tuumis

Devotional 2016

Valvoja: Annukka

Running the Race

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 21.01.2016 11:38

21 January, 2016
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
Running the Race

"Therefore, I urge you … to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship."
Romans 12:1, NASB

It seems to me that the Christian life is pretty simple really! It’s all summed up in our verse for today (Romans 12:1), and Hebrews 12:1, which says ‘Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us’

They’re easy to find and to remember – Romans 12:1, and Hebrews 12:1. They’re about offering ourselves, and about persevering. That’s our task, as believers, as Christians, and as followers of the Lord Jesus Christ.

After all, He’s done it all. We know that. He made the full and perfect sacrifice for the sin of the world, dying on the cross of Calvary. Our part is to submit to Him, to His leading, guiding and moulding; allowing Him to transform us day by day as we walk with Him – and not giving up, even when we may feel like doing so. The dictionary defines perseverance as ‘steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, or a state, especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement’.

During one of our term breaks at NETS, I walked on Hadrian’s Wall, alone, right across England from one side to another. It was a fabulous week, despite the rain, and I was proud of my achievement, walking about 165 kms in all. I didn’t feel particularly ‘spiritual’ that week, and when someone asked me, “What did the Lord speak to you about, when you were out there walking?” I wasn’t sure what to answer!

But then I realised that the lesson I’d learned was about perseverance – just putting one foot in front of the other. I plodded along, from ten in the morning to six at night, with lots of young hikers striding past me, and getting to their destination way ahead of me! But it didn’t matter. I got there. I did it. I persevered.

And that’s what God calls us to do. To get out of bed every morning, and put one foot in front of the other, even when the way seems so tough. He does the transforming, He does the changing and He brings us to our destination. And He does it with joy, which He pours into our hearts as we open ourselves to Him.

Prayer: Lord, help me this day to persevere; to put one foot in front of the other, to not be conformed to the pattern of this world, but to look to You, and allow You to be Lord, to allow You to do the transforming. Help me to fix my eyes on You, who for the joy that was set before You endured, and who is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Thank You, dear Lord. Amen.
Today's Writer : Vicki Kosmala
Annukka

Waiting

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 22.01.2016 11:58

22 January, 2016
Waiting

"So Naaman went with his horses and chariots and waited at the door of Elisha’s house"
2 Kings 5:9, NLT

As I read this Scripture, close to the beginning of this New Year, it really resonated in me. Naaman had been told that there was a man of God who could heal him, so he went expecting something. He was waiting expectantly, in hope of healing.

Everywhere I look this year I’m seeing an increased emphasis on prayer; not bringing our needs to God, but waiting on God in prayer. In Isaiah 40:31 we’re told, ‘Those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength’. In the NIV and NLT versions of the Bible that word ‘wait’ is translated ‘trust’. Waiting on God is trusting Him. Trusting God, waiting on His timing, His way of working in our lives, resting in Him – all of these are an important part of our prayer life.

The story of Naaman goes on to say that Elisha sent his servant down to tell Naaman to go wash seven times in the Jordan River. Naaman was NOT happy! This wasn’t what he had in mind! He was expecting the great man of God to come down, wave his hand over the leprosy and call on the name of the Lord his God! Do you see the parallel with our own lives? How often do we wait expecting God to do something in the way that we think He should, and He tells us to go do something that we see as completely unreasonable! It doesn’t make sense to us. But Naaman had good people around him who encouraged him to do this simple thing, even though it seemed ridiculous, and, through the act of obedience, God healed him!

When we’re in those times of waiting, we should be listening for God’s instructions. Once we have His instructions, we need to be obedient to do what He’s told us to do. Then we can still wait expectantly for God to do even more than all we could hope or imagine! What an exciting thought! If we can get past our disappointment of God not answering us the way we expected Him to answer, we’ll see how amazingly He’s answering us.

I would like to encourage us all to wait on God in a new way. Wait with expectation for Him to speak to us and give us directions of what to do, and then have the boldness to go and do what He’s told us to do.

Prayer: Lord, forgive me for the times when I’ve been disappointed that You didn’t answer my prayers my way. Please help me to wait on You with open expectation, so I can see what You’re doing, and I can walk in obedience to You. I choose today to wait on You! Amen.

Today's Writer : Tanya Person
Annukka

Seek His Face

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 23.01.2016 10:51

23 January, 2016
Seek His Face

"My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord, I will seek."
Psalm 27:8, NIV

My desire over the past two years has been to have a much closer relationship with Jesus. I imagined it would be a pleasurable experience moving closer to Him; rather like falling in love.

I was wrong. I discovered, to my surprise, that it was a difficult and rather painful journey. It took a while to understand that I had ungodly beliefs, which stood between Him and me, and which prevented a closer relationship.

One day He said to me, “I’m not a resource. I’m a person”. I then realised with much sorrow that my belief about Jesus was that He was there to serve me. I slowly understood that in my mind it was really all about me and my life. I was seeking His hands rather than His face.

Since that time He has been showing me that what He wants is that I look into His face, so that He can have a relationship with me. As I’m learning more and more to do this I’m increasingly experiencing His love and blessings.

If you too have been looking at the hands of Jesus instead of His face, may I encourage you to look into His face so that His radiance can envelop you.

Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, I’m sorry that I’ve been regarding You as a resource to benefit me. I acknowledge You as the great and mighty God. It’s a wonder to me that You want a relationship with me, and my desire is that I look into Your face. Thank You that the more I seek Your face, the more You draw me into You, and, as a result, I increasingly experience Your love and blessings. Amen.
Today's Writer : Margaret Southey
Annukka

Be Still and Let God do it

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 24.01.2016 11:43

24 January, 2016
Be Still and Let God do it

"You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you."
2 Chronicles 20:17, NIV

Sometimes, when circumstances arise which are beyond our control, and especially when the Lord has instructed us to ‘Be still and know that I am God’ (Psalm 46:10), one of the hardest things for us to do is to be still and do nothing. Our human nature screams that we should be doing something, and we try to find ways of helping God out, especially when the situation seems to be going on far longer than we anticipated.

This is just the time when we need to be obedient and listen to the voice of the Lord, for not every battle strategy is the same, and there are times when we don’t have to fight at all! ‘For the battle is not yours, but the Lord’s’ (2 Chronicles 20:15).

It sounds terribly simple, but why fight battles we’re not meant to fight – especially when God’s saying He’ll fight them for us!

In the context of today’s verse, we find that one day King Jehoshaphat suddenly discovered that all of his enemies had joined together with the intention of attacking and invading the land. The king’s immediate reaction was to humble himself before God and to ask for God’s help, and he gathered the nation in prayer. God’s reply was that He would deal with it, and all they had to do was to stand still – it wasn’t their battle.

The result was that as the people sang praises to God, He set Judah’s enemies against each other, and not one of their enemies was left alive. As you can imagine there was great rejoicing in the camp when the result of the battle was unveiled.

God sometimes allows difficult circumstances to develop our faith in Him, and, if the answer seems a long time coming, it’s because, when it does come, there’s no doubt as to whom the glory is due. God was, and always is the victor.

The scripture declares that ‘Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning’. (Psalm 30:5). Perhaps your ‘night’ of difficulty is not just a physical night of 12 hours; it may be a ‘night’ of many months or even years. But joy is coming. God is greater than our personal timetables, and, as Jehoshaphat discovered when he humbled himself, God is true to His Word, and ‘No weapon formed against (God’s people) will prosper’ (Isaiah 54:17).

Maybe God has said this to you before, but here it is again. ‘You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you’.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, help us to heed the words of Your Holy Spirit as He reminds us to stand and be still, to trust You, and to let God to be God in all our circumstances. He truly is the victor and to Him alone belongs all the glory. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Today's Writer : Patricia Lake Patricia Lake is the Secretary to Peter Horrobin (the Founder and International Director of Ellel Ministries) having previously trained in business before joining Ellel Ministries International in January 2000. She was also in ministry in her local Pentecostal church before feeling the call of God to serve in the healing and deliverance ministry at Ellel Grange in the northwest of England. Related Links Click Here to read Peter Horrobin`s blog

Like Be Still and Let God do it on Facebook share on Twitter Google Plus One Button
Annukka

Inner Strength

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 25.01.2016 10:32

25 January, 2016
Inner Strength

"I pray that out of His glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being."
Ephesians 3:16, NIV

Many of us can go without food for a while, but, after some time, we start to be hungry.
So what is hunger? According to Wikipedia, hunger is a condition in which a person, for a sustained period, is unable to eat sufficient food to meet basic nutritional needs.

If we get hungry for a while and don’t feed ourselves, then our body starts to produce some hormones that make us feel as if we’re full. After a while we don’t feel like eating. Prolonged hunger might lead to starvation, and, our bodies lacking the essential nutrition, begin to die. Physically we need food to sustain our human life.

One thing that has been ignored many times is our inner man. So who is the inner man?
The inner man is our spiritual man, our human spirit. But, just as the physical man (outer man) needs physical food in order to sustain life, so does our spiritual man need spiritual food in order to sustain life.

Though our inner man is not seen, it doesn’t mean he’s less important. In fact it’s the other way round. Our spirit is more important. It’s the core of who we really are. In 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 we read that ‘Outwardly we are wasting away but inwardly we are being renewed’ and ‘what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.'

We have to take care of the survival of our inner man. Unless we feed our spirit, we become spiritually malnourished. After a while we’ll lose our appetite. It’s important that our inner man is nurtured frequently. Nurturing means to feed, nourish, educate, bring or train up! It’s more than just feeding. And, as with the physical body, continuous hunger will lead to starvation and its consequences.

So how do we nurture the inner man? By feeding him with spiritual food. Spiritual food is God’s word (Hebrews 5:11-14). Through a regular and consistent consumption of spiritual food and a regular prayer life, our inner man is renewed day by day.

Hunger ends when we feed, but returns after a while, so that we feed again. If we don't feel spiritually hungry, then something is wrong with our inner man. Either we’ve lost our appetite, owing to not feeding enough, or simply because we’re sick.

The great invitation to eat comes in Isaiah Chapter; ‘Listen, listen to me and eat what is good and your soul will delight in the richest of fare, Give ear and come to me, hear me that your souls may live’ (Isaiah 55:2-3).

I pray today like David you will thirst for God and long for Him to feed you with His word.

Prayer: Lord, thank You that You gave me my human spirit, and You want to fellowship and communicate with me. Help me to develop an appetite for Your Word! I want to delight myself in Your Word and not to neglect my inner man. Revive me and keep me hungry for You! Amen.
Today's Writer : Joan Rono
Annukka

Thought

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 26.01.2016 13:02

Today's Verse for 01/26/2016
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." — Genesis 1:26

Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse
Thought

While we are creatures made by a loving Creator, we are so much more than animals. There is something distinctive and special about a human being compared with the rest of creation. God made us to rule over the animal world. But rule does not mean ruin! Since creation is part of God's testimony to himself (Psalm 19 & Romans 1:20), then we certainly don't want to ruin that testimony. In fact, being made in God's likeness, we want to rule with the grace, benevolence, and care that God himself uses.
Prayer

Father, help me see all the beauty of your creation. Guard me from wastefulness. Guide me into the proper use of the natural resources with which you have so generously blessed me. Most of all, direct my decisions in the way I impact your creation. May my lifestyle and my personal life never damage the beauty of your voice in my world. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Annukka

When God, When?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 27.01.2016 13:22

27 January, 2016
When God, When?

"We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised."
Hebrews 6:12, NIV

Have you ever received a promise from God, and then wondered if it will ever come to pass? I have, and so did several people in the Bible.

It was twenty five years before Abraham held Isaac in his arms, over a decade before Joseph became a leader in Egypt and saw his eleven brothers bow before him. Moses lived as an exile in the desert for decades before his encounter with God at the burning bush. Then there was David, the man after God’s heart, who waited many years before he became king over the kingdom of Israel.

In those waiting years he was pursued mercilessly by jealous King Saul, who tried on several occasions to capture and kill him. No doubt David would have cried out to God many, many times and asked “When God, when will your promises for my life be fulfilled?”

Often what we view as wasted years are actually very fruitful years in God’s eyes. He is always at work, in the midst of our circumstances, and is often developing within us something very, very valuable – godly character! As I grow older, and hopefully wiser, I understand more and more that good character is not just an optional extra but a necessity. It’s not just important, it’s everything! The higher a building is, the deeper its foundations need to be.

People want to be trusted with big assignments in God, but don’t always have the godly character needed to carry these assignments out. When the going gets tough and the opposition begins, they’re in danger of buckling at the knees and abandoning the project. Godly character enables us to stand firm, despite the storms.

During the waiting years, God was busily developing His character in Abraham, in Joseph, in Moses and in David, and, likewise, He’s doing the same in each of us. When God delays, or seemingly delays, it’s always with a good purpose and always with our ultimate good in mind.

Delays are not denials, and part of our walk of faith entails embracing this truth. Next time you find yourself frustrated and asking, “When God, when”, take a moment to remind yourself that God knows what He’s doing. He’ll surely bring to pass His promises and plans for your life in His perfect timing, and when you’re ready to walk in them.

Prayer: God, please help me to see from your perspective and not depend on my own understanding. You’re the potter. I’m the clay. Help me to stay on the potter’s wheel until You’ve worked Your character into me, and shaped me into the vessel of Your choosing. Your timing is perfect. I trust You. Amen.
Today's Writer : Sue Dare
Annukka

Make the Mountain Move

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 02.02.2016 12:03

02 February, 2016
Make the Mountain Move

"I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain ‘Move from here to there’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you."
Matthew 17:20, NIV

Have you ever wondered why Jesus said that, with faith, you could make a mountain move? After all, why would anyone want to move a mountain, or is it just an analogy for any obstacle in the way of our life? Now this understanding is, no doubt, relevant, but could it be that the specific words that Jesus used had a deeper meaning for his hearers on that day?

Pondering this recently, I remembered a place I had visited in Israel some years ago. It was the ruins, partly excavated, of a grand palace called Herodion, which as its name suggests was named by Herod the Great, its builder, to give himself all the glory. Herod the Great was a man of enormous power, and made this clear to everyone by constructing several magnificent palaces, some of which he never actually visited, full of mosaic floors and rich ornamentation.

Specifically, the palace at Herodion was built to celebrate a great victory over the Parthians around 40BC, and to declare Herod’s influence and might. But what is most significant about Herodion is that, to construct it, Herod moved a mountain. Well, to be precise, his multitudes of slaves moved a mountain, by demolishing a nearby hill, and artificially building up a round, steep-sided hill of Herod’s own design, at the edge of the desert, 8 miles from Jerusalem. It had intricate chambers in the hill and internal water storage to store water piped in from many miles away.

So, when Jesus says that faith like a mustard seed will move a mountain, I wonder if those first disciples, in whose lifetime the earth-moving power of Herod the Great had been clearly demonstrated, were understanding something of a practical example of victorious power and influence that we might miss today.

Possibly Jesus was using these specific words to remind them of a physical example of what is possible for a powerful, earthly king, to fulfil his desires and bring himself glory. Jesus was saying, if Herod can do that, then your God, the great King over all things, is even more powerful. And, what’s more, His mountain-moving power is available through our simple, and possibly even miniscule, faith.

After all, if Herod the Great could desire to move a mountain and accomplish this for his own aggrandisement, then surely God can do whatever He desires to bring glory to His Own Righteous Name. We only need to believe that this is possible.

Prayer: Father God, I know Your word tells me that nothing is impossible for You, and, if You wanted to, You could move a mountain. Help me to be real about my level of belief in Your ability to fulfil Your desires on earth, and to increasingly grasp that even my very weak and small faith in You will in some way help You to fulfil Your desires on earth. I pray this in Jesus’ mighty name. Amen.
Today's Writer : Denise Cross
Annukka

God’s Promises

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 04.02.2016 12:06

04 February, 2016
God’s Promises

\"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.\\\"
Matthew 28:19-20, NLT

Last week we’d been out in the park with three of our grandchildren, and were on our way back to the car when the smallest one, (three years old), declared that she couldn’t walk any further. Normally I would carry her on my back, but she was so muddy that I picked her up and cradled her, as you would a baby, to avoid the muddy boots. So she was looking straight up into the sky.

She said, “Oh look, a rainbow Grandma!”And sure enough, there was a rainbow, directly above us, in a clear blue sky, with barely a cloud to be seen, and no sign of rain. It was a full semicircle, but just ended in the sky, not like all the ones I’d ever seen before, which touched the horizon at both ends.

My immediate thoughts were to wonder who it was for, and why had God sent this reminder of His Covenant promises to us. He first put the rainbow in the sky after the flood, to be a sign of His Covenant never to destroy all life on earth with a flood again (Genesis Chapter 9).

Quite a comforting thought with all the rain we’ve had this winter, and the threat that global warming might melt the polar ice caps and flood the world!Anyway, most of us still think of the rainbow as a sign from God. But now it reminds us of the New Covenant that Jesus came to make on our behalf.

I don’t know who it was that day needing reassurance that God was with them, but it gave me a joyful reminder that God is still sovereign, and His promises are unbreakable. Despite all the news we hear, making us aware that we no longer live in a Christian country, despite the government trying to solve the problems with man’s ideas, and no reference to God, and despite the increasing suggestion that we’ll soon become an Islamic nation, God is still God.His promises to us, His people, are unbreakable.

It got me meditating again on the word Covenant, and all that it means. It brings such joy to be able to rest in the Covenant that Jesus made for us, with the unbreakable promises to love us, save us, do the best for us, sanctify us, and be with us.

I can recommend doing a Bible study on the word ‘Covenant’, by either putting it into a Bible search engine, or looking it up in a concordance. Whoever has said “Yes, please” to a relationship with Jesus as Saviour and Lord, is‘in’, by which I mean they are covered by the Covenant promises, and there’s no doubt about it.

The Bible verse for today has a both a commandment and a promise in it for those in this Covenant relationship with Him; ‘Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age’ (Matthew 28:19-20).

Prayer: Lord Jesus we’re so gratefulthat, because You resisted temptation,You were able to seal the New Covenant on our behalf with the Father, and restore relationship between us and Him. Please help us to fully grasp all that it means, and receive blessings that You have for us. Thank You for the rainbow, a sign of Your Covenant promises to us. Amen.

Today's Writer : Dotty Cockcroft Dotty Cockcroft is on the associate ministry and teaching teams at Glyndley Manor where she has been involved for about 20 years. She is married with 3 grown up children and 3 gorgeous grandchildren and works as a Practice Nurse. She passionately believes God wants us to move into His healing and wholeness. Related Links Click Here to read Peter Horrobin`s blog

Like God’s Promises on Facebook share on Twitter Google Plus One Button
Annukka

Romans 12:3.

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 05.02.2016 20:36

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.” Romans 12:3.

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
Do you try to be the best or do you simply try to do your best? The perfectionist has to be the best. He has to be #1. He can’t accept himself.

The grace of God exalts a man without inflating him, and it humbles a man without debasing him. The person who strives for excellence says, “I am what I am by the grace of God.”

Do you value yourself by what you do or by what you are? You have a choice. You can either choose to see yourself as God sees you, or you can choose to see yourself as the world sees you. Whose opinion will you listen to today?

ACTION POINT:
Is there someone in your life whose opinion matters deeply to you? Instead of defining who you are by their opinions, measure yourself by God’s standard in His Word.
Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message
Facebook
Twitter
Website
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum