ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 20.05.2014 09:47

Annukka

Dry Bones

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.05.2014 09:04

Annukka

Lifesaving Israeli Invention

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.05.2014 20:49

18 Lifesaving Israeli Invention

Israeli ingenuity is benefiting people everywhere. Here are 18 inventions designed to save lives.

Every day, ISRAEL21c reports on Israeli innovations that are making life easier and better across the globe, from medical and agricultural advances to social-action initiatives and high-tech wonders.

To celebrate the 66th Israel Independence Day, we bring you 18 innovations from Israel specifically designed to save lives – some already on the market and some coming soon. In Hebrew, the number 18 corresponds to the word “chai” (“life”). We’re sure you will share our pride in Israeli ingenuity benefiting humankind everywhere.

1. The First Care Emergency Bandage (also known as the “Israeli bandage”), invented by an Israeli military medic, is used to stop bleeding from hemorrhagic wounds in trauma situations. Credited for saving the life of US Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in a 2011 shooting, the bandage is widely used by military medics and civilian first-responders the world over.

2. A fatal car crash can happen in a split second. That’s why Jerusalem-based Mobileye technology for identifying and alerting to driving hazards is being built into virtually every new vehicle in the world. Mobileye is the largest private high-tech company in Israel and the world’s largest R&D center for artificial vision.

Jerusalem-based Mobileye technology

3. SensAheart a product made by the Israeli diagnostic technology company Novamed, can be used at home and in the hospital to detect a heart attack coming on.

4. Tel Aviv’s Cheetah Medical invented the NICOM non-invasive cardiac output monitor to prevent sepsis, a life-threatening blood infection that causes one in four hospital deaths and is one of the top 10 causes of death in the United States. Using a patented technology, the NICOM monitors hemodynamics – the movement of blood from the heart to the body’s organs – via four sensors and enables medical professionals to better diagnose and treat the patient.

NICOM non-invasive cardiac output monitor

5. The adjustable, disposable Lubo Airway Collar by Inovytec is a novel airway management and cervical collar device for cases of severe trauma to the neck and spine. It is the first-ever non-invasive device that can open an airway by imitating a jaw-thrust maneuver while protecting the cervical spine en route to the hospital.

6. The Agilite Instant Harness, the world’s smallest Class II rappelling harness, saved the lives of South African miners trapped underground in 2013, The same Israeli company also makes the Injured Personnel Carrier, a novel hands-free device that allows one rescuer to carry an incapacitated person like a “human backpack.”

Agilite Instant Harness

7. The Babysense breathing monitor by HiSense alerts parents of respiratory cessation (apnea) in babies. The Israeli breakthrough technology has helped protect more than 600,000 babies from crib death around the world, and has been copied by numerous other manufacturers.

Babysense breathing monitor by HiSense

8. XSight Systems’ award-winning FODetect advanced runway sensors keep runways around the world safe from foreign object debris (FOD), birds and wildlife with a unique hybrid optical-radar remote-sensing technology. Direct damage to aircraft caused by FOD is estimated to cost the aviation industry some $4 billion each year. FOD-related damage caused the supersonic jetliner Concorde to crash in 2000, killing 113 people.

9. Hyginex makes a smart bracelet to be worn by every staff member in a hospital to make sure that all personnel wash their hands after contact with patients. Clean hands can practically eliminate most hospital-borne infections. Nurses, doctors and even candy-stripers know it, but Hyginex enforces it.

Hyginex smart bracelet

10. When the iMayDay iPhone app senses that your car has been in a collision, it sets off an alarm and emails five pre-determined addresses (or generates up to 50 SMS messages) to inform emergency workers and/or loved ones about the accident. It works anywhere in the world. iMayDay App

11. PerSys Medical’s Blizzard Survival line of products, including blankets and jackets, leads the market in hypothermia care. The Blizzard Jacket was pivotal last March in the rescue of a mother and son by the Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team in Wales. The lifesaving wraps withstand temperatures as low as -4 F/-20 C.

PerSys Medical’s Blizzard Survival line of products

12. Micromedic Technologies specializes in developing and commercializing novel and innovative cancer diagnostic kits enabling early intervention. The company’s portfolio spans cancer and cancer-related indications including colorectal cancer, breast cancer, cervical cancer, bladder cancer, lung cancer, and diagnostic tools for personalized treatment.

13. It started out as a rescue “spider” in 2005, and today the Israeli-made Skysaver is deployed to help evacuate skyscrapers in emergency situations. The device is worn like a backpack and includes a fire-resistant cord that can rappel rescued people to safety.

14. The NowForce smartphone app uses GPS crowd-sourcing tech to rally first-response teams quickly. NowForce was developed jointly with United Hatzalah, a Jerusalem-based non-profit that trains thousands of neighborhood volunteers to respond to emergencies on foot or ambucycle before ambulances arrive. United Hatzalah teaches its model of community-powered call centers throughout the world.

15. Wearable devices are becoming the rage for doing everything from counting calories to counting reps at the gym. The Oxitone watch is a wearable device that could save your life by measuring blood oxygen levels and alerting to a potential heart attack well before it happens. It’s expected on the market within a year.

Oxitone watch is a wearable device

16. Autotalks – maker of the world’s first automotive-grade chipset for series-production for vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication – aims to keep drivers and passengers safer by allowing cars to exchange data. The technology analyzes data transmitted by the on-board processing units of nearby vehicles and warns drivers of any imminent danger. The Israeli company expects all car manufacturers will integrate its systems by 2015.

Autotalks

17. BiondVax has completed trials of its universal flu vaccine first developed at the Weizmann Institute of Science. Pending commercial agreements with governments around the world to continue development, the vaccine could be in the market within two years. Influenza can be deadly. Between 1976 and 2006, flu-associated deaths in the United States alone were estimated to be in the thousands, possibly as many as 49,000. The 1918 flu pandemic killed three to five percent of the world’s population at the time.

Biondvax production roomThe Biondvax production room.

18. Wherever disaster strikes in the world – be it natural or manmade – Israel is always among the first to send medical and search-and-rescue teams and supplies, even when it lacks diplomatic relations with the country in crisis.

An Israeli mobile hospital in Haiti. Photo by Ambassador Daniel SaadaAn Israeli mobile hospital in Haiti.
Photo by Ambassador Daniel Saada.

Governmental and non-governmental agencies (including Israel Flying Aid, IsraAID, Israeli Humanitarian Aid-Latet, Israel Trauma Coalition, ZAKA, Magen David Adom, Tevel B’Tzedek and many others) have been among those on the scene saving lives after disasters including:

The 2004 tsunami in Sri Lanka; Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans in 2005; the 2007 earthquake in Peru; the 2008 cyclone in Myanmar; Philippines typhoons in 2009 and 2013; the Haiti earthquake in 2010 ; a 2010 hospital fire in Romania ; the Japan earthquake and tsunami and the Turkish earthquakes in 1999 and 2011 ; and Hurricane Sandy on the US East Coast in 2012.

Israel also set up a field hospital on its border to treat victims of the Syrian civil war, and continues to provide – without charge – lifesaving treatment of wounded Syrian civilians at its northern hospitals.

This article originally appeared on http://israel21c.org/.

This article can be read on-line at: http://www.aish.com/jw/id/18-Lifesaving ... tions.html
Annukka

Dry Bones

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.05.2014 10:17

Annukka

Iranian Woman Shares Journey of Faith in Jerusalem

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.05.2014 20:23

Iranian Woman Shares Journey of Faith in Jerusalem

Thursday, May 22, 2014 | Charles Gardner

Related Stories
More stoning of Christians on Temple Mount
German Christian aid worker sees the real Israel
Israeli Newspaper: Must Protect Christian Arabs With Our Lives

Topics:
Christians

A British-based Iranian woman brought up as a devoted Muslim has told a conference in Jerusalem how she became a Christian after an encounter with the God of the Bible.

She heard His voice as she watched a movie about Jesus, and later responded to His personal invitation spelt out in the Book of Revelation.

At the time Esther Esfahani was in the midst of divorce proceedings against her husband because he had become a Christian, but they were subsequently reconciled and her entire family is now following Jesus.

[Editor's Note: We have not used her real name for security reasons as the Iranian government not only persecutes Christians but has also vowed to destroy Israel.]

Esther was addressing a conference in Jerusalem called At the Crossroads aimed at deepening bonds of reconciliation between Arab and other Muslim-background Christians and Jewish followers of Jesus.

Delegates arrived from all over the Middle East and beyond - some at risk to their lives - to sample the hospitality of their Jewish brothers and be shown around some of the Holy Land sites.

Shortly after moving to England some years ago, Esther started a coffee shop and took on some Christian staff. But she left strict instructions that they were not to talk about their faith.

On her day off, Esther's husband, who worked elsewhere, took care of the shop, and one day she noticed a book about Christianity on top of the dishes. It turned out that her husband had decided to follow Jesus.

Speaking in Farsi, translated by her sister, she said: "I had this idea that if you're a Muslim and you accept another religion something bad will happen to you."

Two weeks later she saw a Bible in the shop. "I got so angry I kicked out the Christian staff and initiated divorce proceedings against my husband - we had been married 19 years."

She wasn't just a committed follower of Islam; she had actually taught the Koran. In Esther's own words:

"So I told him I could not be with him any longer if he was now a Christian. But the angrier I became, the calmer he grew. He was being so kind.

"So to prove Islam is better I started to read more of the Koran and wrote down what was either good or interesting. But then I discovered things that weren't so good, like all this about cutting hands and taking multiple wives. So I decided not to read it anymore, but still wanted to divorce my husband.

"So I went to inform my sister about this, only to find that she too had become a Christian! And a little later, when my husband was away, she suggested we watch a movie together.

"It was all about Jesus, and I was so angry that people opposed him when he had done so many good things.

"Then suddenly I heard a voice saying: 'You are just the same! You are watching this, but cannot believe it.' I looked around to see who was speaking, but there was no-one there.

"I subsequently got quite depressed because I didn't have any kind of relationship with God and after all these years was suffering at the hands of my husband.

"So when my sister took a shower, I secretly picked up her Bible and started to read it. Eventually I prayed: 'If you're real and alive, can you start speaking to me as you speak to them?'

"And that evening I opened the Bible at random (as Muslims do with the Koran) and it fell open at Revelation (the last book of the New Testament). My eyes were drawn to the words of Jesus, which said: 'Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.' (Rev 3.20)

"I was so afraid I was shaking. So I closed the book, but then opened it again at the very same place, at which point I just fell down and said, 'OK, you are God; I want to accept you!'

"Next day I was crying when I called my husband, who at first misunderstood as he pleaded for me to give him another chance. But I told him that, when he came home, I wanted to read the Bible with him and together commit our way to Jesus.

"By this time he too was crying as he thanked God for answering his prayers.

"When he returned, my heart had been totally changed and I was in love with my husband. My two sons noticed the difference in our lives and how Jesus had brought peace out of conflict, and now all our family are serving God in church."

Esther finished by praying for all Iranians and believes the gift of God her family has experienced is also available to all Muslims.
Annukka

Dry Bones

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.05.2014 13:11

Annukka

Dry Bones

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.05.2014 07:48

Annukka

Palestinian Christian: Jesus Didn't Call to Boycott Israel

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.05.2014 08:02

Palestinian Christian: Jesus Didn't Call to Boycott Israel

Friday, May 23, 2014 | Ryan Jones

Christy Anastas is a young Palestinian Christian who has done something most in her community fail to do, either out of ignorance, fear or disillusionment: tell the truth about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. She does so even though her family has been affected more than most by Israel’s security “wall.” Israel Today's Ryan Jones asked Christy to further explain her views.

The full interview appears in the June 2014 issue of Israel Today Magazine.
Annukka

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.05.2014 08:06

Arabs Yearn for Israeli-Style Democracy

Friday, May 23, 2014 | Israel Today Staff

Related Stories
New Israeli opposition leader would meet most Arab demands
Poll: Most Israelis support settlements
'Pashkevil' Replaces TV, Radio and Internet

Topics:
Israel

The recent conviction of former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on graft charges has many in the Arab world salivating over what they once again realize is the region’s only true democracy.

Israeli-Arab journalist Khaled Abu Toameh noted in a recent analysis for the Gatestone Institute that corruption is so rampant in the Arab world that today it is the norm, and many see emulating Israel as the only way out of this oppressive phenomenon.

“The…decision to send former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to six years in prison for corruption has prompted calls in the Arab world for endorsing Israel’s standards of accountability, transparency and justice,” Abu Toameh reported.

He commenters on mainstream Arabic media websites, such as:

Abu Zeid, Al-Arabiya: “I live in Israel and am familiar with its laws. In this state, no one is above the law.”

Yasalam, Al-Aan: “If Olmert were in Kuwait, his case would have been shelved and he would have received a senior position in government.”

Saad Sayad, Arabic CNN: “Law is above all and this is real democracy. Israel is the only real democracy in the Middle East.”

Even the Palestinian Authority struck an envious tone.

“This verdict provides further evidence that the judicial system in Israel is fully independent in the wake of the separation between the legislative, executive and judicial authorities, as well as total freedom of the media,” wrote Sufian Abu Zayda, a senior member of Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah faction.

But Abu Toameh, who himself is supportive of Israel, was quick to point out that these views do not mark a shift in the traditional anti-Israel positions of most in the Arab world.

As Sami Dirani, a commenter on Al-Hayat, stated: “Israel is the enemy of the Arabs…but it practices democracy - something the Arabs do not know. That is why Israel is stronger and more advanced than the Arabs, who are busy slaughtering each other. Some [Arabs] are dying of starvation, while others are swimming in pools of dollars.”

Want more news from Israel?
Annukka

Palestinians: The New "Noble Savage"

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.05.2014 08:15

Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum