tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

The promise will Come through You

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 25.01.2014 09:39

The promise will Come through You

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.”
(Genesis 18:14, NKJV)

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

In scripture, God gave Sarah a promise that she would have a baby, but she was well beyond the childbearing years. She thought the promise would come through somebody else. That made more sense. She was too old. So she got her husband, Abraham, together with a young maid, and they had a baby. Sarah said, “Thank You, Lord. The promise came to pass.”

But God said, “No, Sarah. I didn’t put the promise in them. I put the promise in you. You have hidden treasure that is still buried in your womb.” But as long as Sarah thought, “I’m too old. I’m at a disadvantage. I don’t look like these younger women,” she was talking herself out of what God wanted to do.

How many times do we do the same thing? “I could never be in management.” “I could never write that book.” “I could never build that house.” No, God is saying to you what He said to Sarah. “I didn’t put the promise in somebody else. I put the promise in you.” Look past your circumstances today and look to God. The one who promised is faithful, and He will bring it to pass!

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father, thank You for Your faithfulness to me. I know that You will bring to pass every promise You’ve made. I repent for trying things in my own strength and choose to trust wholly in You in Jesus’ name. Amen.

— Joel & Victoria Osteen
Annukka

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 25.01.2014 19:20

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional January 25, 2014

Who's Stronger?

"You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." 1 John 4:4

In our less consistent moments we almost unconsciously see the conflict between God and Satan as an arm-wrestling match. Their wrists go first this way, then that; God's arm is on top one moment, Satan's the next. We remind ourselves that God will win in the end because He's slightly stronger and can hold out longer. But, we reason, it's going to take much time, effort, and a few close calls. We almost think Satan's schemes throw a monkey wrench into God's plans, catch Him off guard, and present Him with problems He wishes wouldn't happen.

That's silly. The truth is that God is infinitely more powerful than Satan. God, the One who is in you, is greater than Satan, the one who is in the world. Satan owes his very existence to God--he is a created being, an angel, and a fallen one at that. Satan had to receive God's permission before afflicting Job, and even then he was under definite restrictions. Satan's demonic hordes feared Jesus and obeyed Jesus' commands. And the Bible is clear that when our Lord is ready, He will crush the Evil One forever.

No, Satan doesn't sneak out and cause pneumonia and cancer while God happens to be looking the other way listening to the prayers of His saints. He can only do what our all-powerful and all-knowing God allows him to do.

Lord Jesus, I have nothing to fear, knowing that You are in control. There is no accident, injury, or circumstances that can happen beyond Your sovereign will. I recognize that the Devil cannot touch my life, that he cannot even tempt me without gaining Your permission. Help me to realize just how great and powerful You really are!

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

Expressing Our Praise to the Lord

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 25.01.2014 19:34

Expressing Our Praise to the Lord

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.” Psalm 100:1

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
There’s nothing wrong with getting excited in church. I heard about a man who came to a cold church. The preacher said something he agreed with and he said, “Amen.”

Everybody turned around and looked at him. After awhile he said, “Praise the Lord.”

Then people arched their eyebrows. Next time he said “Amen” an usher tapped him on the shoulder to quiet him down.

The usher said, “What is wrong with you?”

He said, “Well, nothing. I’ve just got religion.”

To which the usher curtly replied, “Well, mister, you didn’t get it here.”

It’s easier to cool down a zealot than it is to warm up a corpse.

ACTION POINT:
What does it mean to make a joyful noise unto the Lord? How do you make a joyful noise to Him . . . not just on Sundays in church, but all week long? Sing one of your favorite hymns throughout the day today.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message

FacebookTwitter
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

James 4:8

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 26.01.2014 20:15

Today's Verse for 01/26/2014

Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. — James 4:8

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

Humble yourselves. That sounds obscene. At least to the "get ahead at all cost" and "don't look back the competition is gaining on you" culture of self-promotion it sounds obscene. Humility is a forgotten virtue. Often confused with weakness or timidity, humility is about knowing our proper place in the world without flaunting it. Only God can exalt in a permanent way, so the key is to know our place before him and let him put us in the place he chooses to honor him.

Prayer

Abba Father, Most Holy God, thank you for allowing me into your presence. When I think of all that you have done, the incredible universe you have made and hold together by your word, I am amazed you invite me into your presence. I am amazed that you even care about my choice of words. Thank you for knowing me and having a plan for my life. Help me this day to live with humily and grace before others as I seek to glorify you in all things. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

Sing a New Song

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.01.2014 11:22

27 January, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International

Sing a New Song

"Sing to the LORD a new song, for He has done marvellous things."
Psalm 98:1, NIV

There is a regular occurrence as I look through a window toward the house next door. My attention is drawn to a sparrow who sits on the fence. This bird seems to be looking at me as it chirps its song, and it makes me wonder what kind of message this little creature might wish to convey. Each time this bird is there it seems to chirp the same song, whether it is morning, afternoon or evening. It never seems to stop its song. This reminded me of the words of Jesus in Matthew 10:29–31; ‘Not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father … you are worth more than many sparrows’.

That little bird on our fence really has something to sing about, whether it knows it or not, but how much more have we, when we reflect upon what our heavenly Father has done for us in providing His only Son, Jesus, to be our Saviour and Redeemer. Truly, with the psalmist, we too can sing, ‘He has done marvellous things … He has made His salvation known and revealed His righteousness to us’. And the realisation of this causes us to ‘shout for joy to the LORD and burst into jubilant song with music’.

With the psalmist, we too can say, ‘Bless the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise His holy name, … forget not all His benefits. He forgives all my sins’.

Prayer: Dear Lord, my God, the God of my salvation. I praise and thank You for the wonders of Your creation, and how You can use little things to speak into me, so I’m brought to praise and thanksgiving. Please keep me alert to recognise when You’re speaking through the simple things of life around me, and enable me to give all the glory, praise and honour to You I pray, in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Today's Writer : David Silvester
Annukka

Helpful Friends, Hostile Foes and a Happy Ending

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.01.2014 11:12

28 January, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Helpful Friends, Hostile Foes and a Happy Ending

"When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralysed man, ‘Son, your sins are forgiven.’"
Mark 2:5, NIV

In Mark’s gospel we find the story of the paralysed man who was forgiven and healed by Jesus, after being lowered through the roof by his friends. Among the miracles of Jesus, this is one of the best known, and is in all three synoptic gospels.

The man’s friends carried him to Jesus. He was totally immobile, confined to a stretcher, and unable to enter through the door. With great effort his friends let him down through the roof.

Jesus observed the faith of the paralysed man and his friends. He said, ‘Son, your sins are forgiven you.’ It seemed strange that Jesus forgave him first, rather than healed him. Why? Doctor Luke mentions that both the scribes and the Pharisees reasoned in their hearts, not speaking it out, but silently, that Jesus was guilty of blasphemy, as only God can forgive sins (Luke 5:21).

Jesus has the power to forgive sin, because He is the divine Son of God, and He knew what they were thinking in their hearts. He asked which was easier - to forgive or to heal? Both required divine authority and power. And Jesus had the power to do both. Jesus told the paralysed man to arise and take up his bed and go home. He did it immediately, in the presence of all. Doctor Luke adds that he went glorifying God.

The healing of the paralysed man is a wonderful story, but it has lessons for us today. First of all it shows the power of Jesus to forgive sins while He was on earth. Jesus demonstrated this power. From heaven Jesus continues to have the power to forgive sins, made possible through His shed blood on the cross. This is offered to all today who respond to His gospel. This is forever available to those who walk with God. So `Have you looked to Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins?`

Secondly, it shows us how precious it is to have friends with faith. Jesus saw the faith of this man’s friends. They made a great effort to help him. Without them the man wouldn’t have been able to come to Jesus at all. Do you have friends with faith? People who are ready to help you in time of need? Do you appreciate such friends? If they’re in need can they rely on you? We should all nurture our network of friends who are believers and share our faith with them.

The healing of the paralysed man reveals a man who was in need, was blessed with good friends, and was forgiven of his sins by Jesus Christ. We’re all like that man. We have needs that only Jesus can fulfil. We need the forgiveness of Jesus. Like the paralysed man we need faith. It was his faith, and that of his friends, that led to Jesus fulfilling his needs.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You’re the author and the perfecter of our faith. Help us to deepen our walk with You by the power of Your Holy Spirit. Thank You for forgiving us our sins through the shed blood of Jesus, and for all the divine exchange at the cross means. Help us to fix our eyes on You, as we make You Lord of our lives today. Amen.

Today's Writer : Jill Southern-Jones
Annukka

The True Gospel

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.01.2014 19:38

The True Gospel

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.” Ephesians 2:8

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
How can you tell whether or not you have the true gospel? Paul gives you three tests.

First, the source of the gospel. Where did it come from? God gave it. It is direct and divine revelation. The gospel is authenticated by its source.

Secondly, by its salvation. Any gospel that is not the gospel of grace is not the true gospel. You can’t beg it. You can’t buy it. You can’t borrow it. You can’t steal it. You can’t earn it. It was bought by Christ on the cross. It is the supernatural work of God.

The third test is its subject. It is the grace of Christ. Jesus is the subject. From Genesis to Revelation, the Bible is all about Jesus.

ACTION POINT:
Take an hour or two this week and find the prophecies about Jesus in the book of Isaiah. Take comfort in knowing that Jesus is the One Who was, Who is, and Who is to come!

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message

FacebookTwitter
Annukka

Explanations

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.01.2014 19:54

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional January 28, 2014

Explanations

"Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." Isaiah 46:4

Warren Wiersbe once said, "Nothing is harder to heal than a broken heart shattered by experiences that seem so meaningless. But God's people don't live on explanations; God's people live on His promises."

A grocery list of biblical reasons explaining the whys and wherefores behind suffering doesn't always help when you're hurting. What does help are the promises of God. Even though God's promises are usually devoid of standard explanations and don't always detail the blueprint behind His plan, they do point to the loving character of our good and kind Lord.

Take Isaiah 46:4. Even for someone bent over with old age and arthritis, God's explanation is simple and powerful, "I am he, I am he who will sustain you." God wants us to understand that He alone is the source of help and hope. God owes us no explanations. He did enough explaining on the cross to show that His love is sufficient to meet every need.

Look again at our verse for the day. In one short sentence, God promises that He will rescue, carry, and sustain you. How? At least six times, God uses the personal pronoun to point to Himself. His promises are signed, sealed, and delivered on the basis of who He is. And He is faithful. He is loving. He rescues you and carries you. It's a promise.

Lord, I don't survive because You roll out in front of me the blueprint behind my painful experiences. I don't live on reasons why. I love on Your promises. Draw me to them today and help me to lean on Your loving faithfulness. This will be enough.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

Worry

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.01.2014 18:29

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional January 29, 2014

Worry

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:25-28, 31, 33-34

Try this: Go back over these verses and count how many times the Lord uses the word "worry." You'll discover in the span of these few short verses that the Lord Jesus repeats six times, "Do not worry." Talk about driving home a point!

The Lord was wise in repeating His warning so many times. He knows the devastating effects of worrying, how it can corrode your faith like acid. Worry robs you of joy, it steals your hope.

What is worrying you today? A deadline or a diet? A car payment or a gloomy medical report? Repeat one more time your reading of Matthew 6:25-34 and personalize it by putting your name after each time the Lord commands (notice, it's not a suggestion): "Do not worry."

Lord, I admit that I'm so prone to worrying about things that happen in my life. Help me today to trust You. Receive glory as I turn from my anxiety and turn to You. Thank You that Jesus has given me this solemn warning not to worry.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

What Is Salvation?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.01.2014 18:35

What Is Salvation?

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God.” 1 John 5:1

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
What is salvation? Not a creed. You say, “Well, I believe the plan of salvation.” You can believe the plan of salvation and go straight to hell. You’re not saved by the plan of salvation, you’re saved by the man of salvation.

Salvation is not a creed. It’s not a code. You say, “Well, I believe if you live right you’ll go to heaven.” If you could be saved by living right, then Calvary was a blunder. It’s not a cause. You say, “I’m a member of a good, fundamental, Bible believing church.” It’s not any of these things. It’s Christ.

Salvation is not believing something, it is receiving Someone. The true gospel is one that centers in Jesus Christ.

ACTION POINT:
Ask God to give you a divine opportunity to boldly share Jesus with someone today. Maybe it’s a co-worker, maybe it’s your child. Maybe it’s a stranger that sits next to you at a restaurant. Be strong and of good courage, God will go before you to prepare the way.

FacebookTwitter
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum