tuumis

Devotional 2016

Valvoja: Annukka

‘I think’ Versus ‘It is written’

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 10.01.2016 11:24

10 January, 2016
Today's Free Devotional from Ellel Ministries International
‘I think’ Versus ‘It is written’

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
Romans 12:2, NIV

When we become Christians many of us experience that the Word of God challenges our own ideas and views about life, our perception of what’s moral, what’s right and what’s wrong. Then we start the process of renewing our mind according to Scripture.

This process isn’t a quick one, as we discover deeply rooted beliefs in us, which are contrary to the Word of God. We have to learn how to let them go, accept the truth of God, and learn how to live out that truth.

The process of renewing our mind and our beliefs is so important, as our own perceptions of life are most likely to contradict the truth of God’s Word. But it’s not unusual to hear Christians sticking to the concept of ‘I think so’, rather than ‘it’s written in the Bible’.

Recently I had a conversation with my friends about healing ministry in the body of Christ. It was sad for me to realise that their church leaders don’t support the idea of people having problems from the past, and the need of deliverance and healing.

They believe that, once we become Christians, we’re new creations and the past is now left in the past. Yes, we are new creations, but does it mean that we no longer have to deal with the choices and decisions we made in the past, and our involvements in ungodly things?

Do we really know the heart of God concerning healing and deliverance in this particular case, or do we just ‘think’ we know better? There are many examples of this. It could be our view on how to discipline children, how to use our money, tithing, or how we are to treat other people. It could even be beliefs we got from our parents.

All the areas of our life have to go through the process of being weighed against the Word of God, so we can have the same mind as the Lord on everything. Some may prefer to stay with their own beliefs, and not change them, but doing this is more likely to bring inner conflict within them as Christians.

We need let go of the ‘I think’ mentality and let the Lord renew our mind, and sanctify it. We need to allow God to build His firm foundation in our lives, based on Scripture. And when the temptations come and difficulties arise we’ll know what’s written in the Bible. We’ll know how to choose God's way.

Is there anything in your life that needs to be lined up with the Word of God? Are there any beliefs and deep rooted thoughts that need to be brought into the light of God’s Word? Are there any areas that need to be built on Scripture instead of your thinking and views of life?

Let's ask the Lord to show us. Our minds should be renewed, so we can think like Him, talk like Him and live like Him.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I pray that You will show me any areas in my life that need to be lined up with Your Word. Help me to believe what’s written in the Bible, instead of what I think is right, in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Today's Writer : Yulia Kimani
Annukka

Mark 1:11

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 11.01.2016 21:37

Today's Verse for 01/11/2016

And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." — Mark 1:11
Share on Facebook | Discuss this Verse
Thought

Shortly after Jesus' baptism, he went to face Satan in a grueling 40 days of temptation. Remember what Satan's opening words were? "If you are the Son of God..." Wasn't it great that God had already reassured him of his relationship before it was questioned? What do those you love need to hear from you today? You don't know when their time of trial will come; you just know it will, so go ahead and reassure them before it's necessary!
Prayer

Almighty and loving Father, please help me to say the right words of love and affection to those whom I love so that when temptation comes, or when others try to draw them away from me, they will not doubt my love for them. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
The Thoughts and Prayers for Today's Verse are written by Phil Ware. You can email questions or comments to phil@heartlight.org.
Today's Verse Illustrated
Annukka

What Sort of Light Are We Shining?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 12.01.2016 10:42

12 January, 2016
What Sort of Light Are We Shining?

"Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, notable and good deeds and recognise and honour and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven."
Matthew 5: 16, Amp

I was recently teaching at our centre in Holland, the beautiful Baak House. We had a lovely sunny day in Holland – such a change from all the rain and floods I’ve had at home in Cumbria – and I was watching the birds swimming on the moat, which surrounds nearly all of the property. The water was completely still, apart from the V-shaped trails that each duck or coot left behind it, and it made me wonder what sort of trail we leave behind us as we go through life.

I’m not thinking so much of our personal reputation, but the reputation of our Lord and Saviour.

My father, who wasn’t a believer, had a work colleague who professed to being a Christian, but he wasn’t always strictly honest in his way of handling money, and doing business in general. My father always cited this man as a really bad example of how Christians behave. This man’s faith obviously hadn’t made any difference in his life.

My father, who was a very honest man himself (sometimes painfully so), would say that this man’s example didn’t encourage him to follow Jesus.

As we go through life we’re representing our Saviour to those around us. What sort of impression do they receive of Him through our lives, our behaviour, our speech and actions? I sometimes think that Christians can be so unkind to each other, let alone to those outside the Church, that we can’t be very good advertisements for our faith.

Perhaps, at the beginning of this New Year, we could think a little harder about the trail we want to leave behind us. Who knows, the ripples may reach out to unexpected places and touch those you thought could never be touched.

Prayer: Dear Father God, I realise that I often make mistakes and don’t always represent You in the best way that I could. Please forgive me. Please help me to resolve to change what I need to change in the coming year, so that the light of Jesus can truly shine through me. In His precious name I ask it. Amen.

Today's Writer : Angela Weir
Annukka

Questioning or Commitment?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 13.01.2016 12:13

13 January, 2016
Questioning or Commitment?

"Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves."
2 Corinthians 13:5, NIV

As the sights, sounds and smells of Christmas fade for another year, there are certain aspects of the festive period that should remain with us, and not be pushed away in the loft with the decorations.

The fundamental truths of our Christian faith, which form the basis of so many of the songs sung with enthusiasm during the Christmas period, are something we ought to hold on to, as they’re not just for Christmas, but for all time.

I wonder how many of those, who gustily sung the following in recent weeks, really understood and appreciated the significance of the words they sang.

‘Light and life to all he brings risen with healing in His wings … And our eyes at last shall see Him, through His own redeeming love ... Now ye need not fear the grave: Jesus Christ was born to save ... This day hath God fulfilled His promised word, this day is born a Saviour, Christ the Lord, … who hath made heaven and earth of nought, and with His blood mankind hath bought ... See the tender Lamb appears, promised from eternal years ... So God imparts to human hearts the blessings of His heaven ... Thou its light, its joy, its crown. Thou its sun which goes not down’.

These, and so many more nuggets of golden truth, bringing the Gospel message, are interwoven through the majority of the Christmas carols, and they’re worthy of our serious consideration. The importance of the Gospel message is emphasised by the apostle Paul when he writes ‘This is a true saying and everyone should believe it: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners' (1 Timothy 1:15).

Over the Christmas period I realised again how familiarity with the carols we sing can so easily cause me to overlook the meaning of the words I’m singing. The final verse of ‘In the bleak mid-Winter’ poses a thought-provoking and challenging question: What can I give Him, poor as I am?’

The real answer comes in the last line. Unfortunately I’ve often heard this sung as a repeat of the question in the first line—‘What can I give Him?’ But the last line is actually written as a statement of fact: ‘Yet What I can, I give Him, give my heart’. It’s important not to miss out the word ‘I’.

This carol, along with so many others, gives us the opportunity to reflect on God’s plan of salvation for the world. We can then move from a place of questioning to a place of whole-hearted commitment to the One who came to be our Saviour.

Prayer: Dear Lord, Thank You so much for coming to earth to save me. Help me to know You better, and to help others move from a place of uncertainty to a place of assurance in You. Amen.
Today's Writer : Malcolm Wood
Annukka

James 2:26 .

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 14.01.2016 19:37

BIBLE MEDITATION:
“For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.” James 2:26 .

DEVOTIONAL THOUGHT:
When you ask God for something, do you just sit back and do nothing and say, “Well, I’m going to show my faith by doing nothing.”? To the contrary, you will show your faith by doing something. For faith without works is what? Dead! (see James 2:20)

Do you want a house? Pray for it. Then say “Amen” with a hammer and saw.

Do you want a wife? Pray for one. Then go shave, put on some cologne, learn some manners, and learn how to be thoughtful and loving.

ACTION POINT:
What have you been praying earnestly about the last week? What is your heart’s desire? Ask the Holy Spirit to show you how you can put feet to that prayer. Then, walk the talk!
Discover Jesus | Donate | Today's Message
Facebook
Twitter
Website
Devotions taken from the messages of Adrian Rogers.
Annukka

Ebenezer Moments

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 15.01.2016 12:03

15 January, 2016
Ebenezer Moments

"Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen, and called its name Ebenezer, saying, ‘Thus far the LORD has helped us’"
1 Samuel 7:12, NKJV

There have been several Seeds written recently about new beginnings with the start of the new year. As well as making a fresh commitment to the Lord for the season ahead, I have also been looking back with thankfulness over the past year and remembering all the blessings I have received and the ways that God has been at work in my life.

The Bible records many times when the people were encouraged to remember what the Lord had done in the past. Sometimes they even placed memorial stones as an ongoing reminder to them of God’s goodness and faithfulness. One such occasion was after a victory against the Philistines when Samuel set up a stone calling it “Ebenezer” (or “Stone of Help”), saying “Thus far the LORD has helped us” (1 Samuel 7:12).

Before Christmas I was encouraging the trainees on our NETS programme at Pierrepont to list the “Ebenezer” moments in their lives – times when they knew that God had specifically intervened and helped them. We also encouraged them to think of the particular things that He had done during the first stage of their journey on NETS. For some there had been breakthrough in their relationship with the Lord, as they received new revelation of Him and His love for them; for many there had been healing, physical as well as emotional and spiritual; for some there were breakthroughs in difficult circumstances regarding their families, finances or other situations.

Psalm 105 exhorts us to: “Give thanks to the LORD! … Make known His deeds among the peoples! … Talk of all His wondrous works! … Remember His marvellous works which He has done, His wonders.” As we do this, it not only gives glory to God, but it causes our faith to grow as we remember all that He has done in the past. We will then be more able to trust Him for the future.

Why not take some time to list the Ebenezer moments in your life, particularly over the past year, when God’s help has been evident? Then take time to thank God for what He has done. As we do this, it will stir up our faith and enable us to face the challenges of the new year with renewed trust in our Heavenly Father who is utterly faithful and will never let us down.

Prayer: Lord, thank You for all that You have done for me in the past year. Thank You for Your faithfulness to me in so many ways. I commit my life afresh to You now and trust You for all that lies ahead. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Today's Writer : Jilly Lyon Taylor
Annukka

God’s Measuring Stick

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 17.01.2016 11:11

17 January, 2016
God’s Measuring Stick

"I will give thanks and praise to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well."

A few years ago I had a revelation that resulted in a major shift in my thinking. The revelation was that God doesn’t measure me by the world’s standards, nor will He ever do so!

The world tells us that we have to look a particular way, act a particular way, drive a certain car, own various items, be wealthy and trendy to be acceptable, but none of the above has any value to God. He measures each of us very differently to the world and values us simply because we are the works of His hands. He painstakingly planted and formed us in our mother’s womb and declared us to be of immense value; His masterpieces and works of art!

I tried to get this point across to a group of Romanian young people once, in a very unusual way. Bringing a long branch to the meeting, I held it up to the group and announced that it represented the world’s measuring stick.

Bemused teens stared back at me, wondering what I would do next. Moving out from behind the lectern I forcefully broke the branch over my knee and announced, “This is what God thinks of the world’s measuring stick”.

I then threw the two pieces into a vacant corner in the room. You could have heard a pin drop at that very moment. They hadn’t expected such a confrontational example, but that simple act got the point across very clearly. I then expanded on their worth in God and how He measures each of us.

I wonder what measuring stick you’re measuring your life alongside. If it’s the world’s measuring stick, then perhaps today is the day for a major shift in your thinking. It’s God’s perspective that matters most, and once you’ve settled that matter, the world will lose its pull on you, and you’ll see yourself through the eyes of God.

Prayer: O God, my loving Creator and source of all truth, I choose Your perspective over my own or anyone else’s. Thank You that You don’t measure me with the world’s measuring stick, and I have worth, simply because You created me. I’m fearfully and wonderfully made. I want Your values to be my values. Amen.
Today's Writer : Sue Dare
Annukka

Living Large

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 18.01.2016 10:50

18 January, 2016
Living Large

\"‘Lord, if it’s you,’ Peter replied, ‘tell me to come to you on the water’. ‘Come’, he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came towards Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, ‘Lord, save me!’\"
Matthew 14:29-30, NIV

At a recent ladies’ day we had at our church, we did an ice breaker to get to know one another a bit better. Each lady received a packet with 15 little beans. Each one of us then had to share with the ladies around our table something outrageous, unusual, or out of the ordinary, that we had done.

Every lady around the table, who hadn’t had the experience you’d had, then had to give you one of their beans. The object was for you to end up with the most beans in your packet, after completion of a few rounds of this exercise. The experiences shared around our table included such things as milking a cow, doing mosaic art, sky diving, free-falling, sitting next to the Sea of Galilee, and flying in a Cessna airplane.

What struck me was that these were ordinary ladies – both young and elderly – with a wealth of experience of life. It also brought new ideas of things I’ve never tried, or even thought of trying.

One particular lady at our table had only 4 beans left at the end of this exercise. She said she was going to keep the 4 beans to remind her to live more outrageously than she had been. I really admired her determination to push the boundaries of her comfort zone!

But this got me thinking. I myself am the one who put a limit on what I can and cannot do. This is mostly determined by my thinking, and by how safe or possible it seems in my estimation. Although there’s nothing wrong with wanting to feel secure in what we experience and attempt to do, this could cause us to never venture beyond the known.

I’m reminded of the account in Matthew 14 where Jesus had been out on the mountain praying at night, while His disciples went ahead by boat to another location. In the middle of the night, Jesus came walking on the water towards them, and, gripped by fear, Peter needed proof that it was in fact Jesus, and not a ghost.

True to Peter’s character to be impulsive and bold, he asked Jesus to cause him to walk on the water towards Jesus. Of course Jesus was always ready to respond to outrageous faith and invited Peter to walk on water to Him. Peter got out of the boat and walked on water!

We know that he started doubting halfway, and began to sink, but what I see from this account is that Jesus loves big, courageous, adventurous acts of faith from His disciples.
Perhaps we shouldn’t be afraid to live large, to take bold steps of faith, but also to venture into some new things we never gave much thought to do.

Jesus did what man considered impossible. He healed lepers, provided food for more than 5,000 people in one day, raised the dead, walked on water and commanded storms to cease. I call this LIVING LARGE. How about you?

Prayer: Lord, I want to be someone who moves at Your very word, and who’s not fearful of new adventures You lead me into. I know that faith always pleases You. Please help me to take the limits that I’ve put in place off, and take bold steps of faith, in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Today's Writer : Christel Baxter
Annukka

Delivered From Every Evil Attack

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 19.01.2016 12:38

19 January, 2016
Delivered From Every Evil Attack

"But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen"
2 Timothy 4:17 & 18, ESV

Near the end of a week, when I’d felt particularly under attack by the powers of darkness, I took our small dog, Sid, in the car to the seafront for a late afternoon walk. Being early December it was dark by the time I parked the car in a deserted car park next to the promenade.

As I lifted Sid out of the car I saw a woman cross the car park with a powerful looking dog on an extendable leash. She continued on to the promenade, and I took Sid by a different route, avoiding her and her dog. Suddenly I heard a dog barking and turned to see the woman's dog charging towards us pulling his leash behind him. Obviously he’d pulled it out of his owner’s hand.

I was grateful to see that he actually had a muzzle on, but when he reached us he began a violent attack, charging at and mauling Sid, and also me, as I tried to shield Sid by picking him up. When the owner eventually arrived she finally managed to get hold of the leash again and pull her dog away.

I believe that, had that dog not been muzzled, Sid would probably have been killed, and I might have been seriously injured. The attack of that dog in that dark car park seemed to be a physical manifestation of the spiritual assaults I’d experienced that week. As I thought about that later, I felt the Lord say to me, “Yes, Satan is vicious, just like that dog, but he too is muzzled”.

In Colossians 2:15 we read that, through Jesus’ victory over sin and death on the cross, God ‘disarmed the rulers and authorities of darkness and put them to open shame’. They will still attack us, but, as we abide in Christ, we’re protected and kept safe in Him.

Perhaps you feel you’re going through a battle with spiritual darkness in your walk with the Lord at the moment. Take courage that He who delivered Paul from every attack of the evil one, from the mouth of the lion, is able to deliver you also, as you stand in Him and call upon His name.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, Your name is a strong tower. Help me to always run to You, and to stand in Your mighty power against every scheme of Satan. Thank You that You have already defeated him on the cross, and that, in You, I’m more than a conqueror. Amen.
Today's Writer : Dean Gardner
Annukka

Will You Accept The Kings Pardon?

ViestiKirjoittaja Annukka » 20.01.2016 11:06

20 January, 2016
Will You Accept The Kings Pardon?

"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life."
John 3:36, NIV

In 1830 George Wilson killed a US government employee, who caught him in the act of robbing the mail. Wilson was duly tried and sentenced to be hanged. The President of the United States, Andrew Jackson, sent Wilson a Presidential Pardon freeing him from prison and the death sentence. However, Wilson did a very strange thing, he refused to accept the pardon.

This caused the government great confusion, as no-one had ever done this before. Could the Presidential Pardon be refused, or should it take effect regardless. This had to be clarified, so it was sent to the US Supreme Court for a ruling.

After much deliberation Chief Justice Marshall declared that “A pardon is a slip of paper, the value of which is determined by the acceptance of the person being pardoned. If it is refused, it is no pardon. George Wilson must be hanged.” And he was.

Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, not just those who turn to him in repentance of their sins. The death of Christ on the cross is the Royal Pardon that God has sent to every single man woman and child on the earth, past, present and future. But, before it can become effective, it must be accepted in faith.

None of us is worthy to receive it, just like George Wilson wasn’t. So, although God’s pardon is totally effective, certain and sure, it’s down to each individual person whether they will choose to accept it, or not. Until they do, it remains available but ineffective.

Have you received that Royal Pardon yourself? Have you claimed it as yours, and are you living in the light of that pardon?

Your answer may well be ‘Yes, or course!” But, do you realise that, the Royal Pardon, unlike the Presidential one, covers not only your past sins and failures, but all your present and future ones? Are you willing to accept and welcome the Royal pardon for all your sins on a daily basis, or do you believe you’re unworthy, your sins are too bad, or your failures are too many?

Perhaps George Wilson believed he deserved death and not the pardon. That may be so for each of us, but God wants us to receive it, claim it as ours and live lives that are pleasing to God.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You so much for Your Royal Pardon. I accept it as mine right now and thank You for it, knowing that it cost the death of Your one and only Son to purchase it. I accept the power of Your pardon for all my many sins and failings today, as well as the days to come. I know it’s totally effective. It never loses its power to free me from the consequences of my sins, and to make me right with You. Amen.
Today's Writer : Philip Asselin
Annukka

EdellinenSeuraava

Paluu English part of Forum