tuumis

This and That

Valvoja: Annukka

African Tourists See the Samaria 'CNN Lies About'

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 19.08.2015 21:22

Watch: African Tourists See the Samaria 'CNN Lies About'

African Christians visit Shiloh testifying to ancient Jewish presence, vow to warn their nations about media lies on the conflict.

By Eliran Aharon
First Publish: 8/18/2015, 10:28 PM

Arutz Sheva got the chance to speak with a group of 53 Christian African tourists on Tuesday, who came to visit Israel for a one-week tour guided by The Africa-Israel Initiative and while in the Holy Land made a stop in Samaria.

Ntayomba Emmanuel of Rwanda said that this is his eighth visit to Israel, and when in the Holy Land "I learn the Bible better, and I understand the Bible."

Arutz Sheva caught up with the group in Shiloh located in northern Samaria, which as Emmanuel pointed out was the site of the first Tabernacle, the precursor to the Holy Temple in Jerusalem.

The visitors hailed from various countries, including Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ghana, South Africa, Nigeria, Congo and Madagascar, and they were led by guides from Norway.

"When you come to Israel you see different stories from what you see on CNN, in newspapers, you see different things, because Jews here they stay peaceful with Palestinians," said Emmanuel, who revealed that during the trip he saw Palestinian Arabs harass Jews.

"But when we hear the news they tell us that Jews always fight Palestinians which is not true. And when we go back we have to tell our nations that it's a lie."

The tour was guided by Pastor Jostein and Margun Skevik, who spoke about their organization, The Africa-Israel Initiative.

The pastor said the group works on two levels, first with parliaments in Africa to build support for Israel, and secondly with African churches to educate and bring them on tours of Israel.

Jostein Skevik said, "we don't believe in a two-state solution. We believe that G-d gave this country to the Jewish people. We believe in one state."

"We also believe that there's room here for Arabs and Jews to live here together in peace. But for that to happen the Arabs have to recognize the state of Israel. ...We want the international community to see that Israel is not occupying."

Speaking about the importance of ancient Shiloh, he noted that "these stones are talking, this is proof of Jewish presence in this country for thousands of years."
Annukka

Palestinians Flock to Islamic State

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.08.2015 15:03

Palestinians Flock to Islamic State

by Khaled Abu Toameh
August 21, 2015 at 5:00 am

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6375/ ... amic-state
Send

Comment

The terror group Islamic State has become extremely popular among Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Four recent public opinion polls show that at least one million Palestinians support the Islamic State.

The Palestinians' two governments, Hamas and the Palestinian Authority (PA), have good reason to be worried about the Islamic State. In recent weeks, Islamic State spokesmen have issued threats against both the PA and Hamas, accusing them of "collaboration" with the "Zionist entity."

Christian activist Sam Butrous noted that the widespread support for Islamic State among Palestinians is a sign of increased extremism and a denial of Christians' rights in the Holy Land.

The PA and Hamas can only blame themselves for the surge of Palestinians joining the Islamic State. The two governments allow anti-Western incitement in their mosques and media outlets. Their leaders regularly glorify and endorse Palestinians who carry out terror attacks against Israelis, encouraging others to follow suit. If these Palestinians are unable to attack Israel from the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, they travel to Syria and Iraq to join the jihad against Israel's allies, namely the U.S. and other Western countries.

Palestinian leaders cannot evade responsibility for inspiring dozens of Palestinians to join the Islamic State. The fiery rhetoric of these leaders and ongoing incitement against Israel and the West are further radicalizing Palestinians and driving them into the Islamic State's open arms.

Hardly a week passes without another report of a Palestinian killed while fighting for the Islamic State terror group.

The reports have raised deep concern among many Palestinians living in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. A recent report estimated that some 100 Palestinians have already joined Islamic State. Other reports claim that the number is much higher.

According to the report, most of the Palestinians who joined the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria are from the Gaza Strip. Another 1000 Palestinian men are believed to be preparing to join Islamic State, but have been unable to fulfill their dream for various reasons, the report revealed.

It is no surprise that most of the Palestinians who have joined the Islamic State are from the Gaza Strip, which has been under the control of Hamas since 2007.

In the past year, various reports have suggested that Islamic State and its supporters have managed to infiltrate the Gaza Strip, where they pose a major threat to Hamas's rule over the area, home to some 1.6 million Palestinians.

Earlier this year, Islamic State supporters organized their first public appearance on the streets of Gaza City, where they called for an Islamic army to destroy Israel and the "enemies of Islam."

Palestinians waving Islamic State flags attempt to storm the French Cultural Center in Gaza City, in January 2015. (Image source: ehna tv YouTube screenshot)

Earlier this week, the Islamic State informed the Yehia family from the West Bank city of Jenin that their son, Said, had been killed while fighting for the terror group near Aleppo in Syria.

The family was told that Said had joined the Islamic State seven months ago. Said's family members said he told them he was travelling to Europe to look for work. Later, however, they learned that he had headed to Syria to fight for the Islamic State.

The two strangers who arrived at the family's home even provided Said's parents and brothers with a photograph of Said's dead body.

In recent months, at least four Palestinians from the Gaza Strip were also reportedly killed while fighting for the Islamic State.

One of them, Abed al-Elah Kishta, 29, of the southern town of Rafah in the Gaza Strip, was killed while fighting for the Islamic State in eastern Libya. Weeks before he was killed, Kishta contacted his family to inform them that he had joined the group.

The second Palestinian from the Gaza Strip was identified as Musa Hijazi, 23. His father, Hassan, said that his son was killed while fighting for the Islamic State in the Iraqi city of Fallujah. The Islamic State later mourned Hijazi as one of its martyrs, referring to him by his nickname Abu Mu'men al-Maqdisi.

A third Palestinian was identified as Wadi Washah, 21, from the Jebalya refugee camp in the Gaza Strip. Washah's family said they were shocked to hear about his death while fighting for the Islamic State in Syria. The family said their son had previously joined Palestinian Islamic Jihad before escaping the Gaza Strip through a smuggling tunnel along the border with Egypt. Wadi's father said that his son had travelled to Syria on instructions from Islamic State-affiliated salafi-jihadi leaders in Gaza. According to the father, Wadi had told him that he had managed to kill dozens of Iranians in Syria.

The fourth Palestinian was identified as Ahmed Badwan, 26, nicknamed Abu Tarek al-Ghazawi, of the Al-Bureij refugee camp in the Gaza Strip. Sources close to the family said that Badwan had left the Gaza Strip through a smuggling tunnel run by Hamas, and had first joined the Islamic State in Syria, before moving to the group's branch in Iraq. He was killed in a U.S.-led coalition airstrike on an Islamic State base in Iraq, the sources said.

Although the number of Palestinians who have joined the Islamic State remains relatively low, it is evident that the terror group has become extremely popular among Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. Four public opinion polls published a few weeks ago showed that at least a million Palestinians support the Islamic State.

The polls found that 24% of the Palestinians hold positive views about the Islamic State. Given that there are 1.8 million Palestinians in the Gaza Strip and another 2.7 million in the West Bank, this means that there are more than one million Palestinians who support Islamic State.

Commenting on the results of the polls, Christian activist Sam Butrous noted that the widespread support for the Islamic State among Palestinians is a sign of increased extremism and a denial of Christians' rights in the Holy Land. "Apparently, 20% of the Palestinians have no problem with expelling their Christian brothers and destroying their churches and turning them into mosques," he wrote. "This is what the Islamic State terror group is already doing in areas under its control."

Christians are not the only ones who should be worried about the Islamic State's growing influence in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. The Palestinians' two governments, Hamas and the Palestinian Authority (PA), also have good reason to be worried. In recent weeks, Islamic State spokesmen have issued threats against both the PA and Hamas, accusing them of "collaboration" with the "Zionist entity."

But the PA and Hamas can only blame themselves for the surge of Palestinians joining the Islamic State. The two governments allow anti-Western incitement in their mosques and media outlets. Their leaders regularly glorify and endorse Palestinians who carry out terror attacks against Israelis, thus encouraging other Palestinians to follow suit. And if these Palestinians are unable to carry out attacks against Israel from the West Bank and Gaza Strip, they travel to Syria and Iraq to join the jihad against Israel's allies, namely the U.S. and other Western countries.

Palestinian leaders in the West Bank and Gaza Strip cannot evade responsibility for inspiring dozens of Palestinians to join the Islamic State. The fiery rhetoric of these leaders, in addition to the ongoing incitement against Israel and the West, is further radicalizing Palestinians and driving them into the Islamic State's open arms.

Follow Khaled Abu Toameh on Twitter
Annukka

Re: This and That

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.08.2015 20:13

A Modern Day Oskar Schindler

Steve Maman has saved 130 Christian and Yazidi women. His Jewish ethics are driving him to do more. An Aish.com exclusive interview.
by Yvette Alt Miller

"The defining moment for me was when ISIS (released) pictures of children crammed up in a change dressed up in orange jumpsuits while outside a soldier held a flame to them. I said to myself, 'Steve, you're going to act.'"

By now we've all seen the photos of prisoners and refugees; we've each read of the atrocities unfolding across the world. For most of us, the daily parade of misery and unthinkable brutality we see in the news can feel numbing: when we read of tragedies unfolding thousands of miles away, it can seem natural to feel that nothing we personally can do possibly could make any difference.

”I cannot and will not stand idle,"

For one Jewish businessman in Montreal, averting his eyes wasn't an option. Steve Maman, a 42-year old father of six, would seem at first to have little if anything to do with the Iraqi victims of kidnapping and slavery a world away in Iraq. A crystal wholesaler and antique car dealer and father of young children, Maman might be forgiven for feeling that he was too busy to try to help.

In an Aish.com exclusive interview, Maman explains that doing nothing simply wasn't an option: "It's my Jewish education." As a child, Maman attended Montreal's Maimonides school which stressed the interconnectedness of all Jews and all people. When Maman and his classmates learned about the Holocaust, he recalls learning "it didn't happen to the Ashkenazi community – it happened to the Jewish community overall. My teachers removed the barriers, teaching that we are all connected. This is what prompted me to recognize the pain that was being inflicted on those people and feel a visceral connection with the Christians and Yazidis in Iraq.”

Steve Maman shaking hands with the Canadian Prime Minister.Steve Maman shaking hands with the Canadian Prime Minister.

Maman takes the Torah's obligation to push ourselves to help others very seriously. "I said to myself, I cannot and will not stand idle," Mamon explains, echoing the Torah's injunction "you shall not stand by the blood of your brother" (Leviticus 19:16). "As I was always taught, ‘'One who saves a life, saves a world'" (Mishna Sanhedrin 4.5).

The situation of Christian minorities and Yazidis, a mostly Kurdish ethnic group with its own distinctive religion, in Iraq is desperate. After ISIS forces took over the region around Mosul and Sinjar in August 2014, they massacred and enslaved the many non-Muslims who lived in these areas. Over 9,000 Yazidis were executed, many by beheading. According to the UN Office of the High Commissioner on Human Rights, 7,000 Yazidis were enslaved. Boys taken as slaves face forced conversion to Islam and brainwashing to join ISIS. ISIS fighters distributed female "slaves" as a spoil of war, and these women and girls face horrific abuse: malnourished, kept in cages, and sexually brutalized in almost unthinkable conditions.

In the past year, some of them have escaped; others have been bought and freed. In fact, a whole business has grown up, made up of Arab and Kurdish brokers who buy the freedom of female slaves – often at the behest of their families – and sell them to relatives who release them. While some Yazidi and Christian "slaves" can be bought for as little as $125, the middlemen who do the buying and selling take a huge cut, and it costs between $1,000 and $3,000 to buy the freedom of one of ISIS's slaves. While many have been freed, an estimated 2,700 female slaves remain.

In the words of Cannon Archer White, formerly pastor of St. George's Church in Baghdad and today the head of a foundation to help resettle Yazidis and Christians in non-ISIS-controlled areas of Iraq, there is no easy way to free these girls. "You have to buy them out. There's no other way." It is these helpless, brutalized girls that Steve Maman has resolved to free by buying them out of servitude.

In December 2014, Maman set out to raise funds to buy their freedom, and set up a CYCI-The Liberation of Christian and Yazidi Children in Iraq. On the ground in Iraq, CYCI works closely with Cannon White and his local foundation to facilitate the ex-slaves' transitions to freedom. Once released, the girls are relocated to safe areas in Kurdish-controlled Iraq and, if possible, reunited with their families. In addition to buying their freedom, CYCI also helps provide them with desperately needed food, shelter and medical care. For those with no more family living, CYCI provides assistance to relocate and start anew. So far, CYCI has freed 120 women and girls.

At first, virtually all of CYCI's funds came from Montreal's Sephardi Jewish community.

At first, virtually all of CYCI's funds came from Montreal's Sephardi Jewish community, as Maman turned to his friends and business contacts with his plan. Maman characterizes his community as "remarkably generous." Kelly Amram, one of the volunteers making CYCI work, described the fundraising: "People are donating as if it were their own children" and explains why: "When we say 'never again' as Jews, we really mean 'Never again'."

Seeking additional funding, Maman approached 60 Christian organizations across Canada – and was ignored by each one. In recent weeks, as word about CYCI and Steve Maman has spread, donations have begun coming in from diverse groups and people around the world. Donors in Ireland, Germany, Britain, Australia and the United States have started funding CYCI, which has seen its funds swell to $450,000. Rabbi Saadia Elhadad, and early backer of Maman's work, spe aks for many in the organization when he says, "I would like to see more and more people around the world emulate this kind of action." Maman is now hoping to find a celebrity to back his cause, and hopes to raise $5 million so he can free each remaining slave in Iraq.

Asked how he finds time to work on CYCI while running his business and spending time with his family, Maman, laughs: "I steal time that doesn't exist. I don't sleep any more, I sleep a few hours a day. (And) I have a very strong wife." Though it isn't easy, Maman shares something he has learned: "We can put aside a little bit of ourselves to save other people." Meeting Cannon White (whom Maman contacted after reading about him online), and being in a position to set up CYCI, Maman says was Divine providence, and he feels fortunate to be in a situation where he can help. Praying and having faith help give him the energy he needs these days, Maman explains.

Steve Maman family

In a recent post on Facebook, Maman tried to explain what motivates him. Underneath a gorgeous picture of his family, he explained:

"I received many messages of people wondering why I founded and am so involved (in) 'CYCI-The Liberation of Christian and Yazidi Children of Iraq'. Many also wondered who we are and what we do. Well, this picture of my family sums it up. This is who we are and we do it for the reasons you see on every face in this photo. Every Yazidi or Christian child, innocent, held hostage in Iraq is entitled to such a family photo, and smiles. If we do not assist them in this time of hardship, they will never get a chance at having such a family portrait. The only way to make a difference is to share our CYCI efforts and achievements, as well as donating any amount. Act now, don't remain a spectator to the horrors they are enduring."

Some have called Steve Maman a modern day Oskar Schindler, referring to the German industrialist who saved 1,200 Jews during the Holocaust. Although he says he's "two planets away" from Schindler's level, Maman credits Schindler with inspiring him, as well as Sir Nicholas Winton, a British Jew who recently died, in July 2015, who brought 669 Jewish children to Britain from Czechoslovakia on the eve of World War II.

Maman says "I never planned for this to take off the way it did. I never called myself a Jewish Schindler or a Canadian Schindler...The only way I'm able to help children is to get help from others. I realize it was probably God who put me in this position" to help. All he did, Maman insists, is internalize the timeless Jewish lesson he was taught in school: "The Torah teaches the laws of assistance (to captives). I removed the names and borders that separate people... I helped people without labels." To those who criticize his paying money to ISIS to free slaves, Maman points out that each time people fill their car with gas they are giving money to regimes that encourage terrorism; each time Maman pays to free a Christian or Yazidi girl, he says, "I'm getting lives back."

Maman is not the only Jew to mobilize his community to help Iraqi Christians. In 2015, Lord George Weidenfeld, the British publishing magnate who escaped Nazi-occupied Austria from Britain with the help of a Christian group, explaining "I had a debt to repay," established the "Safe Havens Fund" to help rescue and resettle Christian families fleeing ISIS from Iraq and Syria. He hired a private plane to carry the first group – 150 Syrian Christians – to Poland in July 2015. Aided by other Jewish donors and the Jewish National Fund, Weidenfeld has pledged to rescue over 2,000 Christian families eventually.

To help support Steve’s rescue work, visit www.gofundme.com/liberatoin
Annukka

The IKEA Murders: Sweden in Crisis

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.08.2015 20:18

Annukka

The Iran Deal: How Christians Choose Sides

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.08.2015 20:20

Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum