tuumis

Devotional

Valvoja: Annukka

Devotional

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 30.11.2013 18:11

Today's Verse for 11/30/2013

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. — Proverbs 31:30

Thought

Want to find a really good woman? Look for one that honors and reveres the LORD with all of her heart, soul, mind, and strength. Appearance, physical strength, and even personality can change and degrade. A woman whose heart is anchored and enlivened by the presence of God in her life will be a life-long blessing and a woman worthy of our praise, and the praise of her God.

Prayer

Father, once again, I want to thank you this week for the important women in my life who helped shape my faith and who helped me
find my way to you. Please help me to value godly women in ways that bless them, honor you, and build up your Church. In Jesus' name. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware.
Annukka

Daily Bread

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 30.11.2013 18:13

30 November, 2013
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Daily Bread

“Give us this day our daily bread…”
Matthew 6: 11, NIV

When I was 16 I worked at a local supermarket/grocery store in the North East of England. Three evenings a week after college I would race in late to start my shift on the checkouts. There was little time between college and work to find time to eat dinner, so guaranteed each day I would stand there wishing I had eaten a bigger lunch! The worst part of being hungry and pushing food along a conveyer belt was having to endure the smell of freshly baking bread wafting from the Bakery at the back of the store. It was torture to my hungry stomach, causing my body to protest with angry growls and aches.

I am sure today’s verse is familiar to you all. Many times I have asked the Lord to indeed “Give us this day our daily bread” always in my heart referring to my physical and financial needs. Today, I was reminded that this isn’t the only kind of daily bread we need.

John 6: 35 says “Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty”

Just like my stomach would ache at the smell of the bread, so too our spirits ache for daily time with the Lord. Time where we are real with Him and talk to Him about what is really going on inside. Time where we allow Him to talk to us and speak His truth into our hearts. Time where we read His word and allow His `living word’ to speak life to us on the inside. It is only here we find the sustenance and provision we need to face life, and to walk in His paths. Only here do we receive the strength that comes from Him and the peace that is a basic desire within us all.

At first, while I stood at the checkout my stomach was often loud and obnoxious in its cries of protest for food. As the time passed, I was still hungry but no longer was my stomach reacting and no longer was I even aware of the needs of my body. Maybe we have become a little like that in our walk with the Lord. We can become a little immune to the hunger for Him, and time in His presence. We draw instead from our own resources and face each day with reserves, or alternative provision that temporarily relieves our hunger. How foolish we can all be, to think we can survive without our daily bread!

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you that you provide all my needs. Thank you that you alone are the bread of my life. You alone are all that my heart needs each day. I am sorry for the times that I forget to spend time with you, or the busyness of life pushes you to a lesser priority. Please keep me aware of my need of you Jesus, and give me a desire and passion to always spend time each day with you. In Jesus name Amen.

Today's Writer : Cath Taylor
Annukka

Making Suffering Your Servant

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 30.11.2013 18:15

Making Suffering Your Servant

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with Him, that we may be also glorified together.” Romans 8:17

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
How do you enlist suffering to make it your servant?

First, you receive it as a gift from God. Job said, “The LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD” (Job 1:21b).

Second, rely on God’s grace, because with the gift comes His grace. 2 Corinthians 9:8 promises, “And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work.” God is going to be near you in a special way.

Finally, reflect on the glory of God. There is no greater Christian who ever lived than the Apostle Paul. His greatest motive in all he endured was the glory of God. His pain became a platform from which he declared the glory of God.

ACTION POINT:
Receive it as a gift. Rely upon God’s grace. Reflect upon God’s glory. Choose to glorify Him through it.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message
FacebookTwitter

Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

God's Sovereignty

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 30.11.2013 18:18

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional November 30, 2013

God's Sovereignty

"Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!"

Romans 11:33

God doesn't say, "Into each life a little rain must fall," and then aim a hose in earth's general direction to see who gets the wettest. Rather, He screens the trials that come to each of us, allowing only those that accomplish His good plan. He takes no joy in human agony. Nothing happens by accident, not even tragedy, not even sins committed against us. God is in control, and that's what I love about Him.

True, God's decrees allow suffering, but He doesn't "do" the suffering. He's not the one wielding the club. For instance, in Job's story, God exploited the deliberate evil of some very bad characters and the impersonal evil of some very bad storms without smothering anyone or anything.

These are deep waters: God exploits but doesn't smother? How does He pull it off? Welcome to the world of finite humans trying to comprehend an infinite God. What's clear is that God permits all sorts of things He doesn't approve of. He allows others to do what He would never do. He didn't steal Job's camels or entice bandits to wreak havoc; yet He didn't take His hand off the wheel for thirty seconds either.

This idea often doesn't sit well with people. But think of the alternative: What if God insisted on a hands-off policy toward the tragedies swimming your way? The devil would be unrestrained. Left to his own, he would make Jobs of us all. But God curbs evil. Evil can only raise its head where God deliberately backs away -- always for reasons that are specific, wise, and good but often hidden during this present life. (Estes)

Do your circumstances seem to be careening out of control? Remember that God is with you through it, loving you and caring...and allowing the details to play out exactly in accordance with His plan.

God, enable me to trust in Your love even when life seems wild and crazy and out of control.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

Staying Centred

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.12.2013 11:18

01 December, 2013
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Staying Centred

"But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him."
Jeremiah 18:4, NIV

I recently read an interesting fact about the art of pottery. When a potter is preparing to shape a new vessel from a lump of clay, he needs to ensure that the clay is placed exactly in the middle of the potter’s wheel. Once he starts shaping that pot and the wheel is spinning, the clay will respond to where it’s been placed on the wheel to start with. If the clay is off centre, the centrifugal force will sling it against the wall, or its shape will be marred by the fact that its balance is out. This illustration drives home the importance of where we position ourselves in our relationship with God, and how we respond to His shaping process in our lives.

The Word speaks of the fact that God’s the Potter and we’re the clay (Isaiah 64:8). A piece of clay doesn’t reason with the potter regarding what he’s planning. Isaiah 45:9 says, ‘Shall the clay say to him who fashions it, “What do you think you are making?”’ So often we question God about the way He created us to be. We’re unhappy with the image we see in the mirror, or dissatisfied with our abilities or lack thereof. We question God’s goodness and His plans for our lives when we see the flaws and struggles within us. All the while we forget that the great Potter is the One Who designed us and intricately wove us together in our mother’s womb. He shaped us and placed within us all that would be needed for us to bring glory to Him through our lives. ‘His divine
power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness’ (2 Peter 1:3).

Back to the lump of clay: In spite of the fact that God is the Potter and we’re the clay, He’s given us a free will. Like any good potter, God places and centres us on His potter’s wheel in order to make us into something He can use and display for His glory. We can CHOOSE to obey Him or not, we can CHOOSE to submit our lives to the Potter, or to rebel against His hands. He may be pressing and shaping and moulding us, and He may even be placing us inside a fiery furnace to strengthen our frame, just as a potter would bake his vessel to harden it. We’re even able to choose what kind of vessel we want to be: ‘But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honour and some for dishonour. Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honour, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work’ (2 Timothy 2:20-21).

If you want to be a vessel for honour, sanctified and useful to the great Potter, then trust His hands as He shapes and presses and moulds you. Stay centred on the potter’s wheel. Submit to the fiery furnace He may be placing you into to strengthen and refine you.

Prayer: Dear Lord, I desire to be a vessel for honourable use to You. Help me to remain centred on Your Potter’s wheel and to submit to Your hands that mould and shape my life, even when it’s uncomfortable and doesn’t make sense from my perspective. I trust You. Amen.

Today's Writer : Christel Baxter
Annukka

The Greatest Event in Human History

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.12.2013 15:07

The Greatest Event in Human History

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
This was written 700 years before the first Christmas. Isaiah dipped his pen in golden glory and wrote these words about the coming Prince of Peace, the Lord Jesus Christ. The child being born speaks of His virgin birth. The Son being given speaks of His eternality—He has been the Son of God, with the Father, through the ages.

Some years ago—you may remember it—man first stepped onto the moon. The President of the United States said, “The planting of human feet upon the moon is the greatest event in human history.”

No, the greatest event in human history was not planting human feet upon the moon but when God came to Earth and planted His feet here. We call that the incarnation—Almighty God stepped out of heaven, the ivory palaces, into this world of woe, and put His feet upon this earth. And that is the greatest event in human history!

ACTION POINT:
Share this with someone you know today: The first Christmas, God sent a package to earth, a gift of deity wrapped up in humanity. What a marvelous thing this is. It’s supernatural. Never forget this: Jesus is God in human flesh.

View or Share online | Discover Jesus | Read the Bible | LWF.org | Today's Message

FacebookTwitter
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Value Every Moment

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.12.2013 15:09

Value Every Moment

TODAY’S SCRIPTURE

“Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”
(Psalm 90:12, NIV)

TODAY’S WORD from Joel and Victoria

Have you stopped to consider that today is a special gift from God? Sometimes, our days can be so full and busy that we forget how fragile life really is. It can be easy to allow little things to creep in and steal our peace and joy. Maybe something doesn’t go our way, or someone says something upsetting. Even traffic can cause us to lose focus if we let it. We have to remember that each day is a gift. If we choose to focus on what’s wrong, we’ll miss the blessing that each day has to offer.

I encourage you today; don’t let the precious moments of life pass you by. Don’t wait for holidays and birthdays to show people that you care. Remember, each day is unique and irreplaceable. You have been given time that can be invested or wasted; hours that can be used or misused. That’s why the psalmist prayed to God, “Teach us to number our days.” He was saying, “Teach us to value every moment we’ve been given.” As you daily keep a proper perspective, you’ll gain a heart of wisdom. You’ll draw closer to God and experience the full blessing that He has for you each and every day!

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

Father, thank You for the gift of today. I choose to focus on the blessing of each moment instead of allowing the little things to steal my joy. Keep me close to You always as I surrender every area of my heart and mind to You in Jesus’ name. Amen.

— Joel & Victoria Osteen
Annukka

Pearl of Great Price

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.12.2013 15:11

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional December 1, 2013

Pearl of Great Price

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."

Matthew 13:45-46

One day my father-in-law, Dad Tada, presented me with a family heirloom, a string of genuine pearls. He told me they had been harvested in Japan, not far from where he lived much of his life. I was captivated by the milky, soft glow of each perfect pearl. Ken draped the pearls around my neck, and I wheeled to a mirror.

As I admired them, Dad Tada explained how a pearl is produced. A tiny bit of sand lodges in the flesh of an oyster and becomes an irritating intrusion. Unable to expel it, the oyster covers the particle with layer after layer of a milky secretion until the irritation has become smooth, round, and acceptable. It also, inadvertently, becomes a precious gem.

An Oriental pastor once wrote, "Pearls, unlike other jewels, are drawn from

the animate creation. (Other jewels are made from rocks and crystals and are mined out of the earth....) Pearls are produced by life -- a life which has overcome the working of death."

Jesus, the Pearl of Great Price, is unlike any other. He is the precious gem set apart from the rest. He lived in such a way that He overcame the working of death. He is superior because His love poured forth from a life wounded by pain. He has become our example. We experience irritants in our lives, but God gives layer after layer of grace until the irritation becomes smooth and acceptable. What was an intrusion becomes a precious gem for all to admire...and for God to receive glory.

Pull your string of pearls (imitation or not) from your jewelry box and hang them over the mirror above your dresser for a few days. They will brighten your bedroom and your appreciation for Jesus, the One and Only Pearl.

My wounded Savior, teach me through Your example to let intrusions in my life become pearls. Remind me how You transform pain into beauty.

Blessings,

Joni and Friends

www.joniandfriends.org
Annukka

Matthew 1:20

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.12.2013 16:40

Today's Verse for 12/01/2013

But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. — Matthew 1:20

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

Reassurance beyond understanding! That's the beginning of the Christ story for Joseph. What he cannot understand and what he had no part in creating, will now be the groundbreaking journey of his own faithful and generous heart. He will be the human daddy to the Savior of the world. He will live the rest of his life knowing that a miracle happened with Mary without his input or involvement. His faith, and God's use of him in this story, should awaken each of us to the incredible possibilities that God may have in store for us. Why not use this December to re-awaken your heart to the Holy One, born Jesus of Nazareth.

Prayer

Father, I have long admired Joseph for his trust in you — a trust that helped him deal with what he could not understand. Now I come, with wild-eyed Joseph excitement and bewilderment to be reminded again of the miracle of your Son and my Savior. Please make him real to me as I seek to know him better. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Annukka

Matthew 1:21

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 02.12.2013 15:28

Today's Verse for 12/02/2013

She [Mary] will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins. — Matthew 1:21

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse

Thought

Jesus. Yeshua. Joshua of the spiritual world. Mary's boy, God's Son, comes to help us tear down the strongholds Satan has built in our lives. He comes to bring peace to our troubled spirits and joy to our nights of despair. He comes to not only minister to us and bless us, he comes to do what no one else could do: he comes to deliver us from our sins, those spiritual blemishes, rebellions, mistakes, transgressions, and sins. Praise God! A deliver who actually conquered what we could not to make us what we are not — pure, perfect, and holy children of God, like him. (cf. Col. 1:21-23)

Prayer

Thank you, Father, for your forgiveness, cleansing, and transformation given to me by Jesus and the Holy Spirit. In Christ's name I pray. Amen.

Annukka

Seuraava

Paluu English part of Forum