This and That

Valvoja: Annukka

Situation in Jerusalem on July 2014

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 16.07.2014 22:32

Annukka

13 Veggies You Only Think You Don't Like

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 17.07.2014 08:48

Annukka

Human rights in Israel Vs. Arab countries.

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 17.07.2014 10:17

Annukka

The Divine Rescue on Highway Six

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 19.07.2014 06:33

Annukka

HOW ISRAELIS LIVE BETWEEN SORROW AND SUCCESS

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 19.07.2014 06:49

HOW ISRAELIS LIVE BETWEEN SORROW AND SUCCESS

ICEJ: Israelis in bomb shelter

Israeli children and adults hunker down inside a bomb shelter, awaiting an end to rocket fire.

The following is a first person commentary from a senior ICEJ staff member living in Jerusalem.

The flare-up in Gaza over recent days marks the fourth time in the past eight years that we have woken up to a rocket war here in Israel.

I remember the first one started in the summer 2006 with sketchy early morning reports of a Hizbullah cross-border attack and by noon one million Israelis in the Galilee and Haifa regions were scrambling for bomb shelters to avoid deadly Syrian-made Grad rockets packed with added shrapnel.
The next one came on a quiet Shabbat morning in 2008 when Hamas rockets from Gaza suddenly started pounding southern Israel, triggering Operation Cast Lead and its tense standoff on the outskirts of Gaza City.
In November 2012, the second rocket war with Hamas in Gaza erupted just as quickly, prompting the IDF to launch Operation Pillar of Cloud, which ended without any ground incursion due to the successful debut of the Iron Dome system.
In this latest escalation, the Kassam rockets came raining down on Israel's southern cities for more than a week before the Israeli military finally responded with Operation Protective Edge. This time the entire nation is having to scurry for bomb shelters, and once again finds itself anxiously teetering between a possible ceasefire and a risky ground invasion.
I've had my own private source of anxiety over recent days, as we sent our 14 year-old son Yonathan off to summer camp in the north of Israel last Wednesday, thinking he would be safe up there. But the area has now been hit by three rocket barrages aimed at the nearby coastal town of Nahariya, and one rocket landed less than a mile from his camp. The blast was so strong it knocked down a couple of the youngsters as they were running for a shelter.

ICEJ: Yonathan Parsons
(Yonathan Parsons and friends at summer camp)
Where we live in Jerusalem, residents have around 90 seconds of warning to find shelter from incoming rockets, and the Iron Dome battery guarding the capital city has eased the locals' fears somewhat. But at my son's summer camp, located just a few miles south of the Lebanese border, there's no Iron Dome and the warning time on rockets fired from Lebanon is a scant 15-to-20 seconds.
As a worried father, I was ready to go fetch my son this week. But the camp operators assured all the parents that there were sufficient shelters on site and they were in constant touch with local IDF commanders. And besides, all 80 teenagers at the camp were bonding in a special way from the experience. They were still getting in some fun beach days and mountain hikes, while the prayer times and Bible studies were taking on a lot more meaning for these young Christians.
Sadly, there were three Israeli teens who never made it to camp this summer. They were cruelly kidnapped and murdered by a Hamas cell while hitch-hiking home from yeshiva classes one evening in June.
Their disappearance set off a massive prayer effort nationwide, yet an 18-day search ended tragically with the news that they were likely shot dead just moments after their abduction.
This led some voices to question why God had not answered the nation's prayers the way everyone wanted. Yet whatever doubts crept in because of that tragedy, the low number of casualties in the current conflict does seem to have restored a sense to Israel that God is indeed watching over them.
In Proverbs 30:8-9, we find a unique prayer offered up to God which essentially pleads: 'Lord, don't make me so rich that I forget You, nor so poor that I curse You.'
In many ways, the Jewish nation is living between similar extremes of sorrow and success. Sometimes, Israel's enemies slip through the hedge of protection and inflict pain and suffering, yet God never allows it to get so bad that they curse Him. At other times, the people can truly sense the providence and blessing of God over this embattled yet thriving nation and their achievements always point back to Him.
Without a doubt, we live in a time of God's favor upon Zion. Israel has been restored against all odds and is emerging as a resilient and innovative 'Start-up Nation', with a windfall of newfound oil and gas wealth only promising greater things ahead. Her adversaries are jealous of Israel's success and frustrated that they cannot stop it. But they will try to hinder it by bleeding Israel wherever they can. Ultimately, these efforts will be for naught and the faithful God of Israel will have the last say.

- Written by David Parsons, Media Director for the International Christian Embassy Jerusalem. David lives in Jerusalem with his wife, Josepha, and son, Yonathan. The ICEJ has some 45 staff living in Israel, many with spouses and families.
Annukka

Miracles in this war again!

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.07.2014 14:54

Annukka

What Do You Do All Day?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.07.2014 08:08

What Do You Do All Day?

A man came home from work and found his three children outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud, with empty food boxes and wrappers strewn all around the front yard.

In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, breakfast food was spilled on the counter, the fridge door was open wide, and a broken glass lay under the table.

He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried she might be ill, or that something serious had happened.

As he rushed to the bedroom, he found his wife still curled up in the bed, reading a novel. She looked up at him, smiled and asked how his day went.

Bewildered, he asked, “What happened here today?” She again smiled and answered, “You know every day when you come home from work and you ask me what in the world I do all day?”

“Yes,” was his incredulous reply.

She answered, “Well, today I didn’t do it.”
Annukka

Thousands Pay Respects to Fallen Lone Soldier

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.07.2014 19:24

7. Thousands Pay Respects to Fallen Lone Soldier

by Elad Benari

Thousands of people attended the funeral of fallen IDF soldier Nissim Sean Carmeli, who was laid to rest in Haifa on Monday night.

Carmeli is one of the 13 combat soldiers who were killed in Gaza on Sunday.

Carmeli was a lone soldier from South Padre Island, Texas, whose parents are still in Texas and who had no other family in israel other than his two sisters.

As a result of his situation, officials of the Maccabi Haifa soccer team called on its fans to attend Carmeli’s funeral “so that his funeral will not be empty.”

In the call to fans, the soccer club said that “Carmeli was a lone soldier, and we don't want his funeral to be empty. Come to his funeral Monday night to pay respects to a man who died so that we could live. This is the least we can do for him and for our nation,” the message said.

Israeli media estimated that anywhere from 12,000 to as many as 20,000 people had heeded Maccabi Haifa’s call and attended the funeral.

Tags: Haifa, funeral, lone soldier, Nissim Sean Carmeli, Maccabi Haifa
Annukka

Israel Today Visits IDF Officer Wounded in Gaza

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.07.2014 19:29

Israel Today Visits IDF Officer Wounded in Gaza

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 | Ariel Rudolph

Related Stories
◾Irish town cuts ties to Gaza over rocket fire
◾Israel might have to invade Gaza, again
◾Gaza missiles hit Tel Aviv

Topics:
Gaza

Lieutenant I. a unit commander in Israel’s Paratrooper Brigade was wounded together with four of his soldiers yesterday (Monday) in the southern Gaza Strip.

During Monday’s fierce battles across Gaza, two Israeli soldiers were reported killed and at least 75 were wounded. Another seven soldiers were killed while repelling squads of Hamas gunmen that tunneled into southern Israel.

Lt. I.’s unit was ambushed and he was the first to take a bullet “as all hell broke loose around us. We were attacked by about 12–15 terrorists and the battle was tough, but we managed to eliminate 12 terrorists by the time it was over,” he said, adding that “it felt like forever to be extricated from the scene due to the circumstances. First by tank then armored personnel carrier and eventually airlifted by helicopter to hospital.”

While Lt. I. was still lying in triage in the ER, Beilinson Hospital Director Dr. Eyran Halpern updated the young commander on the condition of one of his soldiers who had been seriously wounded.

According to Dr. Halpern, “Your soldier arrived in poor condition and he was almost clinically dead on arrival. He was suffering from one gunshot wound to the right upper chest and two to his abdomen. We managed to stem the bleeding and stabilize his condition. He is still serious, but stable at the moment.”

Lt. I. talked about how tense the atmosphere was in Gaza and how difficult it was to engage terrorists in such close urban quarters. “At times it was almost hand-to-hand combat,” he said.

He also noted that “during our time in the Gaza Strip we uncovered many tunnel shafts and an unbelievable amount of weapons.”

Typical of any Israeli infantry officer, Lt. I. was concerned about the condition of his fellow soldiers with him in the hospital, as well as those still out on the battlefield “while I lie here on a bed and in air-conditioning.”
Annukka

NOW in ISRAEL

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.07.2014 13:50

NOW in ISRAEL

Reports

July 23, 2014

While our eyes and main attention is on the war here in Israel, other things are moving very quickly around the Middle East and the world. The thing that concerns me, and has my attention, is the closing of the Israeli international airport. This is something I have been predicting for a while because a missile landed close to it. http://virtualjerusalem.com/news.php?Itemid=13586 What we know will happen in the near future is that thousands of much larger and more accurate missiles will come out of southern Lebanon and Syria and one of the main targets will be the airport. At that time the closure will not be temporary - but for a long time. By all predictions from our military analysts things could get very very bad around here for a while. But the good news is “we win”. You see, I have the “Book” and you do too. Many who have the same book like to misread end time prophecy and say Israel will be destroyed - but they are wrong. When the dust settles Israel will be here and the only place on planet earth where Jews can live and be able to defend themselves.

I know that sounds like it may be a long process, but it isn’t. All of the above will happen rather quickly because of modern weaponry. Wars like this one can’t last long. For one thing, Israel has to destroy it’s enemies quickly or lose the war. We have no place to retreat. This is it for us, and God gave it to us as an everlasting covenant. It’s God who brought us back to this land that He promised us, and if you believe that, you are a Zionist. I could start quoting scripture but I hope I am writing to believers who have read God’s Word.

Shalom, Jerry Golden

--- "if you believe that, you are a Zionist" ---
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum