God's Love Keeps Us Close
Across The Miles

No matter how far apart we are
as we celebrate God's goodness,
His love is a blessing that is
welcomed in our homes,
appreciated at our tables,
and shared in our hearts.

Know that you're thought of, missed, and wished the very best He has to give both now and always.

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love endures forever. Psalm 118:29

CLICK HERE to share this Thanksgiving message as a Free E-Card
Annukka

Christ's Love

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 02.12.2013 08:57

Christ's Love
- Christmas Blessings -

Christ's Love is greater than anyone can ever know. Ephesians 3:19

Jesus is the Saviour...Receive Him
He's the Shepherd...Follow Him
He's the King...Serve Him
He's the Lord...Trust Him
He's the Christ...Worship Him
He's the Life...Enjoy Him!
Annukka

How about saying "TARNEGOL HODU"

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 02.12.2013 21:00

How about saying "TARNEGOL HODU"

instead of a "Turkey"?

Due to our business trip, this year Orly and I happened to celebrate the first day of Chanukah with our dear friends in New York.

Having Chanukah coinciding with Thanksgiving, aka Thanksgivuakh, it was truly a unique experience to eat "latkes" - Chanukah pancakes and a Turkey under the Chanukah menorah lights.

Americans eat a Turkey on a Thanksgiving day, because it is an exclusively North American animal.

But, interestingly enough, in many countries (including America) this native American bird does not have an American name and is called a Turkey!!!

Well, according to some theories it has been introduced in Europe by Turkish merchants and was then referred to as "Turkish coq" and afterwards was shortened to just "Turkey".

In other countries this bird is called after the supposed origin from "American India".

In Russia, it's "Indyushka," bird of India.

In Poland, "Inyczka"— again "bird from India."

Across Arabia, they call our bird "Diiq Hindi," or the "Indian rooster."

And, by the way, in Turkey itself this bird is called "Hindies", similar to the American natives that are called American Indians.

In Israel we call this bird "TARNEGOL HODU" or in short just "HODU".

which means "Indian rooster".

HODU in Hebrew is India.

What's interesting about the Hebrew name of this bird is that the word HODU has an additional meaning in Hebrew:

HODU = Giving Thanks

CHAG HaHODAYA = Thanksgiving

And so now you can see that eating a Turkey - "Tarnegol Hodu" on "Chag HaHodaya" - a Thanksgiving holiday, gets a whole new dimension of thanking when expressed in Hebrew....
Annukka

Out-of-the-Darkness

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 03.12.2013 18:51

Annukka

In Jesus

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 04.12.2013 19:26

In Jesus

We not only find peace,
but we also find the Prince of Peace.
We not only find righteousness,
but we also find the Righteous One.
We not only find counsel,
but we also find the Counselor.
We not only find wonders,
but we also find the Wonderful One.
We not only find spiritual food,
but we also find the Bread of Life.
We not only find provision,
but we also find the Shepherd of our souls.
We not only find salvation,
but we also find the Savior.
We not only find the Kingdom,
but we also find the King.
-Roy Lessin
Annukka

My Hanukah Miracle

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 07.12.2013 08:28

My Hanukah Miracle

By Dror Zicherman

(Excerpted and translated from Yediot Ahronot newspaper, 29-11-13)

During Hanukah, 2005, I was serving in the Nachshon unit, with a small team of four. We received a warning of potential terrorists. We set up a surprise checkpoint. 50 minutes after checking cars, a taxi arrived from the direction of Tulkarem.

We asked the passengers to get out of the car and line up. Some seemed suspicious; especially one with a thick jacket. We stood at a distance of 15 meters and asked him to open the jacket. At that moment we heard a huge explosion. My friend, Uri, the officer of the unit, was killed instantly, and I was wounded seriously.

Then my miracles began. There happened to be a helicopter in the area that picked me up. When the doctor on board saw how seriously I was hurt, he changed directions and sent me to Hillel Yaphe hospital; which cut 15 minutes and ultimately saved my life.

I had so little blood that I lost consciousness. For 3 days I was unconscious and on artificial respiration. I passed through clinical death. On the day of the 8th candle (of Hanukah), I awoke. When I saw all the tubes and bandages, I realized how seriously I had been wounded: legs, loins, inner organs - horrible pain.

Later we learned that the bomb had been a huge explosive of 30 kilograms that could have destroyed half a building. Uri paid with his life; I paid with my body. I promised myself that I would not stay in a wheelchair, but would one day walk again.

I fulfilled that promise, after a year and a half of countless surgeries. Now 8 years later, I have overcome the physical pains but I am still dealing with the suffering of my soul every day. I realize I suffer from "battle shock." Sometimes it makes me feel better to remind myself that I saved the lives of many other people.

Let's pray for the author's emotional healing and spiritual salvation.
(top)
Annukka

Brain-Training Device May Ease Stroke Paralysis

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 08.12.2013 19:40

Brain-Training Device May Ease Stroke Paralysis

Preliminary study finds benefits long after attack

Link between cardiovascular trouble and impaired

By Brenda Goodman

HealthDay Reporter

MONDAY, Dec. 2, 2013 (HealthDay News) -- Scientists are testing a new thought-controlled device that may one day help people move limbs again after they've been paralyzed by a stroke.

The device combines a high-tech brain-computer interface with electrical stimulation of the damaged muscles to help patients relearn how to move frozen limbs.

So far, eight patients who had lost movement in one hand have been through six weeks of therapy with the device. They reported improvements in their ability to complete daily tasks.

"Things like combing their hair and buttoning their shirt," explained study author Dr. Vivek Prabhakaran, director of functional neuroimaging in radiology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

"These are patients who are months and years out from their strokes," Prabhakaran said. "Early studies suggested that there was no real room for change for these patients, that they had plateaued in the recovery. We're showing there is still room for change. There is plasticity we can harness."

To use the new tool, patients wear a cap of electrodes that picks up brain signals. Those signals are decoded by a computer. The computer, in turn, sends tiny jolts of electricity through wires to sticky pads placed on the muscles of a patient's paralyzed arm. The jolts act like nerve impulses, telling the muscles to move.

A simple video game on the computer screen prompts patients to try to hit a target by moving a ball with their affected arm. Patients practice with the game for about two hours at a time, every other day.

Researchers also scanned the patients' brains before, during and a month after they finished 15 sessions with the device.

The more patients practiced, the more they were able to train their brains, the researchers found.

The findings were scheduled for presentation Monday at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, in Chicago.

Strokes occur when blood flow to the brain stops. This happens because a blood clot blocks a blood vessel in the brain or a blood vessel breaks in the brain. Strokes often cause problems with movement and language.

Though it's an early look at evidence supporting the therapy, one expert who was not involved with the research said the results looked promising.

"Stroke is the largest cause of disability in the country," said Dr. Rafael Ortiz, director of neuro-endovascular surgery and stroke at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. "Fifty percent of stroke patients end up with severe disability, and that's out of 800,000 strokes that happen a year," he said. Better kinds of rehabilitation for stroke patients are desperately needed, he added.

"Using therapies like this, we can offer hope to patients, even six or twelve months after their stroke," he said.
Annukka

Love Came Down

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 08.12.2013 19:53

Love Came Down

The world was blessed at Christmas
with a miracle of love...
a guiding star and angel choir
rejoicing from above.
They pointed to a tiny babe
within a cattle stall -
a Saviour bringing peace on earth -
the greatest gift of all.

For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given...and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

Jesus - The Wonderful One

He is greater than any ruler...
Mightier than any warrior...
Nobler than any king...
Wiser than any sage...
Bigger than any kingdom...
Better than any crown...
Lovelier than any name...
Worthy of worship...
Deserving of praise.
-Roy Lessin

CLICK HERE to share this message from Meet Me In The Meadow.
Annukka

As Hanukkah fades, keep the light of miracles in your life.

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.12.2013 08:45

As Hanukkah fades, keep the light of miracles in your life.

by Sara Debbie Gutfreund

Stuck at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean for three days, Harrison Odjegba Okene pleaded with God for a miracle. The Nigerian cook was able to survive by breathing a gradually decreasing supply of oxygen in an air pocket on the sunken tugboat. A video of Okene’s rescue in May was posted last week. As the temperature went below freezing, Harrison recited the psalm, a prayer for deliverance: “Oh God, by Your name save me… God sustains my life.”

The other 11 seamen on the Jascon 4 died and divers had been sent to look for the bodies. Tony Walker, the project manager for the Dutch Company DCN Diving, said that the divers were called to the scene because they were working on a neighboring oil field 75 miles away. They had already brought up four bodies, and then a hand appeared on the TV screen that Walker was monitoring in the rescue boat. The diver was shocked when he went to grab the hand and it grabbed his hand back.

“It was frightening for everybody,” Walker said. “For the guy that was trapped because he didn’t know what was happening. It was a shock for the diver while he was down there looking for bodies, and we (in the control room) shot back when the hand grabbed him on the screen.” On the video there is an audible gasp of shock when the diver realizes that Okene is alive, and the rescuer shouts: “There is a survivor!” Okene could not have lasted much longer with the dwindling amount of oxygen in the air pocket.

At the beginning of the ordeal, when Okene locked himself into a cabin in the sunken ship that felt safe, he began to play back a mental tape of his whole life. His mother, his friends, his wife, the wonderful moments that he had shared with his loved ones. When he heard the sound of sharks biting at something big right outside the walls of the boat, he began fervently praying.

“I started calling on the name of God, I started reminiscing on the verses I read before I slept. I read the Bible from Psalm 54-92. My wife had sent me the verses to read that night when she called me before I went to bed.” He survived off of just one bottle of Coke for three days. The diver who rescued him warmed him up with hot water, attached him to an oxygen mask and then put him inside of a decompression chamber before bringing him to the surface.

We shake our heads in wonder. How is it possible for a person to survive for so many hours at the bottom of the ocean with just a small pocket of air and a bottle of coke?
There is a special kind of faith one needs at the bottom of the ocean. There is a special kind of prayer reserved for our darkest, most painful moments. And there is a special kind of hope when one hand reaches out for another, and it grasps it back. As the light of Hanukkah fades, now is the time to work on bringing that glow into the rest of our year. It is the time to remind ourselves that every breath that we take is a miracle. No matter how cold and dark and impossible the situation appears, the ray of light at the beginning of each day is a sign that we can emerge from the depths, hold onto each other and live again.
Annukka

Seuraava

Paluu English part of Forum