tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Psalm 3:8

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.12.2013 18:49

Today's Verse for 12/09/2013

From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people. — Psalm 3:8

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

Deliverance does come from the LORD, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, our Father. So we ask him to bless us with his richest and greatest blessings. But, he has already given his people the very greatest blessing, the gift of his Son. Now if we will only acknowlege and appreciate that blessing.

Prayer

Thank you, O God, for the salvation you have given me in Jesus. Use me to spread this blessing to others so that the people I know and love will come to know your Son as their Savior and Lord. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

Revealed to Shepherds, Hidden from Herod

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.12.2013 18:49

Revealed to Shepherds, Hidden from Herod

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.” Luke 2:15

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
What is the great need in the world today? Is it information? We’re drowning in a sea of information. If information is what we need, God would have sent an educator. Is it technology? If technology had been the need, God would have sent a scientist. Is it money? Do you think your problems would be solved if you had more money? If money were the need, God would have sent an economist. Is the need more leisure? Maybe God should have sent an entertainer.

No. Our great need is salvation. And so God sent a Savior.

I’m amazed (and blessed) that He sent the message to humble shepherds. Old Herod, the King, never did quite get it. He never did understand. But humble shepherds understood the message. Why? Because “God has hidden these things from the wise and the prudent and has revealed them unto babes.” (Luke 10:21)

ACTION POINT:
Do you want to understand who Jesus Christ is today? Then lay your intellectual pride in the dust, come to Him and say, “Lord, reveal this truth to me.” Sing it and follow it: “O come let us adore Him, Christ the LORD.”

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message

FacebookTwitter
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Behavior Modification

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.12.2013 18:52

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional December 9, 2013

Behavior Modification

"'Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!'? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence." Colossians 2:21-23

Yesterday we learned about gaining through losing. But how do we become skilled in this kind of "subtraction?" How do we match our hearts with our circumstances? By feeding the mind and the heart on those things that bring contentment rather than arouse desire! I'm talking about rule-keeping such as, "Don't touch this" or "Stay away from that!" Rules only lead to the arousal of cravings. I'm talking about common sense.

For instance, I can't exercise like most people and so I have to watch my calories more closely. It's critical to my health in this wheelchair. Yet I love Gelson's Supermarket's blueberry muffins. This means I studiously avoid the bakery counter at Gelson's. It's hard, but I stay away from it because I don't want to feed my cravings. I don't want to stimulate my desires by the sense of smell or the sight of those delicious muffins. I don't keep hard and fast rules about avoiding that corner of the market; it's more like behavior modification. If I don't want to get myself in trouble, then I stay away from things that cause trouble.

Contentment results when you give up one thing for another. It means sacrificing itchy cravings to gain a settled soul. Gaining contentment does not mean "no more discomfort." First Timothy 6:6 says that godliness with contentment is great gain, but the gain always comes through loss. No, I can't enjoy the luxury of those muffins, but that's okay; the sacrifice is worth my health.

Your desire may not be for blueberry muffins. It may be for a husband or a different living situation. Today, feed your mind and heart on those things that bring contentment rather than arouse desire. When you do, you are "...sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything" (2 Corinthians 6:10).

I want you, Lord, to be at the center of my desires. I feed my mind and heart on You today. With You, I am content.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

Unforgettable!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.12.2013 19:15

09 December, 2013
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Unforgettable!

“Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See I have engraved you on the palms of my hands”
Isaiah 49: 15 & 16

When we first moved to Florida 8 years ago we bought a new trash can for the kitchen. Because the bin was going to sit in the middle of our kitchen for the foreseeable future we chose the nicest one we could find with a great swinging lid. Around the same time our eldest son, Jacob, was given a pen knife for his birthday. One day, when dropping something into my new trash can, I noticed that on the lid, carved right in the centre in large print, were the letters B J T. When you consider our middle son is called Benjamin Taylor, with the middle name initial “J”, it didn’t take the greatest detective to track down the culprit! Apparently, at just 5 years old, Ben had wanted to test out just how cool his brother’s new penknife was! It was never a priority to replace the trash can and so to this day Ben’s initials sit on the bin reminding me of him each time I see it.

God says in today’s Scripture that He has written our name on the palm of His hand! In other translations it says “engraved” “inscribed” or “indelibly imprinted (tattooed)”. Ponder that for even just a moment… Almighty God, Creator of all things, Mighty Savior and Holy King of Kings, has your name not just written in washable Crayola on His hand – but permanently engraved, inscribed and indelibly imprinted on the palm of His hand! That is incredible!

So often our picture of God is different to the truth of who He is. The Bible reminds us in Ephesians 3 just how little we know of the extent of His love and care for us. “May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully.” (Eph 3 v 19. Without even realizing it, we can be living life coping with very limited understanding of the God we serve, or even with wrong beliefs about who He is and what He is like. Maybe through experiences of life we have come to see God as cold or distant, not particularly interested in the struggles of our heart and just a little impatient waiting for us to get better. We don’t know Him as the kind Father that He is with gentleness, mercy, patience and tenderness entwined in His heart for you and I.

God’s written your name on the palm of His hand and He promises He will never ever forget you. He will never let you go. No matter what it may feel like in the midst of our struggles and the busyness of life, we are not alone. We have not been overlooked, abandoned or forgotten by Him – and He promises to never do so. You are not second best, hiding in the back or in anyone else’s shadow in God’s eyes. He sees you. God knows you. He accepts you. He values YOU enough to engrave your name on His palm and He won’t ever let you go!

Prayer: Lord Jesus, how little I truly know of who you are and the full extent of your love for me. Father please forgive me for the times I hold you at a distance or I think I know you but have misjudged you because of other’s treatment of me or their behavior. Lord please show me something fresh of your love for me today and let me hold tightly in my heart this truth that you have my name – ME – engraved in the palm of your hand. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Today's Writer : Cath Taylor
Annukka

God’s Gifts

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.12.2013 09:48

God’s Gifts

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.”
(Romans 11:29, NIV)

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

No matter where you’ve been, no matter what you’ve done, realize today that your destiny supersedes your mistakes. When God designed the plan for your life, it wasn’t dependent on you being perfect, never making a mistake or never taking a wrong turn. No, God knew we would all make mistakes. He knows how to get you back on track no matter where you are in life. Just like there are many routes on a map, God has a plan to help you reach your destination. He has detours, shortcuts and bypasses. He has already calculated the entire route for your life.

Today, if you’re feeling like you’ve blown it, if you feel like you are too old, too far gone or too far off track, know that nothing you’ve done, no mistake that you’ve made — or ever will make — is a surprise to God. He’s already got it figured out. He’s arranged a comeback for every setback! He has grace for every weakness. He has mercy for every failure. His gifts are irrevocable, so rise up in faith and receive the good things He has in store for you!

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father, thank You for the gifts and talents You’ve given me. Thank You for keeping me on track and ordering my steps. Keep me close to You always as I set my love on You in Jesus’ name. Amen.

— Joel & Victoria Osteen
Annukka

John 3:16

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.12.2013 18:25

Today's Verse for 12/10/2013

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. — John 3:16

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

What else is there to say, other than "Praise God!" and "Thank you Jesus!"

Prayer

Thank you for loving me with an everlasting love, dear Father. I love you, too, and look forward to sharing the biggest part of my life with you in your presence. In Jesus' name. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

The Wonder in His Name

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.12.2013 18:27

The Wonder in His Name

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“…and his name shall be called Wonderful…” Isaiah 9:6

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
What is in the name of the Lord Jesus? There is wonder in His name. Do you stand in awe of the Lord Jesus Christ? Or have you become oblivious? Do you not get excited when you think of Jesus? If you don’t, you’ve lost the wonder. You have calluses on your soul.

Oh friend, Jesus is wonderful. Wonderful in His birth. Wonderful in His life. Wonderful in His teaching. Wonderful in His miracles. Wonderful in His death. Wonderful in His resurrection. And yes, wonderful in His second coming. His name is wonderful.

I heard of a man riding on a train one time, looking out the window. He was saying, “Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful”. And the man sitting next to him asked, “Why do you think everything is wonderful?” He said, “I’ve been blind and I’ve just had surgery and I’m seeing things that I had long since forgotten how beautiful they are. And they are wonderful to me.”

ACTION POINT:
Friend, if Jesus is not wonderful to you, open your spiritual eyes. See just how wonderful Jesus is. There is wonder in His name.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message

FacebookTwitter
Annukka

No Regrets

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.12.2013 18:29

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional December 10, 2013

No Regrets

"Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret."

2 Corinthians 7:10

Why does our salvation leave no regrets? Well, to be saved means to realize your low estate before a holy God (that's what godly sorrow is all about). And when you realize how "low" you are, your worldly expectations can't help but be scaled back, much like the prodigal son who said to his father, "I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men" (see Luke 15:21).

I would say it this way, "I would rather be in this chair knowing him, than on my feet without him." I have no regrets. Absolutely none. Everything else, everything worldly pales in comparison.

When you see yourself as among the least, the last, the littlest and the lost, God becomes everything. You find yourself drawn nearer to him by the smallest of enjoyments. An hour of listening to Bach reminds you of God. So does sitting under a tree on a blustery day. You peel an onion only to stop and marvel at the beauty of its concentric rings. Everything reminds you of the Lord. First Corinthians 3:21-23 says it best: "So then... all things are yours... the world or life or death or the present or the future - all are yours, and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God."

Godly sorrow leads to repentance which, in turn, leads to salvation and, thus, no regrets. Do you want to know contentment in Christ, pure and deep? Would you like to have no regrets? No itchy "if only's?" See yourself as the prodigal, not worthy to be called a child of God... and all things will be yours for "you are of Christ and Christ is of God."

I want You, Lord, to be everything to me. Give me that godly sorrow that leads to repentance and, thus, no regrets.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

I wish I’d taken notes!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.12.2013 18:30

10 December, 2013
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
I wish I’d taken notes!

"But the Counsellor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."
John 14:26, NIV

Have you ever had the experience of being alongside someone in a supporting role, but then finding out that the buck now stops with you? That’s normally the moment where you wish you’d taken detailed notes on what the other person did.

Imagine how the disciples felt. They had the incredible adventure of walking with Jesus for three years and seeing him perform one amazing miracle after another. Then the bomb drops and they realize that Jesus is going back to heaven, leaving them in charge. Can you imagine the scene of panic as they all look at each other hoping that someone in the group took good notes of all that Jesus said! I imagine all eyes on Doctor Luke.

What comfort Jesus’ words must have been in John 14 where it says that the fullness of God would come to them through the Holy Spirit who would not only teach them all things, but would even remind them of everything Jesus had said to them.

It’s easy for us to feel jealous of the disciples because they got to live, walk and listen to Jesus for three years but the fact is that the very same Holy Spirit that reminded them of all the things Jesus told them is living within you.

Don’t worry about how great your memory is. Don’t get stressed if you don’t remember every helpful piece of advice or great point from a sermon. Be comforted by the fact that the Holy Spirit of God is living within you and is wanting to converse with you in the same way that Jesus did with His disciples on a day-by-day, minute-by-minute basis.

Prayer: Thank you Lord for the gift of your Holy Spirit. Help me to trust that He will remind me of the things that are important, as I learn to listen to His voice in my daily walk with You. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Today's Writer : Andy Taylor
Annukka

The Wisdom in His Name

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.12.2013 20:21

The Wisdom in His Name

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.” 1 Corinthians 1:24

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Do you need a counselor sometimes? People come to pastors and counselors for wisdom. We can counsel from Scripture, but we can’t solve their problems.

We can try to lead them to the One who can solve their problems, the Lord Jesus Christ. I don’t want them dependent upon me. I want them to know Jesus. He is the Counselor. There is wisdom in His name. “He is made unto us,” Paul says in 1 Corinthians1:30, “wisdom and righteousness and sanctification and redemption.”

ACTION POINT:
Are you going through a problem right now? You don’t know the way out. You don’t what to do. Every answer seems wrong. I want to recommend my counselor to you. Call upon the true Counselor. His name is Jesus. Not only is there wonder in His name. Friend, there is wisdom in His name.

FacebookTwitter
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum