tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Psalm 42:8

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.08.2014 13:40

Today's Verse for 08/21/2014

By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me — a prayer to the God of my life. — Psalm 42:8

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

I have always loved music. To this day, songs help unlock the part of me that is most yielded to God. It helps me declare my love for him and my praise to him. But as the psalmist says, at night, especially on those nights when sleep is hard to come by, his song is with me.

Prayer

O God of my life, thank you for music and song. Thank you for giving me so many good things to sing joyfully about. Thank you for hearing my heart when I sing and not just my words and the song's melody. I long, dear Father, for the day I get to hear you sing and I join the heavenly chorus around your throne. Until then, fill my life with your song. Through Jesus' name I ask it. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

Peace, Be Still

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.08.2014 16:20

Peace, Be Still
BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Keep me as the apple of the eye…hide me under the shadow of Thy wings.” Psalm 17:8

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Charles Wesley was walking through the woods on a stormy day when a lightning storm broke out and the rain began to come down in torrents. A bolt of lightning flashed, and a little bird was so frightened that it flew down to Wesley and it tried to hide in his coat.

He was so moved by the scene that he wrote a song we often sing: “Jesus, lover of my soul, let me to Thy bosom fly, while the nearer waters roll, while the tempest still is high. Hide me, O my Savior, hide, ‘til the storm of life is past; safe unto the haven guide me, O receive my soul at last.” That’s what our Lord does. He hides us, sustains us, and keeps us.

ACTION POINT:
Are the storms of life raging around you? Hide yourself in the dark clouds—they are just the shadow of His wing.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message
facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

God`s Love Versus Our Human Love

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.08.2014 10:04

23 August, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
God`s Love Versus Our Human Love

"He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!]"
Hebrews 13 5b, Amplified Bible

I was reading a book recently where the author was chastising his readers for lack of faith and turning away from God when life gets hard. I found myself wanting to jump to their (and my own) defence. It may be all very well for this person who says we have to choose to trust and not doubt, but many of us have grown up with conditional love. So if God’s blessings seem to have been withdrawn, or He seems far away, then we think we`ve offended Him and He doesn`t love us anymore.

The other problem with this is the ridiculously inadequate words we have to express love in English. We say we love football, pizza, the latest new film by our favourite actor, those shoes, that dress, our spouse, our children, the dog and God. We use the same word.
I’d been a Christian for many years struggling with really knowing God loved me, battling with lack of trust in difficult times and situations. I was often trying to sort out my own problems so God and I could be ‘OK’ again.

It was when I discovered the Hebrew word for love, chesed, used many times in the Bible, that I began to understand. The word is translated differently in different situations. It’s translated as loving kindness, or steadfast love, or unfailing love, but sometimes as mercy, or even loyalty, but the most important thing for me was to understand the Covenant nature of this love of God. God had made a Covenant promise that He would never stop loving us, no matter what. That’s why I chose to look at today’s text in the Amplified Bible, because it seems to express quite well the meaning of the Covenant promise God’s made to us.

Of course we need to go on teaching, encouraging, writing, and reading about God’s great love and faithfulness. But what we really need is the Holy Spirit to give us the revelation of it. Let’s pray for that now.

Prayer: Dear Father, thank You for Your great love for us. Thank You that You sent Jesus to demonstrate that love to us and to seal the Covenant Promise with His own blood. Please forgive us that we’ve so often doubted Your love and faithfulness to us, and please reveal the unfailing nature of Your love, by the power of Your Holy Spirit. Amen.

Today's Writer : Dotty Cockcroft
Annukka

A Gift from God

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.08.2014 08:11

A Gift from God

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God.”
(Ephesians 2:8, NKJV)

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

We serve such a generous and loving God. He loves you so much that there isn’t anything He wouldn’t do in order to have a relationship with you. The Bible tells us that sin separates man from God, but God doesn’t want to be separated from any of us. That’s why He sent Jesus into the world — to pay the penalty for sin so that we could live in eternity with Him.

So many people today think they have to earn their way to heaven. They think they have to be “good enough” or “do the right thing” in order to be accepted by God. They want to “clean up” before they come to Him. But notice what today’s verse says — salvation is a gift from God. You can’t earn a gift. You don’t pay for it. You can only receive it by faith and say thank You. If you’ve never received Jesus as the Lord of your life, there’s no better time to receive this free gift. Let Him fill you with His peace and joy both now and throughout eternity.

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father, I come to You today giving You all that I am. Thank You for the gift of salvation through Your Son. Jesus, I believe You died and rose for me, and I invite You now to be the Lord of every area of my life in Jesus’ name. Amen.

— Joel & Victoria Osteen
Annukka

Passivity

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 25.08.2014 09:50

25 August, 2014
Passivity

"Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."
1 Peter 5:8, NAS

Passivity can be described as lethargy of will or a suppression of emotional responses to the circumstances of life. Passivity is an enemy of true peace. It often hides in the dark what should be resolved in the light. For many people, wounded by issues in the past, passivity has become a way of life to avoid facing further emotional pain in today’s difficult situations. However, this defence mechanism, while sometimes making the person seem very submissive and calm, often hides the truth of unresolved inner distress.

God’s order is that we would be able to respond with emotional reality to the events of life, bringing to Him the difficult choices and the hurts, to be restored to a place of true peace through confession of our own sin, and the forgiveness of those who have hurt us. Jesus demonstrated the perfect combination of alertness and peace.

Passivity may result from the side effects of medication, in which case it’s good to seek the Lord for alertness in the spirit. It can also be a family trait, or a learnt behaviour from parents in how to deal with life. But passivity is destructive to relationships, because rightful emotional response is an important aspect of human communication.

Passivity can also be a powerful barrier to true intimacy with God. Many religious practices actually promote passivity, while saying that they’re providing a way to peace or serenity. Many forms of meditation, for example, dull people’s spiritual and emotional responses to the truth of God, while opening doors to the lies of the enemy.

It’s important that followers of Jesus actively choose submission to the Prince of Peace, not giving any opportunity to a spirit of passivity, through lethargy of mind, will or emotions.

Prayer: Father, it’s my desire to fully reflect the alertness and the peace of Jesus, as I face, each day, the challenges of life. Thank You for helping me. Amen.

Today's Writer : David Cross
Annukka

The God of Israel, Your Rear Guard

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 26.08.2014 10:19

26 August, 2014
The God of Israel, Your Rear Guard

"The Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel will be your rear guard."
Isaiah 52:12, ESV

After having dealt with some deep issues in my past life, and having walked through a process of forgiveness, healing and restoration the Lord spoke to me through this scripture, telling me that He is closing the doors behind me and that He will be the rear guard behind me, the rear guard between me and my past, between me and everything that has happened in my past, but also between me and everything coming down the generational line.

And this is true for each and every one of us. It doesn`t matter what`s happened to us, or what we`ve done. When we`ve dealt with the issues of our past in a godly way, the Lord Himself will be our rear guard, our place of safety, and a secure rock between us and our past. Then our past can no longer define or influence our present and our future.

Once I heard somebody saying, “My past abuse is not my future excuse.” Sadly for many people their past, with all the wounds and hurts, but also the iniquity coming down the generational line, is still their excuse for many things. it`s their excuse for what`s going wrong in their life today and for what they allow to control their future.

But when we deal with our past, and the generational iniquity coming down our family lines, we allow the Lord to become our rear guard. Our present, as well as our future, will change.

This scripture also tells us that the Lord will go before us. He Himself will guide us and open doors to the future and the destiny He`s provided for us. The enemy loves to destroy, influence our lives and keep us bound by our past. But he`s also trying to keep us away from the future and destiny the Lord`s planned for our lives.

When the Lord promises to go before us, then He`ll surely do this. But are we willing to follow Him on this path, or are we choosing a different way?

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, I thank You that my past has been covered with the precious blood of Your son, Jesus. I ask You now to become the rear guard between me and everything that`s happened to me in the past. And I choose to trust You to lead me into the future, and the destiny You`ve planned for my life. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Today's Writer : Mechthild Walz
Annukka

Head or Heart?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.08.2014 09:38

27 August, 2014
Head or Heart?

"Knowing, brethren beloved by God, His choice of you: for our gospel did not come to you word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction; just as you know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake."
1 Thessalonians 1:4-5, NIV

I was asked recently why some people seem to grasp the truth quite easily whilst others seem unable to grasp it. And out of that question came another question about why some people are really able to walk the healing journey whilst others find it so very hard. In the rather lengthy conversation that followed we discussed many possible reasons why this may be so. But it was when I was alone with my thoughts that today’s verse came to mind and I realised the simplicity of the answer.

We live in a world that almost forces us to understand everything with our head and act on fact, rather than instinct. Information comes to us at an extremely fast rate, and we spend millions of pounds trying to understand how the universe works, and how the people in it function.

We grow up with a conditioning that, if we don`t understand it with our minds, then it can’t be real or true. Unfortunately this doesn`t just affect the way we receive what the world tells us, but it also affects how we receive the truth of God. Our mind becomes the filter for the human spirit.

I know for myself there`ve been many times when I`ve tried to understand with my mind what I can only really understand with my spirit. So often I`ve been told to stop `mind mangling` as I`ve tried to work it all out, rather than just allow God in.

The Thessalonians didn`t hear the truth with their minds, `our gospel didn`t come to you in word only`. They didn`t hear the word with their ears, think it through, discuss it, and then decide to believe. No the gospel came to them `in power and in the Holy Spirit`. They received it in their human spirit. They didn`t come under any condemnation, which so often happens when we hear with our mind. Instead they came into true conviction, with the Holy Spirit to human spirit communication of the truth.

This is the place of real and solid understanding. It not only brings real change in our lives, but it also reflects the truth into our whole being. The knowing of the truth doesn`t come from our minds, but from our spirits. You know it in your `knower`.

So may be you`re one of those people who feels stuck, and doesn`t seem to really move forward. Perhaps you spend much time reading and studying the word of God, but you don`t really understand it. You may even spend much time and energy on trying to work out the issues you face in your life. If so today is the day to start allowing Him to speak to your spirit, rather than work it all out in your mind!

Prayer: Father God, I realise today that I’ve used my mind to try to understand and hear the truth, and that so often my mind gets in the way of really hearing from You. Father, I choose today to open up my spirit to You, so I may hear You, not only in Word, but in power through Your Holy Spirit. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Today's Writer : Mary-Lou Gregoire
Annukka

The Gift of Choice

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.08.2014 09:23

28 August, 2014
The Gift of Choice

"But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose you for yourselves this day whom you will serve…But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."
Joshua 24:15, NIV

I’ll never cease to be amazed at the God I serve. This God is the creator of everything that exists. He created it all merely by the word of His mouth. He hung the stars in space and placed the planets in orbit. In the heavens He’s pitched a tent for the sun (Psalm 19:4). His understanding has no limit, and His ways are far higher than our ways. He measured the waters of the earth in the hollow of His hand, and with the breadth of his hand He marked off the heavens (Isaiah 40:12-13). The mountains melt like wax at His presence (Psalm 97:5)!

The amazing thing is that this magnificent God created man in His own image and then gave man the ability to either choose Him or reject Him! This makes us different from any of God’s creation. God meant for us to be in relationship with Him and to get to know His nature and His love for us. The Word tells us that He already chose us before the creation of the world. And yet, He gave us a unique gift, the gift of choice.

This has been rather unsettling for me at times to understand. I have two children who are both young adults. For most of their life my husband and I have been able to love them, nurture them and gently shaped their outlook on life, by training them up in the way they should go. We gave them opportunity to practise making choices and mistakes within the safe environment of our home.

As they’ve grown and matured we had to release them to enjoy for themselves certain life experiences as adults. It’s been scary at times as we watched them facing life choices that will affect their future, and especially when these choices seemed unwise from our perspective. The greatest lesson for me has been to truly trust God with the bigger picture. We see only in part, whereas He sees the end from the beginning, and nothing catches Him by surprise.

God’s a perfect Father to His children. He doesn’t manipulate our choices and control each step we take. Instead He loves us and draws us to Himself with compassion and grace, and shows unending mercy when we fail to choose wisely. He knows each of us by name and He knows best how to get our attention when we veer off His path. He’s so gracious and kind, and His kindness and love inspires and encourages us to choose His ways over our own ways and those of the world. What a wonderful and gracious gift God given us – the gift of choice!

Prayer: Lord, You’re so amazing and gracious towards us as Your children! Thank You so much for the gift of choice. Help us to use this wonderful gift wisely and to believe that Your ways are always kind and just, drawing us towards Your love. Amen.

Today's Writer : Christel Baxter
Annukka

Fidelity, a Multi-Faceted Trait of Character

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.08.2014 13:07

Fidelity, a Multi-Faceted Trait of Character

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.” Hebrews 13:4

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
I’m continually amazed at the apathetic responses to surveys where people are asked, “Does it make any difference to you whether a candidate is faithful to his wife or not?” Or, “Would you vote for a man that was unfaithful to his wife?” And they say, “It doesn’t matter.”

Well, friend, it makes a difference to me. And more importantly, it makes a difference to God. When couples break solemn vows—unless they repent with every ounce of their hearts—trust is broken. Put it down big, straight, and plain: People who treat sex lightly will treat other people lightly.

ACTION POINT:
Are you married? Find some time today to express to your spouse your love and faithful commitment to him or her.

facebook.pngtwitter.png
Annukka

Imputing Righteousness to Your Account

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 30.08.2014 19:34

Imputing Righteousness to Your Account

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works.” Romans 4:6

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
God imputes righteousness to you through His Son. What does “impute” mean? To put on your account. At the moment you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, God makes you righteous. Romans 4:8 says, “Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.” A woman was asked one day what it felt like to be saved and she replied, “It feels as though I am standing in Jesus’ shoes and He is standing in mine.” A scholar or theologian couldn’t have said it any better.

“For He hath made Him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

ACTION POINT:
Thank God that though you are a sinner, He doesn’t impute it to you, and though you are not righteous, He imputes—puts into your account— that to you!

facebook.pngtwitter.png
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum