tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Praying, "Thy Will Be Done on Earth ...."

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.01.2014 18:48

Praying, "Thy Will Be Done on Earth ...."

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed by Thy name.” Matthew 6:9-10

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
When you pray, “Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done . . . on earth as it is in heaven” do you realize that this prayer has not yet been answered, but it will be answered?

Jesus Christ is literally, actually, visibly, bodily coming back to this earth. Do you believe that? Do you think that Jesus Christ would have taught us to pray this prayer if it would not have been answered?

His kingdom has not come yet on earth. His will is not being done on earth. But it shall be; it will be because our Lord taught us to pray that.

ACTION POINT:
When you read or watch the news today, how do you see God’s will not being done on earth?

Ask the Lord that His will would be brought to earth – praying for the people involved in each story for their welfare and their salvation.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message

FacebookTwitter
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Cling To the Right Thing

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 14.01.2014 11:33

14 January, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Cling To the Right Thing

"I cling to you: your right hand upholds me."
Psalm 63:8, NIV

Sellotape, and its modern equivalents, are very much part of everyday life, especially at parcel wrapping time. It was during such a `wrapping` session, just before Christmas, that I was once again aware of the contrary nature of adhesive tape. As I carefully tried to apply the tape to the paper surrounding a fragile item, the tape refused to adhere to the relevant area without my applying extra pressure. Whereas, at other times, when attempting to keep the tape from sticking where it wasn`t required, it seemed to stick quite easily, and then was difficult to remove without damaging the paper.

Although my experiences with the tape that wouldn`t stick where it was needed, and did stick where it wasn`t needed, may be due to the way I wrap parcels, it did make me think that perhaps we can sometimes be like that in our lives – holding on to things we shouldn`t hold on to, and not holding on to those things we should hold on to.

This is similar to the problem that the Apostle Paul faced when he said in Romans 7:21 `It seems a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong` (NLT). He later declares `Thank God! The answer is in Christ Jesus our Lord` (Romans 7:25). It`s only through Jesus and the power of His Spirit that we are able to experience victory in these situations. This is why it`s important that we take to heart the words from Hebrews 4:14b-15 `Let us cling to him and never stop trusting him. This High Priest of ours (Jesus) understands our weaknesses, for he faced all the same temptations we do, yet he did not sin`.

Elsewhere we`re encouraged to `Cling to that which is good` (John 12:9); Timothy is instructed to `Cling tightly to your faith in Christ` (1 Timothy 1:19); and we`re told to `Hold tightly to the hope we say we have` (Hebrews 10:23).

The words of Jesus to the religious leaders of His day can also be a challenge to us, as we read in Mark 7:8 `You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions`. We have to make sure we`re clinging to the right thing.

To enable us to cling to that which is right we need to ensure that nothing is preventing us from doing so. `Let us strip off (let go of) every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress` (Hebrews 12:1).

Prayer: Lord Jesus, please help me to hold on more tightly to You, and all that`s good and helpful, and to let go of all that would stop me from doing so. Amen.

Today's Writer : Malcolm Wood
Annukka

Hunger

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 14.01.2014 19:07

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional January 14, 2014

Hunger

"Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord." Deuteronomy 8:2-3

Humans get hungry, and not just for food but for a whole range of desires and dreams. Hunger to have hopes fulfilled and longings answered seems to be built into us.

Sometimes our hunger gets us into trouble, and we wish we could curb our appetites. But in Deuteronomy 8:2, you'll be surprised to learn who gives us these longings. The Lord is the one who causes us to hunger. He is the one who has put within us our desires and yearnings. At first, this seems odd. Doesn't God know that the "hungries" often get us into trouble?

God has good reasons for giving us such large appetites. He has placed within us desires and dreams in order to test us and humble us, to see what is in our heart, to see whether or not we would follow Him. He causes us to hunger so that we might learn to feed on the Bread of Heaven, to live on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord.

To hunger is to be human, but to hunger for God is to feed on Him. Hunger and thirst after His righteousness and feed on Him in your heart. Taste and see that the Lord is good; it is He who will fill you to satisfaction.

I am prone to wander, Lord, I feel it. I'm prone to leave the God I love. Here's my heart, please take and seal it, seal it for Thy courts above.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

God's Provision in Your Life

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.01.2014 17:47

God's Provision in Your Life

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Give us this day our daily bread.” Matthew 6:11

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
A philosopher once said, “To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.”

I know what I want and I know what you want. I want to have some money in the bank and I want to have something there so that when tomorrow comes, then I don’t have to worry about it. Isn’t that what you want? We call that security.

Question: is that really security? Who is more secure – the man who has a warehouse full of stale bread that the rats or thieves can get, or the man who has a father who is a very, very rich baker?

ACTION POINT:
Begin your prayer time today with the Lord’s Prayer and ask Him to help you be content. Bow before Him in humble adoration of His provision in your life. Then share the Bread of Life with someone who is hungry today.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message

FacebookTwitter
Annukka

John 8:31-32

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.01.2014 17:48

Today's Verse for 01/15/2014

Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." — John 8:31-32

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

There are few things more coveted than freedom. People die for it. People pray for it. People strive for it. True freedom comes from knowing truth. Knowing truth ultimately comes by living in obedience to Jesus. Truth is not just something you think about or believe. Truth is something you do, you live. Jesus' teaching often ends with the exclamation: Blessed are you who do these things! Only by doing will we ever know the truth that liberates us.

Prayer

To the only true God be glory, honor, power and praise. Father I seek not only your presence in my daily life, but also your pleasure in the choices I make. Please teach me more of your truth as I pledge to live today in obedience to your word and your will. Through Jesus the living Word I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

Prescription for Weariness

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.01.2014 17:50

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional January 15, 2014

Prescription for Weariness

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."

1 Peter 5:7

That verse kept echoing in my mind as I powered my wheelchair through the group of disabled residents in a home for people with cerebral palsy. I clunked wheels with a boy in a bulky, oversized chair while trying to listen to a mentally handicapped girl explain her testimony. Another patient was leaning against the wall, whining to go back to his room.

A nurse wanted me to come and talk to a quadriplegic who was confined to his dormitory. I smiled, nodding at the nurse, and tried to keep my focus on the girl's testimony. It was useless. The nagging whine of the man against the wall shattered what little concentration I had left.

I was far from home and slightly irritated that my sponsors had overloaded my schedule. I had been up all day touring and talking at a rehab center, leading a disability workshop with pastors, and now I was bone-tired. I wanted to scrap the evening, head out the door, and get back to the hotel before they closed the restaurant.

I had to stop. I had to remember that Jesus was with me, moving ahead of my wheelchair, and delighting in the smiles of the faces of each disabled resident. In the midst of the clamor, I discovered His voice, whispering, "Come to me, Joni, you are weary and burdened. Let me give you rest." I paused and prayed silently, asking God to give me His rest. First Peter 5:7 was all the reminder I needed.

When weariness or anxiety threatens to overtake you, place your cares in the arms of Jesus. First Peter 5:7 was a simple prescription for weariness penned almost twenty centuries ago, and no one has improved on it since!

Thank You, Lord, for carrying my cares today!

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

The First Step to Setting Things Right

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 16.01.2014 18:04

The First Step to Setting Things Right

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
The Lord Jesus said, “Moreover if thy brother trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault” (Matthew 18:15).

You say, “He’s the one that did wrong. If he wants forgiveness let him come and ask for it.”

But Jesus said, “No, you go to him.”

Whether you are in the right or whether you are in the wrong, as a child of God, you are to go to that individual. Isn’t that what God did in the Garden of Eden? Adam and Eve sinned against God and the Bible tells us that God came looking for them: “Adam, where art thou?”

That was not the voice of a detective. That was the voice of a God Who pursues us to forgive us.

ACTION POINT:
Stop right now and ask God to show you if you have an unforgiving spirit toward someone. Then, in His power and strength, call that person and ask his/her forgiveness. It’s going to be impossible in your strength, but remember, God does the impossible.

FacebookTwitter
Annukka

Listen and You Will Find Life

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 17.01.2014 11:06

17 January, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Listen and You Will Find Life

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD.
Isaiah 55:8, NIV

As we start into the new year it’s very easy to set up plans for goals we want to achieve. Many write down resolutions that they plan to keep as they start the year, but lose the strength to carry on with what they’d set their minds to do.

Jesus said that you don’t know where the wind comes from and where it’s going, and so it is for those who are led by the Spirit. We need to let God take charge of our lives and lead us to where He wants us to go. God is inviting us to agree with His plans and purposes for our lives instead of ours.

Isaiah 55 is an invitation for all to come and listen to God. It’s a choice. By coming we will enjoy the finest of food. When we turn to Him, there’s always a promise of something better to come, no matter where we are, no matter what the situation we’re in.
The Lord calls to us to come with open ears to Him, to seek Him and change our ways.
Why? The word says that ‘His thoughts are higher than our thoughts and His ways higher than our ways’ (Isaiah 55:8). He knows what’s best for us.

This doesn’t mean that our lives will be easy, but it means that, when we come to Him and align ourselves with His will, plans and purpose, then His Word will come, and accomplish the purpose which He sent it for. His Word always produces fruit! That’s how faithful His Word is! In the end of the chapter, there’s a promise of joy and peace; a promise of situations being transformed (instead of thorns, cypress tree will grow, and where nettles were cypress will spring up).

I love the last verse because, when we’re surrendered to God’s perfect will, we go through the hardship and come out joyfully the other side. But more than that GOD IS GLORIFIED. The events in our lives, no matter how hard they are, will lead to God’s Glory, and people will see and understand His power and love. Trust Him. He knows what’s best for you.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I thank You that the plans You have for me are for good and not for evil, and they are to give me a future and hope. I can trust Your Word and promise in my life. Please take my plans for this year. I lay them down and ask You to speak to my heart. My ears are open to listen and know what You would like me to do. May Your Word produce fruit in my life. Amen.

Today's Writer : Joan Rono
Annukka

The Enemy's Strategy

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 17.01.2014 13:24

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional January 17, 2014

The Enemy's Strategy

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14

This morning I was having a rough start getting out of bed. My paralysis was giving me fits. I shook my head and growled, "This body is a pain... I hate it!"

Why was that so awful? Because the Enemy has a deep hatred of my flesh and blood and all I was doing was agreeing with him. He gets a charge when I bad-mouth my body. And he would like to get you to do the same.

Why? Because your body, even underneath wrinkles or fat, and despite the ravages of illness or old age, is made in the image of God. Your heart, mind, hands, and feet are stamped with the imprint of the Creator. Little wonder that the Devil wants you to be ashamed of your body!

This morning I had, once again, to plug my ears against the lies of the Tempter and remember that I am "fearfully and wonderfully made." I rehearsed the old, familiar truth that God has a plan for this flesh and blood of mine. That's why the Devil considers my body a threat-he understands that when I yield to God my body, albeit paralyzed, my feet and hands are powerful weapons against his forces of darkness.

The Devil is only a fallen angel. He is a deceiver. He is doomed for destruction. And until then, he has one goal in mind: your spiritual defeat, emotional malignment, and physical frustration. If he tries to get you to agree with him today... don't.

I praise You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made, O Lord.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org

l
Annukka

The Devil’s Most Prized Tool

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 18.01.2014 18:30

The Devil’s Most Prized Tool

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“Mine eyes are ever toward the Lord…” Psalm 25:15

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
There’s a story about the devil auctioning off his tools. He had a high price on pride, laziness, arrogance, hate, envy, and jealousy. But there was one tool that had a sign under it, “Not For Sale.”

Someone said, “What is that tool and why isn’t it for sale?”

“Well,” he said, “I can’t afford to get rid of that one. It’s my chief tool, discouragement. With this tool, I can pry open a heart, and once I get in I can do most anything I want.”

Do you want me to tell you why you get discouraged? I’ll give it to you in a nutshell—you’ve taken your eyes off God!

ACTION POINT:
Are you discouraged? If not, praise God! And find someone who is so that you can give them the encouragement they need in Jesus Christ. Maybe it’s your next-door neighbor, maybe it’s a co¬worker, maybe it’s your spouse.

FacebookTwitter
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum