tuumis

This and That

Valvoja: Annukka

Put These Fat-Melting Foods On Your Plate

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 14.01.2014 09:55

Put These Fat-Melting Foods On Your Plate

By Dr. Rovenia Brock - February 1, 2012

It happens to the best of us. One day you look behind you and wonder aloud, "Who's that following me back there?" That's what I said to myself the day I realized that my behind was spreadin' like rumors! The good news is we can have our curves without the rolls and the strategy is easier than you may think. Here are my top four foods to get the fat-blasting power you never knew you had:

1. First, snack on nuts. I like peanuts and peanut butter for this tip because these nuts, though high in fat, are the right mix of protein and fiber to keep you satiated (full and satisfied) for longer periods of time, which prevents over-eating. But that's not all: They're also the best source of the fat-melting amino acid arginine, which can reduce body fat by as much as 64 percent. You see, the arginine not only reduces body fat but it also helps to boost your body's lean muscle mass, which revs up metabolism. For a sweet and savory snack, slather 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on chilled Granny Smith apple wedges. Yum!
Try these easy nut recipes:
Chili and Lime Seasoned Nuts
Fruit and Nut Bites
Spicy Peanut Noodles with Green Beans

2. Next, add cold-water fish like salmon or mackerel to your lunch-time salads, breakfast omelets or have as the main entrée with dinner. They're both chock-full of fat-blasting omega-3 fatty acids, which boost your metabolism. The omega3's found in salmon and mackerel increase the body's enzyme levels in the mitochondria, the energy powerhouse of your cells.
Try these healthy fish dinners:
Salmon Tacos with Mango-Avocado Salsa
Quinoa Salmon Cakes with Dill and Fennel
Mackerel with Cucumber Salad

3. Get with the grains. Add noodles, such as buckwheat, shirataki and kelp noodles, to your diet for their uber fat-burning potential. They're high-fiber, high-protein powerhouses that keep you full and are tasty, too! Shirataki noodles, made from the Asian Konjack yam, swell to 17 times their size once consumed, are higher in fiber than any other food and -- wait for it -- calorie-free!
Try the noodles in these recipes:
Noodles in Hot Ginger Broth
Chinese Chicken Noodle Soup
Soba Noodle Salad

4. Lean on lentils. Whether red, yellow or green, lentils get my vote for fat-burning potential because of their soluble fiber content, which also makes them a great heart disease prevention food. And fiber isn't they only thing lentils contribute -- they're a rich protein source, with other nutrients that are slowly digested so they prevent the cycle of blood sugar spikes that cause weight gain.
Try these hearty lentil dishes:
Lemony Lentil Salad
Red Lentil Soup with Turnip and Parsley
Rice & Lentil Salad

At the end of the day we have to love ourselves enough to accept every part of who we are, even if there's more to our "packaging" than we'd like. Start by putting good food on your inside and with a little work, the outside will follow.
Annukka

Michael Oren joins staff of CNN

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.01.2014 18:21

Michael Oren joins staff of CNN

Former Israeli ambassador to the US Micharl Oren has joined the international news organization CNN as an analyst and contributor. Oren, who also had a distinguished academic career before his government service, told The Jerusalem Post that he saw the new job at CNN as a chance to present "balanced but insightful commentary on pressing Israeli and Middle East issues. In terms of getting the message across, it is quite a large and diverse audience."
Annukka

SHARON'S GIANT SHADOW

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 17.01.2014 09:03

SHARON'S GIANT SHADOW

Ariel Sharon at the ICEJ's Feast of Tabernacles

Ariel Sharon speaking at the ICEJ's Feast of Tabernacles celebration

It was a long, sad farewell for Ariel Sharon, the Israeli military legend turned politician of great consequence. Israel’s eleventh prime minister had laid in a coma for the past eight years. Many had written their eulogies long ago – some adoring, some scathing, but most with the deep respect befitting a man who had helped define his time.

Sharon finally passed away on 11 January 2014, after failing to regain consciousness following a massive stroke that prematurely ended his premiership in early 2006. Back then, he was poised to win re-election as prime minister by an expected landslide. His campaign platform was simple. He reminded Israelis that he was one of the few giants left from the nation’s founding generation and asked them to simply trust him in drawing the final borders of Israel.

Short in stature but casting a giant shadow – such were the contradictions of Ariel Sharon.

In his long and eventful military and public career, Sharon carved out a complex legacy that left everyone with something to either love or hate. The Israeli Right revered his aggressiveness on the battlefield, while the Left recoiled when it seemed he went too far. The settlers considered him the ‘father’ of their movement, only to turn on him when he forcibly uprooted some of their communities. Meanwhile, the doves drove him out of government and wrote him off for good, only to turn back to Sharon when they needed their own father figure to steer the nation through the bloodiest of intifadas.

All Israelis admired his bravery and military genius. He was severely wounded and left for dead in the critical Battle for Latrun in 1948. He repeatedly outfoxed, outflanked and overran larger Arab forces in Israel’s wars of 1956, 1967 and 1973. He was a pioneer of the fledgling field of counter-terrorism. His military manoeuvres and strategies are still studied and taught in war colleges worldwide.

Leveraging his storied army career, Brig. Gen. Sharon entered politics and immediately made an impact, playing midwife to two small right-wing factions that would unite to become the powerful Likud party. But after spearheading the disastrous venture into Lebanon in 1982, Sharon was forced to resign as defence minister and had little hope of ever rising again. Yet he fought to defend his name in a prolonged libel suit against TIME and slowly charted his comeback. It ended in a remarkable triumph, as he won a sweeping victory in 2001 amid the carnage of Oslo’s collapse.

Once in high office, many of his nationalist followers expected Sharon to stick to a hawkish agenda. But noting that “things look different from up here”, Sharon gradually made a turn to the center.

While squelching the armed Palestinian uprising, he won re-election in 2003 and proceeded to carry out the platform of his opponent, building a security fence around Judea/Samaria and evacuating all Jewish settlers and soldiers from Gaza. The Right screamed betrayal, the Left belatedly embraced him. And then came the stroke that finally felled the man so invincible in battle.

If you asked Sharon who he really was, he would say that he was first a farmer, and only then a soldier and lastly a politician. I know this because I once had the opportunity to ask him. He loved the Land of Israel and always returned to ranching after every battle, election campaign and cabinet meeting.

I also was curious where Sharon was when Egyptian president Anwar Sadat came to Jerusalem to finally make peace with Israel. His answer was illuminating.

Sharon said he was on the tarmac at Ben-Gurion Airport but his low Knesset ranking at the time had him way down the receiving line. Yet when Sadat descended from the plane and was greeted by prime minister Menachem Begin and other top ministers, he kept asking, “Where is Sharon? Where is Sharon?”

When the two finally shook hands, Sadat remarked, “I could not defeat you on the battlefield, so I have now come to make peace.”

Peace through strength – that is the enduring legacy of one of Israel’s greatest modern-day heroes.

By David Parsons, ICEJ Media Director
Annukka

Healed from Cancer

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 18.01.2014 10:45

Healed from Cancer

Last Friday, on one of Israel's main news channels (Channel 2), a miraculous story of healing was documented. In the leg of an Arab Christian woman (Therese Daoud) from the north of Israel, a cancerous tumor the size of an orange was found. The doctors concluded that her leg must be amputated. However, the surgery was canceled three different times and this led her to believe that she should not go forward with the medical intervention, but to instead pray. Five months later she returned to see her doctor for the next screening and they discovered that her tumor had completely disappeared. The Doctor recounted, "I have not seen anything like this or heard of such a thing." Daoud told Israel television, "It's a gift from God".
Annukka

8-year-old boy saves 6 in blaze before dying while trying to

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.01.2014 19:17

8-year-old boy saves 6 in blaze before dying while trying to save another

By Mike Krumboltz, Yahoo News
16 hours ago

Yahoo News

A fourth-grade boy died in a fire in his grandfather's Penfield, N.Y., trailer home after helping to save six of his relatives. Tyler Doohan, 8, had returned to the blaze in an attempt to help rescue his disabled uncle, reports the Democrat & Chronicle.

Tyler, his uncle Steve Smith and his grandfather Louis J. Beach died in the inferno this past weekend.

According to the Democrat & Chronicle, citing investigators, Tyler took it upon himself to wake his sleeping relatives once he detected the fire at around 4:45 a.m. on Monday. Two of the people Tyler helped save were children, ages 4 and 6. Tyler's body was found near the bed of his deceased uncle.

"The kid has more guts than I know of," Joseph Breyette, Tyler's uncle, told WHEC-TV. “I mean, to run back in there and go through what he went through to try to save his uncle — what can you say for the kid? He was a great kid.”

Breyette also spoke to 13-WHAM about the tragedy.

"It’s still hard to grip or even put your hands around it, you know," he said, "I don’t know why or what the plan of life is.”

WHEC-TV spoke with Richard Stutzman Jr., interim superintendent for Tyler's school.

"Tyler was a very caring young man, always had a smile on his face," Stutzman said. "Actually I just got an email from one of our staff members, who when they heard Tyler had gone back in, or continued to help his grandfather get out of the burning building, they were not surprised at all. That's the type of young man he was, and in my heart and the heart of East Rochester, he's a true hero.”

Investigators believe the fire was caused by an electrical problem, according to the Democrat & Chronicle. No foul play is suspected. Some witnesses reportedly expressed concern about the number of people living in the home.

Those who survived the fire were taken to a local hospital where they were treated for non-life-threatening injuries, according to the Democrat & Chronicle.
Annukka

Finland-Israel relations strengthened

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.01.2014 18:59

Finland-Israel relations strengthened

Relations between Israel and the Scandinavian country of Finland got a little warmer this week when it was announced that the Finnish Defense Forces have contracted Petach Tikva based Fibrotex Technologies to deliver €35,000,000 worth of tents and camouflage equipment specially designed for arctic environments. "We feel great pride to have been awarded this strategic project, with its leading-edge technical requirements," said Adi Blum, Owner and CEO of Fibrotex.
Annukka

Award for Hareidi Soldier Who Fought in Israel's Major Wars

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.01.2014 19:23

Award for Hareidi Soldier Who Fought in Israel's Major Wars

by Maayana Miskin Award for Veteran Hareidi Soldier

A hareidi man who fought in every major war in Israel has won an award for a book that tells his life’s story. Lieutenant-Colonel (res.) Yaakov Laniado will be given a prize for new literature for his book B’Sherut Ha’am Vehamoledet (lit. In the Service of the Nation and the Homeland).

Laniado shared his unique life story in an interview with Arutz Sheva, including his family’s miraculous escape from a Muslim pogrom, his captivity in Jordan, and his undercover mission in Syria.

His family’s involvement in what he terms the "Jewish-Muslim" conflict began before his birth, in 1929, Laniado began. He noted that he does not use the term “Jewish-Arab conflict” because as he sees it, the conflict is a religious struggle, not an ethnic one.

“My parents were in Hevron, and they were saved by a miracle,” he related. During that year a vicious Muslim pogrom took place in the ancient city, leaving several dozens of Jews dead and many more wounded. The remaining Jews were forced to flee the ancient city for their lives, ending an unbroken Jewish presence in the city which had lasted for thousands of years.

An Arab neighbor offered to help his parents, along with several others, by leading them to another man who would hide them. However, during their escape his parents became separated from their one-month-old baby. They went back to get him, and found themselves alone and surrounded by a murderous mob.

The young couple and their baby took shelter in a cave. Over the course of the night they heard the sounds of the massacre around them – including the voices of some in the mob saying that they knew Jews were hiding nearby, but that they would ransack nearby homes before killing them.

The family was discovered the next morning by a British captain, who led them to safety. Like other Jews in Hevron, they were forced to relocate after the massacre; the Laniados went to Jerusalem, where the family expanded, ultimately growing to include 14 children.

‘The war started with sticks and stones’

Yaakov Laniado’s involvement in the conflict began at a young age. He recalled standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Jewish friends facing an Arab mob that was screaming, “Allahu Akbar” and “Kill the Jew.”

He and his friends held sticks and stones, their only hope of holding off the mob.

“The war began with sticks and stones,” he noted, adding, “We may have declared, ‘A Hebrew state, freedom to make Aliyah,’ but we didn’t really know what a state was.”

He was a yeshiva student, he said, but was known for his rambunctious nature. A wise neighbor suggested that he channel his energy in a positive way by joining the Brit Hahashmonaim, an underground Jewish group connected first to the Lehi movement, and then to the Hagana.

When the United Nations declared its recognition of Israel, “the city of Jerusalem rejoiced,” he recalled, describing the wild celebrations in the capital. However, the city soon found itself under siege, with people moving from one neighborhood to the next only in convoys – a method which, Laniado noted, provided reassurance, but not actual safety.

Yaakov Laniado with his book Courtesy of the Laniado family

Laniado, who was still not yet 17, was soon sent to war. His father’s parting message was, “Go, my son, and return. Never forget that you are a Jew. If you are in danger, say the Shema and viduy” [prayer recognizing G-d’s unity and prayer for forgiveness, respectively – ed.].

The young Yaakov told his parents that he did not know if he would survive the war, and urged them to take comfort in his siblings if he were to die.

Captivity in Jordan

Laniado was sent to fight in Gush Etzion, south of Jerusalem. There, he and his fellow soldiers helped rescue the survivors of an Arab ambush.

On the eve of Passover, he said, he deeply missed his family. When his commander asked him what was wrong, he began to cry. His commander told him not to worry, that he would see his parents again soon.

In reality, it was another year and a half before he was able to return. Laniado and several companions were taken prisoner and spent several months in captivity.

“I was among the last captives taken from Masuot Yitzchak to Hevron. We opened our eyes to see a mob around us and the Mayor of Hevron, Jabari, inciting them. I was sure that it was the end. My parents were saved in Hevron, and I would die there,” he said.

Instead, he witnessed another miracle. A Jordanian officer announced that the captives were under his responsibility, and that nobody was to touch them, as Jordan’s King Abdullah had promised not to harm them. Some of those in the mob were angry at his order, he recounted, but the Jordanian soldiers fought them off.

From Hevron he was taken to a camp for Jewish prisoners in Jordan. There, he met his rabbi, as well as Rabbi Moshe Yitzchak, then 80. Rabbi Yitzchak cried at the fact that he had been forced to leave Israel, after taking care for his entire life not to leave Jerusalem. Even the fact that he was still technically within the boundaries of the ancient land of Israel did not comfort the elderly rabbi, Laniado said.

Undercover in Syria

After his release from captivity, Laniado hoped to return to yeshiva - but it was not to be. Instead, he embarked on a successful military career during which he served in the Air Force, Navy and Military Police, and played a part in establishing the Border Police.

Later, he was enlisted in the Mossad, Israel’s foreign intelligence service. He was sent to northern Syria disguised as a Palestinian Arab. The disguise proved an obstacle, he said: other Arabs treated him as a traitor to the Arab nation for moving to Syria, and refused to speak with him.

After a local man told him that he sounded like a Syrian from Aleppo, his cover story was changed, and the mission continued.

The rest of Laniado’s story, including his part in Israel’s wars in the 1960s and 1970s, is included in his book.
Annukka

Israel Among Ten Most Powerful Nations In World

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.01.2014 19:11

6. Israel Among Ten Most Powerful Nations In World

by Ari Yashar Israel Among Ten Most Powerful Nations In World

Israel, the tiny nation that defied history in coming back to life after 2,000 years of exile, is among the top 10 most powerful nations in the world according to a recent research study.

Market Business News recently reported on the 2012 National Power Index (NPI), released by the Foundation for National Security Research (FNSR), a New Delhi-based think tank. The study is a comprehensively revised version of the previous indexes published in India's National Security Annual Review (INSAR) since 2002.

According to the research, Israel achieved a 32.19 NPI ranking, placing it tenth on the list of the world's most powerful countries.

The NPI is a quantification of a nation's power, meaning its ability to influence global events. The ranking is based on a composite of indexes of statistical analysis in terms of economy, military, diplomacy, technology and population. Each factor has a certain weight, and the composite index includes a detailed analysis of individual component.

The research appraises Israel as a country of 8 million, with a GDP of $272.7 billion and 176,500 active military personnel.

Israel stands out in military capability where it is ranked 6th in the world, and technological capability where it ranks 4th. Its capabilities ranked 25 in economy, 17 in population and 19 in foreign affairs.

The index study notes that Israel has the strongest military in the Middle East, and is among the world's leaders in technology and science. It also notes that Israel ranks 15 on the UN development index, illustrating the high quality of life in the Jewish state.

Unsurprisingly, The United States headed the list of most powerful nations, ranking in at 77.77 on the NPI. It was followed by China (58.66) and Russia (43.36). The remaining nations on the list were France, Japan, the UK, Germany, India and Canada in that order.

A map by Maps of World displays the 10 leading powers in highlighted colors, including tiny Israel among its massive fellow powerful nations.

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu encouraged investment in Israel this week at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, touting Israel's innovation in developing "more conceptual products per capita than any nation on earth."
Annukka

Why Do Jews Face Jerusalem when they Pray?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.01.2014 19:26

Why Do Jews Face Jerusalem when they Pray?

jerusalem
No matter where in the world a Jew finds himself, his heart and prayers are directed toward Jerusalem. The reason for this spans over two thousand years of Jewish history, throughout which the Children of Israel have longed to return to their ancestral Land.

The Psalms caution, “If I forget Jerusalem, then let my right hand forget its own strength.” (Psalms 137:5) For a Jew, forgetting Jerusalem is tantamount to forgetting his identity completely. In contrast, by remembering Jerusalem, a Jew identifies with his very essence and inner-self.

Unlike other exiled nations, the Jews’ desire to return never ceased or waned in intensity. Rather, this desire steadily increases! As the ingathering of the exiles takes place before our very eyes, Jews face east not only to dream of Jerusalem’s past glory, but to hasten its rebuilding in modern Israel.

Guardian of Jerusalem

WHY JERUSALEM?

When Jews pray facing east, they are doing much more than turning to the Promised Land’s capital. Like a spiritual homing device that zeroes in on its target, the soul of the Jew is programmed to seek its source – the root of its holiness. To do so, Jews first face Israel. As they reach Israel spiritually, they narrow their focus on Jerusalem. Finally, they hone in on the Western Wall, site of the Holy Temple and the Holy of Holies within. This focus is one of progressive holiness that narrows in and targets the highest level of closeness to the Divine Presence. As the place where the soul unites with its Creator, the life-force of all humanity, Jerusalem naturally remains the focal point for all Jewish prayer.

holy_temple_standing

Photo Courtesy of Temple Institute

In King Solomon’s times, all nations of the world came to the Holy Temple to bring offerings and connect with the Creator. The unique sanctity of Jerusalem was well known throughout the lands, not only among the Jewish nation. According to tradition, the first stone created on earth was the famous foundation stone that can be found even today on the Temple Mount. This holy stone, sitting on the holiest place on the earth, is the first physical link between the Creator and our world. It connects the spirit of man to its Source. It is literally the foundation upon which this world was built.

WHY DOES THE WORLD ‘FACE EAST’?

Today, the entire world continues to face east, just as it has throughout history. Indeed, Israel remains at the forefront and in the headlines, a popular topic in the media. The eyes of the nations continue to look toward Jerusalem. Why does the world face east, toward a tiny piece of land that a tiny nation calls home?

While Jews physically and spiritually face their land, on some level the nations of the world understand the secret of Jerusalem. They face east toward the holiest place on earth, the foundation stone that bonds the human spirit to its Source. In this way, the nations of the world also connect to their past, present, and future. By facing east, the world beckons its destiny.
Annukka

"Son of Hamas," wins Sundance Audience Award

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.01.2014 19:37

Israeli documentary wins Sundance Audience Award

"The Green Prince," which tells the story of Mosab Hassan Yousef, the son of Hamas co-founder Sheikh Hassan Yousef, who spent a decade as an Israeli informer in the West Bank, garners one of prestigious Utah film festival's top honors.

Yishai Kichlis and News Agencies

Israeli writer-director Nadav Schirman's new documentary, "The Green Prince," which tells the story of a Palestinian spy for Israel, has won the Audience Award at the annual Sundance Film Festival, held in Utah.

The film, which premiered last week at Sundance, tells the story of Mosab Hassan Yousef, who spent a decade as an Israeli informer in the West Bank. Yousef is the son of Hamas co-founder and leader Sheikh Hassan Yousef,

The documentary was based on Yousef's autobiography, "Son of Hamas," and "tells the story of his odyssey from young militant to spy for Israel's security service to Southern California asylum seeker fighting to avoid deportation back to the Middle East," the Jewish Telegraphic Agency said.

Yousef's code name within the Israeli defense establishment was derived from the green color of the Hamas flag and his near-royal pedigree among Palestinians, JTA said.

"The Green Prince is a spy thriller; we want to grab the audience from first frame and never let go. So the filmmaking -- the visuals, the cutting style, the music -- is geared towards grabbing the attention of the audience and leading them deeper into the story with a sense of growing tension," Schirman said in the film's abstract, distributed at Sundance.
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum