tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

What Do You Wear Around Your Neck?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.08.2014 10:42

01 August, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
What Do You Wear Around Your Neck?

"My son, keep your father`s commandments, and do not forsake the law of your mother; bind them upon your heart forever, tie them around your neck."
Proverbs 6:20-21, NIV

I read this verse recently and couldn`t help but wonder what the writer was really trying to imply when he said to tie our parents` commands and laws round our neck? Surely he wasn`t requiring us to have phylacteries (little boxes containing scripture) physically tied around our throats?

As I pondered this several thoughts came to me.

The first thought was that what people wear round their necks often shows they have been given some authority by a higher authority. A bank clerk or an airport official has a swipe card round his neck showing that they have been given privileged access. The local Mayor wears his mayoral chain to show his appointment to office and the referee has his all-important whistle to declare his rightful control over the match.

I’ve noticed that sometimes what people wear round their neck may give a glimpse into their inner priorities. Some people wear a love token around their neck; a locket, heart or past present which signifies a special bond with someone that means a lot to them. Their heart is yielded to another person in love. Many Christians wear a cross; a symbol of their personal surrender to the authority of Jesus their Saviour and Redeemer.

Then I thought that what was around your neck could also steal your life. If there was rope round your neck it could be used to choke you and has the capability to steal your life. The person holding that rope would certainly have authority over you.

So I think perhaps the writer of the Proverb is saying that we need to make God’s commandments and laws (after all He is our spiritual Father and Mother) the clear authority we come under so that they will signify our status as sons with full access to our Father, they will show our right priorities and confirm that because of our love we surrender to His love.

Prayer: Lord, I want to live under the authority of Your commandments and laws and wear them around my spiritual neck to show that I am yielding to Your love. Show me today what else I may be wearing that demonstrates that I am under another authority, or that I have wrong priorities, or indicates that my life is surrendered to a potentially destructive authority. I ask this in Jesus’ mighty name. Amen.

Today's Writer : Denise Cross
Annukka

God Fulfills His Purpose

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 02.08.2014 20:55

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional August 2, 2014

God Fulfills His Purpose

"I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills his purpose for me. He sends from heaven and saves me, rebuking those who hotly pursue me; God sends his love and his faithfulness." Psalm 57: 2-3

Perhaps long ago when you first believed in Christ you may have heard those familiar words, "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life." That brand-new thought warmed your heart, didn't it? You excitedly embarked on your spiritual journey, pleased and comforted to know that God has a unique and special plan just for you.

But perhaps those days when you first believed are long ago and far away. You've gotten sidetracked, your attention diverted. If so, let me ask you: Do you still believe God has a wonderful plan for your life? If not, let Psalm 57 jar your memory. Find assurance in the first few verses.

God will fulfill His purpose for you. He'll do it for you because He keeps His promise. He'll fulfill His plan in you by creating in you the image of His Son. Also, God will fulfill His plan through you as you touch others with His love and faithfulness.

Nothing ever thwarts the purpose of God. Nothing can ruin His plan. If you are trusting Him, then God's plan for you is progressing right on schedule, full speed ahead.

God Most High, I praise You that You always fulfill Your purpose. You are glorified in that You always keep Your promises. You never fail to send help from heaven and You are faithful in giving Your love and strength. I want to get in line with Your will and say "yes" to Your plan for my life.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

Help From the Lord

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 03.08.2014 09:09

03 August, 2014
Help From the Lord

"My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:2, NIV

Having asked the question ‘Where does my help come from?’ in the first verse of Psalm 121 the psalmist then proceeds to provide his own answer by acknowledging the fact that the Lord is the source of his help. The psalmist then continues in the subsequent verses to explain how the Maker of heaven and earth is not only his source of help but a source of strength, shelter, security, supply and safety.

That source of help is still available today. The question for us is how do we appropriate it? It isn’t a case of just saying the right words, or praying the right prayers, reading the right books, or attending the right conferences, although all these can have their place in our walk with the Lord.

In fact initially we don’t have to DO anything. It’s a matter of heart attitude.

In a section of Isaiah headed ‘All show, no substance’ (The Message) God remonstrates with His people for their rebellion to Him and His word. He warns them of the consequences of their behaviour but as is so often the case with our merciful God, provides them with an opportunity to change, when He declares ‘In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength’ (Isaiah 30:15).

Yes, the Lord is our help but to fully receive that help we first have to turn to Him, acknowledge our need of Him, confess our shortcomings, and rest, (not wrestle to prove ourselves or gain acceptance in Him). From this place of quiet assurance in our relationship with Him we shall experience a deeper trust in Him and receive the strength that we need to serve Him and walk the walk with Him.

In the hustle and bustle and noise of the 21st century perhaps we don’t experience those times of rest and quietness as often as we should.

‘There is a place of quiet rest,
Near to the heart of God
A place where sin cannot molest,
Near to the heart of God’.(Cleland B McAfee)

Prayer: Lord, forgive me for not spending as much time with You as I should. Help me to make more time to fully appreciate the peace of Your presence and from that place go out in Your strength to accomplish all that You ask of me. Amen.

Today's Writer : Malcolm Wood
Annukka

Transformed

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 04.08.2014 10:39

04 August, 2014
Transformed

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."
Galatians 5:22-23, NIV

I can’t help but admire the fellowship Moses had with God, His encounters with God were not just about the nation of Israel. I believe he benefited greatly as He spent time in God’s presence. The more He spent time in the glory of God, the more transformation happened to Him. He was transformed from being a murderer, and also a fearful and insecure person, into being a leader of a great and mighty nation. I believe that His time in God’s presence made a great deal of a difference in his personal character. The more you spend time with someone, the more you know them and learn to become like them.

Jesus knew that the time He spent with the disciples changed them. Every word He spoke, every action, every miracle was an opportunity of investing something of Himself into them. Then the time came when He asked them to go out into the world and do what He did (Matthew 10).

When we spend time in the presence of God we become more and more like Him. How we talk, how we react to situations and how we relate to others begins to reflect Him. When Moses went up the mountain to talk with the God, everyone was able to see the physical change in him. They couldn’t look at his face.

Joshua went into the tent of meeting and stayed there. We’re not told if he was praying, or just basking in the presence of God’s glory, but we see him change into being a leader who brought change and influence to the nation of Israel. Daniel regularly had times of fellowship with God, and when difficulty came God manifested His miracle, causing a whole nation to turn to the one, true and living, God.

The presence of God transforms us. When we spend time with Him, we begin to know His heart beat and His will. The Holy Spirit reveals the heart of the Father to us. We get drawn into Him; His will His purposes and His passion.

Jesus said ‘I and the Father are one’. His desire is that we may be one with Him, that we may even feel what He feels. I believe that as we’re baptised in His love and His Holy Spirit we begin to bear fruit. The fruit of the Holy Spirit is birthed from the very character of God. This all comes from His character, and who He is becomes transferred into us.
’But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law’ (Galatians 5:22-23).

Prayer: Lord, help me to be changed into Your likeness, to be more like You in my character and actions. Teach me to dwell in Your presence daily, and to be transformed more and more into who You have purposed and designed me to be, Your child. Amen.

Today's Writer : Joan Rono
Annukka

How Do We Get Wisdom?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 05.08.2014 11:02

05 August, 2014
How Do We Get Wisdom?

"My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God."
Proverbs 2:1-5, ESV

God’s compassion and unfailing love reaches out to each one of us. There’s so much He wants to give to us; sound wisdom and understanding, knowledge of His heart, a shield of protection, and deliverance from evil. We can be blessed beyond our imagination, but it all depends on one thing. We have to be hungry for God. We have to receive His words to us and treasure them. We have to be hunting for those words as if they are buried treasure.

In Romans Chapter 4 Paul writes about Abraham. He received God’s words, believed in them and came into great blessings. He became righteous in God’s eyes. ‘For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness” (Romans 4:3). ‘No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised’ (Romans 4:20-21). In the same way, Paul explains, we will become righteous In God’s eyes through believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, His death and His resurrection.

How does God speak to you? Is it through the words written in the Bible? Or is it through the Holy Spirit giving you impressions of what He’s saying to you? Is it through what you see in nature, that strange ‘co-incidence’ that just happened, the words spoken in a sermon in church, or the words written in a devotional?

Once God has spoken to you, receive His words and treasure them. Value them like precious gold, silver or jewels. Keep them safe in your heart and enjoy them. That way you will ‘understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God’. There’s nothing more valuable than that. Sadly many don’t realize it until it’s too late and they’ve become ensnared in the devil’s trap. What seemed to offer so much pleasure and fun turns out to be a road to destruction.

And yet there is always the hope of redemption and the opportunity to make a new start. You can find the way back to God and seek after His Kingdom. You can then ‘call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding’. How happy God is to give us the gift of His wisdom, understanding and knowledge.

Prayer: Dear heavenly Father, please give me the gift of wisdom that comes from Your heart of love and compassion. May I receive and treasure all Your words. I want to find the hidden treasure of Your blessings. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Today's Writer : Liz Griffin
Annukka

Peace in the Midst of the Storm

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 05.08.2014 22:57

Peace in the Midst of the Storm

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.” Colossians 3:15

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
In Florida where I was raised, we had a lot of hurricanes. Even as a child I learned that in the center of the worst hurricane, there’s a calm called the “eye” of the storm. When the storm passes over, there is a calm like a mill pond on a summer evening.

Friend, in your storm today there is a center that is calm. It’s the heart of God. He is there. He is the “I AM” in the midst of your storm.

As someone has well said, “God gives peace that the world can’t take away.” It is supernatural peace.

ACTION POINT:
Do you have the peace of God in your heart? Claim the promise of Psalm 29:11, Isaiah 26:3, and Romans 5:1 today.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message
facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

God, You Owe Me!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 06.08.2014 09:21

06 August, 2014
God, You Owe Me!

"But he answered his father, "Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends"."
Luke 15:29, NIV

The parable of the Prodigal Son is so full of meaning that the more we look at it the more is revealed about God’s love for us. Just recently I found myself looking again at the attitude of the elder brother. On one level he`s the epitome of the self-righteous religious people of Jesus` time. But, on another level he resembles many of us in some ways, and some of us in many ways. And I`m referring to myself when I write this! What struck me this time was his sense of entitlement, which I`ve translated as “God, You owe me!”

I wonder if you`ve encountered Christians with this attitude. Perhaps they`ve diligently served God for years. All has been fine, but then something serious happens to them. There`s loss of a loved one, personal illness, loss of employment, financial distress, divorce, or being made homeless. After the shock comes the sense of indignation, disbelief, and anger towards God. "How can this be happening to me? I`ve followed God, and I`ve been a good Christian, tithed, come to church, and now this happens. It`s just not fair!” They`re effectively saying they should be exempt from personal suffering because of what they`ve done for God. Exactly the attitude and response of the elder brother. “God, you owe me!”

It`s interesting that Jesus never promises us an easy life as a Christian – far from it. He never suggested that giving our lives to Him would give us a free pass from the sufferings that others experience. But He did promise to be with us in everything that we experience. If anyone could have claimed entitlement it was Jesus himself, and yet Philippians 2:5-11 shows how much He was prepared to give up and how far He was prepared to go - for us.

As believers, we live in a fallen world, where we`re subject to trials and tribulations like anyone else. There are many things that happen to us and our loved ones that may not seem fair; some seem the very opposite of fair. But I`m not saying that suffering and loss shouldn`t make us angry. We can express that feeling of anger to God, and we find the Psalmist doing exactly that in Psalm 94. But, this side of eternity we can`t always understand the reason why things that happen, but we can choose to trust God anyway. Many have likened our lives to a tapestry, where we`re only able to see the reverse side, with threads crossed over and in a mess. God sees the front where all is in perfect order, and one day we shall too, `For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully know` (1 Corinthians 13:12). So, lets make a choice to trust Him; to believe that He really is faithful, and, while owing us nothing, promises to be with us always.

Prayer: Father God, there are so many things I just don`t understand - So many things that seem unfair and unjust. I recognise that we live in a fallen world, and the reality of this sometimes only hits home when it affects me personally. I recognise there might be times when my attitude to personal events seems like the elder brother – `God, you owe me!`. I don`t want that to happen. So, I turn to You and choose today to put my trust in You. I hand over to You all my lack of understanding, and even the desire to understand. I choose to seek Your comfort in my darkest hours, because You`re the God of all comfort. Amen.

Today's Writer : Philip Asselin
Annukka

The Valley of the Shadow of Death

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 07.08.2014 09:53

07 August, 2014
The Valley of the Shadow of Death

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me."
Psalm 23:4, NIV

Sometimes we can go through dark times, even to the point where everything around us seems to have a shadow of darkness. We could be having struggles with our work or facing a future without work. There could be relationship breakdowns within our family or among our close friends, we face ill health or someone we love is facing sickness. We may even be facing the death, or grieving the death, of a loved one. Maybe with all the challenges we are facing we aren`t coping the way we want to be or the way we used to. Change may be abounding and keeping it up with it all can be overwhelming. We may even be living in a country dominated by war and our future and the future of our people is uncertain.

The best description of this is found in today’s scripture - “the valley of the shadow of death.” I had a very tangible experience of this the night I fell off a cliff and lay waiting for hours among some rocks to be rescued. Death was tangible, only seconds away. Psalm 23 were the words my friends read to me as I lay waiting for my rescue. I also have walked through this valley at other times in my life. When my daughter Jasmyn died of a cot death (SIDS) at 16 weeks of age was another such a time.

If this is where you are at today let me encourage you with two things. Firstly if you are in the valley of the shadow of death, KEEP GOING! You will come out the other side. It is not a place to stay. As you keep pressing forward you will see the light at the end of this dark valley and you will smile and laugh again. Trust your future into the Lord’s safe and wonderful hands.

Secondly read again and meditate on the promise in today’s verse `I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.` In the midst of this dark valley that you are going through Jesus is with you. He promised it and He really means it. Jesus is with you. So let Him comfort and help you. Don`t be too proud to accept help from family, friends, your church or even professional help. These people may even be a part of the help that Jesus is bringing to you to help you through.

No matter what valley I have been through I have always come through it, although it was dreadful at the time. And always, in hindsight, I have been able to look back at the valley I faced and have realised how I have grown and come closer to the Lord.

Prayer: Dear Jesus, I am walking through the valley of the shadow of death. It is really hard. I claim your promise that You are with me. I will not give up and I will keep on going. Provide for me the help that I need. Please let me see the light at the end of this dark valley and let me smile and laugh again. In Your Name, Amen.
Today's Writer : Lynda Scott
Annukka

Anything Less Than Him

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 08.08.2014 09:30

08 August, 2014
Anything Less Than Him

"Now set your heart and your soul to seek the Lord your God."
1 Chronicles 16:11, NIV

I have a friend who plays in an orchestra (as I used to do many years ago!). We were talking about her experiences, and this led on to talking about music, orchestras and conductors. Did you know that conductors are trained to such a level that they can hear all the individual sounds that every instrument in their orchestra is playing all at once. If any instrument plays a wrong note, they can hear it. A university friend of mine studying music told me that if he heard a recording of a classical piece, he could pick up if the third violin played a note flat and that would ruin the piece for him.

It’s not only conductors. Coffee buyers who taste coffee for a living have such a sensitive and trained palette that coffee which is sub-standard or not prepared well is something they can’t bear. They’re ruined for anything less.

You don’t get to that level of ability or skill without hard work, perseverance and practice – lots of practice.

Isn’t it like that with us and the Lord?

As we get to know Him and His voice more and more, we’re able to pick up His small whispers. We feel the sense of His presence and delight in it, even when it’s hard. We get to know His character – what delights Him and what displeases Him. We’re ruined for anything less than Him, His path for us and His ways. Even if it’s hard, anything less than Him is just not good enough. It has to be Him. It has to be His way. It has to be His voice, His joy in our hearts, His presence in and through us.

Oh, how we need that sensitivity, that fine tuning, that intimacy, that training – in order to live lives that bring glory to His name.

Prayer: Lord, I seek more of You. Help me to persist in Your ways and Your path so I become more and more sensitive to Your voice and Your leading. Lord, I don’t want anything less than You – anything else other than Your will and way in my life. Amen.

Today's Writer : Anne Lawrence
Annukka

Learning to Listen

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.08.2014 09:30

09 August, 2014
Learning to Listen

"So David inquired of God again, and God answered him, Do not go directly after them, but circle around them and attack them in front of the poplar trees. As soon as you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the poplar trees, move out to battle, because that will mean God has gone out in front of you to strike the Philistine army."
1 Chronicles 14:14-15, NIV

The Philistines heard that David had been anointed as king over all of Israel and subsequently mobilised all their forces to capture him (1 Chronicles 14:8). They arrived in the valley of Rephaim and made a raid there. When David heard that they were coming, he marched out to meet them there and enquired of the Lord if he should go out and fight the Philistines. The Lord replied and gave him the go-ahead. Only then did David and his troops attack and they defeated the Philistines. In verse 11 we read David`s reaction upon their victory: `God did it! David exclaimed. He used me to burst through my enemies like a raging flood!`

After a while, the Philistines returned and made another raid on the valley (1 Chronicles 14:13). It would be easy to gather from the previous victory that David would just go ahead and attack the enemy again - God would surely give him another victory if he just followed the same advice as during the previous battle. He is the anointed king and the Philistines are the enemy; so that should settle it, seeing the situation is similar to the previous one.

But the verse for today shows us that David once again took the time to enquire of the Lord what he should do. David hereby acknowledged God in his decision-making, since he knew how dependent He was on the Lord’s guidance. As we see, the Lord gave David a totally different battle plan, and accordingly David and his troops gained another victory over the enemy! David didn`t put his trust in his army to gain victory over the Philistines. He put his trust in the Lord.

Another fact, that I find inspiring, was that David also had to wait on the Lord`s timing. He had to wait until he heard the sound of marching in the tops of the trees (verse 15) - only then was he to move out to battle. In a battle situation like this, I`m sure the men were tense, and wondering about the wisdom of David’s command. Perhaps some of the men even questioned David’s battle plan. But David stood firm and trusted the Lord completely. He didn`t listen to the voices or advice from others around him; his focus was on God’s instructions. And once again, God gave them the victory - He went out ahead of them and struck the enemy.

’So David did as God commanded him, and they drove back the army of the Philistines from Gibeon as far as Gezer. Then the fame of David went out into all lands, and the LORD brought the fear of him upon all nations’ (I Chronicles 14:16-17).

Prayer: Dear Father, so many times I’ve made decisions without asking You for advice - and I know You wanted to guide me. Please forgive me for not trusting You with all of my life. Where I’ve made wrong turns, please guide me back to Your plan for my life. Help me to always acknowledge You in all of my decisions and to not allow the advice of people to stop me from hearing Your voice and following Your guidance. Amen.

Today's Writer : Annalene Holtzhausen
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum