tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Kindness and Goodness

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.05.2014 07:57

Kindness and Goodness

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“See that none of you repays another with evil for evil, but always aim to show kindness and seek to do good to one another and to everybody.”
(1 Thessalonians 5:15. AMP)

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

In Galatians chapter five, the Bible talks about nine fruits of the Spirit. These fruits are spiritual qualities that manifest in our lives when we allow Him to work in us. The more we invite God to move in our hearts and follow His Word, the more those characteristics will manifest in us.

Kindness and goodness are two of those fruit of the Spirit. The Bible tells us that His Kindness leads people to repentance. In other words, kindness advances the Kingdom of God. The more kindness and goodness we show other people, the more we are acting like God. The Bible also tells us that what we sow, we shall reap. When we seek to do good to others, we will reap goodness in our own lives in return.

Today, look for ways to show kindness and goodness to the people around you even when they aren’t kind to you. Don’t repay evil for evil. Take the high road. Bless those who wrongfully use you. Seek to do good, show kindness, and you will see it come back as a blessing in your own life in return!

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Heavenly Father, thank You for displaying Your character through me. I choose to show kindness and goodness so that I can honor You with my thoughts, words and actions all the days of my life in Jesus’ name. Amen.

— Joel & Victoria Osteen
Annukka

Are We Taking His Name in Vain?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.05.2014 20:16

Are We Taking His Name in Vain?

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy.” Isaiah 57:15

“Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain.” Exodus 20:7

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
We all know that profanity is one way that you can take God’s name in vain, but I’ll tell you another way, and that’s in frivolous talk. That is, just taking the name of God carelessly or lightly.

Ephesians 5:4 mentions “foolish jesting.” What does that mean? God’s name is holy. We are never, ever to use His name unless we are serious. Now if you use humor to illustrate something, that’s fine, but it’s repugnant to use the Holy name of God frivolously.

ACTION POINT:
Begin the day by meditating on the holiness of God.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | LWF.org | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Our God is Trustworthy!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.05.2014 10:16

11 May, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Our God is Trustworthy!

"So keep your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me."
Acts 27:25, NIV

The words in today’s reading were spoken by the Apostle Paul, who was caught up in violent storm, out at sea. The situation that he, his fellow prisoners, his Roman captors and the sailors found themselves in was desperate. The storm had raged for many days and everyone had given up hope of ever being saved. It truly was a miserable situation until God sent an angel to speak to Paul. The message was ‘Do not be afraid, Paul. You must stand trial before Caesar, and God has graciously given you the lives of all who sail with you’ (Acts 27:24). Paul not only knew that the message was from God, but he also believed that what God said would happen, and with this conviction, he comforted a boat load of terrified men (275 of them to be exact!). Faith says thank you to God even before the answer is manifested in the physical realm. As so beautifully expressed in the book of Hebrews, ‘faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.’ (Hebrews 11:1). Paul was a man of faith, who knew God had a proven track record and thus could be trusted to do what He said He would do.

I wonder what storm you’re experiencing in your life right now. Perhaps it’s a financial storm, a relational storm, or life is just overwhelming you with its unexpected twists and turns. In the midst of your storm God wants to speak. Once you’ve heard His voice, you need to activate your faith – your belief, trust and confidence in God! Unbelief, fear and doubt cause us to concentrate on the wind and the waves until our hearts begin to tremble and despair. Faith however rises up, despite the circumstances and proclaims, ‘The God whose I am and whom I serve has spoken and I have faith in God that it will happen just as He told me’ (Acts 27:23-25).

Perhaps you’re wondering what happened to the Apostle Paul and his companions. Did they survive the storm or were they all drowned at sea? I’m not going to tell you. You’ll have to read the end of the book of Acts to find out. As you do, allow God to speak to you. The same God whom the Apostle Paul knew and served is also our God. Actually let me rephrase that last statement. The same God that the Apostle Paul knows and still serves is our God, for He’s not the God of the dead but of the living (Luke 20:38).

Prayer: Father God, You know what’s happening in my life right now. Nothing is hidden from you. I choose to believe that You’re with me and You’re bigger than any storm that comes against me. I have faith that You’re a faithful, trustworthy God who always keeps His promises. Amen.

Today's Writer : Sue Dare
Annukka

Shine On Me

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.05.2014 10:04

12 May, 2014
Shine On Me

"Therefore, if your whole body is full of light, and no part of it dark, it will be just as full of light as when a lamp shines its light on you."
Luke 11:36, NIV

Here at Ellel Grange we were recently having some Bible verses painted on the walls in a corridor, to brighten it up and remind people of God’s promises.

One of our team was painting the letters on the wall, and he commented that it was a bit hard to see what he was doing because the light was dull. So I went and found a lamp and put it beside him. Then he said, “Oh, now I can see all the imperfections in what I`ve done”.

We immediately saw an analogy in this to what happens when God`s light shines on us. It would be easy to think that, when we come to know the Lord everything is suddenly going to be OK, but it’s often the opposite.

It’s when the light of God shines on our lives that we realise just how imperfect we are, and just how much in need of our Saviour, Jesus we are. It’s only when these imperfections are seen in the light that we’re able to do anything about them, by handing them over to Jesus.

The Church, the body of Christ, is full of imperfect people, but Jesus has accepted us into this Body, warts and all. And, as we turn to Him, He’s covered our imperfection by His blood, and given us the promise of a wonderful future with Him in God’s heavenly kingdom. Praise the Lord!

Prayer: Father in heaven, we thank You for shining Your light upon us through Your son Jesus, the light of the world. We thank You for revealing all that’s been hidden in the dark recesses of our being. We thank You that, by the precious blood of Jesus, we’re redeemed from our sin, and washed clean, white as snow. We thank You that You don’t look upon our imperfections, but rather upon your Spirit that dwells within us. That’s what makes us Yours and totally loveable in your eyes. Amen.

Today's Writer : Kim Haywood
Annukka

Where Are You Looking?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.05.2014 09:22

13 May, 2014
Where Are You Looking?

"...fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith."
Hebrews 12:2, NIV

Recently I attended an Ellel Creative Inspirational Painting week at Blairmore House. Having dabbled from time to time in the past with watercolours, I thought it was time to discover how it should be done properly! I must admit that I approached this time with a certain amount of apprehension, because, when it comes to applying paint, I feel far more comfortable wielding a four inch emulsion brush than a thin artist’s brush, with barely visible bristles.

During the week I learnt how much I didn’t know about watercolour painting, and began to appreciate that there’s a lot more to producing a successful picture than just putting paint on to paper. Things like preparation, planning, mixing colours, direction of the light, correct colour tones, line of sight, focal point, perspective, and of course the artistic ability to translate what the eye sees on to the paper, are all necessary to make a perfect picture.

Whether in the coming days I shall be able to appropriate all that I learnt and produce a satisfying result remains to be seen!

While reflecting on that week I thought about perspective and how important it is to look at things from the correct point of view. If the perspective in a picture is not as it should be the whole picture is affected and looks out of balance and awkward.

That is often the case in life. We tend to look at things from the wrong perspective and consequently see the whole picture from the wrong angle, and in the wrong light. We can so easily be concerned with our own issues, problems and concerns that we miss out on what God really wants us to see and enjoy. He wants us to look to Him first and learn to look at things as He sees them, from His perspective.

The two disciples walking to Emmaus on that first Easter Day (Luke 24:13-34) were so taken up with their own issues - their doubts, fears, and anxieties - that they missed the fact that the person walking with them was Jesus, their risen Lord. It’s interesting that they were kept them from recognising Him (verse16). There are other places in Scripture where God prevents people from seeing the obvious. I believe that it’s not until God knows we’re ready to see and handle the reality that He’ll reveal things to us. In the case of the two at Emmaus it was only when Jesus broke the bread, and they saw His hands, that they were in a place to see and understand the truth. What an impact that revelation had on them! With no thought of the lateness of the day, or the fact that they had only just travelled the seven miles from Jerusalem (remember there were no cars or buses), they returned to share their experience with the other disciples (verse 33). I don’t think anyone in that group got much sleep that night!

As the song says ‘Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in his wonderful face, And the things of earth will grow strangely dim In the light of his glory and grace’. It doesn’t say the things of earth (the problems of life) will disappear, but that they will be seen in a different light - from a different perspective.

Prayer: Dear Lord, Please forgive me for the times I miss out on the things you want me to see because I’m not always ready to see things as You see them. Please help me to keep my eyes on You. Amen.

Today's Writer : Malcolm Wood
Annukka

Thanking God for Godly Mothers

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.05.2014 21:28

Thanking God for Godly Mothers

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.” Exodus 20:12

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
One time I had the privilege of speaking with the 41st President of the United States, George H. W. Bush, about his salvation and personal relationship with Christ and prayed with him about that. He looked me in the eyes and said, “I want to tell you, my mother was the most godly person I have ever known.” He then went on to tell me about her influence in his life.

Abraham Lincoln said, “All that I am or ever hope to be I owe to my angel mother.” This time every year we celebrate our mothers. Oh, the power of a mother’s love!

Do you know what children need? A – B – C:
Acceptance
Belonging
Confidence

ACTION POINT:
Thank God for magnificent mothers! Thank God for the impact of godly mothers in the lives of children.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | LWF.org | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

God’s Rest

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 14.05.2014 10:29

14 May, 2014
God’s Rest

"There remains, then a Sabbath-rest for the people of God, for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience. "
Hebrews 4:9-11, NIV

I’ve been blessed with a great capacity for sleep. I can fall asleep at night almost as soon as my head hits the pillow, even in the middle of a conversation - as my husband will testify! However, on the rare occasions when I wake in the night and have difficulty sleeping, I find the following day can be quite a struggle. I lack energy and become easily irritated or impatient. This is all because I haven’t had the rest that I needed, and I find it harder to live as I should.

God has created us to need rest. He Himself rested on the seventh day after creating the world, thereby instigating a pattern for us of six days of work, followed by one of rest (Genesis 2:2-3). And in the beginning, when He created light and separated it from the darkness, he created a pattern for each day: ‘There was evening, and there was morning – the first day’ (Genesis 1:5). The Hebrew day therefore begins with the evening, so that each day starts with rest, followed by the activity of the daytime, rather than the other way round.

This is a picture of how the LORD wants us to live our lives: all of our activity should come out of a place of rest in Him. The problem is we often go into activity and busyness without resting in Him. This means we can be doing things in our own strength, and then we wonder why we’re unproductive and easily tired! Today’s scripture clearly states, however, that there’s a place of rest for the people of God. This is where we let go of all our striving, and allow Him to work in us and through us. It’s only as we do this that we’ll be truly living our lives in the way God wants, and in the benefit of all that He has for us.

Let’s make sure that each of us enters God’s rest – a place where, even in the midst of our busy lives, we can be still in His presence, not doing things in our own strength, but allowing Him to work in us and through us.

Prayer: Lord, I’m sorry for the times when I’ve operated out of my own strength, without allowing You to work in me and through me. I want to enter Your rest and cease from all my striving. Please help me to do this. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Today's Writer : Jilly Lyon Taylor
Annukka

Psalm 139:13-14

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 14.05.2014 20:31

Today's Verse for 05/14/2014

You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. — Psalm 139:13-14

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

I am made by God! You are made by God. Just as surely as ANYone has been made by God, we have been made by God. He knew us before anyone knew we were there. He had plans for us before anyone planned our arrival. And he made us well! How do we know? Look at all God has made.

Prayer

God Almighty, my Savior and Redeemer, thank you for knowing me before I was able to know. Thank you for choosing my life and giving it to me. Thank you for giving me the gifts, abilities and talents that you have given me. Now please help me live as if I was made special by you, because I am! Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

The Rule and Reign of Jesus

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.05.2014 10:26

15 May, 2014
The Rule and Reign of Jesus

"Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."
Matthew 6:10, NIV

When I hear the Lord’s Prayer being recited ‘parrot fashion’, I often wonder if the people praying have really thought about what they’re asking for.

‘Your Kingdom come’ - What does that mean? In Revelation 21 we’re promised that: ‘God will wipe every tear from our eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain’. Is that what we’re asking for? Jesus did many miracles, healed many people, forgave sin, demonstrated compassion and grace, and was not condemning. Is that what we mean by the Kingdom?

When Jesus rode into Jerusalem on the colt shortly before His death the people seemed to be happy. They shouted and sang praise to God for sending Jesus. But not everyone was happy. The religious leaders were very unhappy; after all Jesus went straight to the temple and caused uproar by throwing out the money changers and those selling doves for sacrifice, and then He healed everyone. It was these leaders that planned how to kill Jesus and worked on turning the people against him. Why would they do that? Why would they not want to see people healed and corrupt tradesmen exposed?

Listen to the challenge they went to him with: ‘By what authority are you doing these things?’ they asked. `And who gave you this authority?’ (Matthew 21:23b). Authority in the temple and over religious teaching belonged to them and they didn’t like Jesus coming and taking that authority without their permission. He was demonstrating that it was God who had authority in the temple and over the truth of His word, and that God had given that authority to Him. It was a power struggle basically, and they were not prepared to submit to His authority.

A kingdom is a place which is under the authority, the rule and reign, of a king. So when we pray to God that His Kingdom will come we’re asking that Jesus would establish His authority. He can only do that if we’re prepared to submit to that authority. The truth is that there’s a power struggle for every one of us, because we all, like Adam and Eve before us, want to run our own lives. Like the religious leaders of Jesus day we want to be in control.

If we want those blessings promised in Revelation 21 and demonstrated by Jesus to us every day we will need to recognise and submit to his kingly authority (we could call it His Lordship). We will need to submit every area of our lives to Him, not just once, but every day of our lives, because He takes us to a deeper level all the time.

Prayer: Father, I want to submit afresh every area of my life to the Lordship of Jesus that Your Kingdom may truly come and Your will may be done. Amen.

Today's Writer : Dotty Cockcroft
Annukka

Ecclesiastes 11:5

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.05.2014 20:34

Today's Verse for 05/15/2014

As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things. — Ecclesiastes 11:5

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

I don't know. I don't know! That has to be one of the hardest phrases for us to use. But when thinking about God and his ways, that's really all we can say. What we know about God is only what he in his grace has chosen to reveal to us. He is the Mystery of mysteries. He is the supreme knowable Unknown. Yet what we do know of him, what he has revealed to us in Jesus, is not only mighty and awesome, but loving and merciful.

Prayer

To you, O Lord God, I can only offer my wonder and awe. When I consider the vastness of the universe in which our tiny blue planet spins its existence, I am humbled at your wonderfully complex and expansive soveriegnty. At the same time, Abba Father, I treasure your nearness. You are the good far above all I know, the God who transcends space and time, and also God my Father who is ever near. Thank you for being accessible but not penetrable, available but not controllable. I thank you and praise you in the name of Jesus. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum