares

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 07.10.2014 18:44

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional October 7, 2014

No One Cares as Jesus Cares

"Oh Lord, what is man that you care for him, the son of man that you think of him?" Psalm 144:3

No one ever cared for me like Jesus

There's no other friend so kind as He;

No one else could take the sin and darkness from me --

O how much He cared for me!*[1]

Whether you are weak or strong, saintly or struggling, Jesus cares for you. I realize that you may be thinking, "Sure, Jesus cares for me in the general sense, and for the whole world, but when it comes to specifics, surely there must be others He is more interested in. After all, I can't pray out loud... I have a hard time understanding the Bible... I can't seem to shake bad habits. Yes, I know He cares but not as much as He does for more obedient types."

Not so. The Lord's care for you does not hinge on your hang-ups. His care for you has nothing to do with your baggage of personal problems. You could be a wimp when it comes to standing for the Lord, always getting distracted by everyday pressures. It doesn't matter. As a child of God, you matter. For you, dear believer, have the full force and undivided attention of eternal Love. Love that cares with no strings attached.

What other friend is there who thinks about you every moment, every second of the day and night? What other friend is so jealous for your love and affection? What other friend forgives seventy times seven, and then some? Truly, no one ever cared for you as Jesus cares!

You are always thinking of me and watching everything that concerns me. I love You, Jesus!

[1]*Weigle, Charles F., "No One Ever Cared for Me Like Jesus," The Hymnal, Word Publishing,

Waco, Texas, 1986, p. 528.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

Perseverance

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 08.10.2014 09:53

08 October, 2014
Perseverance

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
James 1:2-4, NIV

My children are on school holidays this week and I was thinking about what activity I might do with them that would be worthwhile as well as fun. My two girls have been developing their swimming skills, so I decided to book them into a swimming squad at the local pool. Watching the process of a child learning to swim over the past number of years has taught me a lot. There is so much to learn, it takes years for children to become proficient swimmers in each stroke and it requires a lot of perseverance, both on the part of the parent and the child. But once the skills are learned they stay with you for life.

Today I was once again watching my daughter Laura trying to learn to dive. For some reason this is the one skill that she struggles with. Every time she goes to dive she tries so hard, but somehow her back foot comes forwards like she is stepping into the water and her head comes up, at which point I shut my eyes. It`s just not right. The two feet need to stay together and the head needs to go down. As a parent, and a competent swimmer, my instinct is to jump on to the blocks with her and somehow save her from the struggle of learning to dive. But then Laura would never learn to dive.

When you are born again by the Spirit of God, and you begin your journey of following Jesus, it`s a little like jumping into a swimming pool for the first time. There really is so much to learn, it will take years to become a mature believer, and it will require a lot of perseverance. So, if you`ve just ‘jumped in the swimming pool’, get ready for an exciting journey. Determine in your heart to persevere and see it through to the end, whatever you face. Take it one day at a time, be around other mature Christians that can help you along the way, and allow Jesus to make you complete. You have an awesome future!

No matter how long we`ve been following Jesus there are always challenges, or trials, as the Bible puts it. What`s the purpose of these trials? James tells us in today`s scripture. The testing of our faith will develop perseverance! It`s perseverance that will help us to become mature and complete, not lacking anything. So often when we face trials we want to be ‘saved’ from them. We pray for God to take them away, or we ask our family and friends to pray and ask God to take it away. And sometimes it just doesn`t go away. Our faith can get tested to the very edge. If you`re facing such a trial today, and your faith is being tested - rejoice! Yes, rejoice! The Lord`s developing perseverance in you that`s going to make you mature and complete, so you`ll lack nothing!

I can’t wait for the day that Laura can dive. But the struggles will make the accomplishment of it all the more wonderful. So today in the midst of your trials and struggles, where your faith is being tested, consider it pure joy. You`ll come through this. Let Jesus develop perseverance in you and make you mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Prayer: Dear Jesus, to be totally honest with You I don`t find it pure joy when I face trials and struggles. It`s really hard. But I now understand why You test my faith with such trials - You want to develop perseverance in me so I`ll be mature and complete, not lacking anything. Please let this amazing truth penetrate my heart today and change the attitude I have towards the difficult things that I`m facing today. I can now say that do I consider it pure joy to face these trials because I understand what You`re doing, and that it`s for my highest good. Thank You, Jesus. Amen.

Today's Writer : Lynda Scott
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum