Annukka

A mixed city

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.05.2014 08:51

Annukka

Israel blesses the world

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.05.2014 08:55

Israel blesses the world

Posted on: Fri, 23 May 2014 (All day) +0200

Prof. Ofer Mandelboim of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, along with doctoral student Yotam Bar-On, have managed to isolate the process by which the human body fights influenza, a potentially revolutionary discovery which could lead to new treatments for a disease which killed over 100 million people in the 20th century and threatens to do tremendous damage if it breaks out as a pandemic again in the future. Elsewhere, Keter, an Israeli company which already has a successful business marketing plastic furniture, has launched an initiative to provide specially built wheelchairs to handicapped children in the developing world. “It looks like something fun and not like a medical device you wouldn’t want to use,” said Naomi Geffen, of the ALYN rehabilitation hospital for children in Jerusalem, which is a partner in the effort. The chairs are designed to sturdy but simple and inexpensive to fabricate and use, with a per-unit cost of only $50.

“A few years ago, my supervisor, Prof. Ofer Mandelboim, discovered that NK cells are important in fighting flu infection,” Bar-On said. “However, when we infected mice with influenza virus, we found that the virus can manipulate the NK cells and evade getting killed. The NK function is not 100 percent because the influenza fights back.”

“Most interestingly, when we inhibited the neuraminidase we noticed the NK worked better, and the mice actually recovered from the flu,” he continued. “So we proved the ability to defend against the influenza virus by inhibiting this protein. This discovery “sets the tone for developing new treatments” to boost the natural immune system. Right now, existing drugs work to inhibit a different protein in the flu virus to inhibit the spread of the virus, but their disadvantage is that the virus can mutate and evade the effects of the drug. You then get a resistant strain. Under the supervision of Prof. Mandelboim, I am now working on a more practical approach to develop such a drug.”
Annukka

NY man kills his wife for cooking the wrong dinner

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 26.05.2014 05:58

NY man kills his wife for cooking the wrong dinner

Posted on May 25, 2014

The religion of peace certainly has an interesting way of showing it.
Check it out:

In our latest episode of “How to Coexist with the Religion of Peace” we learn how followers deal with simple domestic issues — such as cooking the wrong dinner.

According to the New York Post, a Pakistani immigrant beat his wife to death in their Brooklyn home after she made the mistake of cooking him lentils for dinner instead of the hearty meal of goat meat that he craved, according to court papers. Noor Hussain, 75, was so outraged over the vegetarian fare that he pummeled his wife, Nazar Hussain, 66, with a stick until she was a “bloody mess,” according to prosecutors and court papers.

Jeepers, I remember that time Angela made some spicy hot jerk chicken knowing my constitution can’t tolerate spicy foods — I just ate the food and took antacid afterwards.

Read more at http://conservativebyte.com/2014/05/ny- ... hbLTx7p.99
Annukka

What the Pope Said and Didn't Say

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 26.05.2014 21:24

Monday, May 26, 2014 | Tsvi Sadan

Related Stories
Pope Under Political Pressure on 'Religious' Holy Land Visit
Knesset: Christians Are No Longer 'Arabs'
Nazareth Christians Warned Against 'Slandering' Allah

Topics:
Christians

In accordance with diplomatic protocol, upon arrival to Israel on Sunday, Pope Francis gave a short speech, as did his hosts, President Shimon Peres and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

There was genuine warmth and friendship, but their concise speeches also revealed the ongoing profound differences between Israel and the Vatican.

Netanyahu opened up with the words: "Welcome to our land, the Land of Israel, the Holy Land."

Pope Francis opened up with: "Thank you most heartily for your welcome to the State of Israel."

Netanyahu's speech continued: "I welcome the good relations between the Holy See and the Jewish people and Jewish state."

The Pope's next line went: "I greet all the people of Israel with prayerful good wishes."

The Pope announced that "in the footsteps of my predecessors, I have come as a pilgrim to the Holy Land, rich in history and home to the principal events in the origin and growth of the three great monotheistic religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam."

Netanyahu said of the land in question: "We regained our independence in our ancestral homeland, to be a free people in our land, the land of Zion and Jerusalem."

The Pope also informed his hosts that "during my pilgrimage to the Holy Land I will visit some of the most significant places in Jerusalem, a city of universal importance."

Regarding Jerusalem, Netanyahu told his guest that "you are leaving here for Jerusalem, our eternal capital, the heart of our faith. In Jerusalem and around our country, the prophets' vision of our people's renaissance is being fulfilled."

Sometimes nuances make little difference, but not in this case.

Those who listened carefully to the Pope couldn't miss the point that his holiness didn't once refer to Israel as a Jewish state; and by continuously calling Israel "the Holy Land" he reinforced the Vatican's traditional position that refuses to recognize Israel as a Jewish state.

This is even more disturbing in light of the Pope's speech in Bethlehem earlier in the day, in which he framed his presence not as a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, but as an official visit to "the State of Palestine."

To highlight this difference once again, Netanyahu put the "Land of Israel" first, and then "the Holy Land." The Pope chose to emphasize that the Holy Land is the birthplace of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. In doing so he erred on two accounts: As of yet there is not a Palestinian state, and Islam did not originate in the Holy Land.

Though the Vatican would like to claim the Holy Land for itself, the truth is that the only place in the Bible where the Land of Israel is referred to as the "holy land" is found in Zechariah 2, where God fulfills His promise to the people of Israel, through which all those faithful to God will be blessed as well.

In other words, if there is to be peace, Israel as a Jewish state must exist. Though no one should doubt the Pope's genuine desire for peace, it looks as if he to fails to realize that it will not come by insistently labeling this country as "the Holy Land." Peace will come when the people of the world, including the Jewish people, will submit themselves to the God of Israel, who is never once biblically referred to as the God of the Holy Land.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

Share on facebook

Share on twitter

Share on email

Share on print

More Sharing Services

Monday, May 26, 2014 | Tsvi Sadan

Share on facebook

Share on twitter

Share on email

Share on print

More Sharing Services

Enlarge

Related Stories
Pope Under Political Pressure on 'Religious' Holy Land Visit
Knesset: Christians Are No Longer 'Arabs'
Nazareth Christians Warned Against 'Slandering' Allah

Topics:
Christians

In accordance with diplomatic protocol, upon arrival to Israel on Sunday, Pope Francis gave a short speech, as did his hosts, President Shimon Peres and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

There was genuine warmth and friendship, but their concise speeches also revealed the ongoing profound differences between Israel and the Vatican.

Netanyahu opened up with the words: "Welcome to our land, the Land of Israel, the Holy Land."

Pope Francis opened up with: "Thank you most heartily for your welcome to the State of Israel."

Netanyahu's speech continued: "I welcome the good relations between the Holy See and the Jewish people and Jewish state."

The Pope's next line went: "I greet all the people of Israel with prayerful good wishes."

The Pope announced that "in the footsteps of my predecessors, I have come as a pilgrim to the Holy Land, rich in history and home to the principal events in the origin and growth of the three great monotheistic religions, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam."

Netanyahu said of the land in question: "We regained our independence in our ancestral homeland, to be a free people in our land, the land of Zion and Jerusalem."

The Pope also informed his hosts that "during my pilgrimage to the Holy Land I will visit some of the most significant places in Jerusalem, a city of universal importance."

Regarding Jerusalem, Netanyahu told his guest that "you are leaving here for Jerusalem, our eternal capital, the heart of our faith. In Jerusalem and around our country, the prophets' vision of our people's renaissance is being fulfilled."

Sometimes nuances make little difference, but not in this case.

Those who listened carefully to the Pope couldn't miss the point that his holiness didn't once refer to Israel as a Jewish state; and by continuously calling Israel "the Holy Land" he reinforced the Vatican's traditional position that refuses to recognize Israel as a Jewish state.

This is even more disturbing in light of the Pope's speech in Bethlehem earlier in the day, in which he framed his presence not as a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, but as an official visit to "the State of Palestine."

To highlight this difference once again, Netanyahu put the "Land of Israel" first, and then "the Holy Land." The Pope chose to emphasize that the Holy Land is the birthplace of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. In doing so he erred on two accounts: As of yet there is not a Palestinian state, and Islam did not originate in the Holy Land.

Though the Vatican would like to claim the Holy Land for itself, the truth is that the only place in the Bible where the Land of Israel is referred to as the "holy land" is found in Zechariah 2, where God fulfills His promise to the people of Israel, through which all those faithful to God will be blessed as well.

In other words, if there is to be peace, Israel as a Jewish state must exist. Though no one should doubt the Pope's genuine desire for peace, it looks as if he to fails to realize that it will not come by insistently labeling this country as "the Holy Land." Peace will come when the people of the world, including the Jewish people, will submit themselves to the God of Israel, who is never once biblically referred to as the God of the Holy Land.

Want more news from Israel?
Click Here to sign up for our FREE daily email updates

Share on facebook

Share on twitter

Share on email

Share on print

More Sharing Services

Annukka

What Hurts?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.05.2014 07:48

What Hurts?

A young man went to the doctor’s office and complained that his body hurt wherever he touches it.

“Impossible!” said the doctor. “Show me.”

The chap took his finger, pushed on his left cheek and screamed, then he pushed his elbow and screamed even louder. He pushed his knee and screamed; likewise, he pushed his ankle and screamed. Everywhere he touched made him scream.

“The problem is quite clear,” the doctor responded. “Your finger is broken!”
Annukka

For Shame, Pope Francis

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.05.2014 19:16

Annukka

Is the Pope Naked?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.05.2014 19:35

Annukka

Dry Bones

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.05.2014 09:27

Annukka

Dry Bones