tuumis

This and That

Valvoja: Annukka

The Miraculous Easter Dinner

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.04.2014 08:53

The Miraculous Easter Dinner

I love everything about making Easter dinner except the Saturday shopping. That day, the supermarket can be as crowded as a department store at Christmas. And this Easter, on top of my regular checklist, I had to buy the ingredients for a delicious new recipe I’d discovered: sliced ham and turkey layered with Swiss cheese and spinach, all wrapped in pastry dough.

Trouble was, my work schedule had left me no time to shop earlier in the week.

I’ll get up extra early and take care of everything Saturday morning, I thought, as I drove to the office Friday. But that morning Yola, one of my co-workers, asked if my husband, Robert, and I would help her move the next day. “I really don’t have anybody else to ask,” she apologized.

“Sure,” I told her, soft touch that I am. Bright and early Saturday morning, Robert, my 15-year-old son Ben, and I drove our pickup to her old apartment. Oh, the piles of furniture and boxes! It took us till late afternoon to get her settled in her new place.

By the time we returned home, I was spent. I don’t know how I’m going to go shopping now, let alone cook Easter dinner, I thought. The only ingredient I had at home was the spinach.

On the kitchen counter were two shopping bags of food Yola had sent home with us – her thanks for helping her move. She was leaving on a trip the next day, and didn’t want the food to go to waste.

I reached into the first bag and pulled out a package of sliced ham. Well, that’s lucky, I thought. At least I can cross one thing off my list.

Then I pulled out a package of sliced turkey, and another of Swiss cheese.

That’s odd, I thought. There’s no way Yola knew my Easter dinner plans.

I reached back into the grocery bag, thinking of the Easter miracle. All of sudden, the strangest feeling came over me. My hand closed around a package near the bottom of the bag. I lifted it out. It was a box of pastry dough – the final ingredient I needed for my recipe.
Annukka

Dry Bones

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.04.2014 10:19

Annukka

Israel blesses the world

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.04.2014 20:31

Israel blesses the world

IDE Technologies, an Israeli company which specializes in water desalinization, recently received the Global Water Award for the best desalination facility of the year from the Global Water Intelligence publication at the Global Water Summit in Paris, France. The award was given to honor the company's Sorek facility, just south of Tel Aviv, which has a capacity of 624,000 cu.m. per day, making it the largest seawater reverse osmosis process plant in the world. IDE also received an honorable mention in the category of desalination company of the year. The company has also built large desalinization plants in China and Cyprus, and recently began work on projects in India and California.
Annukka

Re: This and That

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 25.04.2014 07:39

BREAKFAST FOR THOUGHT

Squeeze the past like a sponge, smell the present like a rose, and send a kiss to the future.

-Arabic proverb
Annukka

Dry Bones

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 25.04.2014 10:23

Annukka

Dry Bones

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.04.2014 08:59

Annukka

Call Him...

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.04.2014 10:59

Call Him...

God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name. Philippians 2:9

His footsteps are your guidance, call Him The Way.
His majesty is your worship, call Him Mighty God.
His presence is your delight, call Him Wonderful.
His truth is your foundation, call Him Rock.
His will is your purpose, call Him Lord.
His kindness is your comfort, call Him Shepherd.
His promises are your hope, call Him Faithful.
His riches are your supply, call Him Provider.
His fellowship is your reward, call Him Life.
His authority is your confidence, call Him King.
His return is your hope, call Him Omega.
His heart is your home, call Him Love.

-Devotional message by Roy Lessin, from his blog Meet Me In The Meadow.
CLICK HERE to read the message and connect on Roy's blog.

When What God is Doing Doesn't Make Sense

There will be times in all of our lives when we simply don't understand how God is working. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't align with what we can grasp with our minds. It doesn't fit into the way we believe things happen in this world. How will our hearts react in those moments?

You've heard the story: Four determined men try to get a paralytic to Jesus. But the crowd is too large so they lower their friend through the roof. Jesus responds to their faith by setting the soul and body of the paralytic free. "But some of the scribes were sitting there, questioning in their hearts. 'Why does this man speak like that? He is blaspheming!'" (Mark 2:6).

You know this story too: Angels appear to shepherds and tell them about a baby who has come to be the Saviour of the world. The shepherds rush to find Him and show up just as unannounced as a man dropped through a roof. But Mary doesn't doubt what's unexpectedly unfolding in front of her. Instead she "treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart" (Luke 2:19).

The Scribes and Mary have this in common: They are both witnesses to God's work. And they are both part of scenes that don't make much sense from a human perspective. But their responses couldn't be more different. The Scribes doubtfully question while Mary faithfully ponders.
The Scribes didn't understand at all what God was doing or trust who He was.
Mary didn't understand all God was doing but she did trust who He was.
It's a small distinction that changes everything.

The reality is, we will never fully grasp all God is doing this side of heaven. But He does want us to really know this with all our hearts: He is good, He loves us and He's working on our behalf in ways beyond what we can even comprehend.

-Devotional excerpt by Holley Gerth, from her blog Heart to Heart with Holley.
CLICK HERE to read the full story and be encouraged by God's redeeming grace!

Blessed Be Your Name

Songwriter, Matt Redman, states that Blessed Be Your Name was written as "a realization that we will all face seasons of pain or unease. And in these seasons we will need to find our voice before God. The Church (and indeed the world) needs its songs of lament."

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord still I will say
Blessed be the name of the Lord

DaySpring's Lyrics for Life Collection features over 40 long-loved hymns and popular worship songs that will help you reflect and worship.
Annukka

the Holocaust Memorial Day

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 28.04.2014 11:32

Tomorrow, Monday on the Holocaust Memorial Day - השואה יום
(Yom HaShoah) we will remember all the Six Million Jews who were murdered during that dreadful period.

Holocaust is a word of Greek origin meaning “sacrifice by fire.” The Nazis, who came to power in Germany in January 1933, believed that Germans were “racially superior” and that the Jews, deemed “inferior,” were an alien threat to the so-called German racial community.

Between the Nazi rize to power in 1933 and Nazi Germany's surrender in 1945, more than 340,000 Jews emigrated from Germany and Austria. Tragically, nearly 100,000 of them found refuge in countries subsequently conquered by Germany. German authorities would deport and kill the vast majority of them.

The total number of six million Jews murdered during the Holocaust, emerged from the Nuremberg trials. Half of them were murdered in Poland alone. Below are the known numbers of murdered Jews per country in descending order:

Poland 3,001,000

Soviet Union 1,500,000

Romania 364,632

Hungary 305,000

Czechoslovakia 277,000

Germany 160,000

Lithuania 135,000

Netherlands 106,000

Latvia 85,000

France 83,000

Greece 71,301

Yugoslavia 67,122

Austria 65,000

Belgium 24,387

Italy 8,000

Estonia 4,000

Norway 728

Luxembourg 700

Africa 526

Albania 200

Denmark 77

At Ulpan-Or we issued a special online edition - a multimedia eBooklet dedicated to the Holocaust Memorial Day.
Annukka

Dry Bones

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 29.04.2014 09:38

Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum