tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Burning Brightly for the Glory of God

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.01.2014 19:31

Burning Brightly for the Glory of God

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush.” Exodus 3:2

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Major Ian Thomas has imagined Moses saying something like this when he encountered God in the burning bush, “Would you look at that bush? It just keeps on burning for God. I wish my life could burn for God like that and keep on burning.” Then Major Thomas imagined God replying, “Moses, you think this bush is so wonderful? Do you see that bush over there? I could do the same thing with it. Moses, it’s not the bush—it’s God in the bush. Any old bush will do.”

It’s not you! It’s not me! We are only the vessels of God’s anointing. As you surrender yourself to God today, He will fill you and use you for His glory.

ACTION POINT:
Surrender yourself to God today. And as you do, He will use you. Allow His flame to burn brightly for all to see.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message

FacebookTwitter
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Re: Devotional

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.01.2014 19:33

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional January 9, 2014

Sorry, Devil!

"'Does job fear God for nothing?' Satan replied. 'Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.' The Lord said to Satan, 'Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.'" Job 1:9-12

The Devil is constantly looking for people he can tempt to blame God for their circumstances. But the Lord is constantly ahead of the devil, giving His unique grace to every Christian facing unique problems.

It's as if the Devil says to God, "Look, if a woman lost her mother, her husband got fired, her house got robbed, all in the span of one week, I bet such a person would curse you." Then God would say, "You're wrong, Devil. Mrs. Brown went through that very set of circumstances and she trusted me. The victory is hers and the glory is mine."

Then the Devil, slightly miffed, would drum up another scenario. "Okay," the Devil argues, "let me get my hands on a young missionary. You give me permission to slap him with a strange illness. At the same time, take away his financial support. Surely, such a man would curse you, God." Then God would say, "Wrong again. Mr. Smith went through that very thing, and a few more problems at that. He gained victory by my grace. The glory is mine."

You could be sitting by the bedside of a dying loved one. In a courtroom answering unjust charges. Sweeping up glass on your kitchen floor. Whatever the circumstances, they are yours, and they are unique. How will you respond? And to whom will you give the glory?

The circumstances may be mine, but the glory is Yours, O Lord.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

Matthew 6:19-20

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.01.2014 09:59

Today's Verse for 01/09/2014

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not corrupt and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. — Matthew 6:19-20

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

Where do you hide your heart? What we most value is where we will find our heart. So it is an important question. You see, we can treasure riches, control, security, and relationships. Jesus reminds us that it is only by turning loose of the things that most of us keep as our treasures that we find what is truly treasure indeed.

Prayer

Majestic Father, I pray that out of the riches of your grace, you may help me find my treasure in you and nothing else. Today, I want to offer you all that I am and have, so that my life will be lived for your glory. In the name of Jesus, my example and treasure I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

God wants to do a new thing in your life

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.01.2014 11:54

10 January, 2014
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
God wants to do a new thing in your life

‘Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.’
Isaiah 43:18-19, NIV

I’m writing this on New Year’s Eve after reflecting on the past year and recounting the unchanging faithfulness of our Heavenly Father and the countless blessings that spring from His amazing grace, despite the ups and downs of life.

When you read this seed we will be a little way into the New Year. I believe the words of the above text, which were given to Israel when they were in captivity in Babylon, have much to say to us today. The Israelites had many victories in their past to which they repeatedly looked back. Now they are in captivity. All their previous victories were doing nothing to set them free. They needed a new work, and new victory, a new miracle – a renewed relationship with God. Only by letting go of the past could God do the new thing that was on His heart to do for them.

Past blessings can hold us back. We can want the same again but God is moving on. He is always doing a new thing. Past blessings are for a time gone by. There is new blessing for a new day. If we keep looking back we can’t see where we’re going.

Past failures can hold us back too. We may feel we’ve let God down in some way and we no longer sense His presence. We may feel other people have let us down and bitterness has taken root in our heart. We may even feel God has let us down (which He can never do) and our hearts have grown cold towards Him. We will bypass the new thing that God has for us, and the past will bind us, unless we come to the cross in humility to receive forgiveness for our waywardness and release those who have sinned against us.
Corrie ten Boom said, “Every experience God gives us, every person He puts into our lives, is the perfect preparation for the future that only He can see.” We must let go of the past so that God can open the door of our future. For the Israelites the desert meant hardship and danger; the wasteland was barren land where nothing could grow. God had plans for a new future for them and He would make a way where there seemed to be no way. This is the kind of God He is. When we let go of our past He can open the door to our future.
As we move into this New Year the question isn’t what has God done in the past? The question must be what does He want to do in my life right now and am I willing to give to Him unconditional obedience.

The following poem by Helen Mallicoat was given to her in the night. She has never put a copyright on it because she said, “It was a gift from God.” It is appropriate for the New Year.

I was regretting the past and fearing the future.
Suddenly my Lord was speaking.
My name is “I am.”
He paused. I waited; He continued –
When you live in the past with its mistakes and regrets
It is hard. I am not there.
My name is not “I was.”
When you live in the future with its problems and fears,
It is hard. I am not there.
My name is not “I will be”.
When you live in this moment it is not hard.
I am here. My name is “I am”

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for the security I have in You. Thank you for the gift of the Lord Jesus and for the presence and work of the Holy Spirit in my life. I bring my past to you and ask that you release me from anything that holds me back from the new thing You desire to do in and through me. I give to you all my yesterdays and all my future days. I pray that you will teach me to live one day at a time and to live every day for You and the work of Your kingdom. I pray in the precious name of Jesus. Amen.

Today's Writer : Margaret Silvester
Annukka

A Sacrifice of Praise

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.01.2014 13:08

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional January 10, 2014

A Sacrifice of Praise

"Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise-the fruit of lips that confess his name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." Hebrews 13:15-16

When I picture animals being slain in the Old Testament, I cringe at the thought that our God who created cute woolly lambs would use them in sacrifices. But that has nothing to do with why I'm glad Christ came to earth to die as the final and complete sacrifice.

My relief is minor compared to those who lived under the ceremonial law. Imagine their sigh of relief. At last, the Messiah had come and banished every drop of animal blood from every act of worship from then on until eternity. The Jews who came to Christ must have been overjoyed but also a bit mystified. After all, sacrifices were such an integral part of life. Without the need for a temple or an altar, what were they to do now? Hear these words as a Jewish Christian: "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise-the fruit of lips that confess his name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for which such sacrifices God is pleased" (Hebrews 13:15-16).

What great news! Our penchant to do something has provided an outlet! And rather than the sacrifice being burned and the blood poured out on the floor, our sacrifices have a destination. Our thanks lifted up to God and our doing good has an impact on the lives of those around us.

Praise be to God for His Son, the Lamb that was slain. And praise be to God for giving us the privilege of presenting a new and joyful sacrifice of praise.

Lord, thank You for Your gift of salvation and for Your precious Son. May my lips and my hands be ever ready to sacrifice a praise offering.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org

Annukka

Gathering in His Name

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.01.2014 14:00

Gathering in His Name

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“For where two or three are gathered together in My name, there am I in the midst of them.” Matthew 18:20

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
There is something wonderful about unity. I heard about a fellow who courted a girl by writing her a beautiful love letter every day for two years. He thought that would be a wonderful way to court her. Do you know what happened? She married the mail carrier! There is nothing like being there. There is nothing like personal contact. There is a sense in which Jesus Christ is present when His people gather that’s not in any other sense. You cannot get it the same way at home.

ACTION POINT:
Do you have a church home? If not, I encourage you to find one today. If church attendance isn’t important, I wonder why Satan works so hard to keep folks away. If you do have a church home, make a special effort this week to meet a new friend and find a need they have which you can meet.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message

FacebookTwitter
Annukka

God the Father and God the Creator

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.01.2014 17:01

God the Father and God the Creator

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“…that we may be partakers of the divine nature.” 2 Peter 1:4

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Have you heard the phrase, “The universal fatherhood of God and the universal brotherhood of men”? It sounds warm and fuzzy, but it is cold and barren of truth. God is not the Father of all people; God is the Father of those who are born into His family.

But you say, “But pastor, didn’t God create all human beings?” Yes. “And if God created all human beings, wouldn’t that make God the Father of all human beings?” No, it makes God the creator of all human beings. There’s a difference between fatherhood and creation. God created rats, roaches, buzzards, and rattlesnakes. He’s not their father. God becomes our Father not by creation, but by conception when we’re born into His family.

ACTION POINT:
Read the story of creation in Genesis—making the distinction between the creations of God and the Creator called God. Go on a nature walk and thank God that He rules over creation, causing the sun to shine, the rain to water the earth, and for you to have your next breath.

FacebookTwitter
Annukka

A Heavenly Perspective

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.01.2014 17:03

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional January 11, 2014

A Heavenly Perspective

"Jesus answered him, 'I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.'" Luke 23:43

My friend Debbie, a polio quadriplegic, recently died and went to be with the Lord. I said to a woman in church, "Just think, she's free of her paralysis and pain!" The woman shook her head "no" and reminded me that Debbie is "asleep" and won't join the Lord until the dead are resurrected.

That woman's frame of reference is limited. We operate within the confines of time and space in this world, but God exists outside of time. It's mind-boggling to think that He lives as the great "I Am," always in the present tense, always observing the past and present now. We hear Him laugh at the confines of time when He shares His frame of reference: "A day, to the Lord, is as a thousand years, and a thousand years is as a day."

Probably that's why the Lord Jesus could say to the thief on his dying day, "Today you will be with me in paradise."

Debbie is asleep in the Lord. But she doesn't know that. Debbie, along with the thief on the cross, is today with the Lord in paradise. A twinkling of an eye, for her, has already passed. Time, for Debbie, is removed. When she and King David, Adam and Eve, you and I (if we die before He comes), awake from our sleep, we will all think that only a flash of a moment has passed.

It takes faith to have this heavenly perspective. Faith that is the substance of things hoped for. Faith removes all intervening time. Exercise this kind of faith the next time a believing friend dies and goes to be with the Lord.

Lord of time and space, give me Your heavenly perspective.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

Psalm 118:5-6

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.01.2014 17:17

Today's Verse for 01/11/2014

In my anguish I cried to the Lord, and he answered by setting me free. The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? — Psalm 118:5-6

Thought

The beginning of the year has been a trying time for people I care about. Maybe it's been that way for you or those you love. My prayer for you, and for them, is that they may know the comfort of God's presence. Whether it's the popular little poem "Footprints" or the familiar "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me," the presence of the Lord is absolutely vital to standing up against our anguish! The Lord does long to be with us, especially at those moments when we feel most alone. He told us that by experiencing anguish, alone, by himself on the cross.

Prayer

I am thankful, O God, that you refused to be God from a safe distance. Because you came and felt what it was like to be abandoned, forsaken, and alone, I know I can trust that I will never be forsaken by you. Please give me a clearer sense of your presence with me in my life today, I pray through Jesus. Amen.

Annukka

Galatians 3:26-29

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.01.2014 17:00

Today's Verse for 01/12/2014

You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. — Galatians 3:26-29

Thought

One. Basic, simple, and easy to understand. When we become Christians through faith and baptism into Christ, we are made one with all other Christians around the world. Race, gender, and social status are gone. All that's left is One, the One, Jesus. Our lives are his and thus are connected to each other. Our destination is the same, heaven. Our family is the church. No barriers. No closed doors. We are one.

Prayer

Abba Father, thank you for adopting me into your family. May we be one on earth now, as we will be when we are all together around your throne in heaven. I pray for unity among all those who call upon your name and share your Spirit so the world may know there is a solution to conflict, strife and division. Through Jesus our Savior, I pray. Amen.

Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum