tuumis

This and That

Valvoja: Annukka

oy Dies 3 Times Following Car Accident – What He Experiences

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.07.2014 18:37

Boy Dies 3 Times Following Car Accident – What He Experiences Is Mind Boggling

 July 24, 2014

Charlotte, NC -On Oct. 19, 1997, Landon Whitley was in the backseat of his parent’s Pontiac Sunfire, riding home from church with mom and dad.

Crossing a Mint-Hill intersection, the family was t-boned by an ambulance (not in emergency-mode). Landon lost his father in the accident and he, himself, was medically dead and revived on three occasions — once at the scene, once on the way to Carolinas Medical Center and one time at the hospital.

Whitley was 8-years old at the time. He says he vividly remembers going to heaven each time. Seeing “streets of gold” as well as Jesus, angels, his father and even two family members he never knew about.

“My mom had two miscarriages before me that I had never known about, never heard about,” Whitley said. “I was able to see them.”

Whitely has 23 metal plates in his head, his nose is reconstructed out of the back of his skull and he can’t see out of his left eye – but today, he lives mostly a normal life.

His mother, Julie Kemp, recently wrote a book detailing the years of grieving for their family and also talks about her son’s heavenly experience.

Her injuries were broken ribs, collapsed lung and a concussion. She was sitting in the passenger side of the car where the family was t-boned on the driver’s side – where Landon and his father sat. While her scars are not as bad as her son’s, her emotional scars she says are very real – and her book is part of the grieving and recovery process.

“These days I can thank God for giving me the strength to get through it,” Kemp said. “I didn’t see the strength when I was going through it – I saw the challenges and the hurt.”

Boy dies 3 times following car accident
Annukka

He never threw another rock.

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 26.07.2014 09:02

Charla Jean Parker

I used to drive a school bus in a rural area. My route briefly crossed into another school district. One day a boy from the other school threw a rock at by bus. I stopped and had a talk with him on how dangerous that could be. A week later he did it again, this time the rock bounced off my back tire and hit him right in the knee. He was fine but, limped the rest of the way to his house. He never threw another rock.
Annukka

How the Media is Culpable in Gaza Deaths

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.07.2014 17:52

How the Media is Culpable in Gaza Deaths

Sunday, July 27, 2014 | Israel Today Staff

Related Stories
◾More evidence Iran's nuclear program is not peaceful
◾Israel Basks in French Embrace
◾Anti-Semitism on the rise as Islamists complete 'Arab Spring' takeover

Topics:
Global

An award-winning international journalist has written a must-read piece over at The Times of Israel regarding the mainstream media’s culpability in the high Gaza death toll.

Simcha Jacobovici explains that the media likes nothing more than props that can quickly and dramatically tell a story for them, and the Palestinians (in particular Hamas) have become masters at playing to this desire.

A highlight of the article is this line:

“…the Western media has taught Hamas that it doesn’t matter how downright evil you are. It doesn’t matter if you launch two thousand missiles at civilian targets, including the airport. It doesn’t matter if you use your own children as human shields. You’ll get the coverage you want if CNN, BBC et al. have props to point their cameras at. Our form of news-gathering has taught Hamas to turn their children into those props, and to sacrifice them on the altar of Jihad. By misreporting, our media has encouraged the bad guys to kill their own children, and has dragged Israel into a war it did not want.”

Sounds like the kind of child sacrifice that once dominated this region, and which Israel was commanded to wipe out.

They sacrificed their sons and their daughters to the demons; they poured out innocent blood, the blood of their sons and daughters, whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan, and the land was polluted with blood. (Psalm 106:37–38)

…for every abominable thing that the Lord hates they have done for their gods, for they even burn their sons and their daughters in the fire to their gods. (Deuteronomy 12:31)
Annukka

Who's Protecting Israel?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.07.2014 21:12

Annukka

Massacre in Yarmouk

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.07.2014 21:19

Massacre in Yarmouk

The disproportional attacks on civilians must end.
by Jonathan Messing

Yarmouk was home to the largest Palestinian refugee community in the country before the conflict began. 180,000 Palestinian civilians called it home. Now only 20,000 remain. Food and medical supplies are routinely denied entry and starvation is one of the three main causes of death. Recently, in the Jarabulus area, 22 people were killed and thrown into the streets to instill fear in the population. Some of them were children.

Amnesty International has called for the immediate lifting of the siege, the cessation of shelling and other indiscriminate attacks, and for humanitarian agencies to have unfettered access to the area. The disproportional attacks on civilians must end.

Down with Israel? Not quite. Yarmouk and Jarabulus are in Syria.

In fact, many in that country are decrying the lack of attention to their plight and the fact that images and videos often go viral only when they are falsely presented as being from Gaza. Marc Lynch, the Director of the Institute for Middle East Studies at GWU, put it succinctly when he said, “It must be so awkward having to check whether the dead child is from Gaza or Syria before deciding whether to be morally outraged.”

So to those condemning Israel: Are you pro-Palestinian, or are you really just anti-Israel? Many of you purportedly care so much when you really care so little. As Leon Wieseltier of the New Republic once wrote: It is easier “not to dive deep into the substance of anything. It is less immediately satisfying than cursing and linking.”

My Twitter and Facebook feeds would have me believe that the only noteworthy military conflict in the world today is that between Israel and Hamas. Either many of you care about war only when it involves a Jew holding a gun, or you are woefully unaware of what else is going on in the world. In case it is the latter, and I sincerely hope it is, here is a (very) partial list of the death tolls from other ongoing conflicts. In no particular order:

Syria: 170,000 (~700 this past weekend alone!)
Mexico: ~80,000
Nigeria: ~5,000
South Sudan: ~10,000.
Gaza: ~600

This is not to say that your attention and sympathies should be dictated by casualty counts. All civilian deaths are tragic. Moreover, such figures tell us nothing about the moral standing of the warring parties, especially not in the case of the asymmetric warfare that Hamas is waging. After all, the United States lost about 450,000 lives fighting in World War II while the Nazis lost over seven million, yet I would wager that none of you think the Nazis held the moral high ground. At least I hope so. The twisted logic and moral relativism of some of the posts I have been reading make me wonder.

Get Aish.com's Free Email Updates and Be Inspired.

What these figures do show is that while all war contains tragedy, including the one in Gaza and Israel, only deaths connected to Jews seem to evoke the cries we have been hearing over the number of dead in Gaza, which pales in comparison to other conflicts and is largely due to Hamas’ grotesque tactics. While there are few of you whom I would accuse as individuals of holding animosity toward Jews, there are many of you who are participating in a global, collective media assault on Israel that is indeed suggestive of something much darker.

I am not asking you not to care. On the contrary, I am hoping that you all start to care more – about the many problems in the world. Then, perhaps going forward your condemnation of Israel could be – let’s see, how should I put this – more proportional.
Annukka

Max’s Mission

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.07.2014 21:33

Annukka

An open letter to Khalil from Gaza

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.07.2014 00:34

Annukka

15 Thoughts Teenagers Wish They Could Share with Their Paren

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.07.2014 08:01

15 Thoughts Teenagers Wish They Could Share with Their Parents

By Nomi Freeman

1. I don’t really think you are stupid and ignorant. I just need to affirm my existence by thinking differently than you.

2. I’m no longer a child, and I want to make my own decisions. When you make all my decisions for me, I need to rebel to assert my independence. When you tell me you trust my judgement, even in small things, I feel validated and don’t need to rebel as much.

3. I feel good when you ask for my opinion. When you show respect for my ideas—as ridiculous as they may seem to you—I feel safe opening up to you.
I am no longer a child
You show respect by listening attentively to my thoughts in a nonjudgmental way. If you can do that, we can start to talk.

4. When you start lecturing, I stop listening. When you think I’m wrong and the issue is really vital, asking questions gently to guide my thoughts in another direction works much better than a lecture. So does showing information from reliable sources. Trying to impose your views on me might make you feel powerful, but it makes me clam up and run away.

5. Appreciation is great . . . just remember that I’m not a kid! So don’t say “Good boy” or “You’re finally listening to me.” That would be a prescription for immediate rebellion. Appreciation sounds like “I really admire how responsible you are about your Sunday job,” or “Thank you so much for cleaning the kitchen. I was too tired to do it.” Basically, show me appreciation in the same words you would say to your friends.

6. Trust is so powerful. When you show me that you trust me and my abilities, I feel good about myself and about you, and I don’t want to disappoint you.

7. When you speak negatively about my friends, I dislike you, not them.

8. I dress the way I dress to assert my independence. And sometimes to gain recognition. If you throw a fit because you don’t like my style, you fall into a trap. You prove I can push your buttons.

9. It’s much easier to respect you when you respect yourself and others. Respecting yourself includes keeping calm and speaking in a kind way, even when you really don’t like what someone else is doing. Respecting others includes your children. Then, if I ever lose my cool and raise my voice, you’ll be able to say, “I don’t yell at you. Please don’t yell at me.”

10. My body is changing, my hormones are raging. I have too many teachers, and each of them gives us work as if nothing else existed. I worry about the horrible acne, the terrifying exams, the popular kid who’s not my friend. The math teacher doesn’t like me, and I don’t know what’s going on in biology. My friends are applying for jobs at a summer camp, and I don’t know if the camp will accept my application. I worry I might have bad breath, and I worry the other kids might speak about me behind my back. I don’t talk about all this because I'm overwhelmed and embarrassed. So please don’t get upset at me if my room is a mess or if I act grumpy. I need support, not lectures.

11. Don’t ask too many questions. It’s sooooo annoying. If you listen with interest and don’t criticize, I might share on my own.

12. Nobody likes to be bossed around. If you tell me you expect me to wash the dishes, clean the car, take out the garbage . . . I don’t like it. But if you say, “We are a family and we share responsibilities. Your father and I work and do XYZ. But we can’t do everything. We need our children to pitch in.
Don’t ask for more than I can handle
We all want to make this a nice home”—that makes sense and I don’t feel treated like a kid. It’s also easier when you show me a written list of chores and ask me to choose which ones I’d like to do. And please, don’t ask for more than I can handle.

13. In my friend’s house, the family eats dinner together almost every night. And they have a rule: No devices at the table. The parents and kids talk to each other about their day, what’s coming up in the next few days, or whatever else is on their minds.I know I text at the table, but I secretly wish we were like my friend’s family.

14. Sometimes I want to be an independent adult. Sometimes I feel I’m growing up too fast, and I want you to take care of me. I actually like it when you know how to give advice in a smart way. You know, like when we’re just chilling, having a chat. You talk to me like one adult talking to another, and you give me a little advice—sort of in a friendly, caring way, but not a bossy, top-down way. Not often; once in a while. I kind of like that.

15. It might be awkward and not my style right now to say it, but I do love you. I’ve always loved you. I think one day I’ll be able to say it again. In the meantime, bear with me.
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum