tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Longing For His Return

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.02.2014 19:55

Longing For His Return

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“...we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air.” 1 Thessalonians 4:17

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Is your heart longing for Jesus to return? Are you looking for Him? I am. The coming of Jesus is really the only hope for this world.

And when will that be? I don’t know. It may be at morning when the clouds break open with sunlight and shadows of night recede from the sky. It may be at noon when the world is hustling and bustling. It may be at dusk when the birds are singing their evening song. Or at midnight, when the stars will dim by the blaze of glory when He descends from the heavenlies.

What joy fills my heart! Does it fill yours as well to think of that moment? Are you ready?

ACTION POINT:
Look up into the skies today and think about His return. Can you imagine the sound of the trumpets and the voice of the angels announcing His return?

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | LWF.org | Today's Message

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

A Gentle Approach

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.02.2014 11:25

28 February, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
A Gentle Approach

"But as he was thinking this over, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, Joseph, descendant of David, do not be afraid to take Mary [as] your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of (from, out of) the Holy Spirit."
Matthew 1:20, AMP

Upon hearing the news of Mary`s unexpected pregnancy, Joseph must have felt very hurt and confused. The Bible describes him as a good man, and he surely must have had different dreams for the two of them. The Bible doesn`t describe his initial reaction upon hearing the news, but we do know that he didn`t take his feelings of disappointment out on Mary. He didn`t react in anger, but chose to `think this over`.

It was during this time that the angel of the Lord appeared to him and confirmed what Mary had told him. Without the Lord`s intervention, it would have been very difficult to explain Mary`s pregnancy. If Joseph had reacted in anger and gone public with Mary`s pregnancy, the result would probably have been Mary`s actual death.

Joseph had planned to quietly break off the engagement, but with God in the picture his shattered dreams were suddenly filled with hope and promise. It was enough for God to encourage him to go ahead and marry Mary. He honoured Mary, and never again do we read about him doubting. Once the Lord gave him his instructions he obeyed, without questioning the Lord.

This story could have ended very differently if Joseph had burst out in anger and disappointment. He could have accused Mary of not being truthful, and he could have humiliated her by exposing her pregnancy. The repercussions would have been devastating. This is probably how people would have expected him to react, but Joseph chose to follow the Lord`s guidance and not other people`s ideas.

How do we react when we`re rejected, hurt, wrongfully accused, or even just frustrated with the outcome of a situation? What goes through our minds when our expectations are shattered and everything just seems to be going wrong? Or when we`re stuck in traffic and our patience is being stretched? We can either lash out in anger, or we can allow the Lord to intervene and guide us in how to handle the situation.

Giving the Lord time to intervene also allows for us to make a better assessment of a situation. Let`s follow Joseph`s example of a thoughtful approach when faced with challenges in our daily lives, and allow time for the Lord`s direction and guidance.

Prayer: Dear Lord, there are so many times when I`ve reacted impulsively and ended up hurting people with my words and attitudes. Please forgive me. Help me to learn how to wait on You, and to rather share my thoughts and emotions with You before I say hurtful things to others. I trust You to guide me through all the disappointments and frustrations in my life and to fill them with hope and promise. Amen.

Today's Writer : Annalene Holtzhausen
Annukka

The Good Fight

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.03.2014 20:17

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional March 1, 2014

The Good Fight

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."

2 Timothy 4:7

My husband, Ken, is a World War II buff, especially when it comes to knowing types of airplanes and ships. But I couldn't care less why the Army Air Corps used B-29 instead of B-17 bombers in the Pacific theater. I'm just not interested in war. I agree with the person who said, "There's no such thing as a bad peace or a good war."

However, I'm reminded of one war that is emphatically good. I read how the apostle Paul, near the end of his battle-scarred life, laid down his weapons of warfare and said, "I have fought the good fight."

The good fight of a Christian is the one battle to get rid of all evil, especially in our lives. We choose our weapons -- either a bullet-sized verse, or bulletproof prayer. We may grieve over lost territory because of disobedience, but we can rally to reclaim lost ground. Sometimes we have to tighten a tourniquet on wounded pride, or step back for reconnaissance into God's Word.

Every day, you and I go into war against an ensnaring world, a corrupt flesh, and a busy Devil. The front lines are a risky and ruggedly demanding place to be. But the battle prize is for all of us who reckon the fight to be... good.

For you, the front lines of the good fight may be drawn against an extra minute or two of an indecent TV program. Or when you battle a surge of self-pity. Your fight may be against immoral thoughts that linger in your mind, or phrases that manipulate others. Choose your weapons because your warfare is real.

As the Captain of the Lord's Army, I thank You for the shield of faith and the sword of the Spirit. Help me to fight the good fight.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

Job 23:10-11

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 02.03.2014 19:20

Today's Verse for 03/02/2014

He knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside. — Job 23:10-11

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

How we long for this to be our true confession. We are not yet gold, but long to be. We are not yet fully following his steps, but are trying. We have tried to not turn aside, but we sometimes falter. Thank God for his grace until our intentions and desires are fulfilled in our discipleship!

Prayer

Magnificent Creator and Sustainer of the Universe, I confess my sin and my inadequacy in following your paths. Forgive me as I commit my life to serve you in holiness and joy. Thank you for your grace which covers my sin and perfect in me the character of Jesus. Through him I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

What Cancer Cannot Do

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 02.03.2014 19:26

What Cancer Cannot Do

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
What if you had an appointment with the doctor and found out that you had cancer? Maybe you have heard this news or heard it on behalf of a loved one. I want to tell you some things cancer cannot do. Cancer cannot shatter hope. Cancer cannot corrode faith. Cancer cannot eat away peace. Cancer cannot place a limit on eternal life. Cancer cannot quench the Spirit of God and cancer cannot lessen the power of the resurrection. That’s how limited cancer is!

ACTION POINT:
Is there someone in your life that is suffering from cancer? Give them the Good News that you’ve read today. And pray that they will know the Savior.

facebook.pngtwitter.png
Annukka

The True Way to Happiness

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 03.03.2014 17:46

The True Way to Happiness

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Blessed are they that keep His testimonies, and that seek Him with the whole heart.” Psalm 119:2

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Have you ever thought that if you lived according to God’s laws, you were going to miss out? Truth is, if you don’t live according to God’s laws you’re going to miss out! God’s laws are for your welfare.

God is not a tyrant in heaven making a bunch of laws to make you squirm like a worm in hot ashes as you try to keep those laws. God loves you. Every time God says “Thou shalt not,” God is simply saying, “Don’t hurt yourself.” And every time God says, “Thou shalt,” God is saying, “Help yourself to happiness.” God has something so wonderful for you.

ACTION POINT:
Write the following down on some sticky notes and post them everywhere …
“God loves me.”
“God knows better than I do.”
“God is in control.”
“God is good.”

facebook.pngtwitter.png
AR_headshot.jpgDevotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers
Annukka

Secrets Only the Holy Spirit Can Give

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 04.03.2014 20:58

Secrets Only the Holy Spirit Can Give

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“And when He is come, He will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on Me.” John 16:8-9

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
What would you think of someone who gave you the secret of life? Do you think you might instantly call him your best friend? You bet!

That’s what the Holy Spirit did for you. The Holy Spirit gave you the secret not only to life, but to eternal life! He convicted you of your sin. He drew you to Christ (John 6:44).

Don’t get the idea that anybody can simply come of his own will and his own volition to Jesus Christ. No one could come. No one would come, except by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit has given you the secret of life. And He has drawn you there Himself! That’s some best friend, wouldn’t you say?

ACTION POINT:
Don’t keep quiet about your Best Friend today. He wants to be known and He’s given you the privilege to be His messenger. Share Him with those you care about today.

facebook.pngtwitter.png
Annukka

Deuteronomy 6:6-7

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 05.03.2014 19:18

Today's Verse for 03/05/2014

These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. — Deuteronomy 6:6-7

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

We are to begin each day with God. Every breath we take should be a powerful reminder that our Father has granted us another day of life to serve him. Each heartbeat is God's drumbeat of love, reminding us that we are blessed with another minute to offer him our best. This blessing is so easily forgotten. We best remember these truths when we teach them and show them and live them with and before our children. But, let's not leave their learning these truths to our example alone. Let's find teachable moments to explain our faith, to praise our Heavenly Father, and to teach God's truth.

Prayer

Almighty God, Gracious Sustainer, and Undeserved Friend, thank you! Thank you for this breath I take and for the heartbeat that sustains my life. Make me aware as I travel and talk and rest and work that you are there and are worthy of my intentional best. The name of Jesus, my gracious sacrifice I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

God Is in the Restoration Business

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 06.03.2014 13:52

God Is in the Restoration Business

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten.” Joel 2:25

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Hosea had a wife whose name was Gomer. She not only committed immorality, but she finally ended up as a prostitute on the street.

In the strength of the Lord, Hosea went to her, reclaimed her, forgave her, remarried her and restored her as his bride. What a picture of the restoration of our Lord with us!

God has promised to restore all the pains of our past, the heartaches from broken relationships, the struggles from defeat, and the frustrations of our lives. All the times we felt broken beyond repair, God has promised to restore.

God is in the business of restoring His children into beautiful works of His holiness.

ACTION POINT:
Is there someone in your life who has wandered from the faith and felt the abandonment of friends and family? If so, go to that person today and encourage them in the love of Jesus.

facebook.pngtwitter.png
Annukka

Yes—He knows Your Name

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 07.03.2014 20:10

devotion_header_2014.jpg

Yes—He knows Your Name

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“I will praise Thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.” Psalm 139:14

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Ever feel like the little girl who was endeavoring to pray what we call The Lord’s Prayer when she said, “Our Father which art in Heaven, how does He know my name?” I have.

But friend, He does know our names. He knows me. He knows you.

You say, “But how could God be interested in me? The great God who made the galaxies—how could He be interested in me? I'm like a fleck of spray in an ocean of existence.” Well, He is interested in you. You are not an accident. You are intimately known by God.

ACTION POINT:
Read Matthew 10:30. What does this tell you about God? What does this tell you about yourself?

facebook.pngtwitter.png
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum