tuumis

This and That

Valvoja: Annukka

Living Torah: Famous Jews of Gaza

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 08.09.2014 20:45

Living Torah: Famous Jews of Gaza

Living Torah
By Rabbi Ari Enkin, rabbinic director, United with Israel

Although most people are under the impression that Gaza produces mainly terrorists, this has been the case only in recent years. A number of famous Jews hailed from Gaza in ancient times.

In this article – Part II on the Jewish History of Gaza – we will focus on Nathan of Gaza and Rabbi Israel Najara.

Nathan of Gaza (1643-1680) was a colorful and controversial figure who made his mark on Jewish history. He was a religious leader and author born in Jerusalem. After his marriage in 1663 he moved to Gaza, where he became famous as a “prophet” for the infamous false messiah, Shabtai Zvi. Nathan met Shabbtai Zvi in Jerusalem and was convinced that Shabtai was the Messiah.

As the “prophet of the Messiah” he embarked upon missionary activity among Diaspora Jews and served as Shabtai’s spokesperson and apologist. He studied the Talmud intensely, as well as the Kabbalistic mysticism of his time. He elaborated his ideas in numerous open letters and treatises. His most famous work was called Zemir Aritzim, which dealt with hastening the redemption. It was written in about 1670.

Jews of Gaza
This album with the music of 16th-century Rabbi Israel Najara of Gaza was published in 2013.

Nathan died in Macedonia in 1680. His life ended in poverty but with many friends and disciples. In fact, his influence continues to this day to some extent. There is a mysterious religious group in Turkey known as the Donmeh who still believe that the Shabbtai Zvi is the Messiah who will one day return to redeem them. There is even evidence to suggest that Mustafa Atatürk, the founder of modern Turkey, was a Donmeh in secret.

Legacy Remains among Jews Worldwide

Rabbi Israel Najara was born in 1555 in Safed and died 1625 in Gaza. He was a Jewish liturgical poet, preacher, biblical commentator, kabbalist, and rabbi of Gaza.

The best known of his hymns is the Yah Ribon, which is recited on Friday night by Jews of all traditions and is found in all prayer books. This is a remarkable accomplishment, as it is very rare to find a liturgical prayer, poem, hymn or song that was accepted by all Jews regardless of tradition, origin or lineage.

Rabbi Najara is buried in the ancient Jewish cemetery in Gaza. His son, Moses Najara, was also a poet, and he succeeded his father as the chief rabbi of Gaza.
Annukka

Doctors Save Life of Boy from Gaza

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.09.2014 02:44

Doctors Save Life of Boy from Gaza

Israeli doctors at Rambam Hospital in Haifa, using unique and innovative treatment, were able to save the life of a Palestinian teenager from Gaza.

For years, M, a 14-year-old boy from Gaza, had suffered from kidney failure. Recently, the youth’s doctor informed his family that without a transplant, the boy’s life would be at great risk. Exacerbating his condition, M’s blood also coagulated too easily, reducing the chance of a successful transplant.

Against all odds, with the donation of a kidney from his sister, doctors at Rambam Hospital in Haifa saved the boy’s life.

To stay alive, patients who suffer from kidney failure require a transplant. When that problem is intensified by excessive blood coagulation, they need a great deal of luck as well. M urgently needed a kidney transplant, but his blood condition further complicated his medical situation. This significantly lowered chances for a successful operation.

Doctors explained to M’s family that it was only a matter of time before his situation would deteriorate, preventing dialysis and greatly threatening the boy’s life. To save him, his sister decided to donate a kidney.

A History of Failed Attempts

Eight years ago, the boy had received a kidney donation from his brother, but the transplant, performed in Egypt, failed immediately. In light of this situation, Rambam Hospital doctors made it clear to the family that M’s chances for success were very low. Despite this, his sister insisted upon the donation.

Rambam Hospital, Haifa
Rambam Health Care Campus treats hundreds of patients from Gaza and the PA each year. (Photo: RHCC)

Considering the state of M’s blood vessels, the doctors worked “in reverse,” executing a unique procedure tailored for M’s special needs.

Shortly after surgery, it became apparent that the unusual procedure could not stand up to the demands of the transplant. Two hours after leaving the operating room, the youth was back. Examinations revealed that all vascular connections performed by Rambam doctors were working, but M’s own blood vessels were not sustaining the transplanted kidney.

The Rambam medical staff had never been confronted with such a situation before. “It was a nightmare scenario,” said Dr. Ran Steinberg, head of Pediatric Surgery. To solve the problem, the doctors implanted a synthetic connector between the vein exiting the kidney and the one that exits the liver.

This innovative method worked and M’s body was able to function with the new kidney. After an eight-month stay at Rambam, the boy returned home to Gaza and still returns to Haifa for periodic check-ups.

“There are no words to describe the excitement of triumphing in an impossible situation. Not everyone believed we would succeed,” said Dr. Steinberg. “As soon as M started to recover, our doctors’ smiles returned. M is a great kid and he will be able to enjoy the regular life of any child his age.”

Long Israeli Track Record of Treating Palestinian Patients

This is by no means a singular event. Israeli hospitals have a long track record of treating Palestinian patients, in many cases free of charge.

Rambam Health Care Campus provides medical care to hundreds of patients from Gaza and the Palestinian Authority (PA) year round; 650 children and teenagers were treated there throughout 2013.

During Operation Protective Edge, as terrorists in Gaza were firing on Israeli citizens, hospitalized patients at Rambam Hospital included three adults and eight children from Gaza as well as three adults and two children from the PA. In addition, the Haifa hospital was treating seven patients from the PA in outpatient clinics.

A report published by Israel’s Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories Unit (COGAT) shows that 219,464 Palestinian patients received medical treatment in Israeli hospitals during 2012, including 21,270 children.

Author: Aryeh Savir
Staff Writer, United with Israel
Annukka

Arab Christians!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.09.2014 07:32

Ted Cruz Was Booed Off Stage Because No One Told Him Not to Talk About Israel

Arit John

Associated Press

Sen. Ted Cruz abruptly cut short his keynote speech addressing Arab Christians last night after members of the group started heckling him for calling on the group to consider Israel an ally. Now the senator's office is saying that, if someone had told him not to mention Israel he just wouldn't have shown up.

Cruz was speaking at a conference hosted by In Defense of Christians, a group dedicated to raising awareness about the persecution of Christians in the Middle East. During his speech Cruz pointed out the parallels between Christians and Jews being persecuted in the Middle East. But when he said “Christians have no greater ally than Israel," members of the audience started yelling at him to focus on Christians. Cruz said it "saddened" him that some in the audience were "consumed by hate" and cut his speech short.

Cruz’s communications director, Amanda Carpenter, told The Daily Signal that he never would have agreed to the event if he'd known his pro-Israel message would be taken that way. “It is crystal clear to anyone who observes Ted Cruz that he stands with Israel,” she said. “If organizers had asked us not to discuss our support of Israel, we would have declined the event.”

And yet, if Cruz was going to raise awareness about the plight of persecuted Arab Christians, he probably should have known that support for Israel is not universal among the persecuted. As The Jewish Daily Forward noted, Cruz grouped Hezbollah, the Syrian and Iranian governments, ISIS and Hamas into one group. At the same time:

A number of Christians in Lebanon and Syria are in loose alliance with the Syrian government and its Shi’ite Hezbollah allies in pushing back against a motley assortment of rebels that include Sunni Islamist groups that have targeted Christians.
Annukka

UN’s Anti-Semitism

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.09.2014 08:09

Annukka

Chris & Morgan Davis

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.09.2014 09:13

Annukka

The Storm

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 14.09.2014 20:15

The Storm

Roy Lessin

by Roy Lessin

Darkness settled over me,
it took away all light-
A circumstantial blackness
that brought me into night.

I cried out to the heavens,
"Oh Father, do You care?"
My heart began to wonder
if He was really there.

A form appeared before me-
His image wasn't clear.
I heard Him speak with power
as His presence now drew near.

"Be still," was His commandment,
and the winds began to cease,
The sea was calm around me,
then my soul returned to peace.

SCRIPTURE:

Rest for the Weary and Burdened

via (in)courage

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30

Pray this…

Meet Me In The Meadow

Give us this day our daily bread. Matthew 6:11 My Father—You are my watchful Provider and my daily Supplier. Thank You that I am never out of Your sight or Your care. I am so grateful […]
Annukka

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.09.2014 21:50

Egyptian Academic Demands Jews Return Exodus Gold

Monday, September 15, 2014 | Israel Today Staff

Related Stories
◾Messianic Commentary: Prophecy Through Jewish Eyes
◾Israel's Messianic Jews celebrate Shavuot
◾Jewish Women Recreating Temple Veil

Topics:
Bible

“The Israelites did as Moses instructed and asked the Egyptians for articles of silver and gold… The Lord had made the Egyptians favorably disposed toward the people, and they gave them what they asked for; so they plundered the Egyptians.” Exodus 12:35–36

There are some in Egypt who still aren’t happy about the above, and are demanding, some 3,500 years later, that the Jews return their nation’s plundered treasure.

“We know for a fact that Moses was in this land,” stated prominent Egyptian academic Amar Ali Hassan in a July interview with Egypt’s Channel 1.

“When they (the Jews) left they stole Egypt’s gold and treasures,” he continued. “We demand that they return the treasures they stole from us.”

Of greater note than Hassan’s absurd demand is the fact that a leading Arab intellectual is acknowledging Jewish history in the region. Most of Israel’s antagonists typically try to do the opposite.

Dr. Amar Ali Hassan is a PHD in political science. He has worked for years at top research centers across the Middle East, and is the author of numerous books. His interview was translated by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI).
Annukka

Comment:

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.09.2014 21:53

Join the discussion…

romfordkid • 8 hours ago

This was payment for years of slavery.

10 △ ▽

Share ›

20thDaniel • 8 hours ago

LOL !!! . . . Dr. Amar failed tremendously to understand the narrative account. The Israelites under the leadership of Moses did not stole anything from the Egyptians.

The Israelites ASKED. . . .The Egyptians GAVE.

Based on this context. . . there is no stealing here......only CONSENT.

DR. Amar's demand is ridiculous.

9 △ ▽

Share ›

AharonHaLevi > 20thDaniel • an hour ago

Bingo! The Egyptians wanted the Jews gone and were willing to pay.

△ ▽

Share ›

Me Me • 5 hours ago

400 years of slavery, times approximately 1million Jews at 360 days per year (allowing 1 day off per week (approximately 52 weeks so 360 - 52 = 308 days per year) 308 days x 400 years = 123,200 days of work times 1 million people = 123,200,000,000 days of work at a "denarius"

Wikipedia : "Classical historians often say that in the late Roman Republic and early Roman Empire (~27BC) the daily wage for an unskilled laborer and common soldier was 1 denarius (with no tax deductions) or about US$20 in bread."
Of course, this happened about 1400 BC not 27BC but,...

So a net of $20 per day. $20.00 x 123,200,000,000 = 2,464,000,000,000

2.5 trillion dollars plus inflation and interest is what Egypt owes the Jews.

That is what they are owed by the government. The gifts were given by the people, which should also be given a tax write off by that same government.

I bet the Jews could use 2.5 trillion, plus interest over 3450 years, well.

Dr. Amar Ali Hassan is just another lying Muslim thief. No intellect, just lies and propaganda to try to propagate murder. What a filthy, murderous religion.

6 △ ▽

Share ›

ZiZi > Me Me • 4 hours ago

The Israelites used the gold to make the golden calf and it is gone. Moreover, the Egyptian gave it willingly. They cannot asked a gift back.

3 △ ▽

Share ›

AharonHaLevi > ZiZi • an hour ago

All the gold was not used on the golden calf. Besides there were gems and silver as well.

△ ▽

Share ›

jgarbuz > Me Me • 4 hours ago

Doubtful if there ever was anywhere near 1 million Israelites in Egypt at any time.

Even those who propose that the Hebrews were actually the Hyksos still probably couldn't come up with such numbers. The numbers given in the Bible can no more be believed than the age given for Methusalah.

1 △ ▽

Share ›

Me Me > jgarbuz • 4 hours ago

600,000 men on foot left Egypt Exodus 12:37

600,000 on foot left Egypt Numbers 11:21

603,550 men over 20 years Mt. Sinai Numbers 1:45-46

601,730 males Jordan River Numbers 26:51

Direct quote from Exodus 12:37 = "The Israelites journeyed from Rameses to Sukkoth. There were about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children."
Besides women and children?
looks like closer to 2 million, what do you think?

5 △ ▽

Share ›

AharonHaLevi > Me Me • an hour ago

The estimates vary. Tradition claims each man counted was 20 years and older only. Those were married. The estimated number of children has been thought to be 6. So for each married man, add a wife and 6 kids on average. 7 X 600,000 = 4.2 million. Assume an average of 3 kids, then 4 X 600,000 = 2.4 million/ Most likely the number was between those estimates.

△ ▽

Share ›

jgarbuz > Me Me • 2 hours ago

I think most probably 600 men and their families.

△ ▽

Share ›

Willie Labuschagne > Me Me • 32 minutes ago

Your comment sums up the whole situation. Egypt owes the Jews trillions of dollars for their slave labour! Well said

△ ▽

Share ›

AharonHaLevi > Me Me • an hour ago

Exactly right, and something similar was recorded in the Talmud along these same lines.

△ ▽

Share ›

mauloa • 4 hours ago

Proof the Lord led the Children of Israel to their promised land - after taking them out of Egypt. Maybe, with Dr. Amar's outlook on history - Egypt can spend more time cementing their relationship with Israel and root out the Islamic evils the extremists have introduced. Hope springs eternal.

5 △ ▽

Share ›

Hashkama • 3 hours ago

The Israelites should request all their unpaid wages for the work they were made to do for Pharaoh. The Israelites were forced labour, but the gold of the Egyptians was given, not forcefully taken. Someone once wrote, "Its a mad, mad, mad, mad world".

3 △ ▽

Share ›

Bert Rybaczuk • 3 hours ago

A good exchange......now let's file a claim at the UN for enslavement compensation from Babylonia (Iraq) and Persia (Iran). I bet they have, with all of the oil wealth, pretty much close to what they owe. Let's also keep in mind the spoils of war that they carried away from Israel.
What about filing with the Human Rights organizations, for brutalizing women and children, overlooking the fact that when one brutalizes a man (as in a male) it also counts.

2 △ ▽

Share ›

Robert Truss • 5 hours ago

Have they forgotten where they got it? They stole it from other nation's, and besides, Moses was entitle to much of it if you look at the spoils of war. Now that that has been said, one has to remember that God opened up the earth and down went the golden calf into the earth along with those who chose to create their own god.
Kind of a dumb thing to do in today's world. Asking for something that never was.

1 △ ▽

Share ›

Fiona • 5 hours ago

HaShem told the Israelites to borrow the gold. He hasn't yet told them to return it. I suggest that Mr. Hassan take the matter to HaShem.

1 △ ▽

Share ›

אנלי ריקמן • 7 hours ago

Allways same sing!

They don't learn!

1 △ ▽

Share ›

Timothy Govindasamy • an hour ago

LOL.GIVE ISRAEL ITS LAND AS WELL .THATS THE BALANCE

△ ▽

Share ›

AharonHaLevi • an hour ago

As strange as this sounds, this was done by the Egyptians under Alexander the Great (circa 300 BCE) and it is even recorded in the Talmud. The Egyptian clerics brought a suit to return all the riches taken from Egypt, even citing the Torah as proof of the events. Alexander gave the Jews a little time to prepare their response, and indicated that since the Torah was accepted as proof, the rabbis could do so as well. The rabbis suggested an accounting for the 400 years of slavery the Jews endured, at the estimated cost of labor, as their response. Alexander suggested the Egyptians drop their suit, because they would lose and they would owe the Jews. That is what happened.

△ ▽

Share ›

Richard O. Mann • an hour ago

Besides, Israel no longer has all that gold. It was taken by Babylon and later by Rome. It would be very difficult to recognize any of that ancient gold today.

△ ▽

Share ›

The Fox • 2 hours ago

It was a just reward for all the Non Godly things Egypt did to them for over 400 years, so go pound dirt, dirt bag Egyptian. And what make you think they would still have it, they were over run many times and gold, silver and brass was stolen from them, and you call yourself a educated Egyptian? LOL.

△ ▽

Share ›

Mongo66 • 3 hours ago

Well, we Jews are demanding reparations for the centuries of free labor under your brutal people Dr. Hassan. I wonder how much that labor would be worth in today's money? I bet it would be worth more than the so called treasure.

△ ▽

Share ›

jgarbuz • 5 hours ago

The Pharaoh Sheshonq I (Shishak in the Bible) took much of it back:

Wikipedia

"Shishak is best known for his campaign against the Kingdom of Judah, as recorded in the Hebrew Bible (1 Kings 14:25;2 Chronicles 12:1-12).

Shishak had provided refuge to Jeroboam during the later years of Solomon's reign, and upon Solomon's death, Jeroboam became king of the tribes in the north, which became the Kingdom of Israel. In the fifth year of Rehoboam's reign (commonly dated between 926 and 917 BC), Shishak swept through the kingdom of Judah with a powerful army, in support of his ally. According to 2 Chronicles 12:3, he was supported by the Lubim (Libyans), the Sukkiim, and the Kushites" ("Ethiopians" in the Septuagint). According to the biblical story Shishak carried off many of the treasures of the temple and the royal palace in Jerusalem, including the "shields of gold" that Solomon
had made. The story is not specific about the means by which he
acquired these treasures, though it is most likely that he received them
as a tribute from Rehoboam to secure peace."

"In the very early years after the decipherment of Egyptian hieroglyphs,
on chronological, historical, and linguistic grounds, nearly all
Egyptologists identified Shishak with Sheshonk I.
This position was maintained by most scholars ever since, and is still
the majority position. The fact that Shoshenq I left behind "explicit
records of a campaign into Canaan (scenes; a long list of Canaanite
place-names from the Negev to Galilee; stelae), including a stela
[found] at Megiddo" supports the traditional interpretation.[1]"

see more

△ ▽

Share ›

Bondservant • 7 hours ago

Isn't this an old story being repeated again in Israel Today? The last time this story appeared in Israel Today, there were many excellent posters responding to the story. Search the archive for the story, I can't remember in which month it appeared.

△ ▽

Share ›

Mongo66 > Bondservant • 3 hours ago

Many so-called Egyptian scholars have made this same claim since Israel's independence. Nasser, for example, often used to make these same claims.

△ ▽
Annukka

Arab Christians under attack, but not by Israel!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 17.09.2014 19:21

Arab Christians under attack

Patriarch Ignace III of the Syrian Catholic Church of Antioch spoke with reporters on Tuesday following a conference of Arab Christian leaders held in the shadow of the recent activities of the Islamic State (IS, formally ISIS) terror militia. "The situation of Christians and other minorities amid the massacres and atrocities of (Islamic State) is dire and our future in the region is at stake," said Patriarch Ignace III declared. "The leaders of Arab countries and the Arab League have to stand up and do something." A leader of the Chaldean Church in Iraq agreed, adding "It needs boots on the ground, just bombing is no solution. But these should perhaps be Arab boots. The Arab League should be involved. This is primarily the responsibility of the Arab states."

In related news, security forces in Saudi Arabia reportedly raided a prayer meeting in the eastern city of Khafji earlier this week, arresting all 28 worshipers, including children, and confiscating their Bibles. The meeting was being held in the private home of a foreign worker from India. The arrested Christians have not been seen or heard from since the raid.
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum