tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

His Eye Is on the Sparrow

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 03.05.2014 17:24

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional May 3, 2014

His Eye Is on the Sparrow

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father." Matthew 10:29

English sparrows. They're worth barely a penny, Jesus said so. Yet of the world's nine thousand bird species, Jesus singled out the least-noticed and most insignificant of birds to make a point.

If God takes time to keep tabs on every sparrow -- who it is, where it's going, whether or not its needs are being met -- then surely He keeps special tabs on you. Intimately. Personally. And with every detail in mind.

The Bible may point to eagles to underscore courage and power, and it may talk about doves as symbols of peace and contentment. But God's Word reserves sparrows to teach a lesson about trust. Just as God tenderly cares for a tiny bird, even making note of when it is harmed, or when it falls to the ground, He gently reminds you that He is worthy of your greatest trust, your deepest confidence.

How do you approach God today? Maybe you feel like a ragamuffin house sparrow clinging to an empty birdfeeder with no one to care. Stop and remember the facts behind Matthew 10:29. God does care. He notices.

Try trusting the Lord today as would a sparrow. No questions asked. No fears that He won't come through. Relax in the protection and provision of your great God.

Father, it's astounding to think that with so many things to care for, You have a heart for people the world considers small and insignificant. Forgive me for not believing that You not only notice but intimately care for every detail of my life. Help me today to believe You for the small things. May I see every detail as an opportunity to trust You.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

Lamb of God

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 04.05.2014 09:55

04 May, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Lamb of God

"The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!"
John 1:29, NLT

When Jesus was walking the earth, hardly anyone knew the reason why He’d come. But one person, John the Baptist, knew exactly why Jesus had come and what He was going to do.

People thought Jesus was a godly man, who healed many, worked miracles, preached wisdom with many parables, and could be the one who would deliver them from the Roman occupation. The truth didn’t dawn on them, but God had revealed it to John as he prepared to baptise Jesus, and he spoke those prophetic words, ‘Look! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!’ John knew that God would provide the sacrificial lamb (as He did for Abraham in Genesis 22:8).

Those who followed Jesus, even those who were raised from the dead and healed of many diseases, didn`t realise that He was the Lamb of God who was to be their Passover lamb.

I myself, at the age of fourteen, didn’t really understand why something that took place two thousand years ago could have anything to do with me, in the century I was living in. I knew that Jesus died for me and rose again. I knew that it was so I could be forgiven, but it was so long ago. It didn’t seem relevant to my life.

Then I picked up a little book called ‘The Calvary Road’ by Roy Hessian, read it from cover to cover, and the scales fell from my eyes. I realised that the living Lord Jesus was the Lamb of God that took away my sins and washed me clean today when He shed His blood for me at Calvary that day. God took the sinless Christ and poured into Him our sins. Then, in the great exchange, He poured His goodness into us (2 Corinthians 5:21).

"You are my strength when I am weak,
You are the treasure that I seek,
You are my all in all.
Seeking You as a precious jewel,
Lord, to give up I’d be a fool,
You are my all in all.

Jesus, Lamb of God, worthy is Your name.

Taking my sin, my cross, my shame,
rising again, I bless Your name,
You are my all in all.
When I fall down, You pick me up;
When I am dry, You fill my cup.
You are my all in all." (By Dennis Jernigan)

Prayer: Worthy is Your name, to receive all praise and worship, glory honour and blessing forever. Amen.

Today's Writer : Pam Smith
Annukka

Rounding Third and Heading for Home

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 04.05.2014 19:47

Rounding Third and Heading for Home

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.” 2 Timothy 4:7

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
When Jesus came to the end of His life, He said, “I have finished the work which Thou gavest me to do” (John 17:4).

He stayed on the track, and so did Paul. They accomplished what God had set out for them to do.

Every man has a race that he must run. Every woman has a race set before her. God knows the course. And everything God commands of you, He will empower you to do. Whether you’re nine or ninety, young or old, rich or poor, God has a plan for your life! God has a race He wants you to run!

ACTION POINT:
What is the race God has set before you? If you are not certain, inquire of Him. What He asks of you, He will empower you to do. Thank God for the power to finish the course.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | LWF.org | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Running With Endurance

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 05.05.2014 20:40

Running With Endurance

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abides alone: but if it die, it brings forth much fruit.” John 12:24

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
You can tell the size of a Christian by what it takes to stop him. Hebrews 12:1 says we are to “run with patience the race that is set before us.” And this word “patience” is not used in the sense that we use the word. It literally means “endurance.”

Everybody knows that a runner is going to win or lose primarily by his endurance. You cannot quit. When it hurts, you cannot quit. When your lungs are on fire, you cannot quit. When your feet feel like lead, you cannot quit. When your sides ache, you cannot quit! You’ll never be a spiritual athlete if you’re a quitter! No pain. No gain.

ACTION POINT:
His power will enable you to run the race and gain the victor’s crown!

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | LWF.org | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

The joy of Salvation

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 06.05.2014 09:15

06 May, 2014
The joy of Salvation

"The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation. With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation."
Isaiah 12:2, NIV

From beginning to end, in many circumstances, the Bible uses the word joy. It’s more often than not used in the context of salvation - being in right relationship with God through repentance, which leads to forgiveness. It’s clear that God desires His people to be people characterised by joy.

Joy is spontaneous. It’s not something we can muster up. Joy is one part of what salvation should bring to the believer. It’s not happiness that depends upon our circumstances or moods. It’s the fruit of a Spirit-filled and controlled life. Hence, it doesn’t fluctuate with circumstances.

A.W.Tozer wrote, “Most Christians are not joyful persons because they are not holy persons, and they are not holy persons because they are not filled with the Holy Spirit; they are not filled with the Holy Spirit because they are not separated persons.” If we are to experience the joy of salvation we will have to realise that there are conditions to it.

When David sinned he lost the joy of his salvation and prayed, ‘Restore to me the joy of Your salvation’ (Psalm 51:12). Joy was restored to David through the brokenness of repentance, which brought him the assurance of forgiveness. David did not readily come to repentance. Until he met Nathan the prophet he was unconcerned about his sin. Nathan’s words brought conviction, which led to repentance and forgiveness from God.

Repentance and forgiveness are like two peas in a pod. You can’t have the one without the other. Repentance precedes forgiveness, which is a gift of God’s abundant grace. The message Jesus told His disciples to preach was a message of repentance and forgiveness (Luke 2:47), and this was the clear message they preached as they went into the world with the good news of salvation. Their message was clear and uncompromising, and it led people into true salvation. Ironically, this is the message of joy which I must humble myself to receive.

I must realise that repentance is not part of my sinful nature and I can’t bring it about myself, because I can’t change my hardened heart into a softened heart. If I’m to enter into the joy of repentance I must look to God in faith and pray for the gift of repentance. He alone can work miracles. Sanctification is a whole pathway of repentance and joy.

Forgiveness is a fruit of repentance and this leads to a hatred of sin and the fear of the Lord, which is an ever deepening relationship with Him. Unforgiven sin growing unchecked, chokes the incoming love of God. It blocks the heart to His love. Repentance is a highway to the Father heart of God, His love and His forgiveness. The revelation of God’s love is free to flow into the repentant heart because the blockages have been removed.

Prayer: Father, thank You for Jesus, who made the way possible for me to know Your heart. Thank You that He came that I could be forgiven. So often my heart is hard and I don’t recognise my lack of joy. Thank You for the joy of Your salvation. I humble myself before You and look to You, and ask You to convict me of anything in my life that blocks the flow of Your love into my heart. Please give me the gift of repentance, and restore to me the joy of Your salvation. I pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.

Today's Writer : Margaret Silvester
Annukka

James 5:16

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 06.05.2014 19:44

Today's Verse for 05/06/2014

Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. — James 5:16

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

To confess our sins means we do two things with our sin: 1) we recognize sin for what it is in God's eyes and 2) we get rid of our secrets and are honest with another Christian about our weakness, vulnerabilities, failures, and sins. James' language is powerful. He mentions that this confession doesn't just bring forgiveness, it also brings healing.

Prayer

Holy Father, I have sinned. I now confess my own personal sin of ____________. I ask for your forgiveness and for your Spirit to strengthen me in overcoming temptation. I want to live for you and not let my sin, any sin, entangle me and draw me away from you. Through the mighty name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

Ask to Hear Him Better

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 07.05.2014 07:47

Ask to Hear Him Better

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“I will listen to what God the Lord says...”
(Psalm 85:8, NIV)

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

Oftentimes, people think they can’t hear from God. They think He doesn’t talk to them. But really, it isn’t that God isn’t speaking; it’s not that He isn’t giving us direction. The problem is that we’re not always paying attention.

Learning to hear the voice of God is the most important skill you could ever develop. The more you pay attention to Him and the inner promptings and impressions of the Holy Spirit, the more you will know Him and see His goodness and protection in your life. How would your life be different if every morning you would wake up and pray, “God, help my spiritual ears to be open and sensitive to Your voice. God, help me to hear what You’re saying today”?

Today, know that God wants to give you wisdom, direction, protection and guidance that will save you heartache and make your life easier. He wants to give you breaks that will put you years ahead. If you’ll ask to hear Him better and learn to be still and listen, you’ll experience God’s hand of blessing and His direction in every area of your life.

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father, thank You for continually speaking to my heart. Help me to hear You better. Help my spiritual ears to be open and sensitive to Your voice. God, help me to hear what You are saying today and every day of my life in Jesus’ name. Amen.

— Joel & Victoria Osteen
Annukka

Receiving Healing

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 08.05.2014 09:31

08 May, 2014
Receiving Healing

"One day as he was teaching, Pharisees and teacher of the law, who had come from every village of Galilee and from Judea and Jerusalem, were sitting there. And the power of the Lord was present for him to heal the sick."
Luke 5:17, NIV

Many people have heard, through Ellel Ministries teaching, or through reading my biography “Lynda”, of the miraculous healing I received following the devastating accident I’d had. My life was transformed in one night as I had a supernatural encounter with Jesus. So many people are in desperate need of healing across our world, and it’s the cry of so many to have a life changing encounter such as I had.

So why does it happen so seldom? Why is it that believers from so many denominations have prayer for healing every single week, and so few report miraculous encounters? Speaking as one who has had such an encounter I thought I’d share a few of my observations on this, to help you understand healing a bit better.

First let me say that Jesus does care about the physical sickness you face. One of Jesus’ names is Jehovah Rapha – ‘I am the God who heals you’. It’s an intrinsic part of His character, and to say otherwise is to undermine who He is. The Scriptures are full of references to His heart to bring healing, and there are multitudes of stories in the Gospels of where Jesus actually heals the sick in many different circumstances. A part of Jesus’ mandate is to ‘heal the brokenhearted’ (Luke 4:18).

Secondly I’d say, as believers in Christ, we need to gain a solid understanding of healing from the Scriptures. This was actually the basis on which I received my healing. I had three full days of teaching into the foundations of faith and the basis of healing in the Old and New Testaments, which prepared my heart to receive healing. Those three days were some of the most enlightening days of my walk with Jesus, as I understood for the first time how the Scriptures fitted together as a whole. And to have the revelation from Scripture that Jesus could bring healing to victims of accident and trauma was mind blowing! But the prayer I received was not just a simple ‘In the name of Jesus, be healed’. There was so much depth to the prayer ministry that night. It applied the scriptural teaching I’d just received to my life and situation. I was a wholehearted participant in everything that was prayed, and this enabled me to receive my healing. I’m glad I was able to publicly share a detailed transcript of the prayer ministry in my book, as it helps people understand what I personally needed to face to receive my healing. Each person may need to face different things, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Finally I want to share on today’s scripture – ‘And the power of the Lord was present for him to heal the sick’. There are times and places when the power of the Lord is specifically released to bring healing to the sick. The night I received healing is an obvious example. An atmosphere of united faith and love certainly makes the atmosphere conducive for the Holy Spirit to come. I believe this happened when I was healed. Many times over the years since then I’ve had a need for healing. However, only once in my life have I ever had the privilege of receiving the healing power of God in the way I did that night. As ministers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ we need to be mindful, that He may release the power of the Lord to heal the sick in our midst. We need to be ready at any time. Don`t miss the day – someone`s counting on you!

Never give up on Jesus bringing you healing. He’s the only one who can heal a broken body or a broken heart. Your healing may be a day away, a year away or even more. But we’re called to live by faith. Commit yourself to learn about healing from the Scriptures, wherever the Lord may lead you. Keep your eyes on Him, and trust Him. Have an open heart, and always be ready to receive from Jesus. But know today that Jesus does indeed miraculously heal people in our time. Prepare your heart, and He may indeed have a supernatural encounter with you!

Prayer: Dear Jesus, I praise You that You are Jehovah Rapha! I’m so glad You know all about the sickness and physical suffering that I carry in my body. How I long for Your healing! Forgive me where I’ve lost heart and hope because Your healing hasn’t come as I hoped it would. You are God, and I keep my eyes upon You, Jesus. I trust You with my health, and submit my healing need into Your loving hands. In Your name, Amen.

Today's Writer : Lynda Scott
Annukka

Colossians 4:5-6

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 08.05.2014 21:17

Today's Verse for 05/08/2014

Make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. — Colossians 4:5-6

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

There are no random acts of kindness, only intentional acts given the opportunity to happen. We have thought about kindnesses we can do. We have committed ourselves to acting in ways that are kind and beneficial. We have prayed for an opportunity to be kind. Then the opportunity presents itself and bingo! We act with kindness. Nothing random about that! This is true not just in deeds, but in words as well. More than trying to avoid poor speech, we are urged to use our speech to bless and help others to come to know Christ.

Prayer

Father, please forgive me for the careless words I have uttered this week. I understand that these careless words are twice sins — a sin once when I committed it and a sin a second time because I didn't see the opportunity to be redemptive and helpful with my speech. Open my eyes Lord so that I may see those people you have placed in my path to bless. Through the blessed name of Jesus I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.05.2014 09:57

09 May, 2014
Perseverance

"Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
James 1:4, NIV

It was a year ago that our son, Kyle, learned to ride his bike without his stabilisers (training wheels). It was a huge battle to encourage him to keep trying but he persevered and now there’s no stopping him! A year later, and he is happy to cycle thirteen miles, over rough ground, going fast, going slow, up and down big hills and generally looking like he’s been on his bike for years.

Such progress hasn’t been achieved just through the initial ‘big leap’ to remove his stabilisers, but through a continuance of his perseverance. He’s continued to push the boundaries, both physically and through the natural fears of trying new things, all within the safety and security of our watchful eye and a lot of encouragement!

When I think of this scripture, I do wonder if it’s easy for us to fall into a belief that we’ve accomplished something God set out for us to do and we’ve stopped there, no longer persevering to push the boundaries and see what lies for us beyond that place. It’s clear that the pathway to maturity is to ‘let perseverance do its work’, in other words to continue working hard, pushing the boundaries, and going to the places that are unfamiliar, even fearful at times. There, like Kyle we can discover new freedom, a growing sense of achievement and maturity.

What’s been interesting for me to notice is that the perseverance Kyle has put into his cycling is being translated into the rest of his life. He doesn’t shy from a challenge. He works hard and believes that he can achieve many things if he puts his mind to it.
I have to admit, I stand aside feeling rather challenged by his attitude. There’s something about being an adult where you think that your time of persevering is over. I know that’s not true. There’s always more for us if we just keep on going and work hard to achieve what we may believe is impossible at the time.

Prayer: Father God, I know that there have been times when I’ve given up, or stopped moving forward, when things got a bit tough, or I feel that enough has been achieved. Yet, in You, there’s always more for us to discover and look forward to. Please give me the encouragement I need to persevere, so I can find a wealth in You that goes beyond my limited understanding. Amen.

Today's Writer : Lindsey Hanekom
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum