tuumis

Devotional 2016

Valvoja: Annukka

Follow the Recipe

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 08.02.2016 10:30

08 February, 2016
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Follow the Recipe

“If you are willing and obedient. You shall eat the good of the land; But if you refuse and rebel. You shall be devoured by the sword”; For the mouth of the Lord has spoken."
Isaiah 1:19-20, NKJV

I don’t mean to make your mouths water, but recently, at Glyndley Manor, we’ve been having the best desserts ever. Actually we’ve had some excellent main courses too. Today was no exception, as we were served macaroni cheese with a crispy top. I suppose now you’re wondering why this should be, and why I’m talking about it. Well, the other day, having eaten a perfect bread and butter pudding I began to think about how and why such perfection is coming from our kitchen.

At present we’re without a full time chef, and so the cooking is being undertaken by some of the young people. These young people are from South Korea, Hong Kong and Hungary, so none of the dishes that they are producing are familiar to them. As I began to consider this further, I realised that, because the dishes are alien to them, they’re following the recipe to the letter. The result is that the end product is as it should be. You see, when we’re familiar with a recipe, we tend add a bit here and there, and time it by guess work. When we do this, we end up with something which isn’t quite the same as if we’d followed the recipe.

Our verse today clearly says that if we are ‘willing and obedient’ then we shall ‘eat the good of the land’. This is to say that, if we follow what the Bible teaches, and what God says to us, if we hold steadfastly to His Word, and seek to walk in Jesus’ ways, then we we’ll do well.

I have a friend who uses the expression ‘It’s all in the book’ and they’re right. All we need to know is written in His Word. In Isaiah 48:17 we read ‘I will teach you all you need to know to live a wonderful life and I will lead you clearly in the right path'. I wonder how many of us struggle to remain obedient to His Word. Or, to put it another way, do we follow the recipe to the letter?

Do we take the bits out of His Word that we find hard? These are the bits that don’t quite sit well with us, or seem to stand too much against the beliefs of this world. Are we easily swayed and distracted from the Word of God and the truth that it is? Do we follow what we feel, or what we know is right and true? And, when we don’t know what to do, or what the truth is, do we turn to His Word, or do we try and figure it out ourselves?
Perhaps we add and subtract from the recipe to make our version of the truth. These are the things we need to guard against. We need more and more to be people who test everything against the Scripture and who’re willing to live by the measuring line that God has given us (Isaiah 28:16-17).

We’re living in days that are getting darker, and the challenge for us is to be people who’re willing and obedient to follow God’s recipe so we can be used to bring light into the darkness.

Prayer: Father God thank You that You’ve given us Your inspired word. Thank You that, through the Holy Spirit, Your word is living and active. It gives us all we need to know to live an abundant life. Father I recognise that I sometimes neglect the reading of Your Word, and that I sometimes don’t read the bits I don’t like or understand. Please forgive me for this, and teach me Your ways. Lord, I desire to be a light in the darkness. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Today's Writer : Mary-Lou Gregoire
Annukka

Romans 8:1.

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 09.02.2016 19:30

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus.” Romans 8:1.

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
The key to living a victorious Christian life is to discover who you are in Christ. Many Christians have never discovered this. They remind me of the man who had an identity problem and an energy crisis at the same time. He didn’t know who he was and he was too tired to find out.

God doesn’t work from the outside in. He works from the inside out. God doesn’t modify our behavior in order to change us. He changes us in order to modify our behavior.

You’re never going to purify the water by painting the pump. That’s legalism, and that’s a dead end to discovering who you are in Christ.

ACTION POINT:
As you study God’s Word, start a list: begin to write down those phrases that apply to you, like the phrase “in Christ.” Now that you are “in Christ,” the phrase “no condemnation” is one you should write down!
Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message
Facebook
Twitter
Website
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Time to Attack

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.02.2016 11:10

10 February, 2016
Time to Attack

"Benaiah son of Jehoiada, a valiant fighter from Kabzeel, performed great exploits … He also went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion."
2 Samuel 23:20, NIV

What an intriguing story! Benaiah was one of the thirty commanders of various divisions in King David’s army. He was appointed captain of David’s personal bodyguard, and chosen because of three acts of valour in 1 Chronicles 11:22-25. But it’s the one about going down into a pit on a snowy day to kill a lion that stands out to me.

There are so many questions I would love to ask about it. Yet does it really matter to us today? Well Romans 15:4 does say (referring to Scripture in general) that ‘these things were written for our instruction’. So I suggest that there might be a lesson in here somewhere for us. We don’t really know why Benaiah chose to do what he did, but I believe he was led to do it, and it was necessary.

We’re told in 1 Peter 5:8, ‘Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour’. A lion is a massively strong creature, capable of caving a skull in with one blow of its paw. Its teeth can easily crush bone. So it’s a formidable adversary. A pit is a confined space that’s easy enough to get into, but difficult to escape from. Snow makes the ground slippery and visibility difficult – essentially the worst possible conditions in which to face a foe that seems far stronger than you are.

What’s your lion today? What’s the worst situation to be in, the thing you dread? Is it unemployment, lack of money, abuse from a boss, a broken or breaking marriage, failure, abused trust from one you love, temptation, addiction, loss, loneliness, or ill-health? Maybe you can instantly identify something in your life. Perhaps you feel as if you’re already stuck in a pit with no way out, finding it difficult to keep standing, and it’s so hard to see a way out. If so, take heart!

Jehoiada (his father) means ‘God knows’. Benaiah means ‘God builds’. The secret of Benaiah was that God knew him and God built him. God also built you, child of God.

In Christ we’re to be men and women of valour. At times we need to stand firm and face our enemy. Other times we need to confront our enemy and attack! We need to bring the battle to the enemy, just as young David did to Goliath (he ran at him – the last thing Goliath expected).

Say to your lion, the situation you’ve dreaded, “You’re going down! You won’t wreck my life, my family, my home, my future! I’ll succeed because God knows my situation, and God builds me and God will defeat you through me!” Instead of worrying about the lion, the snow and the pit, face it head on, and don’t tiptoe past it anymore. Go into that snowy pit and face your worst fears.

Don’t slink past the enemy again, hoping he won’t spot you and turn on you. You’re his worst fears, not the other way around. He’s trapped in the pit with you! The slippery ground and difficult visibility hinders him! He’s the one at the disadvantage – that’s what Benaiah saw. Can you see it? Today, rise up and realise that, in Christ, you’re well able to overcome your lion. You’re a Benaiah – a man or woman of valour that God’s building and strengthening. Focus on your victory, not on the possibility of defeat. When you aim at a target – what do you aim at? The outer circle, vaguely hoping to hit the target? No! You aim at the bullseye! Focus on the victory you’re going to have in Christ, and defeat your lion, pit or no pit, snow or no snow!

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You know I’m weary. For so long I’ve focused on being trapped by the enemy. I’ve been allowing him, through others or that situation I’m now facing, to harass me. Today I choose to say “No more!” I’ll take the battle to the enemy, and, in Christ, I’ll overcome, because ‘greater is he that is in me than he that is in the world’. In and through Your mighty Name, Lord Jesus! Amen.
Today's Writer : Philip Asselin
Annukka

The Tent of Meeting

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.02.2016 11:37

11 February, 2016
The Tent of Meeting

"Then the Lord came down upon Mount Sinai on top of the mountain. And the Lord called Moses to the top of the mountain, and Moses went up."
Exodus 19:20, Amp.

Chapter 19 of Exodus is all about the Lord speaking to His people and commanding Moses to tell them to purify themselves before they come to the foot of the mountain. He also tells him that nobody is to touch the mountain, neither man nor beast, and if anyone does, they are to be put to death. But Moses is to come and meet with God face to face.

What tremendous preparations, what fearful instructions, what purifications had to go on, even to come near the living God! All because He’s a holy God. No wonder when the people came near to the mountain and saw the thick cloud and heard the trumpet they all shook.

How do we approach the living God? We have the wonderful privilege of being able to meet Him face to face because when Jesus died the curtain in the Temple was torn in two, thus opening the way to Him. We have easy access.

But, I wonder, do we take that privilege for granted? Have we become too casual? I have recently been really challenged to spend more time with my heavenly Father – and to be excited about it! I try to have my ‘quiet time’ early each day, and I realise that it is easier for me, on my own, retired, than it is for those who have families around and busy jobs to go to, but I know it is not enough.

I want to get to know Him better than I do, and to do that I must spend more time with Him, so I am going to set aside more time, and find somewhere where I can be without distractions – no phone, no computer, just me and Him. I don’t anticipate it will be easy to begin with but I mean to try.

Can we get excited about actually meeting with the living God? We certainly should do: He is the LIVING GOD! Our times with Him shouldn’t become routine and once they are over we go on to the next job for the day, but for many of us, me included, that is what they can become. I want to refresh and revitalise my precious relationship with Him, and I know it is up to me to be serious about it – He is only too willing, ready and waiting.

Prayer: Dearest Father, Thank You that You’re so much more ready and willing to meet with me than I am to come into Your presence. I’m so sorry and ask for Your forgiveness. Please would You help me to stick to whatever new resolutions I make to spend longer with You. I love You, Lord, but my love is so weak compared with Your love for me. Amen.
Today's Writer : Angela Weir
Annukka

The Cross - Offence or Wisdom?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.02.2016 11:33

12 February, 2016
The Cross - Offence or Wisdom?

"We preach Christ crucified."
1 Corinthians 1:23, NLT

Sadly, it would seem that the symbol of the cross has been devalued these days, and just regarded as a lucky charm by so many. For those who’ve found salvation in Jesus, the cross is a reminder of how that salvation was won for them. The symbolism may be regarded differently by different people, but the truth is that the power of the cross and its effectiveness in the lives of true believers is just the same today as it’s always been - life changing.

As the apostle Paul found, the message of the cross will always cause offence to some, and be regarded as nonsense by others, ‘But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the mighty power of God and the wonderful wisdom of God’ (1 Corinthians 1:24).

Whatever the opposition, Paul continued to fearlessly preach the politically incorrect message of the cross, and at times it cost him dearly. But, towards the end of his life, he could say with confidence ‘I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful’, and then, with assurance, state ‘Now the prize awaits me - the crown of righteousness that the Lord, the righteous judge will give me on that great day of his return’ (2 Timothy 4:7-8).

The message of the cross is so central to our very existence as Christians. As we look at the cross we see it’s like a jewel with many facets, each one a reminder. The cross is a reminder to us of God the Father’s love for each one of us (John 3:16), and the restored relationship which He wants us to enjoy with Him. This was made possible only through the cross. It’s the focal point of our salvation, where the price was paid for our redemption, the place where we were reconciled, and made right in God’s sight.

It’s a reference point, reminding us of our former condition, and how much we needed forgiveness and rescue from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light. As citizens of this new kingdom we can take encouragement as we look afresh at the cross, and know that our destiny as servants of the King of kings is determined, and our destination, heaven, is assured.

Shouldn’t the effectiveness of all Jesus did for us be worked out in our lives day by day? Let’s never give up giving thanks for the cross and remembering all that Jesus did there for us as often as we can. Let’s endeavour all the time to appropriate the work of the cross in our lives, and with the Holy Spirit’s help become more like Jesus.

As we grow in Him let’s take up the challenge from the life, work and witness of Paul, and not shy away from uplifting the message of the cross wherever, whenever and however we can.

‘Lift high the cross, the love of Christ proclaim, till all the world adore his sacred name’
(George Kitchen 1887).

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank You for cross. Thank You for the price You paid. Please help me to be a better witness for You. Amen.
Today's Writer : Malcolm Wood Malcolm Wood and his wife Anna became part of the Ellel family as House Managers at Ellel Grange in 1990. Since then they have been involved with many aspects of the developing Ministry. In 2001 they became Directors of Ellel Scotland where now at Blairmore House they host several International Schools and Operation Blairmore and are presently pioneering exciting, new Creative Inspiration Weeks. They have three sons. Related Links Click Here to read Peter Horrobin`s blog

Like The Cross - Offence or Wisdom? on Facebook share on Twitter Google Plus One Button
Annukka

Habakkuk 2:14

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 14.02.2016 13:05

Today's Verse for 02/14/2016
For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea. — Habakkuk 2:14

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse
Thought

What a glorious day when this promise is fully realized! Let's make every effort and commit ourselves to the task of making our glorious God known to every nation, tribe, language, and people.
Prayer

Almighty God, please lead me to someone who needs to know your salvation. Please bless your servants all around the world as they share your message with others. Please give them success and hasten the day when this glorious promise becomes fully realized. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Today's Verse Illustrated
Annukka

Who Do You Think You are?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.02.2016 11:16

15 February, 2016
Who Do You Think You are?

"Once you were less than nothing, now you are God’s very own."
1 Peter 2:10, TLB

It’s God Himself who made us what we are. The Living Bible says, ‘Once you were less than nothing, now you are God’s very own’ (1 Peter 2:10).

Many, who aren’t born again, find themselves unable to answer the question “Who do you think you are?” But those who’re born again can. They find the answer to it in God’s Word. ‘Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old one has passed away, the new has come’ (2 Corinthians 5:17).

You may think “I’m a teacher, a nurse, an artist, or a doctor”. But that’s just what you do. If you were to stop doing the job you do, who would you be then?

It doesn’t matter who other people think you are, because the ‘real’ you may have been disguised from them. But the important thing is that God knows who you are, and that you know who you really are in Him. With everything else stripped away, who is the real you before God? Have you let God make you into the person He planned you to be?

There are some beautiful results of knowing who you really are, with Christ in you, the hope of glory (Colossians 1:27). We can say of ourselves:

I’ve been adopted into the family of God (Ephesians 1:5).
I’ve been made in the image of God (Genesis 1:27).
I’ve been perfected in Christ Jesus (Hebrews 10:14).
He’s clothed me with the righteousness of Christ (Isaiah 61:10).
I can rest in who I am (Matthew 11:28).
I can always have peace in my heart when all around may be chaos and pain (Philippians 4:7).
God holds my every tomorrow in His hands (Psalm 31:15).

Prayer: Lord, help me to act, walk, and talk, with the knowledge of who I am in Jesus. May I know that the past has gone and You’re making all things new. Thank You for showing me how to be secure in Your family. Amen.
Today's Writer : Pam Smith
Annukka

John 8:32

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 16.02.2016 18:00

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Have you ever been to a circus and seen an elephant chained to a stake in the ground? Why doesn’t he break free? Because as a young elephant he was tied to a tree. And try as he might, he couldn’t break free. Now the thought that he cannot break free is ingrained.

How true that is of you and me who have ingrained thought patterns in our lives. We say, “I am chained to this habit and I can’t break free.” Or we say, “I’m not good enough.” All kinds of lies keep us in bondage, but real truth is what God says, not what we think.

ACTION POINT:
Are there any strongholds in your life that keep you chained to the past? Write down these verses and memorize them.

2 Corinthians 10:4 “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds;”

Galatians 5:1 “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.”

Now break free from the lies of the past as you tell yourself the truth!
Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message
Facebook
Twitter
Website
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

A New Wineskin

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 17.02.2016 11:11

17 February, 2016
A New Wineskin

"...and no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine will burst the wineskins and be spilled, and the wineskins will be ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins, and both are preserved. And no one, having drunk old wine, immediately desires new; for he says, ‘The old is better.’"
Luke 5:37-39, NIV

I was watching a documentary about an aeroplane which was trying to fly between two storms. The dramatic footage shows the pilots communicating with the flight control tower and receiving the news of the weather as it was developing. Though the situation was dangerous, the pilot was insisting on flying between the two storms through a narrow gap in the middle.

It had looked normal and sunny when they took off, but half way through the journey two storms began coming in, getting closer to each other. Eventually the plane crash landed, losing lives and causing damage.

After the documentary, I was pondering on the mentality of the pilot. He had flown the same route over and over again successfully, and thought he could do it this time around. The problem was the situation had changed. The weather pattern was different and the danger was real.

Complacency is a feeling of being satisfied with how things are and not wanting to try to make them better. The pilot was complacent and unaware of the danger of the situation.

In Luke 5:33-39 Jesus was responding to the Pharisees and the scribes, when they complained about Him and His disciples not fasting, as John the Baptist’s disciples did. The Pharisees were so set in the old ways that they didn’t recognise the time of their visitation. They were comfortable with the tradition of the elders. But Jesus was bringing something new, which they weren’t ready for. Instead of being open and receptive, they tried to find mistakes about the things Jesus did.

Yet this isn’t a new thing. We see it over and over again in history. When the children of Israel left Egypt they kept looking back to what they would have had in Egypt, and failed to recognise what God was doing for them on their journey to the Promised Land.

God is always on the move, doing something, but if we’re comfortable with the old then we’ll fight the new God’s bringing. We should be willing to move as the cloud moves, be willing to adjust and be flexible, always listening to what the Lord is saying or doing now.

Wine stretches wineskins as it ferments. When we say "yes" to the call of Jesus, and when we open our lives to his new wine, we embark on an adventure of discipleship. Then we have the extraordinary privilege of participating in God's kingdom work, and there's nothing better in life than this. It’s not just about moving into the new, but also having to wait instead of rushing on. It’s about taking each step with Him

What is God saying now, and are you willing to walk into the new thing? What is the condition of the atmosphere? Do you need to abort take off? Should you wait for God before you move? Isaiah 43:18-19 says ‘Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert’.

Prayer: Lord, teach me to listen to Your voice. Renew my mind daily so I can hear Your will. I’m sorry for when I’ve insisted on my old ways while You’re doing a new thing. I’m willing to be flexible and obedient to what You’re doing now. Amen.
Today's Writer : Joan Rono
Annukka

A Beautiful Revelation

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 20.02.2016 12:12

20 February, 2016
A Beautiful Revelation

"Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."
Jeremiah 33:3, NIV

Becoming aware of the Lord’s timing for seasons in my life has been an amazing discovery in my walk with Him. He has a wonderful way of making things known to us, when we least expect them to. These are the moments when the Lord touches a part of our inner man that no one else can - moments that strengthen and encourage us; moments when we realise, deep inside, how special we are to Him. Many people miss these moments, but when we’re living in an awareness of His presence, we’ll know when the Lord is revealing something to us.

Just over a year ago, whilst driving home, I heard an inspirational message on a Christian radio station that felt as if it was meant just for me. It had been a very difficult few months, and the timing of the message was spot-on. Fast forward to this year ...whilst doing a Bible study with a wonderful group of ladies, I read the following sentence, and it just touched my heart so deeply: ‘If the God of all creation reserves a remark for you, beloved, that’s all you need to be remarkable’ (Beth Moore).

Whilst savouring these words, I was reminded of the special message I’d heard on the radio about a year ago, and I made the connection between these two separate moments. I realised that, on that specific day in my car, the Lord knew I needed to hear those words. The God of all creation had reserved a remark for me at that exact moment - WOW!

When I look back at the year that’s passed, I’m humbled by how the Lord provided for every step of the trial we went through. He encouraged us daily in so many different ways – scriptures, friends’ love, words of wisdom, and strength to carry on. He promised to make a way, and He did, and still is doing so.

Your revelation might not come through a talk on a radio station, but the Lord will never cease from encouraging you, and will speak to you in the way most relevant to you. He knows exactly how to touch your heart. He knows what makes you feel special and loved. He knows when you need to hear what.

Don’t believe the enemy, who wants you to think that the Lord won’t reserve a remark just for you. You’re the apple of His eye – ‘In a desert land He found him, in a barren and howling waste. He shielded him and cared for him; He guarded him as the apple of His eye’ (Deuteronomy 32:10).

Live with the awareness of His presence in your life. Live with expectation, because your Father in heaven knows what you need. Your beautiful revelation will come at the right moment!

Prayer: Father God, thank You that You love me so much, and that You value me. No matter what I’m facing today, You’re with me and will uphold me. I put my trust in You firstly, and choose to walk this road with You. Because You’re with me, I live in expectation of what You’re doing in my life. Thank you for Your presence, even in the smallest details of my life. Amen.

Today's Writer : Annalene Holtzhausen Annalene Holtzhausen is on the Associate Team at Ellel, Africa. She is married to Renier, who introduced her to Ellel Ministries. She is a full-time mother to their two boys. Her passion is for the restoration of women’s hearts and for people to find their worth in the Lord. Related Links Click Here to read Peter Horrobin`s blog

Like A Beautiful Revelation on Facebook share on Twitter Google Plus One Button
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum