tuumis

Devotional 2016

Valvoja: Annukka

Walls and gates

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.05.2016 10:07

Tuesday 10th May 2016
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Walls and gates

"Whoever has no rule over his own spirit is like a city broken down without walls."
Proverbs 25:28, NKJV

In the days when Solomon coined this proverb, cities had protective walls. Everyone understood why. A city needed good walls to keep out the enemy so that the inhabitants could feel safe at night sleeping in their beds! To live in a city without a wall was not secure. A wall-less city was an invitation to anyone who wanted to come in and steal goods even abusing and violating the citizens who were at their mercy.

Some people seem to have lives that are like a broken down city? They appear to have no ability to keep out those who would abuse and violate them. They may have had many relationships like that before but they seem unable to recognise the need for a measure of protection for themselves. These wise words from Solomon tell us that it isn’t God’s intention for anyone to be this vulnerable. It’s not wrong to have a wall of protection around our heart but there’s something else which is vital to consider.

A city with a good wall can also be a city in trouble. Jerusalem had a good, strong city wall when Zedekiah was the king. The wall was sufficiently strong to protect the people against the enemy forces of Nebuchadnezzar, but there was a problem. The people were locked inside and starving! (2 Kings 25:1-3) The wall was good but without an ability to open the gates there couldn’t be trade to provide the necessary food and supplies. The result was starvation and desperation.

There are people who live their lives behind walls with no gates and people who have no walls. Both are damaging their spirits. No wall leads to possible abuse and no gate leads to probable starvation.

Solomon in his wisdom encourages us to be like a healthy city. Good walls for protection and gates that can be opened to those who are friends bringing the necessary nourishment into our lives. If your walls are broken down perhaps you need to recognise that you’re worth protecting. Then you could ask Jesus to help you build a right protection around your human spirit. If your gates are locked shut perhaps you need to ask Jesus to help you to discern who is a trustworthy person to enter the gate to feed your spirit with friendship and love. Challenging isn’t it?

Prayer: Lord, I want to have strong walls to protect my life from the inroads of the enemy and to have gates that can be opened to the friends you send. Help me to discern the difference between friend and foe and be strong in you. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Today's Writer : Denise Cross
Annukka

Do Your Best

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.05.2016 10:22

Wednesday 11th May 2016
Do Your Best

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart."
Colossians 3:23, NIV

Few of us enjoy saying goodbye, especially to family members and close friends, when we have spent some quality time together. Often the final words spoken on departure remain with us and can be very significant. Our three-year-old granddaughter, when saying goodbye to her Daddy each morning as he goes off to work, is “Bye, Daddy. Do your best!”

The Christian Church has recently celebrated the Ascension of Jesus, that time when Jesus returned to heaven, leaving behind His family and those friends who had been so close to Him for three years. In His final words Jesus promised that His friends would receive power to enable them to tell people everywhere about Him; ‘But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth’ (Acts 1:8). That responsibility has been carried out by faithful followers of the Lord, down through the centuries and across every continent of the world from that time, and continues to this day.

A little time prior to His ascension Jesus had also said 'Go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age’ (Matthew 28:19). Quite an awesome responsibility! - not only to preach the Gospel, but also to ensure the new converts are taught so that they understand and follow the teachings of Jesus.

As present day followers of Jesus, are we doing our best to ensure that we are carrying out that responsibility to tell others about Jesus, and demonstrating in our own lives what it means to be a follower of Jesus?

When we feel inadequate for the task, a little apprehensive, or a little fearful, there is encouragement to be found in both verses quoted above. In the first (Acts1:8) Jesus promises His power to help us so that we don’t have to depend on our own ability (or lack of it), and in the second (Matthew 28:19), He promises His presence, so we don’t have to feel alone, as we carry out His instructions.

As we wait for the Lord’s return, let’s not be found wanting, but let’s all do our best to further the purpose of His Kingdom here on earth. ‘So make every effort to apply the benefits of these promises to your life. Then your faith will produce a life of moral excellence. A life of moral excellence leads to knowing God better’ (2 Peter 1: 5).

Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, please help me to do my best in telling and showing others what it means to be one of Your followers. Amen.
Today's Writer : Malcolm Wood
Annukka

Trust

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.05.2016 11:32

Thursday 12th May 2016
Trust

"Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be."
Matthew 6:19-21, NLT

Just over eleven years ago we moved out of the house, where we had brought up our children, and downsized to an apartment. It’s nice, with views over a park with mature trees. It was hard at the time, having to get rid of so much stuff that we’d accumulated over the years of bringing up the children, and with plenty of space to store things. The plan was to stay here until we retired from full time secular work, and then we thought we might move to a bungalow, or small house, with a garden again. There were, therefore, some things we didn’t really want to get rid of, as we thought we might need them again. There were also some things that we just couldn’t quite bear to get rid of, and there was nowhere to keep things like beach chairs, camping equipment and decorating materials, so we rented a garage about a mile away, where we could keep all these things.

I knew this garage was quite untidy and needed cleaning and clearing up, so I went there this week, having not been there much over the winter, to make a start on that task. It was much worse than I realised. There’d been a leak in the roof during the winter, and a number of things were wet. Some were rotting and mouldy. Some slugs and snails obviously liked the environment and had decided to make it their home. They seem to like to eat cardboard, and had managed to munch their way through a few of the storage boxes. It was a mess, and a horrid job to clear up.

As I was working on this I was very challenged by today’s verse, and was asking myself, and the Lord Jesus, why I’d stored up all these things. Many of them hadn’t been used, or even looked at, since the move.

There had been, I believe, a genuine desire in me to be a good steward of the things we’d been blessed with, but I recognised my trust and faith in God to provide for me has grown enormously since then. It was an area I’d struggled with for many years. This was partly due to the modelling I’d had from my parents, who lived through the war, and tended to be hoarders, worrying that there wouldn’t be enough.

Luke 12:27-28 also came to mind: ‘Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?’

Then I found a verse I’d never noticed before. Luke 12:33 says ‘Sell your possessions and give to those in need. This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven never get old or develop holes. Your treasure will be safe; no thief can steal it and no moth can destroy it’. How exciting is that!!?? Why hadn’t I given those things away years ago?

So I’m rejoicing at how much God has grown my faith in Him over the last few years and I’m going to clear out the garage and give it up. The rent for it can then be invested in the Kingdom, instead of a place where damp and mould and snails (similar to moths and rust) can destroy.

Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, thank You that I can store up treasure in heaven, and thank You that You promise to provide for us. Please help me to trust You in that. Amen.
Today's Writer : Dotty Cockcroft
Annukka

Give Thanks in All Circumstances

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.05.2016 10:28

Friday 13th May 2016
Give Thanks in All Circumstances

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:18, NIV

When our children were very small, I remember constantly having to remind them to say “Thank you” when they were given anything, such as a drink or food. This didn’t come naturally - they had to be trained to do it. When our grandchildren are with us, before they leave the table after a meal, they’ve been taught to say, “Thank you for my lovely lunch.” Mostly this now comes automatically, but occasionally they need reminding.

The reason for training our children in this way is not for our benefit directly, but in order that they may develop into well-mannered, considerate and thoughtful human beings, not always thinking of themselves. I believe that this is why God reminds us to give thanks. Our thanks and praise obviously pleases Him, but I don’t think He really needs it for Himself. He wants to develop our characters. As we thank and praise Him, it takes our eyes off ourselves and focuses them on Him.

The Bible contains many accounts of the people giving thanks for wonderful things that had happened, for example when David brought the ark into Jerusalem (1 Chronicles 16) or at the completion of the temple by Solomon (2 Chronicles 5:13). However, today’s verse reminds us that it isn’t just in the good times that we are to give thanks, but in all circumstances.

An example of this is in 2 Chronicles 20, when the people of Israel are being confronted by a vast army. King Jehoshaphat calls a fast and the people come together to seek the Lord. God then gives a strategy and tells them that the battle is His and He will deliver them. When they go into battle, Jehoshaphat doesn’t put his strongest fighters at the head of the army, but he appoints singers to go out in front. The amazing thing to me is that they weren’t singing rousing battle hymns, but they were thanking God for His love (‘Give thanks to the LORD, for his love endures forever’)!

As they began to sing and praise, the Lord set ambushes among their enemies, who started to destroy each other. The people of Israel had a mighty victory without even having to fight! All they did was sing and praise, thanking God for His love! I wonder if that is a lesson that God wants to teach each of us.

A few weeks ago, in the midst of difficult circumstances, I was starting to feel slightly overwhelmed, when God reminded me of the need to give thanks in all circumstances. I started to thank Him for different aspects of who He is, for the blessings that I did have, and I found that my perspective instantly changed. The circumstances remained the same, but my focus, my attitude and my feelings were completely transformed, rather like when a large cloud moves out of the way of the sun.

In a recent sermon at our Ellel Pierrepont Centre, someone posed the question: “If you only had today what you had thanked God for yesterday, how much would you have?” What a sobering thought! Perhaps God wants to remind us today to be thankful, even in the midst of a battle.

Prayer: Lord, I’m sorry that I keep forgetting to be thankful. I want to thank You today for who You are and for all the blessings that I have … (be specific). Amen.
Today's Writer : Jilly Lyon Taylor
Annukka

Resurrection Power

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 14.05.2016 10:20

Saturday 14th May 2016
Resurrection Power

"And if the same Spirit of Him Who raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in you, then He who raised up Christ Jesus from the dead will also restore life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit Who dwells in you."
Romans 8:11, NIV

This scripture is really mind-boggling if you truly grasp its full significance. Jesus walked the earth, knowing His full purpose and ‘job description’– to demonstrate the Kingdom of God on earth and to reconcile man with God. Before His death Jesus spent much time preparing His disciples for the events that were about to take place and He also reassured them that He would send them another Helper – the Holy Spirit – Who would be with them to comfort, strengthen and be alongside them.

The disciples had watched Jesus teach, heal and deliver those He encountered during His ministry. They saw the power of God at work before their very eyes. But I think the full impact of the power of God only became a reality after the Holy Spirit was poured out upon the disciples in the upper room after Jesus ascended into Heaven.

The Holy Spirit is the Life-Giver. He is the One who regenerates our spirits when we are born again. He is God’s breath of life within us. And He is the One who brings life to dead things. Job 33:4 says, ‘It is the breath of the Almighty that gives me life’. It reminds me of a very interesting account that we read of in 2 Kings 13:21. ‘Once while some Israelites were burying a man, suddenly they saw a band of raiders; so they threw the man’s body into Elisha’s tomb. When the body touched Elisha’s bones, the man came to life and stood up on his feet’. The anointing of the Holy Spirit that seemed to remain within the bones of this prophet was so powerful that it raised that dead body to life!

The point I want to get to is this: This same power that raised Christ’s dead, beaten and battered body to life – the One who is God’s very breath in our lungs – is alive in us. We have access to the death-defying power of the Holy Spirit because of Jesus’ death and resurrection. The cross made it possible to have life, and to live a life of freedom from sin and bondage. The resurrection power of the Holy Spirit – the SAME power that raised Jesus from the dead - makes it possible for us to live this supernatural, Spirit-centered life! Jesus died to reconcile us back to the Father, but through His Resurrection He enabled us, His disciples, to ‘do even greater things than these, because I (Jesus) am going to the Father’ (John 14:12). Let’s be encouraged to live and walk in the resurrection power of the risen Christ!

Prayer: Lord, what a privilege it is to be able to walk each day in Your Resurrection Power! Thank You for reconciling us back to Father God, and for giving us Your Holy Spirit to guide us and counsel us and cause us to do great exploits for Your Kingdom, in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Today's Writer : Christel Baxter
Annukka

God’s Purpose Prevails

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.05.2016 10:48

Sunday 15th May 2016
God’s Purpose Prevails

"Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails."
Proverbs 19:21, NIV

One weekend in March I was supposed to go with my husband to help at the Ellel Ministries centre in Holland, but I was recovering from the flu and the infections that sometimes come with it. At first I was disappointed not to be able to go, but then I realised I was also very tired.

When my husband set off on his own it was snowing. He had concerns about the roads and the traffic accidents which were delaying some travellers, so he decided to be wise and go earlier to compensate for the road conditions.

After he’d gone I looked out at the beautiful snowflakes of God’s creation, and it reminded me of how we’re like these snowflakes, all unique in their form. Did you know that no two snowflakes are alike? I didn’t have to go out in the traffic, so I was seeing the snowflakes from a different perspective.

At that moment God seemed to prompt my heart about His perspective on things. Fear and concerns can come in when we realise we have a situation before us which has altered what we were planning to do, and when things happen around us which we didn’t expect.
The road conditions that day weren’t good, but when the conditions change we have to adapt. My husband was alert enough to the circumstances on the road to make a decision to travel early, and I realised I was too tired and sick to go anywhere. This seed got written while I was home sick, stopping my activity to be able to consider what was happening around and in me.

I often see and hear the angry motorists when they’re delayed on their travels, so I wondered whether it mattered that the snow slowed everybody down? To some, yes. Appointments were missed, and expectations weren’t met. The ones who didn’t slow down that day may have been stopped for a lot longer due to accidents. Acceptance of unforeseen circumstances is difficult for us all, but accepting them reminds us that we’re not in control.

The pushing and pulling of this world we live in can put us on the treadmill of activity very quickly, but our unmet needs can be crying out to be heard. I was stopped that day and took time out to rest, heal and listen to God.

When we stop we can take time to seek God’s perspective on what’s happening. We can ask ourselves whether we should be slowing down, going on to another road or just not travelling at all. Accepting the Lord’s in control, even when there’s no answer to our questions may mean we are meant to receive strength and patience for the road we are on, or it may mean we are to go off the road and have a long pit stop for repair.

Oh how I long for my plans to be in line with God’s, and not be pushed and pulled around with the world’s spirit, and to be alert enough all the time to make the right choices for who I am in Christ in this life. But often sickness or tiredness has to come to stop me before I take notice. I'm glad to have such a gracious Father God who meets me when I stop to listen.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, help us to get a deeper understanding of what it means to trust You in changing circumstances. Keep us alert to what’s going on around us, so we can receive Your wisdom when making decisions for our lives. Help us to recognise the warning signs when we need to come to You to have our needs met, in Jesus’s name, Amen.

Today's Writer : Catherine Baker
Annukka

Psalm 91:16

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 16.05.2016 21:05

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“With long life will I satisfy him, and show him My salvation.” Psalm 91:16

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
I was witnessing to a man one day in front of his house. He said, “I’ve got a good income. You see that house? It’s paid for. You see that car? It’s paid for. My wife is in that house. She loves me.” He seemed completely satisfied.

I said, “Sir, I want to ask you a question. Will you be absolutely honest with me? Do you have peace in your heart?”

His chin started to quiver. His eyes brimmed with tears. He said, “No, I don’t have peace in my heart. How did you know?”

I said, “Because the Bible says, ‘There is no peace, sayeth my God, to the wicked.’ These things cannot fill the longing of your heart. You need Jesus.”

ACTION POINT:
Pray for an opportunity to share today the peace you have in Jesus with someone who is lost and searching.
Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message
Facebook
Twitter
Website
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Sharing Good News

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 17.05.2016 10:55

Tuesday 17th May 2016
Sharing Good News

“Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will tell what he has done for my soul.”
Psalm 66 16, NIV

Reverence and awe are primary constituents of holy fear. It is only those who revere God and who worship Him in awe and wonder, whose ears are truly open to hear the testimony of a redeemed sinner. To those whose ears are shut to the voice of God and whose eyes are closed to the creation of God, testimonies of salvation are as meaningless as the description of how a nuclear reactor works to an old man who never went to school! What would be meat and drink to the nuclear scientist, would be indigestible nonsense to the old man!

Until a person’s understanding is opened up to a knowledge of God and the reality of sin and its consequences, testimonies of salvation are received with obvious embarrassment and usually fall on deaf ears. But to those who have been saved, the stories of how God moved in a person to give them new life, when they were born again and their soul was saved from death and hell, are the source of intense joy and gladness.

So it is those who already know the fear of the Lord who the psalmist calls to come and hear his story. Throughout the psalms you can read about the goodness of the Lord. We read of how God redeemed David after his catastrophic fall and restored him. We hear how God set his feet again upon a rock and as we read these amazing songs of testimony, we are caught up in the joy and thanksgiving of all that God did for David’s soul.

David couldn’t stop telling God how grateful he was for His love and mercy. Psalm 66 ends with David saying (or singing), “Blessed be God, because he has not rejected my prayer or removed his steadfast love from me!” Praise and thanksgiving build up one’s spirit and bless those who fear the Lord. Why not spend a few minutes now, rejoicing in all that God has done for your souls and then sharing your testimony with great thanksgiving.

And then when unbelievers see the fruit of a changed life, they can be prompted by the Spirit of God to ask the right questions. Then you can tell them that what they now see is a fruit of what God did for your soul. Once people start asking the right questions (like the woman at the well did in John 4) we then have the immense privilege of telling them the Good News.

Prayer: I am so grateful, Lord, for saving my soul and for redeeming my life. Help me to always be thankful for Your goodness. And help me also, Lord, to always be willing to share the good news with those who see the fruit of God’s presence in my life and want to know more about Jesus. In Jesus’s Name, Amen.
Today's Writer : Peter Horrobin
Annukka

Inside Out

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 18.05.2016 09:45

Wednesday 18th May 2016
Inside Out

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
1 Samuel 16:7

It’s interesting how God speaks sometimes. He really does get you when you least expect it! I was watching a DVD of one of my favourite TV shows. A character said something that caught my attention, “Imagine if you had some deep, dark secret ... something that brought you tremendous shame. But instead of being able to hide it away, you had to wear it on your skin, so that the first time anyone saw you, they saw your secret.”

It was quite a sobering thought. As I thought about it, I realised how easily we can judge people on their outward appearance - and how hard we can work at making ourselves look ‘normal’ and ‘all-together’ on the outside, by hiding the darker and shameful parts of our lives.

We can very quickly condemn people in our minds, people such as: an addict struggling to beat their addiction; a person struggling with their sexual identity or bondages, trying to find freedom from their chains; an overweight person who can’t lose weight; even a physically disabled person. Yet are we truly that much different from these people?

The truth is most, if not all of us, have things in our lives we would rather not share with others. We have issues in our lives that we can hide until we’re behind closed doors. It may be easier for us to hide some of our secrets. But others may have to deal with the stigma of wearing theirs on the outside, for all to see.

Yet to God, there’s no hidden place. While we’re busy maintaining a good presentation of ourselves and looking at others from the outside in, He’s looking at us from the inside out. He’s looking at what’s hidden - the secrets, the fears and the dark areas. He’s not looking in judgement, but in love, wanting to reach into those areas that have been closed off from His love.

So next time you see someone who has to wear shame on their outward being, remember God sees your secrets just as clearly. Remember that He wants to bring healing to them as well as you.

Prayer: Father God, I acknowledge that I can judge people by what I see and recognise that I can try to hide my shameful, secret areas - even from You. Please help me to open up those dark areas to Your love so I can receive healing in its fullness. Amen.
Today's Writer : Lindsey Hanekom
Annukka

No Other Gods

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 19.05.2016 10:56

Thursday 19th May 2016
No Other Gods

"… be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up."
Daniel 3:18, ESV

In about 580 B.C. Jerusalem had fallen to Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, and her inhabitants, along with those living in surrounding Judah, had been deported as captives to Babylon. Some of the finest young Jewish men had been chosen to be educated in the ways of the Babylonians, and to go into the king’s service. Nebuchadnezzar, in all his pride had erected a 30-metres-high golden statue and commanded all people to fall down and worship it when they heard the sound of music. Anyone failing to do this would be put to death.

Three of the Jewish young men, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego refused to obey this command, and were duly brought before the king and commanded to either worship the image, or be thrown into a fiery furnace. As we read in the verse above, even as they faced death, they respectfully, but firmly, refused to worship any god but the true God who they served. The miraculous deliverance of the three young men, when they were indeed thrown into the furnace, can be read in the rest of Daniel, Chapter 3.

About four years ago I felt the Lord say to me that there’s an idol similar to Nebuchadnezzar’s golden statue in the United Kingdom, and many other nations. It has the name – ‘Political Correctness’. At one time this idol was joked about, as it insisted on silly revisions of everyday language, but it’s taken on a more sinister shape, as laws have been passed which openly challenge and discard God’s declared creation order for human relationships, such as marriage and the family.

In the United Kingdom, where there was once the lingering influence of centuries of Christian heritage, we now have the introduction of what are described as ‘British Values’ to the national education syllabus. Within these ‘British Values’ there are demands for the acceptance and tolerance of lifestyles that the Bible declares sinful, and they’re implemented and enforced by official inspectors.

As legislation was passed during 2013 which made radical changes to British law regarding marriage, I was saddened that there seemed so little comment from prominent Christian leaders, and, in the church where I worshipped, no comment at all.

Why was there such silence? Was it the fear of reprisal and persecution? I think that when I fail to speak out about unrighteousness I am, in effect, in silent agreement with it. I’m bowing down to the spirit behind it. I believe that God’s calling His Church to resist the attempts of governments to stop them proclaiming and teaching certain parts of His word.

How shall those trapped in sin find freedom, if we, who know the truth, hold back from telling them there’s freedom in Jesus’ name? I must be prepared to play my part in that, even if there’s a fiery furnace awaiting me, and surely we have the same God who walked in the fire with the three young Jewish men.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You said that we would be hated for Your name’s sake. Help me to speak Your truth in love to those who are held captive by the evil one and by sin, even when I’m afraid. May I know the empowering fear of the Lord that will deliver me from the fear of man. In Your precious name I pray. Amen.
Today's Writer : Dean Gardner
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum