Israel: Angry Palestinian Leaders Need 'Hug From Santa'

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 | Ryan Jones

Related Stories
Bethlehem bans contact with Israel
Bethlehem BDS conference turns ugly...for Palestinians
New Palestinian PM signals return to days of Arafat

Topics:
Palestinians

In what has become a new local Christmas tradition, the Palestinian Arabs this week again claimed Jesus as one of their own.

It matters not that every single shred of historical evidence identifies the Jews, not the Arabs, as the dominant ethnic presence in the land two thousand years ago. The Palestinians have decided that Jesus himself was Palestinian - a nationality that didn’t even exist at the time - and there appears to be little-to-nothing anyone can say to make them see otherwise.

Set in their delusion, the Palestinian leadership on Monday issued a lengthy statement calling Jesus “a Palestinian messenger who would become a guiding light for millions around the world.” An animated video posted to YouTube by the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) made similar claims.

Initially irritated by the farce, Israeli leaders now seem more amused than anything else that the Palestinians are clinging ever tighter to this fantasy.

Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas “should have read the Gospels before uttering such offensive nonsense, but we will forgive him because he doesn’t know what he’s doing,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor told The Times of Israel, echoing Jesus own forgiveness of his ignorant executioners.

Palmor went on to note that Abbas’ official statement, which harshly blamed Israel for the lack of peace and the exodus of Christians from the region, was “not exactly in the spirit of Christmas. Maybe he needs a hug from Santa?”

Want more news from Israel?
Annukka

Bethlehem Christian Blames Islam, Not Israel, for Dwindling

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.12.2013 21:04

Bethlehem Christian Blames Islam, Not Israel, for Dwindling Numbers

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 | Israel Today Staff

Related Stories
From Islam to Christianity – Apostasy that Enlightens - Part I
Israeli rabbis remain hesitant to accept Christian support
Muslims stone Christians on Temple Mount

Topics:
Christians

A Christian community leader and researcher from the Bethlehem suburb of Beit Sahour provided journalists with a very candid explanation for the exodus of Christians from the birthplace of Jesus: encroaching Muslim extremism.

While most public figures among the Palestinian Arab Christian community will without blinking an eye blame Israel for all their woes, Samir Qumsieh, who operates a small local TV station, says these Christian leaders are “cowards” who are either deceived or compelled into toeing the line of the official Palestinian narrative.

In remarks carried by the Times of Israel, Qumsieh acknowledged that the regional conflict and ongoing Israeli security measures have taken their toll on the Christian community, but did not seem to lay overall blame on the Jewish state.

Instead, Qumsieh insisted that the greatest threats facing local Christians, who now make up only one-third of Bethlehem’s population, are emigration, low birth rates and subtle, but mounting discrimination at the hands of the Muslims.

Qumsieh explained that local Christian families typically only have two children, far fewer than the average Muslim family. Combined with over a decade of Christian emigration, and you have a net loss, which, according to Qumsieh, is only encouraging the Muslims to become more aggressive.

Currently, incidents of discrimination, such as removing crosses from locally-sold products, are so subtle as to not elicit any serious foreign attention. “The discrimination is concealed,” said Qumsieh, “and that makes it more dangerous.” But he believes a storm is coming, as evidenced by the arrival of more radical groups like Al Qaeda.

Christian political leaders, such as Bethlehem Mayor Vera Baboun, remain adamant that “when we talk about the Christian-Muslim relationship in Palestine [sic] we talk about a very healthy relationship.”

But, as Qumsieh told the Times of Israel, “In her position, [Baboun] couldn’t say otherwise.”

Want more news from Israel?
Annukka

Learning to Face Rejection

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 25.12.2013 19:43

Learning to Face Rejection

By Menucha Chana Levin

Two sweet-looking little girls, about four years old, are running along beside a playground, ponytails bobbing in the sunlight. They are clasping hands, a symbol of their friendship. Tagging along right behind them is another little girl, whose longing to join the duo is clear. She catches up to them, grabbing the free hand of one girl, who quickly shakes it off.

Instantly the two children turn on the third, one glaring furiously, the other making a nasty face. Neither says a word, but their message is clear, their rejection of the third child painfully obvious.

The two children turn on the third, glaring furiously

Bewildered, she stares at them, shocked by their cruel rebuff, uncomprehending sadness in her brown eyes. The two girls scamper off, still clutching each other’s hands, their smug silence louder than any scalding words they might have tossed at her.

Looking at the child’s dejected little face, I share her hurt. Though it happened decades ago, I still vividly remember the pain of rejection by my mean classmates, like a shard of glass in my heart.

Part of me wants to scoop up this little child and gently wipe away her painful tears.

“Those girls have a lot to learn about kindness,” I want to tell her. “They don’t appreciate how sweet you are. Soon you’ll find some real friends, much nicer girls than those.”

I realize this is just her first taste of the bitterness of rejection. Unfortunately, as she grows through her life’s journey, she will have to face many other painful moments of rejection.

When she sits there, anxiously waiting, and isn’t chosen for the softball team after all.

When she tries out for, but doesn’t get, a part in the school play, while her less-talented classmate is given a starring role.

When she receives a brief, polite letter from the college she was longing to attend, disappointingly turning her down.

Later, when the hoped-for engagement doesn't happen after all, though the two of them had so much in common and communicated so well, and she felt sure this time that he was the one. Her bubble of happiness bursting in her face, she is left devastated.

The job interview that went so smoothly—she handled the challenging questions easily, possessing all the required knowledge and experience—but in the end, she doesn’t get the position she knew would have been ideal for her career.

Yes, little girl, I can relate all too well. Like all writers, I have to face rejection on a regular basis, each time the story or
I can relate all too well
article in which I invested so much time and effort turns out to be “not suitable” for the publication’s current needs. Yet I have come to realize over the years that achievement and acceptance are hard work, acknowledging there is more work to do before we are as polished as we need to be. I’ve become realistic that more learning and experience are often needed.

Rejection, though often painful, is a part of life, and we need to find a way to recoup and try again. Of course, it’s completely normal to feel upset after a disappointment. However, if you permit yourself to feel frustrated for too long, then you risk negatively affecting future events. You should view this experience as an opportunity to learn and approach the future with more resilience.

Sometimes you realize later on that the situation actually turned out to be for the best.

I recall a saying I once read: “After a rejection, you could get bitter. Or you could get better.”

Sweet little girl, still standing there in dazed puzzlement, what can I say to you now to comfort you?

You must remember there is Someone who will never reject you, no matter what happens. Your Father in heaven will never turn you away, and you can turn to Him always.

As King David, personally familiar with the bitterness of rejection, says in Psalms: “For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but G‑d gathers me in.”

May He always watch over you, little girl, as you set forth on your own journey through life, with all of the challenges that lie in store.
Annukka

Eliezer Ben Yehuda

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 25.12.2013 19:52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X-n7iO9I0g

The translation of the song follows:

Like the prophets, zealous about G-d (in Hebrew also name / noun)

He was zealous about the verb,
the adjective, and the noun.

And at midnight, oil-lamp in his window,

He would write in his dictionary stacks

and stacks of nice words, words

which fly, which roll from the tongue.

Eliezer, when will you lie down to sleep

You're practically bent over.

And Hebrew, which has waited 2,000 years

Will still be waiting for you at dawn.

Eliezer Ben Yehuda,

An amusing Jew.

Words, words, words

He invented from his feverish brain.

If Hebrew has slept for 2,000 years, so what?

Come, let's wake it up, and invent "initiative" (yozma), clothes-iron (mag-hetz), bomb (p'tzatza),
furniture (rihut).

With feather tip, in fluid writing,

He wrote k'ruvit (cauliflower), he wrote g'lida (ice cream);
he wrote all of the Ben Yehuda Dictionary.

And he went on creating words,

And his fast quill didn't rest,

And the language grew

And didn't recognize itself in the morning.

Eliezer Ben Yehuda ...

And when a son was born to him, he said:

This firstborn I will call Ben Yehuda, Itamar

Who from infancy to withering

From the day of his entering the covenant

(brit-milah) until his death

Will have a covenant, with Hebrew

And will fight to wipe out foreign language.

Itamar - truly became a man,

Tall, handsome and well-spoken,

And the language he spoke was Hebrew.

Itamar Ben-Avi (In Hebrew an Acronym for Eliezer Ben Yehuda)

Whose father was a prophet,

A man after my own heart.

Eliezer Ben Yehuda ...

YOM HULEDET SAMEACH LA'IVRIT

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEBREW!!!
Annukka

The Priest's Christmas Battle

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.12.2013 09:14

The Priest's Christmas Battle

(Adapted from article by Gilad Sharon, son of former prime minister, Ariel Sharon, p. 24, Yediot Aharonot, Dec. 22, 2013)

Despite his full beard, this priest is a young man. His penetrating look and burning faith are much like the "Son of God" carrying the cross in the picture on the wall behind him. Father Gabriel Nadaf carries a similar heavy burden on his shoulders: to lead the Christians in Israel to enlist in the Israeli Army. His Muslim neighbors hate him; even some of his Christian neighbors reject him for his loyalty to Israel.

Christians (Arabs) are a minority within a minority here in Israel. They are a minority even in Nazareth. Yet in Israel their condition is better than in any neighboring country. In Bethlehem, they are persecuted. In Gaza, Egypt and Syria, their condition is catastrophic. Christians in our area are well-educated and successful, yet always persecuted. There is no future for them in the Arab (Muslim) world around them.

There is no reason why Christians can't serve in the army. This is part of the fabric of Israeli society. This is a minority group of high quality; it is our duty to help them. If Father Nadaf has chosen Israel, then we need to adopt him and his whole community, warmly in our hearts.
Annukka

The Ducks

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.12.2013 18:31

Annukka

Re: This and That

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.12.2013 18:37

Praying Your New Year is Blessed

Lord,
As a new year begins,
we come to You and ask for Your blessing.

We pray that you would give us joy to fill our days,
peace to fill our hearts,
and love to fill our lives.

Thank You for the plans You have for us in this new year.
We wait in anticipation to see all You will do!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

CLICK HERE to share this Blessing for 2014 as a Free E-Card.

A New Year is God's Gift

In the joyful moments - thank Him.
In the busy moments - bless Him.
In the trying moments - trust Him.
In the quiet moments - praise Him.
-Roy Lessin

Each day is a day that God has given us, and each moment of that day is in His hands.

CLICK HERE to share this message from Meet Me In The Meadow.
Annukka

God's Love Keeps Us Close

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 30.12.2013 21:47

God's Love Keeps Us Close
Across The Miles

No matter how far apart we are
as we celebrate God's goodness,
His love is a blessing that is
welcomed in our homes,
appreciated at our tables,
and shared in our hearts.

Know that you're thought of, missed, and wished the very best He has to give both now and always.

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love endures forever. Psalm 118:29

CLICK HERE to share this Thanksgiving message as a Free E-Card
Annukka Viestit: 203Liittynyt: 24.11.2013 19:34
Annukka

Re: This and That

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.01.2014 07:49

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014 TO EVERYONE! MAY GOD BLESS YOUR EVERY MOMENTS! Annukka and family of forum
Annukka

Nazareth Christians Launch New Website, Tourism Effort

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 01.01.2014 07:50

Nazareth Christians Launch New Website, Tourism Effort

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 | Israel Today Staff

Related Stories
UPDATE: Son of Pro-IDF Priest Attacked in Nazareth
What Did Yeshua Look Like?
Modern Day Exodus: the Palestinian Christians - Part III

Topics:
Christians

Christians from Nazareth, many of them belonging to the same group that encourages young “Arab” Christians to join the Israeli army, have launched a new website and effort to draw tourism to their city.

The name of the movement is Deglei Habrith (Flags of the Covenant), and its logo features two intertwined flags bearing the Cross and the Star of David.

Among the group’s stated goals is the construction of a large statue of Jesus at Mount Precipice (think Rio de Janeiro), the site where Luke 4:29–30 records a mob attempting to shove Jesus off a cliff. Deglei Habrith director Capt. Bishara Shlayan emphasized that the group does not believe in the use of idols, but hopes the massive statue will “be a symbol of peace, cultivate the sense of pride of Christians in the country, and will be an international tourist place that will help the economy of Nazareth and the Holy Land.”

Unlike most Arabic speakers in the region, when Bishara and others of the movement speak of the Holy Land, they mean Israel.

Deglei Habrith also lists among its beliefs and goals the following:
•Israel is our country and we support it.
•The State of Israel is the state of the Covenant People, a democratic and egalitarian state that provides equal rights and opportunity, while requesting equal responsibility, without discrimination based on sex, race, religion, class or world view.
•We will work for the full integration of the local Christian community in Israel in all areas.
•We will provide support and guidance for Christians joining the Israeli army or choosing to do national service.
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum